VMI 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Tdemling6

VMI 2019

Post by Tdemling6 »

The Keydets have announced their 2019 schedule and they are the 2nd SoCon team to do so.
Can they get more than two wins in 2019?

https://www.lacrossebucketblog.com/2018 ... w-vmi.html
Dip&Dunk

Re: VMI 2019

Post by Dip&Dunk »

(1) Yes they can. Trend is in right direction. Blow outs were fewer. First and second years comprised most of the firepower and defense last year so they are not losing too much and what they need will be a year better.
(2) Any word on when fall ball W&L games will be played?
(3) Off topic but 2019 recruiting class looks very good.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Lee Jackson is set for Friday, October 26th at 7pm on VMI's Drill Field #2.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

The schedule is about as tame as you can make it; Hampton (again), no Navy, no Army. Young players are always the bulk of this team. It would be nice to see more than 2 wins, scheduling Hampton is obviously a way to insure one win. They've beat NJIT since their inception to provide the second win for like 3 years now. They'll need to beat Manhattan or Wagner, not sure they can win a SoCon game. Always hoping though.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

And a really good start to the season would be beating W&L, I know they have become offended by the names Washington and Lee because this makes their students and faculty feel funny, the poor snowflakes need a crying room with pizza and snacks for when they feel bad. Would love to see the Keydets thump them back to their safe places.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

genesrfree wrote:The schedule is about as tame as you can make it; Hampton (again), no Navy, no Army. Young players are always the bulk of this team. It would be nice to see more than 2 wins, scheduling Hampton is obviously a way to insure one win. They've beat NJIT since their inception to provide the second win for like 3 years now. They'll need to beat Manhattan or Wagner, not sure they can win a SoCon game. Always hoping though.
I can see them maybe beating Wagner with that sudden head coaching change Wagner may take a big dip this year instead of a step up like they have he past few years. Agree with you that VMI most likely won't win a SoCon game. If they do though, it would be against Bellarmine as they are going to be just awful this year as they lost some of their best players and the O will be a one man show this year.
soristian

Post by soristian »

Testing site. Best of luck upcoming season
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I am going to offer up, for the sake of discussion, that the emphasis on younger players will not be so prevalent this year or for the remainder of Coach B’s tenure at VMI.

RATIONALE: Prior to coach B, more senior players left the team because of the caustic environment. That left younger players by default. The team environment has changed to the better now leaving less reasons for the annual exodus. This should, yes should, translate into winning more of the close games and hopefully an overall better level of play with all four years of players contributing.

My glass is half full.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

D&D-I hope you are correct, but would mention that I think it is typical on most lacrosse rosters that there are more freshman and sophomores and as players move through school drop. At VMI, there are other pressures, i.e. junior gets into AF and flight school, injury would cancel that, lacrosse goes away. That doesn't happen at other schools.

I understand your point, but would disagree with caustic environment comment, Birsners first few years were a lot of upheaval. Hopefully that is changing and the results will show this year.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

Any report on the W&L game??
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I was at the game, lovely night. 44 and pouring rain, which didn't help the offenses at all. Decent crowd, although not nearly as many keydets lining the field as there usually are (understandably). The VMI bench looked much deeper than in years past, which I take as a good sign. They were vocal and all seemed into the game, another good sign. As for personnel, I had the paper rosters, but that became pretty much useless after the first quarter, so I don't have a lot of color there. VMI defense was decently physical and played well. The goalie had a number of nice saves and didn't let up any that soft ones. 25 was the player of the game, the big defenseman, and 21 was solid at LSM. On offense, I thought the skill level looked decent, again, in my view a step up from previous years. The ball moved quickly, players seemed go be moving well and looking for each other. They had a couple pretty EMO goals on a nice play they have that feeds the crease. 23, the thick lefty attackman, can really shoot if he gets his hands free. The middies played well. The one thing VMI didn't seem to have on Friday night was an offensive player that can break down a defense. VMI controlled the faceoff X as well. Again, overall impressions were that VMI seemed to be improved over last year, and with more bodies, that can only help them in the spring. I'm not sure their results will be much different than last year, but if I was a fan, I would be encouraged by the trajectory.
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

Thanks for the report...encouraging.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Concur with above assessment of Lee Jackson game. Everything as you would expect: miserable night; defense caused many turnovers which offense promptly gave back; side lines better manned because coach is retaining upperclassmen; W&L will always look sharper in the fall since they have a stick in their right hand Sept-Oct and VMI is saluting with theirs. This game will go VMI’s way soon.....you heard it here first.
ManFeelings

Post by ManFeelings »

Dip&Dunk wrote:W&L will always look sharper in the fall since they have a stick in their right hand Sept-Oct and VMI is saluting with theirs.
What a perfect way to sum up just how big of a hill VMI has to climb each and every year as they aim to become more competitive in the SoCon. Even a D3 team allowed "only" 15 days of organized team activities has a more lacrosse focused preseason than the Keydets.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

ManFeelings wrote:
Dip&Dunk wrote:W&L will always look sharper in the fall since they have a stick in their right hand Sept-Oct and VMI is saluting with theirs.
What a perfect way to sum up just how big of a hill VMI has to climb each and every year as they aim to become more competitive in the SoCon. Even a D3 team allowed "only" 15 days of organized team activities has a more lacrosse focused preseason than the Keydets.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, as I have nothing but respect for the sacrifice all of the Keydets make during their four years (and beyond for many). But my question is, what do the other service academies do differently that allows them to compete athletically? Or is it they just have the benefit of being more of a national university where VMI is more regional?
ManFeelings

Post by ManFeelings »

ctbagataway wrote:
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, as I have nothing but respect for the sacrifice all of the Keydets make during their four years (and beyond for many). But my question is, what do the other service academies do differently that allows them to compete athletically? Or is it they just have the benefit of being more of a national university where VMI is more regional?
Fair question. Take this with a grain of salt because I did not go to VMI - this is all based on conversations that I have had with people that have played/coached there for lacrosse and other sports in the past; apparently their scholarship total for men's lacrosse is somewhere between 1 and 4 total scholarships to split among the entire team (NCAA DI limit is 12.6).

Also, this article doesn't necessarily answer your question, but it does provide an interest look at how the VMI administration views the role of the athletic department as a whole. https://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges ... e1382.html
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Thanks, that's very helpful.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Interesting article. What is not stated is financial assistance is available. Should those who need it be athletes.....

What is certainly different, as stated in the article, is the amount of funds available. Having been on the senior steering board of USNA, The sports budget of USNA/USMA is about the same of VMI’s total budget. And their sports budget is paid by the Army-Navy game.

Here are a few other lacrosse differences:

Most USNA lax players “red shirt” at NAPS or a post grad year at a Foundation paid for school (Philip Exeter, etc).

In season plebes have it easier than than rats.

Lax is rapidly becoming a year around program at the service academies (and most other schools).

Training facilities at the service academies are state of the art. Maybe not Alabama football level but really nice.
BozoStinger

Post by BozoStinger »

The season is quickly approaching. The Jan 26th scrimmage at Marist should be an interesting rust-break with a scrimmage-day at Washington College coming a couple of weeks later. The first game is a week later than the WAC scrimmages with Manhattan visiting VMI in LexVegas on 16 Feb.

The W+L event was a pretty good game (dogsqueeze weather, notwithstanding). The men look stronger and better, for sure. Wins and Losses for the season? Who knows. But they are better than they were last year.

Though they lost their OC to a D3 in the late Fall, the players seem confident and cohesive on and off the field. It appears that they are close to turning a corner, closer than in the past years that I have seen.

These young men, especially the juniors and seniors, have been through a tough time; they are persistent, more resilient and better teammates for it.
The players are outstanding young men that would make any alum or parent proud. Engage a player (or two) in conversation if you get the opportunity; you will be impressed.

Rah Va Mil!
genesrfree

Post by genesrfree »

Bozo-couldn't agree more with your last paragraph. I am concerned that the "coaching staff" has turned over yearly since Birsner has taken over. I realize that can be for good reasons or bad. Marist is an excellent program, should be a good test. As for the schedule, I have already commented...it is the weakest I have seen in many years.

Nonetheless, I hope the team well this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”