Pro N Cons Another Season Senior Eligibilty

D1 Mens Lacrosse
njfanlax

Re: Pro N Cons Another Season Senior Eligibilty

Post by njfanlax »

I have a question about the NCAA rules for 5th year of eligibility.

If a student athlete (current non-scholarship player on the varsity team) decides to use his new 5th year of eligibility, is his coach required to keep him on the team? Or can his coach release him and the player needs to find another program to play for?
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

njfanlax wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:25 am I have a question about the NCAA rules for 5th year of eligibility.

If a student athlete (current non-scholarship player on the varsity team) decides to use his new 5th year of eligibility, is his coach required to keep him on the team? Or can his coach release him and the player needs to find another program to play for?
A coach is never required to keep a kid, scholarship or otherwise.
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Has anyone considered the NCAA has just red shirted every freshmen, sophomore and junior? Without changing any scholarship requirements?
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Will players who red-shirted the 2020 season be allowed to re-redshirt?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tiffany talks about player by name
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

bauer4429 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:14 am “thetruth” post well said! There are much bigger things. We could be experiencing what Italy is in a few short weeks. And it’s not like these players lost their entire season, seems like most played almost half their games. The NCAA does just mention “eligibility relief” so maybe they are not 100% on board either.
Please identify the “most” schools that already played half their games by the 2nd week in March? Season was at most 5 weeks in (less for northern schools) with 10-11 weeks to go. Not following your math.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

bauer4429 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:14 am “thetruth” post well said! There are much bigger things. We could be experiencing what Italy is in a few short weeks. And it’s not like these players lost their entire season, seems like most played almost half their games. The NCAA does just mention “eligibility relief” so maybe they are not 100% on board either.
Please identify the “most” schools that already played half their games by the 2nd week in March? Season was at most 5 weeks in (less for northern schools) with 10-11 weeks to go. Not following your math.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I know it is not a lax conference but the issues facing lax are the issues facing other spring sports and I suspect the NCAA final solution will address all spring sports as a whole and not individually.

Big Sky conference supposedly brought up the following to the NCAA “.... there a variety of issues to still work around, including whether there will be scholarship limits, how financial aid will be affected, team size limits and a variety of other factors.”
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:46 pm

If you are a good player, Dox/Kraus we want you back, if you are Gordon , well time to move on. At least he is honest. I guess that is why Video was pulled.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I believe both coaches pointed out that they only have so many locker for the players.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Chuckman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 am
AreaLax wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:46 pm Tiffany talks about player by name
If you are a good player, Dox/Kraus we want you back, if you are Gordon , well time to move on. At least he is honest. I guess that is why Video was pulled.
"...hey we need your spot" comment was incredible. Interesting to hear him talk about taking scholarship money away from current seniors if they choose to come back. It was already a tough fight for playing time, but it is going to be a dog fight for dough and roster spots. The unintended consequences of the NCAA decision will be felt for years. Others have already chimed in, but PG and transfer galore!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Chuckman

Post by Chuckman »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:30 am I believe both coaches pointed out that they only have so many locker for the players.
Toomey was more general in that " only have 50 lockers, may have to double up a couple" or something like that. Lars was talking about specific players and them coming back or having a serious conversation with them. I only listened to it once before it was pulled. That was my impression.

Frankly that is what I would expect from a top program. Keep what you need and let the rest go.
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

These are PRIVATE conversations between coaches, players and their families. Totally Unprofessional. It sounded like he thought he was just talking to a buddy at the bar instead of on a professional interview. Way out of line for Tiffany! He better take some of that time he has and get on the phone with the Gordon's and apologize. I swear some (a lot) of these lacrosse coaches think they are above the fray, so big time important, sophisticated and intellectual. Most are not even professionally trained teachers/coaches and are just a bunch of "lax" guys that hung around long enough to get a coaching job. :roll: . They think they are on par with NCAA football and basketball coaches when in fact many kids would be going to that school if they were coaching there or not. They are NOT the pull. So, when the sticks are put away, he showed his true self as a man and a coach. Not good.
Please, let the ridiculous defense of him begin!
oldlaxjunkie

Post by oldlaxjunkie »

with all this talk about coming back for a 5th year it had me thinking. This is lacrosse. Yes we all love the game and would like to play until we are 90. But lets face facts, even with the pro leagues, a majority of the players are not making enough to support themselves. I was always of the mindset that lacrosse was a great sport to play to get you into the best school available. Why would I play 3+ years at any top lax school ie an IVY and consider coming back for a 5th year? You probably have a great job offer, why mess around. maybe im being naive about the whole thing but even though I would be really pissed off if it was me, I would also feel extremely honored that I was able to play college lacrosse for 3 + years . Im I alone on this or do others feel the same way?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Parputt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:12 am

These are PRIVATE conversations between coaches, players and their families. Totally Unprofessional. It sounded like he thought he was just talking to a buddy at the bar instead of on a professional interview. Way out of line for Tiffany! He better take some of that time he has and get on the phone with the Gordon's and apologize. I swear some (a lot) of these lacrosse coaches think they are above the fray, so big time important, sophisticated and intellectual. Most are not even professionally trained teachers/coaches and are just a bunch of "lax" guys that hung around long enough to get a coaching job. :roll: . They think they are on par with NCAA football and basketball coaches when in fact many kids would be going to that school if they were coaching there or not. They are NOT the pull. So, when the sticks are put away, he showed his true self as a man and a coach. Not good.
Wish I'd seen the video.
But I will say that Tiffany...in the spectrum of lax coaches...is way above average in intellect and professionalism.
Which is no protection from making a mistake. Sounds like that was recognized if the video was pulled.

Perhaps you have some other agenda, though?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

oldlaxjunkie wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:38 am with all this talk about coming back for a 5th year it had me thinking. This is lacrosse. Yes we all love the game and would like to play until we are 90. But lets face facts, even with the pro leagues, a majority of the players are not making enough to support themselves. I was always of the mindset that lacrosse was a great sport to play to get you into the best school available. Why would I play 3+ years at any top lax school ie an IVY and consider coming back for a 5th year? You probably have a great job offer, why mess around. maybe im being naive about the whole thing but even though I would be really ticked off if it was me, I would also feel extremely honored that I was able to play college lacrosse for 3 + years . Im I alone on this or do others feel the same way?
That's probably the case for many if not most, though I wouldn't underestimate the desire to extend college life and playing time another year.

I pitched to my son and Ivy'16, who had a medical redshirt, the notion of extending a year at his Ivy, with an extra semester in an internship. He was seriously considering a grad year outside of the Ivies, but a last concussion ended that thought. He wanted to graduate with his class, in any case. The only way he'd have continued playing would have been if the academic opportunity was actually incrementally valuable.

That said, some guys may just want one more shot.
Parputt

Post by Parputt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:42 am
Parputt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:12 am

Wish I'd seen the video.
But I will say that Tiffany...in the spectrum of lax coaches...is way above average in intellect and professionalism.

Which is no protection from making a mistake. Sounds like that was recognized if the video was pulled.

No, no agenda or ax to grind. Just totally disgusted by that interview and complete lack of professionalism and class. I agree on Tiffany being at the upper end but I just know too many of these guys from a personal/social setting and they are not the Nick Sabans' and Dabo Sweeneys' of the coaching world that some of them think they are. I don't want to group them all together because you do have Petro, Toomey, Danowski, Desko and a few more but... You might be surprised...
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Parputt wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:00 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:42 am
No, no agenda or ax to grind. Just totally disgusted by that interview and complete lack of professionalism and class. I agree on Tiffany being at the upper end of these guys. I just know too many of these guys from a social setting and they are not the Nick Sabans' and Dabo Sweeneys' of the coaching world that some of them think they are. You might be surprised...
Parputt,
I agree that the interview was way too informal and Coach Tiffany spoke about specific players in an unprofessional way, especially regarding roster spots and scholarship money. Should he publicly apologize for the comments about Gordon and other players?

You say that you have no agenda or ax to grind? How about any comments that you have made about other coaches? Your complaint about "complete lack of professionalism and class" is interesting given what appeared to be the first post from your account on/about March 3rd on the Navy Lacrosse forum about Navy Lacrosse's OC Brad Ross. I read your post before it was deleted, but didn't you call him "Boy Wonder" and critique his coaching ability?

Would you please repost your comments about Coach Ross? Do you know him from a social setting? Or were your accusations about him regarding player favoritism and other negative comments based on a more direct relationship?
Last edited by laxpere on Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

oldlaxjunkie wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:38 am with all this talk about coming back for a 5th year it had me thinking. This is lacrosse. Yes we all love the game and would like to play until we are 90. But lets face facts, even with the pro leagues, a majority of the players are not making enough to support themselves. I was always of the mindset that lacrosse was a great sport to play to get you into the best school available. Why would I play 3+ years at any top lax school ie an IVY and consider coming back for a 5th year? You probably have a great job offer, why mess around. maybe im being naive about the whole thing but even though I would be really ticked off if it was me, I would also feel extremely honored that I was able to play college lacrosse for 3 + years . Im I alone on this or do others feel the same way?
^^^ This. +1

Having the option to come back is one thing. Actually exercising that option is a very complex decision. Roster spots. Money. Does your team have a real shot to win a Natty. Is it just for fun to extend college. Graduating with your class. Delaying adulthood and starting your life. Are the other seniors in your class trying to stay/extend, or are you the only one. What kind of grad degree can you get in one year? Or if taking the Fall semester "off," in one semester? Is financial aid/scholarship money better spent somewhere else? Did you land that difficult-to-get job. Will that employer honor the offer 1 yr out? Army/Navy/Air Force. Ivy rules currently in place. Time of year to start a potential transfer application. And I know I've missed a lot of other issues...
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

So Tiffany has done another interview. This time with Jamie Munro on his FB page. He better in this interview. He thoughts on the Sr. Who we’re looking to play football next year and how that is impacted because football players are not getting this extra year. Sounds like if they want to do both it has to be at the same school.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”