Science & Engineering

General Chatter
jhu72

Science & Engineering

Post by jhu72 »

We have never had a place dedicated to these topics. We have shared space with other threads which has caused two problems, some folks complaining these subjects were outside the scope of the named thread, and the other these science and engineering posts being mixed with non-sense (climate denial posts) purporting to have some basis in science or engineering.

The first post -- final Cassini Data, first results.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Science & Engineering

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote:We have never had a place dedicated to these topics. We have shared space with other threads which has caused two problems, some folks complaining these subjects were outside the scope of the named thread, and the other these science and engineering posts being mixed with non-sense (climate denial posts) purporting to have some basis in science or engineering.

The first post -- final Cassini Data, first results.
Thanks for posting that. This was a good idea.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Agreed. If you have Instagram, this is a neat place to follow. PhysicsFun
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Ted Talk

My wife calls me a want to be scientists...been around her and her friends for too long!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thanks for that. This edarnwd TED talks suck me in all the darned time.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad

Typical Lax Dad

This is streaming on Netflix. I enjoyed it.

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I will be surprised if at the end of the 100 year period we aren't wandering farther a field than just the solar system. I am more skeptical of the claim of backwards time travel. At the moment it looks like that is only a possibility inside a black hole, but hey, that's Hawking's bailiwick, not mine. First we have to get past the current era of parts of the world's population trying to roll the clock back to 1950.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote:
I will be surprised if at the end of the 100 year period we aren't wandering farther a field than just the solar system. I am more skeptical of the claim of backwards time travel. At the moment it looks like that is only a possibility inside a black hole, but hey, that's Hawking's bailiwick, not mine. First we have to get past the current era of parts of the world's population trying to roll the clock back to 1950.

Did you see Interstellar? I liked Sunshine better but I liked both movies.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Quantum computing, much like fusion, is perpetually 5-10 years away, especially when taking these kinds of reports into account.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Measles outbreak raging in Europe could be brought to U.S., doctors warn

I wasn't sure to reply to fatty in the Climate Change thread, or start a vaxx thread or what, but this is the kind of BS we get when people feel their anecdotes have equal weight to decades or even centuries of empirical evidence.

If you want to challenge current theories, do the research and provide replicable info.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

holmes435 wrote:If you want to challenge current theories, do the research and provide replicable info.
Boy Howdy

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote:Measles outbreak raging in Europe could be brought to U.S., doctors warn

I wasn't sure to reply to fatty in the Climate Change thread, or start a vaxx thread or what, but this is the kind of BS we get when people feel their anecdotes have equal weight to decades or even centuries of empirical evidence.

If you want to challenge current theories, do the research and provide replicable info.
Not clear at all what you are stating . What theory needs challenging?

But, I'll try a kayak take away check and discuss the article and premise that the spike in Autism, based on tinfoil hat (according to you, I am guessing ) theories that vaccines cause that spike. Hence the drop in today's young being vaccinated.

What research and replicable info is there on the increase in autism? What IS the true cause?

Didn't realize the HPV or MMR vaccine was around when Gen. Cornwallis was losing to a bunch of idiot farmers. Centuries of empirical evidence? So a CDC researcher, now whistle blower, is considered what. We believe the science when a CDC employee. Or Merck. Or Eli Lilly. But then we don't ? huh.

ALso, the article didn't mention word one about the influx of immigrants, illegal or not. Does Mexico & Syria or Somalia have mandatory vaccines?

40 deaths. Who cares. Al Gore wants 40 million deaths to curb climate warming. He does. He said so in his films
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:
holmes435 wrote:Measles outbreak raging in Europe could be brought to U.S., doctors warn

Not clear at all what you are stating . What theory needs challenging?

But, I'll try a kayak take away check and discuss the article and premise that the spike in Autism, based on tinfoil hat (according to you, I am guessing ) theories that vaccines cause that spike. Hence the drop in today's young being vaccinated.

What research and replicable info is there on the increase in autism? What IS the true cause?

Didn't realize the HPV or MMR vaccine was around when Gen. Cornwallis was losing to a bunch of idiot farmers. Centuries of empirical evidence? So a CDC researcher, now whistle blower, is considered what. We believe the science when a CDC employee. Or Merck. Or Eli Lilly. But then we don't ? huh.

ALso, the article didn't mention word one about the influx of immigrants, illegal or not. Does Mexico & Syria or Somalia have mandatory vaccines?

40 deaths. Who cares. Al Gore wants 40 million deaths to curb climate warming. He does. He said so in his films
So the whistle blower that retracted the bad paper or the other whistle blower?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

runrussellrun wrote:Not clear at all what you are stating . What theory needs challenging?

If some ex model wants to posit that vaccines cause autism and challenge the fact that vaccines are pretty darn safe (certainly much safer than contracting measles, which has fatality rates as high as 30%) and that they don't cause autism, she needs to provide reliable, replicable evidence. Such evidence does not exist.

My main point is that there is a severe problem of anti-intellectualism and anti-science being paraded around, mostly by one hue of the political spectrum. The BS people are spewing isn't just surrounding vaccinations (which have been around for centuries), but surrounding a lot of scientific theories.

If new data and information comes out to support a different hypothesis and people can verify it, we believe that is the best fit until we find something better. It doesn't matter if it's a high school student finding that info or the head of the CDC.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”