Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by seacoaster »

I think Syracuse might have been a good fit for her. She could have stepped into the role played by Levy, who has graduated. She's still have the year to sit if she'd headed to the Cuse.
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

I can say that she had a lot of interest, from many of the schools previously mentioned, and some not, with the understandable exception of UNC. Narrowed it down to 3, and then chose BC. Not a bad situation at Duke (her sister goes there as well), just a lot of different reasons for looking to go somewhere else, but not one specifically. This all from a very trusted source.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Am I the only one that just found out that Charlotte North is now eligible to play this year after initially being told she had to sit out a year? Looks like it was announced 10/28.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:40 pm Am I the only one that just found out that Charlotte North is now eligible to play this year after initially being told she had to sit out a year? Looks like it was announced 10/28.
Probably 🤣
Seriously though, it was posted in these forums the day it happened. If you search Charlotte North in the search window you can read the few posts about it.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

She appealed to NCAA and they granted her appeal.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:40 pm Am I the only one that just found out that Charlotte North is now eligible to play this year after initially being told she had to sit out a year? Looks like it was announced 10/28.
See Oct 28 in Looking Forward to 2020 thread for articles in posts.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

What are your thoughts/impressions upon hearing the news?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I’m fine with not having to sit out a year, she’s an exciting player and curious as to how she will mesh with teammates.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 am I’m fine with not having to sit out a year, she’s an exciting player and curious as to how she will mesh with teammates.
Me too.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I never really understood why a transfer had to wait a year so I’m fine with it. Makes BC an entity again this year which is exciting.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

I said it before...why have a rule if you can get around it?
Def will be interesting to see chemistry, heard not much in fall ball,
But spring a long way away.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

And should be really interesting when Duke plays BC ! 😲
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 pm And should be really interesting when Duke plays BC ! 😲
Which is in Durham this year.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

For some reason I think her leaving Duke was a mutual thing.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Can anyone explain to me in layman's terms what it means to go in the transfer portal? Is it like becoming a free agent? Do you go in knowing who wants you on the other end or do you go in blind? What is a transfer portal? I have no idea how it works. Do students transfer out of their current school for academic or athletic reasons--or both?
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:34 pm Can anyone explain to me in layman's terms what it means to go in the transfer portal? Is it like becoming a free agent? Do you go in knowing who wants you on the other end or do you go in blind? What is a transfer portal? I have no idea how it works. Do students transfer out of their current school for academic or athletic reasons--or both?
To enter the Transfer Portal, a student athlete must notify their Coach and/or Compliance Representative of a student athlete's intention to pursue admission to another university. I believe that the Compliance Department is supposed to make the entry into the Portal with 24 hours of notification.
This does not preclude the student from returning. The Compliance representative then enters the student into the Portal. Once the student has been added, my understanding is the status of the student is made available to Coaches and Compliance personnel with access to the Portal. It is further my understanding that at the point the student is added to the Portal, they can engage in formal or informal discussions with prospective Coaches subject to any normal restrictions. A student is not required to enter the Portal to explore admission to undergraduate or graduate programs through a standard process and can engage in normal admissions discussions at any time.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Thanks LaxGuy17
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 am Thanks LaxGuy17
In answer to the rest of your questions about why students transfer, it’s academics, athletics and both. I suspect this year will tip towards athletics with the extra year, but having spoken to several seniors who are impacted by the canceled season, getting another degree and enhancing their futures is a big part of the equation. For some with jobs, asking their future employers to wait needs to be part of the decision as well. In speaking to coaches, they are expecting some type of scholarship relief, but they still have to find the money. It’s not as easy as everybody seems to think. And all of those seniors who gathered together and cried on Thursday and Friday last week and promised each other they are all coming back, have gone home now and are having the discussion with their parents who are not quite as enthusiastic as they expected when the shock wore off. The next few weeks will bring lots of interesting news and some surprises in the portal. Should keep us talking for a bit while we are all bored at home.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I've also heard that a school can take away your scholarship if you ask to enter the transfer portal. I would appreciate it if someone who really knows can shed some light on this. Thanks!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:30 am
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 am Thanks LaxGuy17
In answer to the rest of your questions about why students transfer, it’s academics, athletics and both. I suspect this year will tip towards athletics with the extra year, but having spoken to several seniors who are impacted by the canceled season, getting another degree and enhancing their futures is a big part of the equation. For some with jobs, asking their future employers to wait needs to be part of the decision as well. In speaking to coaches, they are expecting some type of scholarship relief, but they still have to find the money. It’s not as easy as everybody seems to think. And all of those seniors who gathered together and cried on Thursday and Friday last week and promised each other they are all coming back, have gone home now and are having the discussion with their parents who are not quite as enthusiastic as they expected when the shock wore off. The next few weeks will bring lots of interesting news and some surprises in the portal. Should keep us talking for a bit while we are all bored at home.
What are some of the costs that could make it prohibitive for students (and their parents) to choose to red shirt?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”