SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: SCOTUS

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:36 am Seems a little different than jetting around to hook big fish, or enjoy the yacht:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... pi-ethics/

"One rainy day in April 2019, my phone buzzed and the caller ID lit up with “Supreme Court.” I stared at the two words for a moment. Was I in trouble?

Then I remembered.

A few months earlier, I’d sent Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor a letter inviting her to speak at the Mississippi Book Festival, which runs every August. Our offer was the same as it had been for other authors: a $250 stipend, a ride to and from the airport and a large, appreciative audience. In addition, we would purchase 1,500 copies of Sotomayor’s books to give to students. Could the justice please travel to Jackson, Miss., to talk to kids for two days? In the hottest time of the year?

My rainy-day call was a response from her assistant, Anh Le.

I have lately been double-checking my communications with Le in light of the Associated Press report saying Sotomayor’s staff “has often prodded public institutions that have hosted the justice to buy her memoir or children’s books, works that have earned her at least $3.7 million since she joined the court in 2009.” Like many Americans, I’m appalled by reports of private jets, yachts, fishing trips and other lavish gifts accepted by some of our Supreme Court justices. I went back to my emails and notes and wondered: Had I “bribed” Justice Sotomayor to come to Mississippi?

I help run a family foundation that focuses on education and literacy, especially for disadvantaged young people. Among the things we support are college scholarships, book groups in prisons, a community reading program and the Mississippi Book Festival — which includes an event called KidsNote, where children can meet featured authors and receive a copy of their books. We look for authors with a new book that will appeal to young readers.

Sotomayor’s “Turning Pages,” aimed at children ages 4 to 8, had come out in 2018. In her 2013 memoir suitable for young adults, “My Beloved World,” Sotomayor wrote about reading and the importance of education in her life, as well as her challenges with diabetes. I was sure that both books would resonate with Mississippi students. During our call, Le said the offer was interesting; the justice had never been to Mississippi. I outlined the potential impact Sotomayor would have on students, noting our state’s high poverty rate and its problem with childhood diabetes.

Le said she would get back to me.

And she did, with a few more questions — details about flight connections, book-signing and so on. I said we would be happy to upgrade her flight. Nope, the publisher was handling her flight. I said we’d be happy to upgrade her hotel room. Nope, the justice was fine with a Marriott, plus her security detail was familiar with the layout.

So far, so good.

Subsequent emails and phone conversations were similar. No, Le said, the justice did not need us to provide lunch or dinner. No, she could not accept the $250 stipend.

Did Le urge me to buy more books? No. She did ask whether we wanted any of the copies of “My Beloved World” to be in Spanish. In fact, we did, and I hadn’t thought to order them.

When Sotomayor came to Jackson, we had her speaking in the sanctuary at Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church, the church where Eudora Welty once worshiped. Backstage, Sotomayor smiled when she saw my clipboard of questions. She helped me with my tote bag full of books. She then clapped her hands together and said something like, “Okay. Here’s what we’re going to do.”

In addition to our planned onstage interview, she said, she wanted the freedom to go off-script. “They’re children,” I recall her saying. “I want to be sure I get to their questions.”

“Perfect,” I said.

So the justice took a seat in one of the side pews and watched as Dav Pilkey, the author and illustrator of “Captain Underpants,” entertained a delighted audience of about a thousand students, drawing cartoons as he spoke. Then, it was our turn on the stage. I asked my clipboard questions and Sotomayor answered. Afterward, she got up and spoke from the heart, walking up and down the aisles.

In answer to the students’ questions, she told them about growing up in Puerto Rico, eating mangoes off the tree, going away to college for the first time and working in a male-dominated court system.

She talked to these kids. She asked them their names, what they liked in school, what they wanted to do with their lives. She hugged them and posed for pictures with them. After she finished, she signed their books and took more pictures.

“My success came about because I read,” she told them.

The following morning, we did it all over again for another packed sanctuary, with Sotomayor telling even more personal stories about her life and talking about a civics program she and Justice Neil M. Gorsuch work on. She also gave us homework: Go out and make friends with someone who doesn’t look like you.

My only regret is that we ran out of books. I wish we had ordered more.

There very well might be a culture of poor ethical conduct in the Supreme Court, but there is no moral equivalency between justices accepting rides on private jets to vacation with friends who had cases before the court and Sotomayor talking about her books and her life to a crowd of mesmerized young readers.

The standard royalty rate for authors is less than 10 percent of the sales price. I don’t know anything about Sotomayor’s deal with her publishers, but 10 percent would make her cut of the 1,500 books our foundation purchased approximately $2,250 — for which she had to fly to Mississippi and give two presentations. During the hottest month of the year.

Was that a bribe? You be the judge."
Great story, thanks for sharing.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Propublica drops a big one on Clarence Thomas

https://www.propublica.org/article/clar ... reme-court

"Clarence Thomas’ 38 Vacations: The Other Billionaires Who Have Treated the Supreme Court Justice to Luxury Travel
he fullest accounting yet shows how Thomas has secretly reaped the benefits from a network of wealthy and well-connected patrons that is far more extensive than previously understood.

During his three decades on the Supreme Court, Clarence Thomas has enjoyed steady access to a lifestyle most Americans can only imagine. A cadre of industry titans and ultrawealthy executives have treated him to far-flung vacations aboard their yachts, ushered him into the premium suites at sporting events and sent their private jets to fetch him — including, on more than one occasion, an entire 737. It’s a stream of luxury that is both more extensive and from a wider circle than has been previously understood.

Like clockwork, Thomas’ leisure activities have been underwritten by benefactors who share the ideology that drives his jurisprudence. Their gifts include:

t least 38 destination vacations, including a previously unreported voyage on a yacht around the Bahamas; 26 private jet flights, plus an additional eight by helicopter; a dozen VIP passes to professional and college sporting events, typically perched in the skybox; two stays at luxury resorts in Florida and Jamaica; and one standing invitation to an uber-exclusive golf club overlooking the Atlantic coast.

This accounting of Thomas’ travel, revealed for the first time here from an array of previously unavailable information, is the fullest to date of the generosity that has regularly afforded Thomas a lifestyle far beyond what his income could provide. And it is almost certainly an undercount.

While some of the hospitality, such as stays in personal homes, may not have required disclosure, Thomas appears to have violated the law by failing to disclose flights, yacht cruises and expensive sports tickets, according to ethics experts.

Perhaps even more significant, the pattern exposes consistent violations of judicial norms, experts, including seven current and former federal judges appointed by both parties, told ProPublica. “In my career I don’t remember ever seeing this degree of largesse given to anybody,” said Jeremy Fogel, a former federal judge who served for years on the judicial committee that reviews judges’ financial disclosures. “I think it’s unprecedented.”"

38 luxury vacations
26 private jet flights
12 VIP sport events
8 helicopter flights

All from elite right-wing donors who successfully bought a Supreme Court justice and the influence that comes with that.
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Kismet wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:01 am Propublica drops a big one on Clarence Thomas

"Clarence Thomas’ 38 Vacations: The Other Billionaires Who Have Treated the Supreme Court Justice to Luxury Travel
he fullest accounting yet shows how Thomas has secretly reaped the benefits from a network of wealthy and well-connected patrons that is far more extensive than previously understood.

During his three decades on the Supreme Court, Clarence Thomas has enjoyed steady access to a lifestyle most Americans can only imagine. A cadre of industry titans and ultrawealthy executives have treated him to far-flung vacations aboard their yachts, ushered him into the premium suites at sporting events and sent their private jets to fetch him — including, on more than one occasion, an entire 737. It’s a stream of luxury that is both more extensive and from a wider circle than has been previously understood.

Like clockwork, Thomas’ leisure activities have been underwritten by benefactors who share the ideology that drives his jurisprudence. Their gifts include:

t least 38 destination vacations, including a previously unreported voyage on a yacht around the Bahamas; 26 private jet flights, plus an additional eight by helicopter; a dozen VIP passes to professional and college sporting events, typically perched in the skybox; two stays at luxury resorts in Florida and Jamaica; and one standing invitation to an uber-exclusive golf club overlooking the Atlantic coast.

This accounting of Thomas’ travel, revealed for the first time here from an array of previously unavailable information, is the fullest to date of the generosity that has regularly afforded Thomas a lifestyle far beyond what his income could provide. And it is almost certainly an undercount.

While some of the hospitality, such as stays in personal homes, may not have required disclosure, Thomas appears to have violated the law by failing to disclose flights, yacht cruises and expensive sports tickets, according to ethics experts.

Perhaps even more significant, the pattern exposes consistent violations of judicial norms, experts, including seven current and former federal judges appointed by both parties, told ProPublica. “In my career I don’t remember ever seeing this degree of largesse given to anybody,” said Jeremy Fogel, a former federal judge who served for years on the judicial committee that reviews judges’ financial disclosures. “I think it’s unprecedented.”"
Thanks for posting. None of this could affect his views, though, right? Let’s get back to Hunter Biden.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:01 am Propublica drops a big one on Clarence Thomas

Bought and paid for.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Worthwhile read. Clarence using his office for personal gain and directed fundraising….

But we need to focus on Hunter.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:07 am Worthwhile read. Clarence using his office for personal gain and directed fundraising….

In retrospect, Anita Hill already outed this dirtbag over 30 years ago - He wasn't qualified then and apparently still isn't.

He was also mentioned as a possible component of the Chesebro memo as he has authority over the 11th Circuit Appeals Court in matters concerning Georgia election. Who had THAT number on their bingo card.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:07 am Worthwhile read. Clarence using his office for personal gain and directed fundraising….

Clarence found his own way to get reparations.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:55 pm

Who needs equal opportunity when you have billionaire friends.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:18 pm

Not the point. Clarence grew up a poor black man who endured every hardship that white liberals on this forum tell us poor black men like him lived through. It ain't about equal opportunity it's about correcting a wrong. You have a problem with Clarence finding his own path to restitution and correcting a wrong inflicted on him and his family? Do you disagree with how he went about doing so?
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:07 pm

Not the point. Clarence grew up a poor black man who endured every hardship that white liberals on this forum tell us poor black men like him lived through. It ain't about equal opportunity it's about correcting a wrong. You have a problem with Clarence finding his own path to restitution and correcting a wrong inflicted on him and his family? Do you disagree with how he went about doing so?
If he did what he does as an attorney in private practice? Not one bit. As a Supreme Court Justice, or a traffic court judge for that matter? I absolutely have a problem with how he's enriched himself and the potential for impropriety - whether real or perceived - it might cause.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:14 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:07 pm

If he did what he does as an attorney in private practice? Not one bit. As a Supreme Court Justice, or a traffic court judge for that matter? I absolutely have a problem with how he's enriched himself and the potential for impropriety - whether real or perceived - it might cause.
Unethical but not illegal is the phrase always bantered around. The phrase any appearance of impropriety should play into the mix. Of course these billionaires were greasing the skids for any potential court case that might come before the SCOTUS. I don't know the answer but did Clarence ever recuse himself from any case involving his billionaire fishing buddies.
Olderbarndog

Post by Olderbarndog »

"High tech vacationing?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Olderbarndog wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:31 pm "High tech vacationing?
That depends on how much top shelf refreshments are stocked in the cabin bar. Who the hell wants to fish when some really fine Leopold refreshments are on hand?
ggait

Post by ggait »

Round trip flight for one on a private Boeing 737. $130k market value. Zero disclosure.

FYI, Clarence didn't buy his treasured $275k RV. It was a gift, and that wasn't disclosed either.

A friend gave Clarence a $275k loan to buy the RV when no bank would extend such credit. Then the loan was "satisfied" about 7 years later. Under the tax laws a H/W can give another H/W $40k per year tax free. I'm guessing the buddy lender forgave the loan in $40k annual increments until the loan was "satisfied". Which means Clarence never made any payments. Not one forking penny. And not one forking word of disclosure either.

What a sleaze.

I hope Pro Publica is keeping tabs on where/how Clarence and Ginny are spending this summer's vacation.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Wonder if Clarence reported all of these “gifts” as income on his tax returns? Obviously, they weren’t things given to him as a result of “detached and disinterested generosity” if I remember the phrase from law school correctly.
a fan

Post by a fan »

njbill wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:04 pm Wonder if Clarence reported all of these “gifts” as income on his tax returns? Obviously, they weren’t things given to him as a result of “detached and disinterested generosity” if I remember the phrase from law school correctly.
I'm sure TeamTinFoil will jump on this, and call for an IRS investigation into this IMMEDIATELY, right? They'll demand we "follow the money", right?

I'll sit here and wait. I'm sure YA and OS and the crew will wake up and tell us just how important it is to keep our Government clean from corruption....

.....any minute now.

On an unrelated note, since none of them care.....which party is Thomas affiliated with, because I've forgotten. :roll:

Maybe they can get the famed whistleblowers to audit Thomas and his wife?
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

a fan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:10 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:04 pm Wonder if Clarence reported all of these “gifts” as income on his tax returns? Obviously, they weren’t things given to him as a result of “detached and disinterested generosity” if I remember the phrase from law school correctly.
I'm sure TeamTinFoil will jump on this, and call for an IRS investigation into this IMMEDIATELY, right? They'll demand we "follow the money", right?

I'll sit here and wait. I'm sure YA and OS and the crew will wake up and tell us just how important it is to keep our Government clean from corruption....

.....any minute now.

On an unrelated note, since none of them care.....which party is Thomas affiliated with, because I've forgotten. :roll:

If an investigation is started those jokers will cry "Weaponized DOJ!"

DEPLORABLE
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU88a wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:17 pm

.....any minute now.

DEPLORABLE
Ah, so you picked up their game of "no matter what happens, we're going to cry "Deep State", have you?

If they take too long with Hunter? They're dragging it out.

If it's too short? Oh, they're rushing the case.

And TeamTInFoil, naturally gets to decide what's "too long" or "too short" AFTER the case is done, not before. Because they won't EVER go on the record as to who is "in on it", and who isn't.

They would 100% cry "Deep State" if the IRS went after Thomas. Instead of saying "what a corrupt POS"...they'll whine and ask "why isn't the Deep State going after (insert Dem appointed Justice).

They have NO IDEA this is the "logic" they use. They're convinced that this "logic" fits together like Lego bricks.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:21 pm
CU88a wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:17 pm

.....any minute now.

DEPLORABLE
Ah, so you picked up their game of "no matter what happens, we're going to cry "Deep State", have you?

If they take too long with Hunter? They're dragging it out.

If it's too short? Oh, they're rushing the case.

And TeamTInFoil, naturally gets to decide what's "too long" or "too short" AFTER the case is done, not before. Because they won't EVER go on the record as to who is "in on it", and who isn't.

They would 100% cry "Deep State" if the IRS went after Thomas. Instead of saying "what a corrupt POS"...they'll whine and ask "why isn't the Deep State going after (insert Dem appointed Justice).

They have NO IDEA this is the "logic" they use. They're convinced that this "logic" fits together like Lego bricks.
It’s called hypocrisy
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
AOD

Post by AOD »

Yep, you remember correctly. The seminal case is Glenshaw Glass.

There's plenty of meat here for the IRS. If it is a gift, then the sponsors could not deduct the costs as business expenses. What are the odds the billionaires paid income tax on the amount gifted CT? Further, if it is a gift, then those gifts must be reported by the donors and their unified credit must be reduced. What are the odds these gifts were properly reported as gifts?

If it's not a gift, then you're right - it's income to CT.

But the IRS won't have time for this. Has anyone seen the results of TIGTA investigation into the audit selection of McCabe and Comey?

Return to “POLITICS”