Cutting the Cable Cord

General Chatter
ggait

Re: Cutting the Cable Cord

Post by ggait »

Quite certain I have convinced the wife to cut the Cable Cord. Leaning towards youtube TV but wanted to get some feedback from others on possible other services or maybe you have found that each paid subscription ends up putting you back close to the original cable fees you were paying.

What say you?
We found the awful cable bundle to not cost all that much more than the unbundled services (including the high speed internet service). The small premium is more than worth it -- since the Mrs can actually operate the cable system and doesn't need to take a course in unbundled TV watching to watch her shows.

I am an aggressive unsubscriber to the streaming services. Apple TV is gone as soon as we finish Ted Lasso. We'll come back for a month or two when his next season comes out. Pretty simple to turn those on/off versus cutting the main cord.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That’s a big issue with streaming that wasn’t accounted for - churn. Big issue at Disney and HBO now. Zaslov dumped a finished $95mm batgirl just for the tax NOL against the merger at HBO (Comcast Discovery).

We piecemeal it but with 3 young kids we spend probably between $250-$350/mo on cable and Internet. Throw in another $200isg on cell phones. It’s wild .
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

After a few years of streaming, we kind of settled down from the churn.

Netflix and YoutubeTV are our stalwarts. Netflix puts out a ton of new content monthly. Youtube is the standard cable TV and local tv fare.

Seems like HBO, Hulu, AppleTV, Disney are much slower with content. Although HBO and Apple's shows are usually pretty good. If you can insulate yourself from spoilers, let those build up and alternate. We usually save those streams and let them build up for the slower winter months when we are stuck in the house.

Oddly, the one thing I found I cant live without is Spotify. Good for music buffs. Access to almost everything you can think of for $11/mos. Music, podcasts, everything. Throw it on a bluetooth speaker outside or in your car.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:04 am After a few years of streaming, we kind of settled down from the churn.

Netflix and YoutubeTV are our stalwarts. Netflix puts out a ton of new content monthly. Youtube is the standard cable TV and local tv fare.

Seems like HBO, Hulu, AppleTV, Disney are much slower with content. Although HBO and Apple's shows are usually pretty good. If you can insulate yourself from spoilers, let those build up and alternate. We usually save those streams and let them build up for the slower winter months when we are stuck in the house.

Oddly, the one thing I found I cant live without is Spotify. Good for music buffs. Access to almost everything you can think of for $11/mos. Music, podcasts, everything. Throw it on a bluetooth speaker outside or in your car.
Same as what I am considering...curious, if you don't mind asking, what are you paying for those 4 services...youtube, netflix, spotify, and I assume a cable/FiOS fee?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Anyone try Pluto TV?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Pluto is free on Roku.
It gets a lot of play in our house.
It's my teenager's go-to if nothing's on. Fear factor, old MTV reality shows and Cops. Rinse, repeat.
:lol:
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:12 pm Pluto is free on Roku.
It gets a lot of play in our house.
It's my teenager's go-to if nothing's on. Fear factor, old MTV reality shows and Cops. Rinse, repeat.
:lol:
so all the stuff that we watched because there was nothing better to do? :lol:

57 channels and there's nothing on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”