NBA

General Chatter
dislaxxic

NBA

Post by dislaxxic »

My Sixers draw a very tough opening night up in Boston.

Cause as everybody knows, the Celtics will be the 2018-2019 NBA Champs, and very likely will go undefeated through the regular season...

Still, some say, they must "play the games"...so let the games begin!

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Re: NBA

Post by dislaxxic »

Sixers trade for Jimmy Butler, sending off fan favorites Dario Saric and Robert Covington...

Well, that ought to get them a BIT closer to Boston and Toronto, right?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

dislaxxic wrote:Sixers trade for Jimmy Butler, sending off fan favorites Dario Saric and Robert Covington...

Well, that ought to get them a BIT closer to Boston and Toronto, right?

Not sure I like the trade but he is a good player. Hard worker. Blue collar type guy that Philly should like.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Big3 basketball

https://big3.com/

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/7/19/2069 ... n-ice-cube

A very good brand of bball - quick pace, less physical contact, shorter game. Colleges should consider adopting this game.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Meanwhile, for some reason, domestic violence remains a problem in the WNBA:

https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/ar ... 101985.php

Los Angeles Sparks guard Riquna Williams was suspended without pay by the WNBA on Tuesday for 10 games — nearly a third of the season — for a domestic violence incident.

Williams was arrested on April 29 and charged with two felony counts, one involving the assault of an individual with whom she was in a relationship and the other involving a threat to another person with a firearm. Her criminal case is ongoing ... According to an arrest report, Williams forced her way inside a Florida home and repeatedly struck Alkeria Davis in the head and pulled her hair on Dec. 6. Two men told Palm Beach County sheriff's deputies they spent 10 minutes trying to break up the fight. When they finally separated the women, the 28-year-old Williams grabbed a gun from her car, placed it on the trunk and pointed it at one man, saying "you'll get all 18" before speeding off, authorities said.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:27 pm Big3 basketball

https://big3.com/

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/7/19/2069 ... n-ice-cube

A very good brand of bball - quick pace, less physical contact, shorter game. Colleges should consider adopting this game.
Man I love Big3 Basketball..... It is pure basketball.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Hilarious. :lol:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Luka Doncic - latest NBA Super Star:

https://www.mavs.com/lukanovember/

In 14 November games, the 6-7 point guard posted astounding numbers: 32.4 points, 10.3 rebounds and 10.4 assists. He’s just the third player to average a 30-point triple-double for a calendar month (minimum 10 games), joining Oscar Robertson and Russell Westbrook.

To me, the real secret to his success: no college just like Jalen Rose said.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:41 am Luka Doncic - latest NBA Super Star:

https://www.mavs.com/lukanovember/

In 14 November games, the 6-7 point guard posted astounding numbers: 32.4 points, 10.3 rebounds and 10.4 assists. He’s just the third player to average a 30-point triple-double for a calendar month (minimum 10 games), joining Oscar Robertson and Russell Westbrook.

To me, the real secret to his success: no college just like Jalen Rose said.
I have been on the Luka Doncic bandwagon since the summer of 2017..... I am a long time Dallas Mavericks fan, going back to the team's founding. I had my fingers crossed for a full year before the 2018 NBA draft hoping that Luka would either fall to the Mavs or that the Mavs would be so bad that they would somehow end up with the #1 pick. He is a generational talent and he is only going to get better. He is going to hit is stride in about 3 more years. The game is easy and his skill level and IQ are off the chart. Just a treat to watch...... my brother in law is headed to the game against the T-Wolves tonight. He is just sensational. His nuance for the game is incredible. You know a lacrosse analogy would be Lyle Thompson..... he played at his own speed and read the game differently.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm
I have been on the Luka Doncic bandwagon since the summer of 2017..... I am a long time Dallas Mavericks fan, going back to the team's founding. I had my fingers crossed for a full year before the 2018 NBA draft hoping that Luka would either fall to the Mavs or that the Mavs would be so bad that they would somehow end up with the #1 pick. He is a generational talent and he is only going to get better. He is going to hit is stride in about 3 more years. The game is easy and his skill level and IQ are off the chart. Just a treat to watch...... my brother in law is headed to the game against the T-Wolves tonight. He is just sensational. His nuance for the game is incredible. You know a lacrosse analogy would be Lyle Thompson..... he played at his own speed and read the game differently.

Wish I had more time to watch NBA since I watch NHL practically every night and/or attend youth hockey games. Watched part of the Mavs game tonight vs the Puppies whose lime colored unis look like they are better suited for a Halloween party.

Mavs had good scoring balance with Luka scoring over 20p. Like you said, this is a good team since it has two really good players up front in PF Kristaps Porzingis and C Dwight Powell. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they reach the NBA finals this year. And, BTW, they are now 9-1 in their recent games ~ that's quite good.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:43 pm Why the NBA is so hard to watch: https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/stat ... 65344?s=21
If you are not watching the NBA, you are missing the best talent to enter the league in 15 years. A savant.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:54 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:43 pm Why the NBA is so hard to watch: https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/stat ... 65344?s=21
If you are not watching the NBA, you are missing the best talent to enter the league in 15 years. A savant.
Who is the savant?
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:12 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:54 pm
Who is the savant?
Luka Doncic. I have been a Mavericks fan since ‘78. I was on him a year before the NBA draft. A real generational talent.
Typical Lax Dad

Just a sensational basketball player. The best talent I have seen in 15 years and one of the best I have seen. Going to get better. A treat.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:36 pm

Just a sensational basketball player. The best talent I have seen in 15 years and one of the best I have seen. Going to get better. A treat.

I tuned in to tonight's game between Denver & Dallas because of him. As you say, he is sensational ~ and in truth, that is an understatement.

https://www.google.com/search?q=denver+ ... x;tb1;fp;1;;

While he scored 27 points in tonight's game, he appeared to get a bit tired late in the 4th quarter. This is when Denver's center Nikola Jokic came through and won it for his team. I thought Mason Plumlee contributed very valuable minutes and that his work marked the turning point of the game for the Nuggets. Both teams had excellent scoring balance and displayed good defense.

As I said before, I'm a pro hockey fanatic and just don't have the time to watch too much NBA. But there is no question that this is a great league and pro basketball is a great sport. I believe the league will continue to get stronger because it is now recruiting many players from Europe who do not go to college but go to sports academies just like they do in soccer. This accounts for why they are so vastly superior to American soccer teams. Soon enough people will realize that this is the better way to a pro career in basketball as well.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Lakers > Mavericks 129-114

https://tinyurl.com/yxxp7tgx

LeBron James remains one of the top super stars of the game: 32p 16r 7a

Lakers took an early lead with 45p in the 1st qtr. Kyle Kuzma came off the bench to excel as Anthony Davis is on the shelf due to injury. They took advantage of Mavs mistakes by scoring 21p off of their turnovers.

Luka played well 32p 10r 7a but had several defensive lapses.

Mavs coach Rick Carlyle got kicked out of the game for arguing with the refs. He has said Luka has been attacked by too many players and that he has not gotten the ref's calls. This comes as no surprise as refs typically do not give calls to the rookies.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Graph that shows how the NBA has changed: interesting to say the least. Certainly makes you question, where is the defense or is this because of the defense?

~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:37 am Lakers > Mavericks 129-114

https://tinyurl.com/yxxp7tgx

LeBron James remains one of the top super stars of the game: 32p 16r 7a

Lakers took an early lead with 45p in the 1st qtr. Kyle Kuzma came off the bench to excel as Anthony Davis is on the shelf due to injury. They took advantage of Mavs mistakes by scoring 21p off of their turnovers.

Luka played well 32p 10r 7a but had several defensive lapses.

Mavs coach Rick Carlyle got kicked out of the game for arguing with the refs. He has said Luka has been attacked by too many players and that he has not gotten the ref's calls. This comes as no surprise as refs typically do not give calls to the rookies.
That was a rough game. Luka looks tired. He has a high usage rate. With no Porzingis, it’s a heavier lift. LeBron James was sensational. I have been following him sense he was a junior in high school. My nephew ran with his crew of guys when LeBron was a rookie in Cleveland. He had quite a ride. Still friends with Maverick Carter.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:03 am Graph that shows how the NBA has changed: interesting to say the least. Certainly makes you question, where is the defense or is this because of the defense?

I don’t like the emphasis on the 3 point shot. There is a lot of defense in the NBA. That’s why college superstars can’t score when they get to the league. Rule changes have favored the offense. Same is true in football. What you are looking at in that chart is the impact of analytics. Not enough value in the long 2 or mid range shot. Favors the defense.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”