SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: SCOTUS

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:34 am Without the constancy of binding precedent, the nation’s legal terrain will devolve into a hodge-podge of variance by state caprice.

The “United” states will cease to be. Amusingly enough, the most desirous of this reduced, marginal state will be the rural, economically depressed.

Perhaps the more accurate dystopian vision for the future is “The Hunger Games”, not “The Handmaid’s Take”, although the former does not preclude the latter.

I mentioned a few years ago that we may be witnessing the fall of the American empire and that the USA is a young country and it is not certain what we will be…..it was considered crazy talk…. I called it basic common sense and the use of intellect..

I was thinking The Road:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

In the UK, the peasants are fighting back, in the USA, the peasants fight for the politicians.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Supreme Court Just Ruled in Favor of the Praying High School Football Coach

Next time we meet, i'm going to gather my middle school lacrosse team around the crease after games and chant Koranic verses. Any kid that refuses can take a hike...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Typical Lax Dad

:lol: :lol: :lol: What a country!
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:48 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:34 am Without the constancy of binding precedent, the nation’s legal terrain will devolve into a hodge-podge of variance by state caprice.

The “United” states will cease to be. Amusingly enough, the most desirous of this reduced, marginal state will be the rural, economically depressed.

Perhaps the more accurate dystopian vision for the future is “The Hunger Games”, not “The Handmaid’s Take”, although the former does not preclude the latter.

I mentioned a few years ago that we may be witnessing the fall of the American empire and that the USA is a young country and it is not certain what we will be…..it was considered crazy talk…. I called it basic common sense and the use of intellect..

I was thinking The Road:
To follow that line of thought, what country would want to ally itself or be subject to the whim of such a failed state? Sort of like a rabid dog—best put-down.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:33 am

I was thinking The Road:
To follow that line of thought, what country would want to ally itself or be subject to the whim of such a failed state? Sort of like a rabid dog—best put-down.
We have proactively given up our global position. It will be awhile before it’s obvious but it’s coming.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:20 am Supreme Court Just Ruled in Favor of the Praying High School Football Coach

Next time we meet, i'm going to gather my middle school lacrosse team around the crease after games and chant Koranic verses. Any kid that refuses can take a hike...

You could coach a certain 3-initial club in Baltimore.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Nah, suburban Philly...lotta swing-voting club parents come to games, too...they'll be FINE with our new procedures, right?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:42 am Nah, suburban Philly...lotta swing-voting club parents come to games, too...they'll be FINE with our new procedures, right?

I'm all for it.

No different than being "strongly encouraged" to participate in retreats and "the ministry."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:20 am Supreme Court Just Ruled in Favor of the Praying High School Football Coach

Might be informative and save one of the kids. Oh the shock and awe of having someone pray for safety, health, and playing injury free.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:36 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:33 am

I was thinking The Road:
We have proactively given up our global position. It will be awhile before it’s obvious but it’s coming.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:37 am The state is made up by whom? millions of votes or 9 people?
That's the whole problem. Women's rights are up to a vote. This is why we have a Constitution.....to keep States from taking away your rights.

That's spilt milk under the bridge now.

But to answer your question directly, the answer is: which State? 23 States are run by Republicans and most of those are unlikely to ever
flip. So women are completely at their mercy.
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:37 am Sorry, I just do not understand the relationship you are assigning between covid vs abortion and the SCOTUS?
I'll simplify: during Covid, a very vocal majority of Republicans told us that the State doesn't get to tell you what to do with your medical choices.

Fast forward to 2022, and there is now an addendum to the above: a very vocal majority of Republicans told us that the State doesn't get to tell you what to do with your medical choices, unless you are a woman.

Is that more clear?
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:37 am I'd think you'd be thrilled, that the SCOTUS got something right. The took 45 years of an incorrect ruling and corrected it, based on the US Constitution.
And I'd think you'd be livid: you just handed control over your daughter's (and mother's, and sister's, and wife's) body to a bunch of State legislators in gerrymandered States that discard all reasonable candidates.

In what world would an American Conservative sign up for that?
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:25 am
old salt wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:22 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:17 am …..Reduced to 40% to offset the 401K type match that was implemented. Not sure what you are poor mouthing about. I said nobody that I know complained about retiring after 20 years in. Lived in a town where one of the few opportunities was on am Air Force Base. My best friend retired from the USAF and went into private security.
Not poor mouthing at all. Responding to the cheap shot that tax dollars were needed to pay for it.
I didn’t bring up tax dollars (this time). Another colleague’s son is a top gun fighter pilot. I am going to ask him how quickly is he leaving (if he hasn’t already) to go to work for United.
Read the thread before you butted in. I was responding to the cheap shot that " our money " is needed to pay for "your pension".
:lol: That's what you think happened? Who made it personal first, OS? Who snidely brought up what I do for a living?

If you think my return of fire was a cheap shot....you owe me an apology for starting it with your own cheap shot.

I thought your comment was made in jest, to give me a hard time....so I returned the favor. Didn't know you had ill intent.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:49 am

Might be informative and save one of the kids. Oh the shock and awe of having someone pray for safety, health, and playing injury free.
😂😂😂😂 “shock and awe”….
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Surely you can see the difference between:

“Have good game, boys. Play hard but play safe”, and:

“Lord bless us today and allow us and our competitors to stay safe and healthy through Christ, our lord and savior, amen,”

Saint Anthony’s, fine. Garden City, NFW.
a fan

Post by a fan »

True, and that's glass half fulling it.

Half empty is that it might drive away some kids, and make him/her feel isolated from their teammates, and lead to other problems. You're picturing a good coach. Picture a bad coach doing this. Or a troubled kid who doesn't like being proselytized.

You're now forcing religion on someone else's kids.

Can't wait to see what the SCOTUS will do next.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:42 am Nah, suburban Philly...lotta swing-voting club parents come to games, too...they'll be FINE with our new procedures, right?

Good luck; seems todays news isn’t cooperating :lol: :lol:

A political shift is beginning to take hold across the U.S. as tens of thousands of suburban swing voters who helped fuel the Democratic Party’s gains in recent years are becoming Republicans.

More than 1 million voters across 43 states have switched to the Republican Party over the last year, according to voter registration data analyzed by the Associated Press. The previously unreported number reflects a phenomenon that is playing out in virtually every region of the country — Democratic and Republican states along with cities and small towns — in the period since Joe Biden succeeded Donald Trump as president.

Nowhere is the shift more pronounced — and dangerous for Democrats — than in the suburbs, where well-educated swing voters who turned against Trump’s Republican Party in recent years appear to be swinging back.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... -democrats
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

It is apparent you have no idea what you are talking about, if this is the takeaway from allowing an authority figure (based on his personal sense of "free exercise"), who allocates jobs and playing time, to coerce through action children to accept his tacit "ministry" of performative Christianity. This one overrules a case that has stood since 1962. You plainly have an adventuring, activist, reactionary Court allocating "constitutional rights" based on their own religiosity. In a way, this one is worse than Roe, because there really was nothing wrong with the existing "law of the land."

Matthew 6:5-6.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:35 am
Any comment from Petey? Or OS, or any of the numerous posters I'm thinking of just now?

Return to “POLITICS”