NCAA Football

General Chatter
OuttaNowhereWregget

There’s a reason Army-Navy is America’s Game

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

There’s a reason Army-Navy is America’s Game - By Dan Shaughnessy - Boston Globe - 12.9.23

FOXBOROUGH — Army’s 17-11 victory over Navy on Saturday was played in the home of the Patriots.

Perfect.

It was a gem. A furious late Navy drive had the Midshipmen on Army’s 2-yard line with 11 seconds to play, but Army’s rock-ribbed front held when Navy quarterback Tai Lavatai tried to pile drive into the end zone on fourth-and-goal. Lavatai was short by inches, Army took over on downs with three seconds left, and the field was soon flooded with grey-coated Cadets.

You can have Auburn-Alabama and/or Ohio State-Michigan. Or you can enjoy some “Boola Boola” and go with Harvard-Yale — nabobs call that one The Game. If you’re a New England old-timer, you may have once been fond of Boston College-Holy Cross.

No thanks to all that, sir. Sign me up for Army-Navy every time. America’s Game.

Leather helmets, anyone?

This is where the college footballers still run the triple-option ground game and throw passes only under penalty of KP. This is where the student athletes are actually students, sitting in lecture halls side-by-side with classmates. This is where NCAA players are forbidden to take NIL money, and the only transfer portal is the possibility that you might be called to serve if America faces a time of need.

Is it any wonder that Annapolis-raised Bill Belichick loves Army-Navy week more than he loves Lawrence Taylor?

Bill was one of more than 65,878 present on a perfect December Saturday as America’s Game came to Massachusetts — home of the USS Constitution (1797) — for the very first time. Attired in a natty suit and loafers, New England’s coach-under-seige donned a 1962 Navy football helmet — vintage Roger Staubach — while predicting Navy victory on the set of ESPN’s popular “College GameDay” pregame program.

Alas, it was another loss for the Hoodie as the West Pointers (6-6) marched off with the Commander-In-Chief’s Trophy, awarded annually to the round-robin winner among Army, Navy, and Air Force.

Ever steeped in history, honor, fair play, and level playing fields, Army-Navy is a eight-track player in a Bose F1 subwoofer world. No booster payoffs, no running up the score to move up in the polls, no Heisman candidacy, and no Jimbos or Dabos making $77 million after getting fired. There’s no choreographed end zone dancing, nor pointing to one’s jewelry after scoring a touchdown.

It’s just block-and-tackle football. Honest competition. Sculpting the bodies and souls of America’s finest.

According to West Point lore, American chief of staff George Marshall during World War II requested, “I want an officer for a secret and dangerous mission. I want a West Point football player.” The quote lives forever on a plaque affixed to Michie Stadium, Army’s home field on the banks of the Hudson River.

General Dwight Eisenhower, commander of the allied forces that won World War II, played in the Army-Navy game in 1912. General Omar Bradley, Eisenhower’s teammate (in 1912 and in WWII) was a center on the team that beat Navy in 1914. Decades before becoming a critical character of Paul McCartney’s “Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey,” Fleet Admiral William “Bull” Halsey was Navy’s fullback against Army.

The late Joe Bellino of Winchester was Navy’s Heisman-winning halfback when the Midshipmen beat Army in 1959 and ′60. The year after Bellino graduated, Navy man John F. Kennedy made the ceremonial pregame coin flip before a 13-9 Midshipmen win in Philadelphia. Kennedy is one of 10 sitting presidents who’ve attended the game.

Navy won 14 straight in the beginning of this century, but the West Pointers came into Saturday with five wins in the previous seven matchups.

Outlined against a blue, gray December sky, 4,000 Midshipmen marched on the Gillette turf just after noon, a full three hours before kickoff. The equally impressive Army march-on commenced at exactly (of course) 1240 and finished at 1300. None of the students used Route 1 traffic as an excuse for tardiness.

At 1500, glee clubs of the two academies merged in the lighthouse end zone and performed the national anthem. When the anthem ended, Cadets and Midshipmen remained standing . . . for the rest of the day.

Army won the uniform contest. While the Midshipmen went with conventional last names on the backs of their jerseys, the Cadets wore “ARMY” across their backs, and had their surnames on a small plate on the right front — just like GI uniforms.

The West Pointers struck first, taking a 7-0 lead on a 4-yard touchdown pass from Bryson Daily to Tyson Riley at the beginning of the second quarter. Quinn Maretzki’s 47-yard field goal made it 10-0 at halftime. Navy threw three passes in the first half — two incompletions and an interception.

The Midshipmen opened it up with five forward passes in the third, and Nathan Kirkwood’s 37-yard field goal cut Army’s lead to 10-3 early in the fourth. With five minutes left, Army linebacker Kalib Fortner rushed Lavatai, knocked the ball loose, scooped it, and ambled 44 yards into the lighthouse end zone to give Army what looked like an insurmountable 17-3 lead.

Navy tacked on a touchdown with 2:47 left, threatened to tie the game in the final seconds, then ran into “be all that you can be” at the goal line.

When the 124th game ended, players from both teams gathered in front of the vast student sections for the singing of school anthems. Navy first; the boys from West Point got to “sing second.” Then, everybody filed out while the Gillette PA played, “Pink Houses.”

Ain’t that America?
Brooklyn

Re: NCAA Football

Post by Brooklyn »

extended highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnX7GkQ-IwU

so great that we still have some rivalries in the college game - not quite as many as in the past but this certainly is the top one that remains
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Cortland 38 North Central 37 Final. Cortland Division 3 Champs!

FFG,

What do you think of that, HUGE upset! Cortland went for two instead of tying it up and playing for OT. Back and forth battle!

Joe
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:23 pm Cortland 38 North Central 37 Final. Cortland Division 3 Champs!

FFG,

What do you think of that, HUGE upset! Cortland went for two instead of tying it up and playing for OT. Back and forth battle!

Joe

wish I could have seen it LIVE ~ here are the terrific highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN_qcCRitK0

that sure was fun football
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:23 pm Cortland 38 North Central 37 Final. Cortland Division 3 Champs!

FFG,

Joe
Was a terrific game. My friend who’s a 96 alum of Bart was there and called the game. Just can’t get behind Cortland having grown up an hour south but nice to have a East region champ (before they went to 6 brackets they had four regions and unless they stuck Mt Union in the East no team had made the finals since Rowan in 1999 and won since Ithaca in 92 (or 90 I forget). Bridgewater in Va in 01 but ODAC is in south bracket. I mean I’ve gotten behind a few Cortland students while visiting to party but those girls deserved the support due to their genetic qualities.

https://youtu.be/-MUGy-LAbW0?si=-sZgh64Lt1-erD_l

The guy he does the podcast with is a Union alum which I don’t understand as we loathe Union and try to fight them after every game if possible. Started as a joke as he called into Frank who’s a maniac in around 2006 and then joined him when it was just about the Liberty League. If you go to a thread called D3boards.com and go back to the first few years and 100 or so phew of the LL thread you will be entertained. We had a crew of 15 or so of Hobart, Union (cool ones somehow modern science can’t explain, RPI and a few others and we all were late 90s - early 2000s grads so it was chaos. Zero adults in the room and I was probably in the upper 20% from a civilization standpoint-that back in the day then this are the only places I’d post or whatnot - that was fun times. (BTW for the record the guy who owns D3sports.con is both a dbag and just about broke so that site could be gone any day and it wouldn’t be a surprise)

Oh and you know we hit LI reasonably hard for FB right? Our new coach was a Lacrosse player at Bart and he’s half the man my coach was but we do way better for FB than Lax out on the island for the last 20yrs.

POS I hope dmac lives long enough to have to bury everyone he cares about.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DMac

Post by DMac »

Classy guy, takes a twisted and rotted brain to come up with something like that.
Good to know I live in your head rent free and you can't get me out though. Since
you invited me into the discussion, was glad to see the Red Dragons win it all, my
father went to Cortland, was Captain of the football team. Used to have to go check
the trophy case out down there at Chugger Davis Field every time we'd go there to watch
a game (mostly lacrosse) to make sure the football he signed was still in there, always
was. You'll be glad to know I did get to watch him die, then they took him down to
Arlington and buried him with his three Bronze Stars (all with Vs), his Silver Star (with V)
and his three Purple Hearts. Full honors, horse drawn caisson and the works. Was glad to
see Army wearing the 3rd Infantry Division patch in the Army-Navy game this year, that's
the outfit he was in. Didn't get to see my mother die but she's buried next to him down
there. Did get to watch my brother die at the age of 25 though, that should all put a smile
on your face this morning. Have a nice day, here's some easy listening for you.
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... &FORM=VIRE
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

FFG,

Joe
Yours would have been a better story, but it was North Central that went for two after scoring with 1:20 left and failed on a run attempt.

The REAL good story is that all but one of the Cortland team are from New York (how did a Connecticut guy get in there). Most of the North Central roster is from their home in Illinois, but there are representatives from 13 others states including Florida, Texas and California.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:13 am

FFG,

Joe
Yours would have been a better story, but it was North Central that went for two after scoring with 1:20 left and failed on a run attempt.

The REAL good story is that all but one of the Cortland team are from New York (how did a Connecticut guy get in there). Most of the North Central roster is from their home in Illinois, but there are representatives from 13 others states including Florida, Texas and California.
Ardilla,

Thanks, I just got it jumbled around!

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:41 am Classy guy, takes a twisted and rotted brain to come up with something like that.
Good to know I live in your head rent free and you can't get me out though. Since
you invited me into the discussion, was glad to see the Red Dragons win it all, my
father went to Cortland, was Captain of the football team. Used to have to go check
the trophy case out down there at Chugger Davis Field every time we'd go there to watch
a game (mostly lacrosse) to make sure the football he signed was still in there, always
was. You'll be glad to know I did get to watch him die, then they took him down to
Arlington and buried him with his three Bronze Stars (all with Vs), his Silver Star (with V)
and his three Purple Hearts. Full honors, horse drawn caisson and the works. Was glad to
see Army wearing the 3rd Infantry Division patch in the Army-Navy game this year, that's
the outfit he was in. Didn't get to see my mother die but she's buried next to him down
there. Did get to watch my brother die at the age of 25 though, that should all put a smile
on your face this morning. Have a nice day, here's some easy listening for you.
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... &FORM=VIRE
Once you projected limitations and flaws onto my children you lost my interest in your humanity. Moral ground long gone for you sucker. I hope you live out your days in misery so I am glad to know that. If you don't see the line you crossed then heck you. It's that simple. I hope its nothing but agony for you and your life is over. Glad you liek to turd on children and worry about some but not others as you continye to hsouw yoru analog regressive idiocy re LGBTQ children. Just a hypocrite and nothing more, certainly of value to the world at this stage.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
DMac

Post by DMac »

Only place that ever happened was between your ears, but then again it's pretty cloudy in there so it's understandable.
You've bragged to us many times about your lack of morals and decency so nothing that comes from you is surprising.
Puttin' your nuts on anyone's drum today?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

From Dan Shaughnessy's article in the Boston Globe today:

"According to ESPN, 14 of Deion Sanders’s scholarship players have entered the transfer portal since the spring window opened. That’s on top of the 12 who put their names into the database between November and March. Must be time for “60 Minutes” to do another shameless puff piece on Coach Prime."
ggait

Post by ggait »

As a Boulder local, I am very wait and see on how the Prime experiment turns out. My base case assumption is a train wreck by the end of the third season . Very much tbd how things will look after Shedeur departs.

However, the Buffs were arguably the single worst P5 program in the country. So hiring Prime was a completely justified desperation move.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

ggait wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:05 pm As a Boulder local, I am very wait and see on how the Prime experiment turns out. My base case assumption is a train wreck by the end of the third season . Very much tbd how things will look after Shedeur departs.

However, the Buffs were arguably the single worst P5 program in the country. So hiring Prime was a completely justified desperation move.
They may have been the worst football program, but no college can compete with their campus vistas. Well, maybe Pepperdine.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”