Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxpere

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by laxpere »

stupefied wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am They aint "owed "sheet. Its a privilege not a right . They had 3 2/3 of seasons with their teams that starts from September through May each year . No athletic monies granted was taken away for not playing a full season. Do senior hs players get do overs? People are getting sick, losing jobs and savings , small businesses are folding , nothing is 'owed" to the select families and programs that can afford another year. The inherent inequities and difficulties that this would create are clear . Not worth opening Pandora box to appease some . Deal and cope .Time for NCAA to backtrack and move on.
Spot on! +1
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MAAC, big East, Ca and PL should al get hurt by the financial damage I would think.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
laxguywm

Post by laxguywm »

At first I thought it was an no brainer to give all seniors another year of eligibility . With that said , the more I thought about all the different ramifications I realized its a very slippery slope and would have long term effects - that probably do NOT benefit the majority of NCAA student athletes (both current and future) . I think it would be best to move forward as opposed to looking back and not give any eligibility waivers - just my opinion .
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

stupefied wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am They aint "owed "sheet. Its a privilege not a right . They had 3 2/3 of seasons with their teams that starts from September through May each year . No athletic monies granted was taken away for not playing a full season. Do senior hs players get do overs? People are getting sick, losing jobs and savings , small businesses are folding , nothing is 'owed" to the select families and programs that can afford another year. The inherent inequities and difficulties that this would create are clear . Not worth opening Pandora box to appease some . Deal and cope .Time for NCAA to backtrack and move on.
I don’t see it being as big a deal. My guess is 3-4 guys per team may come back. I don’t see seniors that weren’t getting much playing time taking the option to come back to school. Most of those players wouldn’t be scholarship players anyway. Probably applies to 15% of seniors. Most athletes have had enough by the time they are seniors. Even the guys playing. I have seen it in Football, basketball, baseball and lacrosse. Starters. Looking back at my time, I was done at the end of my senior season. Ready to move on. It’s an option.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Chuckman wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:27 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:19 pm Ty Xanders did a podcast with Jamie Munro discuss impact. No players named.
PHI-Lacrosse-OPHY. #76 episodes
Both think chaos is headed to D1 lacrosse for next few years due to extra eligibility years. Lot of good points made.
Concur, well worth the listen, Salient issues include the ripple effect that goes all the down to current 2022 High Schoolers and the advantage programs with Graduate Schools may have. Darden, Fuqua, Ross etc. could all see a uptick in lacrosse playing applicants. Large concern for the incoming Freshman Class. There's not going to be enough seats for those whose eligibility expires in 2024. The NCAA rules on transferring will get plenty of page views from coaches and players over the next few years.

Ty Xanders update
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ions/56225

I wonder if current curriculums will allow players to take a leave during a fall semester(s) to minimize the cost of a fifth Spring Semester?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

stupefied wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:01 pm
njfanlax wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 pm https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... nd-impact/

Then what? Don't they also get another season?
There is an article in Wall Street Journal discussing the budgetary damage that this is doing to all college sport programs .D1 NCAA schools are getting just 37.5% of anticipated financial distributions mainly due to loss of March Madness . Some schools that dont have revenue football programs are going to be hurt even more, some non revenue sport programs could be exited especially women that would likely have to be matched by cuts in mens non revenue sports.

Yeh, lets be concerned with the minority group of lead players and affluent families ,who are 'owed' another year .
My understanding is that the vast majority of D1 schools are not at numerical parity. While they can use other Title IX prongs to stay out of trouble so long as they continue to approach parity, if programs have to cut, far more men's slots will be cut than women's.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Significant names in the portal so far:

Eric Holden (Hobart)
Griffin Brown (Colgate)
Will Yorke (Bucknell)
Mike Adler (St. Joe's)

Reminder that being in the portal, especially THIS year, does not mean a player is transferring.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:01 pm Significant names in the portal so far:

Eric Holden (Hobart)
Griffin Brown (Colgate)
Will Yorke (Bucknell)
Mike Adler (St. Joe's)

Reminder that being in the portal, especially THIS year, does not mean a player is transferring.
All significant players. Not sure what is decided but JHU should check in on Adler
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

stupefied wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:45 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:01 pm Significant names in the portal so far:

Eric Holden (Hobart)
Griffin Brown (Colgate)
Will Yorke (Bucknell)
Mike Adler (St. Joe's)

All significant players. Not sure what is decided but JHU should check in on Adler
Holden and Yorke would step right in at the HOP. They are totally under rated.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wonder if there’s any kids, Senior or not, capable of making a big impact in D1 who’s looking to get out of Amherst after the mess going on there
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:00 pm Wonder if there’s any kids, Senior or not, capable of making a big impact in D1 who’s looking to get out of Amherst after the mess going on there
My advice would be to stick it out.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:48 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:00 pm Wonder if there’s any kids, Senior or not, capable of making a big impact in D1 who’s looking to get out of Amherst after the mess going on there
Besides the Ivy', the Little 3 are some of the top schools in the world. Unless you were part of the problem, my advice is stay and help the program back to a better place.
Typical Lax Dad

oldbartman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:53 pm
Besides the Ivy', the Little 3 are some of the top schools in the world. Unless you were part of the problem, my advice is stay and help the program back to a better place.
Yep.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What would be wrong with another NESCAC or Ivy/PL/Hop/GTown?

I’m not suggesting they transfer from Amherst to Cleveland St or High Point. Half the top 20 are schools one could conceivably do as well academically and professionally at.

Just thinking that the pandemic could provide an opportunity where a bad situation exists for other reasons.
See Martin, Malcolm
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:00 pm
oldbartman wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:53 pm
Yep.
Agree. Lax is secondary. You stay unless you were part of problem
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

stupefied wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:50 pm
Agree. Lax is secondary. You stay unless you were part of problem
Not a fan of this "part of the problem" phrasing. One might get the impression any player that might find it advantageous to transfer away from Amherst, for whatever reason, will automatically be branded as a bigot.
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

I have been following the Amherst situation closely as I am a good friend of a current father.
The generalizations and characteristics of the team and team members, levied at them because of the actions of a few, are untrue. The team and team members are not racist, nor are they prejudiced in any way.
The distancing of the administration from the team, the obvious distaste for the team by the school president and others in leadership positions, the ill-will and feelings toward the team by the community are apparent. All based on unproven acquisitions and generalizations and, I believe, stemming from the fact that lacrosse represents an old establishment they perceive as contrary to the progressive society changes Amherst so desperately wants to lead (which entails much more than issues of race). Coupled with the punishments handed to the team without due process, and the extent of those punishments, all make returning to Amherst a winless situation as either a student or athlete. They have been so thoroughly cast aside and the door so thoroughly shut that returning to Amherst must feel like a no-win situation. Throw in the sword of further punishment hanging over their heads should some minor incident take place by any team member, and the best they can hope for is simply surviving the rest of their college experience. Not the college experience I think any of us would want to go back and live through.
So I would ask that we refrain from treating or judging anyone who might be entering the transfer portal as guilty of any involvement in the incident, or any type of prejudice, when in fact it is very likely the exact opposite is true. Recognize that their decision is much more likely the result of feeling abandoned, kicked aside, unjustly and unfairly judged, and feeling no hope at Amherst.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

PicLax wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19 am The team and team members are not racist, nor are they prejudiced in any way.
I mean, at least a few of them are.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Somebody close to the situation says there was no due process; how close to the situation are you?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”