dislaxxic

Re: Today's Holiday

Post by dislaxxic »

November 27th:

NATIONAL DAY OF GIVING
NATIONAL CRAFT JERKY DAY
NATIONAL BAVARIAN CREAM PIE DAY

Craft Jerky??

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Happy Chanukkah!

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
richard

Post by richard »

Happy Repeal Day
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

December 7th:

NATIONAL PEARL HARBOR REMEMBRANCE DAY
NATIONAL COTTON CANDY DAY
NATIONAL ILLINOIS DAY
FAUX FUR FRIDAY

Kinda archaic reference in this bad joke, but...

What do you get when you cross black and japanese?

I don't know, but every December 7th, he attacks Pearl Bailey.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NATIONAL PEARL HARBOR REMEMBRANCE DAY

The first thought that came to mind was my all time favorite librarian, a certain polymath named Miss Lee, from Brooklyn. Miss Lee was about 5'1", frail, wore large glasses, had a pleasant manner, and was very well spoken. She and I had a conversation about the book Sex and Society In Nazi Germany* where she discussed her own experience as a refugee from Japanese fascism during WW II. Much to my surprise, she appeared to be very forgiving of the fascists despite the devastation they imposed on her homeland Indonesia and the fact that they put a price tag on her head. She certainly was a special human being. I guess that's why the good people of that era are known as the Greatest Generation.

* https://www.amazon.com/Society-Nazi-Ger ... 0760601003
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Merry Christmas one & all!

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Merry Christmas to each of you and your family.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Merry, Merry.

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

And a very merry to you and yours Dis.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Merry Christmas to all.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

+1. Merry Christmas, boys.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Uh, today deserves its own thread.

Not exactly a run of the mill artificially Hallmark-created holiday similar to Talk Like A Pirate Day.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

“Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.”
- Luke 2:11

Merry Christmas!
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Hope you all have a wonderful day with your family and friends!

The message from the sermon at our Christmas Mass.

There was a group of monks that were having many conflicts and arguments in the abbey. The abbot went to the country to speak with the holy man in search of a solution to this terrible problem. The holy man told the abbot to go back and tell all of the monks that he has learned that The Messiah is among them. The abbot came back with the message. From that day forward, not knowing which monk the Messiah may be, all of the monks treated each other with dignity, love, and respect.

Treat everyone, regardless of their faults, like he or she is the Messiah. The world just may become a better place!

Merry Christmas to all!

Cheers!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

DD-Tech wrote:Hope you all have a wonderful day with your family and friends!

There was a group of monks that were having many conflicts and arguments in the abbey. The abbot went to the country to speak with the holy man in search of a solution to this terrible problem. The holy man told the abbot to go back and tell all of the monks that he has learned that The Messiah is among them. The abbot came back with the message. From that day forward, not knowing which monk the Messiah may be, all of the monks treated each other with dignity, love, and respect.

Treat everyone, regardless of their faults, like he or she is the Messiah. The world just may become a better place!

Merry Christmas to all!

Cheers!
Merry Christmas to all, except one person, who is definitely not a monk, not the Messiah, and most definitely worse than pond scum. I will remember 2018 for finding the lowest of all lifeforms in our midst.

And no, I’m not referring to myself.

No one knows what each of us is going through, and that’s especially true for 2018 when no one was close to walking in my shoes, nor I in the shoes of others.

Here’s hoping for more civility in 2019, and that my voodoo works.

W
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.wnyc.org/story/103271-yes-virginia/

Interview with Virginia Douglas (née O'Hanlon) many years after the fact ...

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Merry Christmas to all!

Cheers!
I use this tactic quite often.....it rarely works. "How do you know that I am NOT him" After all, I am a carpenter. Haven't built spiral staircases yet. ;)

When is atheist day?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote:

Merry Christmas to all!

Cheers!
I use this tactic quite often.....it rarely works. "How do you know that I am NOT him" After all, I am a carpenter. Haven't built spiral staircases yet. ;)

When is atheist day?
Every Day!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

BOXING DAY---DECEMBER 26 boxing1.That's the day we throw down with Uncle Wilbur who got drunk at Christmas dinner and insulted Grandma.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

When is Festivus?

I’m ready for some Airing of Grievances and Feats if Strength.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”