School Closings

General Chatter
laxpere

Re: School Closings

Post by laxpere »

CU77 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:00 pm
DA/PU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:47 pmSeeing rumors princeton and harvard cancelling seasons.
Inevitable that all Ivies will do so, and I think it's very likely that all other schools will soon follow.
Very hard to say it's too dangerous to put 40 kids in a classroom, but it's OK to put 40 kids in a locker room, and on a field with close physical contact.
I hope that it isn't inevitable, but it seems easier since NESCAC did it. Did I read it correctly that NESCAC cancelled league play and the championship, but left it open to individual members to decide whether to continue playing? Amherst and Middleburg cancelled/suspended the lacrosse season, but did others?

Truly, a developing story. I think that the classrooms are less of a concern than the dorms, or housing. While there are probably concerns about legal liability and/or the risk of reputational damage, I think that the health care systems on most/all of the campuses are not well equipped to handle any virus outbreaks. In addition, the actual cost of treating those infected with the virus could be very high. Better to shift any potential issue, including costs, onto the individual and/or family?
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

From Cuse twitter
Rutgers announces Coronavirus response, impacting Syracuse's trip there on Saturday.

- The game will take place as scheduled, but without fans present.

- Additionally the Tri-State Weekend Kickoff Event in New York City has been postponed.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

UVA just announced moving to on-line instruction until April 5th at the earliest.

So far, the president's letter says sports will continue. Events of over 100 are are prohibited, with the exception of JPJ events and athletic events.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
socalref

Post by socalref »

I think that the health care systems on most/all of the campuses are not well equipped to handle any virus outbreaks.
For most schools, the health care system is the emergency/walk-in clinic just off campus. Most schools aren't equipped to handle this at all.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

UVA has an opposite problem. The UVA hospital is the regional go-to health care source. They will bear the brunt of any local outbreak, and don't want to compound their issues with student based demands on the system as well.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

UVA just announced students are not supposed to return from spring break (which they are on) until further notice. No gatherings of 100 or more people are allowed. Online classes to start March 18th.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

My info is from a student and a separate staff member (Curry School) so I am not saying my info is correct for the entire university.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:25 pm UVA just announced students are not supposed to return from spring break (which they are on) until further notice. No gatherings of 100 or more people are allowed. Online classes to start March 18th.
That's a major hardship for the students and parents if home isn't within reasonable driving distance, and with the kids on break, how do they make this work? The travel companies won't refund a plane ticket back to campus because schools are closing their doors. I feel so bad for these kids. Then again, I'll be in the same boat with one of my kids when her campus closes in Florida.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:25 pm UVA just announced students are not supposed to return from spring break (which they are on) until further notice. No gatherings of 100 or more people are allowed. Online classes to start March 18th.
A D1 lacrosse game has over 100 people if you count trainers and coaches. I wonder how that will be counted. I think the NCAA Basketball Tournament is a big factor here. If they determine that they need to play in empty venues it could be the end of spring sports.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 020741002/

Limiting the number of fans who can attend events is the next step towards cancelling seasons.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

The Ivy League
@IvyLeague

The Ivy League Presidents are announcing their unanimous decision to cancel all spring athletics practice and competition through the remainder of the academic year amid further developments in the outbreak of COVID-19.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

DA/PU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:03 pm The Ivy League
@IvyLeague

The Ivy League Presidents are announcing their unanimous decision to cancel all spring athletics practice and competition through the remainder of the academic year amid further developments in the outbreak of COVID-19.
Unfortunately pretty predictable once they made the decision to keep students off campus. UVA is on the clock. It is probably overly aggressive but university presidents are notoriously risk averse group. Damn shame given the quality of the league this year, 4 legit tourney teams and Brown might have made some noise, even Harvard and Dartmouth were much improved.
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:34 pm Ohio State just cancelled in person classes.

At this point, it's more than safe to say that Spring semester is done for American college campuses.

Can't imagine spring sports will continue for more than a few days.
Yep.
socalref

Post by socalref »

20M kids in college in private and public schools. Going to be a ton of young adults running around with nothing going on very soon. should be interesting.
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

It's gonna be tough to rank the 2021 preseason, since that looks like its going to be the next meaningful poll. Maybe we get one more, and a bunch of teams get to be in the top 20 that don't normally get that chance. Does everyone get an extra season from this?
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Denver14 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:01 pm It's gonna be tough to rank the 2021 preseason, since that looks like its going to be the next meaningful poll. Maybe we get one more, and a bunch of teams get to be in the top 20 that don't normally get that chance. Does everyone get an extra season from this?
Certainly not in the Ivies, and since most teams have already played half their schedule, I can't see some form of nationwide medical redshirt handed out.
dmittleman

Post by dmittleman »

DA/PU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:03 pm The Ivy League
@IvyLeague

Total beta-male decision by liberal administrators. The virus has been in the states since the fall. This is nonsensical. Men and women student athletes are healthy people and the statistics show the virus effects the elderly or those with compromised immune systems.
smoova

Post by smoova »

dmittleman wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:10 pm Total beta-male decision by liberal administrators. The virus has been in the states since the fall. This is nonsensical. Men and women student athletes are healthy people and the statistics show the virus effects the elderly or those with compromised immune systems.
Obvious troll is obvious.
fastgame

Post by fastgame »

It's a tough decision and I feel bad for all the athletes, especially the Seniors.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

socalref wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm 20M kids in college in private and public schools. Going to be a ton of young adults running around with nothing going on very soon. should be interesting.
So you saying buying stock in Trojans might be a good idea?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

fastgame wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:14 pm It's a tough decision and I feel bad for all the athletes, especially the Seniors.
Yes, it's heart breaking...

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”