GAME TALK W&L vs CNU

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

GAME TALK W&L vs CNU

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Generals reload after a tough York contest. Goal and team D for the Generals put in a good performance. Time for the offense to begin to get in gear and take care of the ball. CNU has really grown as a program last couple of years. Expect a tough fought game
richard

Re: GAME TALK W&L vs CNU

Post by richard »

York doubled on Witherell early and often. He needs to move the ball if that continues vs CNU. Somebody else needs to step up too.
Dehuntshigwa’es

richard wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:14 pm York doubled on Witherell early and often. He needs to move the ball if that continues vs CNU. Somebody else needs to step up too.
Expect more of the same. Late last year with money on the line Lynchburg doubled him almost immediately, like a backer zone. Held him to 2 goals on 7 shots. Dickinson then did the same or shut him off resulting in 8 shots and 1 goal. Now for the third loss in a row York did the same resulting in 8 shots 1 goal. Three losses for the Generals where he generated 24 shots and
Not just 5 goals but 5 total points in 3 big games...it just can’t be 1 guy someone else needs to step up and bury some shots. Like to see him catch the ball coming off a pick full speed, someone else needs to create as well. If I’m the opposing coach I’m taking him out of the game and seeing if the Generals have someone else who can step up. Generals are 0-3 in their last 3 real games with 8,9 and 6 goals respectively.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Last year CNU played a fast paced and athletic game. If they’re going with the same style again, the shot clock should bode well for them.... I’m excited to see W&L’s strong ride against CNU’s speed up the field.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
CapitanFan

Post by CapitanFan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:54 pm richard wrote: ↑
Y Cruz is gone and I believe the other fogo is injured so expect better performance at the dot. Maybe faceguard Dylan Rice???
Over on W&L. Should be interesting, but I do not know how indicative this will be of CNU (or maybe W&L for that matter) as the early season can be a time where young teams develop and are much stronger late season as W&L, Lynchgurg, and Stevenson experienced last year when going through some key changes. Yes CNU is looking for success now at FO X by committee, but later in the season it should be completely different. Obviously Cruz is a huge loss, as is Matt Crist. But as I indicated in earlier posts the Captains are young, strong, faster, and are experienced. Isolate one on D at your own risk. The Captains are not shy about shooting, and they all think they can score. I see FO advantage to W&L, but the shot clock may help the Captains more. Remember the CNU defense all return, with some speedy SSDMs added.

Cannot wait for tomorrow night.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

richard wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:14 pm York doubled on Witherell early and often. He needs to move the ball if that continues vs CNU. Somebody else needs to step up too.
richard, as usual, you are spot on in your analysis. We really need to catch up soon. Guess you heard about Lax-Fi?

valaxfan
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

. Lots of clock delays.
LaxFan11

Post by LaxFan11 »

I expect another low scoring game where neither team breaks double digits. Shot clock has seemed to cause a lot of turnovers in first W&L game whether from forced passes trying to make something happen as time ran down or buzzer.

Another matchup of top tier D3 attackmen going head to head. Let’s see if there’s some offense this time around.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

AJ running 1st line middie then dropping down to attack for rides. He’s dangerous in front of the cage..
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Good feed, good announcers. Ho hum game. CNU got smoked. Only possible weakness is W&L ride where they gave up a couple lay ups.. I put em top 10 and CNU may not be top 20..still way early
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

That's the danger of the 10 man. When it works it is great but it will cost a goal or two. I like the gamble, though, especially this early in the season. The W&L attackmen do a great job of turning defenders back. That costs time, which has become a precious resource.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Kudos to Jeremy Franklin on an outstanding job in the Booth. He is by far one of the best broadcasters not just for D3 games but D1 as well, he knows the game. Nice win tonight against a CNU team that really looked like they missed Cruz and Crist. Is it due to the shot clock or do these games thus far look like fire drills... seems like you get so little time on your midfield shift that it’s hard to get into any rhythm on the field. The Gennies are so deep at midfield that it seems no one gets much time, perhaps to their detriment offensively. I know Hamil played tonight, but it didn’t feel like it, and it wasn’t just him either. With so much depth at midfield would having Greenspon play attack be a better option and have him on the field all the time? It’s early yet, and it looks like things are still being sorted out. Goal play and team D has been very good. Looking forward to the Denison game as I think this will provide a real indication as to what W&L is and can do this season
CapitanFan

Post by CapitanFan »

The Generals were superior to the Captains tonight. I look at my previous post and was correct on that FO was a huge problem (despite LSM #7 actually winning several) and #42 Hodgson scored twice off draws. Upper class leadership took a hit with graduation. Good news for Captains, there are six freshmen or sophomores on attack and first mid line. Bad news for Captains, there are six freshmen or sophomores on attack and first mid line. They were unsynched at times, and I thought forced passes inside or passed instead of taking a shot.

Meanwhile the Generals moved the ball fairly well and had some nice looks. They definitely seemed like the more experienced team on offense. That said the CNU D had many moments of frustrating the Generals into shot clock affected TOs. The Generals ride caused problems for the Captains throughout the game, and even solicited some ill-advised heaves from poles toward an "empty" net that was not as empty it appeared.

With FO woes to be expected, the Captains needed to play mistake free lacrosse to win. This they did not do. Ironically, someone pointed out that the Generals started off 0-3 in 2018 before ripping off a double digit win streak and achieved success in the NCAAS. There is always hope.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 pm AJ running 1st line middie then dropping down to attack for rides. He’s dangerous in front of the cage..
I think he had 2 pipes last night, NBL. He can beat his guy but there always seems to be a slide to prevent his wicked shot from the right side.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

My take from last nights win, it was a combination of very good Generals defense and CNU's offense not ready for prime time just yet. Having said that, the CNU goalie played great and kept them in the game, or it could have been 5 or 6 more goals for the Gennies. CNU has some fast middies for sure, number 31 jets all over the field. W&L just did not look comfortable on set offense, better on unsettled. Jack H. was awesome at X, as advertised. Big game in Ohio, best of luck to Coach McCabe and the Gennies. We will be watching.

valaxfan
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

As an impartial fan, looked to me like face-offs the difference in the game. CNU unable to get into offensive rhythm due to lack of ball control/early possessions. Understand that CNU has lost key players at the X, but face-offs also about wing play and effectiveness of a 3-man unit.
Seems like shot clock somewhat of a factor for both teams. From the games I've watched so far this year, looks like 20 second clear putting as much pressure on teams as the 80 second total time. I question the 20 second clear requirement when man-down. Man-down unit has played great defense, caused a turnover, stopped a shot, etc. in order to get the ball back, then subject to same clearing requirements as a full-up clearing unit. I get the argument that this is all part of the penalty time, but in my mind the defense has done their part in stopping a man-up goal and should now have a more realistic chance to clear without a time restriction. Keep the 80 second shot clock, just eliminate the 20 second midline requirement.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Impartial as well here. W&L had me worried at the beginning. CNU controlled the ball for a large portion of that first quarter.

The camera angle wasn’t showing the W&L defensive side of the field during their rides, but they must do something with their goalie pulling him up quite a bit because I saw those poles trying for the long distance empty netter while clearing. I saw York’s goalie try for it twice too during their game. W&L better watch that. Somebody is going to make them pay one of these days....
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

It's a 10 man ride. Not an accident. If everyone executes, it puts a lot of pressure on the defense and goalie to clear it. CNU did break it up the middle for a goal last night, but that's the risk the coaches are taking. 20 seconds to get it over midfield isn't that long if a team has to turn it back and throws one or two long cross field passes.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Yea I figured they were incorporating him into the ride. It’s working for the most part so far.... just saying hopefully they’ll be ready to switch back in a hurry should they need to....
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Agreed. Easier early season when other teams aren't as prepared. We will see if they stick with it.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”