Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ketch

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by Ketch »

dp68 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm
Trumansburger wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:08 pm Will be interesting to see if any other leagues follow.
SUNY/CUNY announced campus closures with the remainder of the semester handled online. I feel it's inevitable all leagues will follow in short order.
This is how rumors start. SUNY is not closing its campuses. Just got this from SUNY Cortland. It is representative of the SUNY response that I followed all day with my colleagues: „The campus is not closing down, but after spring break it will begin delivering most of its academic instruction through means other than face-to-face instruction.“ This could change, but I would not count on Ivy Leaguing it. As of now, sporting events are continuing without fans.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

On both the Yale thread and Cornell thread the issue of an extra year has been partially discussed. I may be idealistic, but I can't see how added eligibility wouldn't be offered.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Bearfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:37 pm Shame the season gets cancelled. Virtually all the IVY teams’ arrow was pointing up with four teams in the top 10 and others feeling confident in the direction of their programs. Too bad, particularly for seniors.

Just curious, would the NCAA consider the cancellation of a school’s season the equivalent of a “medical red shirt”, and allow a fifth year?. As a parent, if allowed and my son wanted to complete a fifth year I would have him miss a fall semester and take a fifth spring. In other words, three falls and five springs. Many take a “gap year” during college years and most collegiate athletes would consider their four years of being a teammate as amongst the top periods of their life. Most are looking at a work career of 30-50 years. Why cut 25 % of an athletes “best” four years?

If my son wanted a fifth spring to have four years of lacrosse I would give it to him. Interested if others feel the same way. I also think a fall semester doing an internship or working is a very productive introduction to life and a career post graduation. That way parents pay eight semesters and the student takes five years to get a four year degree. Summer work or internship is not always enough exposure to life post graduation. And to take away a season of lacrosse seems harsh and unnecessary. The work world can wait a year
Excellent sentiment, Bearfan.

At first I thought of seniors being allowed to play next year while working on graduate degrees. But why should a non-senior get to play intercollegiate lacrosse for only 3 years?

Your example really points a way to make lemonade out of this lemon.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

NCAA rules are made to be followed during normal activity. NCAA rules can easily be adjusted to account for this. The Ivy League, who sporadically allows redshirts because of injury only, can also, very easily, adjust their rules. The rules are in place to safeguard/protect the kids and their sports, not to punish them.

As for the last example of the "8th semester" next Spring...wouldn't that be the 9th semester? This semester is not thrown out. Kids will earn their credits.

Remember Duke Lacrosse? The NCAA made exceptions for them. I think they will do the right thing. This is easily a blanket decision.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

I will read the other schools posts about an extra year. To keep it budget neutral a student would have to miss two Fall semesters not just one. That would still be ok with me. Northeastern has a strong “co-op” program where students get real life experiences and are paid and not charged tuition. A student wanting five springs of tuition with four years of lax would need to have two fall semesters of a “co-op” or equivalent of a gap year of two fall semesters to be budget neutral. Still worth it in my mind if a kid wants it and the NCAA allows it.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

The NBA has suspended its season after a player tests positive.

I can’t imagine there is much more of a college season left....
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Bearfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:23 pm I will read the other schools posts about an extra year. To keep it budget neutral a student would have to miss two Fall semesters not just one. That would still be ok with me. Northeastern has a strong “co-op” program where students get real life experiences and are paid and not charged tuition. A student wanting five springs of tuition with four years of lax would need to have two fall semesters of a “co-op” or equivalent of a gap year of two fall semesters to be budget neutral. Still worth it in my mind if a kid wants it and the NCAA allows it.
So then I take it your son is not a senior?
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

All freshman, Sophs and jrs could get four years of lax by taking two fall semesters “off”. Seniors unfortunately have paid eight semesters tuition but only got three full years of lacrosse. Most all of them will likely graduate this spring For them, they could pay a ninth semester and take the fall off. Certainly many would decide not to do that but I am certain that there are a number of seniors who would. When you consider how hard the kids have worked both academically and athletically to be blessed with the opportunity to play IVY league lacrosse, I would find the resources to pay the ninth semester. If they can take courses towards a graduate degree even better. If they can withdraw from school with a partial refund then they can graduate next year and pay 8 semesters and a portion of this spring but not full nine semesters tuition. I just want all the players to get a full four years of lax. They deserve it. And yes my son is not a senior. If he was I would pay a ninth or Have him try to withdraw this spring or see if he could parlay the ninth semester into graduate school courses. I would support whatever he wanted provided he gets a fifth spring to play four full years
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bearfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:52 pm All freshman, Sophs and jrs could get four years of lax by taking two fall semesters “off”. Seniors unfortunately have paid eight semesters tuition but only got three full years of lacrosse. Most all of them will likely graduate this spring For them, they could pay a ninth semester and take the fall off. Certainly many would decide not to do that but I am certain that there are a number of seniors who would. When you consider how hard the kids have worked both academically and athletically to be blessed with the opportunity to play IVY league lacrosse, I would find the resources to pay the ninth semester. If they can take courses towards a graduate degree even better. If they can withdraw from school with a partial refund then they can graduate next year and pay 8 semesters and a portion of this spring but not full nine semesters tuition. I just want all the players to get a full four years of lax. They deserve it. And yes my son is not a senior. If he was I would pay a ninth or Have him try to withdraw this spring or see if he could parlay the ninth semester into graduate school courses. I would support whatever he wanted provided he gets a fifth spring to play four full years
I thought about that.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

If a senior is graduating this spring and they wanted to pay to come back for a 9th semester, wouldn’t it have to be in the context of starting a graduate program? After graduating from a school I don’t think you can pay to come back to take more undergrad classes (maybe audit them but then you would not be enrolled and not eligible for sports teams). Not an issue at some schools but Ivys would have to make some exceptions. At some public schools where more kids might be able to do this, it could make for an awkward roster crunch next spring if 7 or 8 seniors return. I absolutely favor them trying to do so if they wish and feel awful for them but it will not be logistically simple.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

If the NCAA made some kind of exception to let them red shirt and play next year, wouldn't they need to do that for all of the athletes in College, not just the Seniors. Although it would be the most disappointing to lose this year being a senior, everyone else is losing a year as well. So would need to give all college athletes that option I would think.

then there is team size, scholarships that a team is planning on losing to give to the incoming Freshman, and so forth. It could be a very difficult task to do it.

Also, I don't understand what some of you were talking about when it came to missing 2 fall semesters and that would allow you to have a 5th year? Could someone explain that one to me.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

This may be repetitive, but Harvard's AD announced that all Harvard athletic participation in winter sports' post-season activity has been cancelled.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Regarding 5th years, each of these teams have roster size restrictions in addition to scholarship restrictions so there’s not going to be a lot of room for 5th years even if the NCAA grants it which would require them to change their rules. Assuming that happens maybe Teat, Ierlan, Sowers and a few others find spots in the ACC or Big 10 but they should just go to the PLL and get paid.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

I will try to explain the idea of missing two fall semesters to get a fifth year. A four year degree=8 semesters of classes and tuition

Take this year, the season is cancelled so it counts as 0 years lax and one year(2 semesters) tuition. If you want four years of lax you need four more semesters of spring. Four semesters of spring lax gives you two years of tuition paid. All players this year paid fall tuition and spring tuition but had their lax cancelled so O lax and one year tuition. Of the four future springs you need for four years lax you need to take two falls off or you will be paying a ninth and tenth semester’s tuition. I did not consider seniors in my initial post.

If a senior stays this year he will have paid eight semesters and likely graduate. If I had a senior and they wanted that fifth year to get four full years of lax and were granted a fifth year I would try to withdraw this spring and take next fall off and play lax in and graduate in spring 21

Another point, it is a big health issue and crisis but I am not thrilled paying IVY league tuition for an absent campus and on-line courses.

I hope this clarifies the “two fall semesters off” concept.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Bearfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:37 pm I will try to explain the idea of missing two fall semesters to get a fifth year. A four year degree=8 semesters of classes and tuition

Take this year, the season is cancelled so it counts as 0 years lax and one year(2 semesters) tuition. If you want four years of lax you need four more semesters of spring. Four semesters of spring lax gives you two years of tuition paid. All players this year paid fall tuition and spring tuition but had their lax cancelled so O lax and one year tuition. Of the four future springs you need for four years lax you need to take two falls off or you will be paying a ninth and tenth semester’s tuition. I did not consider seniors in my initial post.

If a senior stays this year he will have paid eight semesters and likely graduate. If I had a senior and they wanted that fifth year to get four full years of lax and were granted a fifth year I would try to withdraw this spring and take next fall off and play lax in and graduate in spring 21

Another point, it is a big health issue and crisis but I am not thrilled paying IVY league tuition for an absent campus and on-line courses.

The Ivies have restrictions on roster spots. A coach could maybe take 1-2 guys like this. Seems like a lot of dead time to play a few more games of lacrosse. There’s a lot more to life out there. I’d go experience it and never look back. My guess is that’s exactly how almost all of these kids will feel when they have to decide.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Bearfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:37 pm I will try to explain the idea of missing two fall semesters to get a fifth year. A four year degree=8 semesters of classes and tuition

I think so, thanks. What about those kids I have seen that went to the Naval Academy prep school after high school graduation but left and enrolled at like Maryland or what have you Spring of their "Freshman year". So they did not go to or pay for college the fall semester after they graduated high school?
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Agree that there would be a lot of “dead time” to get that fifth spring, However I am in support of those who are not satisfied with 3.3 years or whatever of lacrosse

There are some who are so let them graduate and move on. For those climbing up their school’s record books for goals scored or all time goals stopped and who want that full year let them have it. A spring of an empty campus and on-lone courses is not worth full tuition. Are they going to have an “on-line” graduation?

Reggae song more to life than a few more games of lax then that is what you want. I have been working on a satisfying career for forty years. I would trade five of them for a full senior year of lacrosse.

Others with a four month fall co-op suddenly decide that their presumed career is not what they thought and they shift gears while still in school. A very worthwhile experience in “dead time”,

To those who went to Naval prep and moved on yes an extra tuition or so was paid. That was an investment that perhaps did not pay off. Many I know who did that thought the experience was worthwhile And there are many who have reclassified in high school or PG’d a year to put themselves in position to play lax on college

I am just supporting a full four years of lacrosse for those who want it
dmittleman

Post by dmittleman »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:00 pm
dmittleman wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 pm
DA/PU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:03 pm The Ivy League
@IvyLeague

The Ivy League Presidents are announcing their unanimous decision to cancel all spring athletics practice and competition through the remainder of the academic year amid further developments in the outbreak of COVID-19.
total beta-male move by liberal administrators
What an asstard.
Dear Idiot,
26 Americans have died from the Coronavirus this year & now it's 24/7 news coverage.
Meanwhile, 76 people have been shot and killed in Chicago this year and that's hardly mentioned.
Stop letting the media control your emotions.
Sincerely,
Asstard
DMac

Post by DMac »

Feel awful for all the Ivy teams and fans, this league looked so good this year but I suspect they're not going to be the only ones to bow out this year after all is said and done. Just an awful situation.
Oh, and dmittleman, thanks for your input. You sound like a knowledgeable person we should all be listening to (not). :roll:
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

If all 4 classes are granted an extra year it's going to create a log jam on rosters and the recruiting pipeline for 4 years. Not just next year.

If I'm a player, I'm leveraging the extra year to get accepted to graduate school. Programs that could benefit:
Hopkins - #2 Med school
Michigan - #5 Engineering school
Duke - #10 Business school
Virginia - #8 Law school
I'm sure there more

Of course, the Ivies could allow graduate students eligibility - They could retain many of their current student athletes

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”