Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Lax247

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Lax247 »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:33 pm Okay time for a quick survey...3 Questions with multiple choice Answers...

1) Who will the extended 5th year apply to, assuming Spring Athletes only...
A) Seniors
B) All Years
C) Nobody

2) Will transfers be permitted?
A) Yes
B) No

3) How will scholarships be expanded?
A) Across The Board expansion (i.e. 3 additional)
B) Seniors keep what they have
C) No expansion
B A B
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax247 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:14 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:33 pm Okay time for a quick survey...3 Questions with multiple choice Answers...

A) Seniors
B) All Years
C) Nobody

A) Yes
B) No

C) No expansion
B A B
Ditto
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:24 pm

A) Seniors
B) All Years
C) Nobody

A) Yes
B) No

C) No expansion
B A B
Ditto
I am inclined to agree with last two posters.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

A A A, with the hope that it's B A A

Did I read that a decision is coming on Monday?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

This is from the Mens' page, but would apply to women's sports -

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... SLK2ZZUA44
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:24 pm

A) Seniors
B) All Years
C) Nobody

A) Yes
B) No

C) No expansion
B A B
Ditto
the more I think about it. I think I am changing to B A A :oops:
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:02 am A A A, with the hope that it's B A A

Did I read that a decision is coming on Monday?
Vote is coming Monday and hopefully some sort of announcement as well. Then it gets interesting because the Conferences that don’t allow 5th years (Ivy, Patriot, etc.) will have to weigh in next.
Bart

Post by Bart »

A) Seniors
B) All Years
C) Nobody

A) Yes
B) No

C) No expansion
Solid C for #1.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 pm

A) Seniors
B) All Years
C) Nobody

A) Yes
B) No

C) No expansion
Solid C for #1.
That is wishful thinking I think. What makes you believe that?
Bart

Post by Bart »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:22 pm

A) Seniors
B) All Years
C) Nobody

A) Yes
B) No

C) No expansion
Solid C for #1.
misread question. posed as a done deal. read it as what I think should happen
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:01 pm
LaxGuy17 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:22 pm

A) Seniors
B) All Years
C) Nobody

A) Yes
B) No

C) No expansion
Solid C for #1.
misread question. posed as a done deal. read it as what I think should happen
Not the popular opinion but I can respect that.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

B A A?

You guys really think that’s what the NCAA will decide on Monday?

You don’t think there won’t be significant pushback on the committee to reconsider or scale back their promise after carefully considering all potential consequences from this action?

In actuality, the proposal only helps a small subset of college athletes: those who take advantage of the 5th year exception. Everyone else (besides this year’s seniors) is potentially hurt.

From where I am sitting in the NE, I think there is a real possibility that fall sports could be adversely affected, too.
If fall sports are cancelled, it could be politically difficult for the NCAA to change the precedent established by the spring sports vote. And if fall sports are in jeopardy, could winter sports be next? When does the NCAA pull the plug in trying to make everyone whole? And at what cost?

Seems to me that $$$ has to be their prime motivation when they cast their votes on Monday. The 5th year exception decision has the potential to be a really big money loser.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... SLK2ZZUA44

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... mpact/amp/
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"Seems to me that $$$ has to be their prime motivation when they cast their votes on Monday. "

Hard to imagine this about the NCAA. It's all about sports and the student-athletes, right?
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:30 am "Seems to me that $$$ has to be their prime motivation when they cast their votes on Monday. "

Hard to imagine this about the NCAA. It's all about sports and the student-athletes, right?
Doesn't do much for the student athlete if dozens of schools have to cut scholarships or even programs because they are facing unprecedented financial issues as a result of this pandemic.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

The decision to grant an extra year was emotional and hurried. Hopefully they have figured out the mess that this will create. Horrible precedent if fall sports are impacted.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

ProudPapa wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:22 pm The decision to grant an extra year was emotional and hurried. Hopefully they have figured out the mess that this will create. Horrible precedent if fall sports are impacted.
I respect your opinion Papa, but you are wrong. The decision may have been emotional and hurried but it was correct. Only somebody who played a collegiate sport would truly understand how devastating this is to these young athletes who dedicate themselves and sacrifice more than most people will ever understand. Give them their year back!
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:38 pm
ProudPapa wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:22 pm The decision to grant an extra year was emotional and hurried. Hopefully they have figured out the mess that this will create. Horrible precedent if fall sports are impacted.
I respect your opinion Papa, but you are wrong. The decision may have been emotional and hurried but it was correct. Only somebody who played a collegiate sport would truly understand how devastating this is to these young athletes who dedicate themselves and sacrifice more than most people will ever understand. Give them their year back!
How about the high school athlete who will now not get the same opportunity to experience what it was like to play in college? They don't count, apparently.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

laxfan22 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:01 pm
How about the high school athlete who will now not get the same opportunity to experience what it was like to play in college? They don't count, apparently.
laxfan, just my opinion but I think you're too quick to assume a negative outcome for 2022's. There is a lot of room on rosters of D!, D2 & D3 for good players/good students Kids have to compete for their spot every year, nothing is guaranteed.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:59 pm
laxfan, just my opinion but I think you're too quick to assume a negative outcome for 2022's. There is a lot of room on rosters of D!, D2 & D3 for good players/good students Kids have to compete for their spot every year, nothing is guaranteed.
I don't think anyone knows what the outcome will be. But it is clear the potential could be very bad for 2022s. Assuming that lacrosse roster sizes contract back to their previous regular size, every future 5th year player who is currently a college sophomore is essentially taking a roster spot from a HS 2022 player.

Let's use this analogy. Getting recruited to play college lacrosse is like taking a tough entrance exam where the score is curved. Currently, those students who score well and are 1 standard deviation above the mean get recruited to a D3 program. Those students who score really well and are 2 standard deviations above the mean get recruited to a D1 program. Because of the NCAA rule and its effect on the Class of 2022 and 2023s, scoring 2 standard deviations above the mean only gets you into a D3 program not a D1 program. Scoring 3 standard deviations above the mean is now required to get recruited to a D1 program. After those 2 classes, it reverts back to the easier, regular scale. Kids are still competing hard as before, but the NCAA artificially and arbitrarily made it much harder for them. As a result, a lot more HS students (hundreds of players in the 2022 and 2023 classes) don't realize their dream of playing college lacrosse. There wasn't enough room for them, but statistically they would have made the cut in other years. Those that do get recruited are now playing for "inferior" programs relative to what would have happened outside this 2 year window. Remember for these HS kids, both their academic and athletic goals are unfortunately intertwined in the college that selects them. So that is why this could be a huge negative outcome for them.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

njfanlax wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:23 pm
8meterPA wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:59 pm
I don't think anyone knows what the outcome will be. But it is clear the potential could be very bad for 2022s. Assuming that lacrosse roster sizes contract back to their previous regular size, every future 5th year player who is currently a college sophomore is essentially taking a roster spot from a HS 2022 player.

Let's use this analogy. Getting recruited to play college lacrosse is like taking a tough entrance exam where the score is curved. Currently, those students who score well and are 1 standard deviation above the mean get recruited to a D3 program. Those students who score really well and are 2 standard deviations above the mean get recruited to a D1 program. Because of the NCAA rule and its effect on the Class of 2022 and 2023s, scoring 2 standard deviations above the mean only gets you into a D3 program not a D1 program. Scoring 3 standard deviations above the mean is now required to get recruited to a D1 program. After those 2 classes, it reverts back to the easier, regular scale. Kids are still competing hard as before, but the NCAA artificially and arbitrarily made it much harder for them. As a result, a lot more HS students (hundreds of players in the 2022 and 2023 classes) don't realize their dream of playing college lacrosse. There wasn't enough room for them, but statistically they would have made the cut in other years. Those that do get recruited are now playing for "inferior" programs relative to what would have happened outside this 2 year window. Remember for these HS kids, both their academic and athletic goals are unfortunately intertwined in the college that selects them. So that is why this could be a huge negative outcome for them.
I agree with some of your points and the overall D1/D3 pool might shrink a bit (although not in the hundreds as you suggest...at least not in Womens), however, there are a few other things to consider. I think this could actually create a heightened level of competition and parity. Many programs will use larger roster sizes to catch up competitively and even the talent gap a bit between Top 10 and 25. The one or two kids not going to Top Programs to sit on a bench (or more likely quit) for four year may now choose to compete for a starting spot at another school. For the majority of kids coming back and I can tell you this from what is happening right now, many who said they are coming back...aren't, many who have money today are not going to be offered money or offered less to stay, and frankly the Top programs don't want to carry some of the marginal players over incoming classes. There is a real issue on how many kids the schools will actually let the Teams carry the next handful of years and that will impact the 2022's, but when the dust settles, the impact will be smaller than many think IMHO. As a parent of a prospective 2022 player who will be impacted, I'll repeat what I have posted before that I tell them....work harder, nothing is ever guaranteed.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”