NCAC 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Redbirds

Re: NCAC 2020

Post by Redbirds »

Lots of talk in this forum about how great for the conference it would be if the rest of the conference got better. Kenyon has been improving and is off to a good start. Wooster and Wittenberg had nice wins this weekend, and Allegheny had a nice first win and has the looks of potential. Wooster's blowout win could indicate good things to come. Wittenberg has been up and down, but blowing out Transy is a nice result.
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

Yes and Oberlin beat Albion, the team that beat Wooster a few weeks ago. More games and match-ups for all. Looking for consistency and the respective teams in the conference to establish their identities. Should be fun.
lando622

Post by lando622 »

I watched the Roanoke VS Denison game yesterday as a new follower of Denison and I was really impressed with the livestream and their two commentators. It was as enjoyable or even better for commentary than a lot of what's on ESPN+ for streaming. Letting it run beyond the end of the game into the handshakes between the teams, the commentators mentioned that most/all the Denison players had shaved heads as part of a cancer fund-raiser that the team helped raise $50K for (at $1K per shaved head). Class act by the team and something I wouldn't have heard of if I had shut down the stream right at the end of the game.

Roanoke goalie made some strong first quarter stops when he was getting shelled in tight by Denison, but Denision kept it up throughout the game and dominated the 4th quarter. Great looking game.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

SureShot wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:55 pm Yes and Oberlin beat Albion, the team that beat Wooster a few weeks ago. More games and match-ups for all. Looking for consistency and the respective teams in the conference to establish their identities. Should be fun.
Albion didn't beat Wooster a few weeks ago. Wooster played its first game and beat Otterbein.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

lando622 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:27 pm I watched the Roanoke VS Denison game yesterday as a new follower of Denison and I was really impressed with the livestream and their two commentators. It was as enjoyable or even better for commentary than a lot of what's on ESPN+ for streaming. Letting it run beyond the end of the game into the handshakes between the teams, the commentators mentioned that most/all the Denison players had shaved heads as part of a cancer fund-raiser that the team helped raise $50K for (at $1K per shaved head). Class act by the team and something I wouldn't have heard of if I had shut down the stream right at the end of the game.

Roanoke goalie made some strong first quarter stops when he was getting shelled in tight by Denison, but Denision kept it up throughout the game and dominated the 4th quarter. Great looking game.
Denison broadcasts are very well done and its always been done by students....Kudos to Big Red....they are a first-class operation in ever facet of the program.
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

oldtimelax wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:18 pm
SureShot wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:55 pm Yes and Oberlin beat Albion, the team that beat Wooster a few weeks ago. More games and match-ups for all. Looking for consistency and the respective teams in the conference to establish their identities. Should be fun.
Albion didn't beat Wooster a few weeks ago. Wooster played its first game and beat Otterbein.
https://www.woosterathletics.com/sports ... 0208qd7rj4

FYI-Wooster lost 18-16 on Feb 8th 2020 at Albion. (apparently they lost to Albion last year as well 13-9)
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

My bad....was looking at IL and they didn't have it...
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

Some tight wins yesterday. Wooster by 2 over Capital (fought off a comeback). Kenyon comes back at the end to defeat Baldwin Wallace by 1. DePauw loses to Transy by 2 in a tight one. Alleghany outmatched vs Mt. Union by 10 goals. Out of Conf games in the midwest are no longer a cakewalk. Right now it remains a Denison dominated conference. Expecting more jostling for position every week as the schedule plays out.

Interesting games this weekend

OWU/Salisbury- tough test for anybody

Denison/DePauw- I'm assuming Denison will be locked in.

Kenyon/Centre- Centre no slouch, lost to Witt and Ohio Northern by only 1.

Oberlin/Hope- Hope predicted to win the MIAA conf again- Can Oberlin take the step?

Wooster/John Carroll-should be very competitive

Alleghany/McDaniel- Can a young Alleghany rebound?

Witt-off-plays Whittier next week in Cali.

Hiram and Wabash-Can they square away winning records before conf play?
lordslaxfan

Post by lordslaxfan »

I watched some of the Kenyon Centre game. Kenyon was clearly better than Centre, but they really struggle to score. They were able to generate some very good looks and a lot of decent opportunities but they could not convert. I am not sure if their performance was an anomaly, or if this is a recurring problem. Their defense played really well.

I think we will know a lot more about the Lords after they play Roanoke. If they get blown out, then they will continue to play the 3rd fiddle in the NCAC, but if they win or keep it tight they can compete with OWU this year.
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

Trying to get updates regarding continuation of NCAC lacrosse given Covid-19. It looks like all are going to remote learning either now, thru respective spring breaks or possibly through the remainder of the year.

Regarding lacrosse/spring sports here is what I've read to date:

OWU and Witt- sports continue with attendance restrictions

Kenyon-suspension of all sports till 4/1 with league contests postponed till later date, non conf cancelled within that time.

Oberlin-Home contests good with no fans till March 25. Away game travel suspended. Decision on continuation of season at that time.

DePauw- Home contests good-no fans, away contests I'm unclear.

I realize this is fluid and can change by the day/hour.

Does anyone have other intel/corrections/updates to the above? Still trying to find official announcements from Denison, Wooster, Alleghany, Hiram and Wabash.
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

Oberlin and DePauw cancel spring seasons beginning today 3/12.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Denison’s website says all Spring Break athletic trips are canceled. However Spring athletes are being allowed to stay on campus and “coaches are working on adding local contests to their schedule”.

So as far as men’s lacrosse goes, no Mustang Classic, but the door has been left open for some semblance of a season continuing - if there are other local programs willing to still play.

So sounds like no pan-NCAC policy being implemented yet seeing how previous poster says Oberlin and DePauw have canceled their seasons.
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

Unfortunately Wittenberg cancelled all Spring sport seasons late yesterday as well. As stated, the NCAC has not issued a collective response to Covid 19. In light of recent NCAA and Pro-Sports shut down, I would expect more teams to follow. Shared heartbreak.
SureShot

Post by SureShot »

OWU cancels all Spring sports for the season effective Monday 3/16. The day gets tougher.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Today was supposed to be the annual OWU v DU men's lacrosse regular season rivalry game. One of D3 rivalry gems. Since there is going to be no game this year, Denison Sports Network is replaying 2 of the better games seen in this matchup recently! These are both "instant classics" but if you only have time to watch one ... my suggestion is the 2016 game. The 2016 Big Red was one of the most talented teams Coach Caravana has ever ran out on the field. This team would wind up losing in the NCAAs quaterfinals to eventual National Champion Salisbury in OT. A game which itself was one of the recent "Instant Classic" contested recently between SU and DU. But before they could hop on the bus for the journey to Seagull Stadium, they would have to face their bitter rival in the NCAC Championship game to insure their spot in the national tournament! Spoiler alert .... the last 4 minutes are AMAZING!

As we watch these games and relive the excitement of beating your historic rival, we should take a second and appreciate what this year's senior class has lost.... their chance to add to the lore as seniors and go out with their own NCAC Championship memories as leaders of the program! So hats off to the 2020 Senior class. There is NO doubt in my mind when I say they would have added another notch in the belt of DU over OWU in men's lacrosse this year and later stretch the current NCAC Tournament Championships to 5 straight!

Here's the link to the games .....
https://www.denisonbigred.com/sports/mlax/index
Last edited by Nosey Ned on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

Thanks Ned! Awesome games and awesome post!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Agree; great games and well worth watching. Thanks, Ned.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Hey OldWU....welcome to the thread.

Those were all good games as well for sure! Since they were just highlights you never see the score but I think they were all 1 goal wins for the Bishops. Definitely one of the great D3 lax rivalries. I’d love watch these and the 2017 and 2019 games that were played at OWU in full....those 2 were also instant classics, great comeback games. Hopefully one of the schools will offer replays of those games in full one day soon!

Can’t wait till 2021 to get this great rivalry back on track!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Here’s the highlights from the 2019 comeback. DU was down 5 in the 3rd Q and cameback for a 16-13 win on the road on the back of a 7 goal second half from #2 Att Butler; great FO work by #19 DeCamp and great team defense led by #50 goalie McKenney and #24 LSM Broderick.

https://youtu.be/KCIZK9CBqTc

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”