The DOGS Thread

General Chatter
DMac

Re: The DOGS thread is back.

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:15 am Just adopted a 2 year old Doberman Pinscher from a Doberman Rescue group. It has been twenty plus years since we lost our two male Dobermans; one was Black and Rust and the other was a Red, both dies from DCM.

She is still young and very playful, house trained, no need for a crate (at least not yet) have taught her to heal and shake hands in less than a week, working on following hand signals for sit, down, stay and come. Our world is a bit upside down right now not having pets for so long....but are loving it nonetheless.

Nice, youth, and yes sir, bringing in a dog is an absolute game changer. She's a beauty, solid looking gal. I always found Dobermans to be a little on the intimidating side, really never was around them much til I started hanging out with an Aussie guy (license plate said DOWNUNDA...very cool) who had one. What a sweetie and good dog she was (she's probably dead by now and so is he). Very friendly and playful, I really liked that dog....she was big one. I've run into a couple others here and there who were very friendly too. Last GSD I had I spent a lot of time with and trained him to a pretty darn good level. Was really into it, was a lot of fun and very cool challenge. Dobermans are really smart and trainable too (which I'm sure you know better than I do), if you can get the message to them they'll do whatever you ask. Fun stuff...enjoy and congrats.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:06 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:15 am Just adopted a 2 year old Doberman Pinscher from a Doberman Rescue group. It has been twenty plus years since we lost our two male Dobermans; one was Black and Rust and the other was a Red, both dies from DCM.

She is still young and very playful, house trained, no need for a crate (at least not yet) have taught her to heal and shake hands in less than a week, working on following hand signals for sit, down, stay and come. Our world is a bit upside down right now not having pets for so long....but are loving it nonetheless.

Nice, youth, and yes sir, bringing in a dog is an absolute game changer. She's a beauty, solid looking gal. I always found Dobermans to be a little on the intimidating side, really never was around them much til I started hanging out with an Aussie guy (license plate said DOWNUNDA...very cool) who had one. What a sweetie and good dog she was (she's probably dead by now and so is he). Very friendly and playful, I really liked that dog....she was big one. I've run into a couple others here and there who were very friendly too. Last GSD I had I spent a lot of time with and trained him to a pretty darn good level. Was really into it, was a lot of fun and very cool challenge. Dobermans are really smart and trainable too (which I'm sure you know better than I do), if you can get the message to them they'll do whatever you ask. Fun stuff...enjoy and congrats.
Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a Doberman. Used to be quite popular. Good luck with your critter.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote:
Just adopted a 2 year old Doberman Pinscher from a Doberman Rescue group.

ardilla secreta wrote:
Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a Doberman. Used to be quite popular.

First, kudos for adopting the pooch.

Second, like Secret Squirrel, I don't see so many Dobies no more and wonder why.

For years everybody knew of their reputation for being fierce guard dogs. But at the same time they were very well for being highly intelligent, extremely loyal to their owners, and being very affectionate with children. About 40 years ago, a dog trainer pal of mine in God's Country Brooklyn once told me they were the most trainable dogs he ever worked with. Cannot understand why they are not as popular today as they used to be.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:50 am
youthathletics wrote:

ardilla secreta wrote:

Second, like Secret Squirrel, I don't see so many Dobies no more and wonder why.

For years everybody knew of their reputation for being fierce guard dogs. But at the same time they were very well for being highly intelligent, extremely loyal to their owners, and being very affectionate with children. About 40 years ago, a dog trainer pal of mine in God's Country Brooklyn once told me they were the most trainable dogs he ever worked with. Cannot understand why they are not as popular today as they used to be.
That 'killer dog' reputation is what slowed the breeding down....thankfully, I believe it was intentional, b/c Dobermans, Rotties, and then later, Pit Bulls became so over-bred / inbred, that a stigma took over the breed by storm....this was the early 80's through the 90's. The reputable breeders took a very deliberate approach to screening applicants and making certain the lineage got back in line.

Just for me to adopt, was like an act of congress....a ton of paperwork and because I have previously owned two AKC Champion line Dobermans in the past, it helped move me closer to the front of the line.

I could share many stories about my previous two males. And yes, they are fabulous with children...especially babies. It was a site to see when my wife was walking to 90+ pound Dobermans, with both kids in tow sitting in a little wagon, heading to the local dirt pile to go get muddy. We always tell our boys they are so smart b/c they at the same Pro Plan dogfood sitting side-by-side with the dogs as they are....it got to the point where our dogs would not eat unless the boys where near them. Wife asked the Dr. if it was okay for them to be eating it and said....its probably better than some of the crap they eat from the store.... :lol:

Thanks for kind comments fellas.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote:
I could share many stories about my previous two males. And yes, they are fabulous with children...especially babies. It was a site to see when my wife was walking to 90+ pound Dobermans, with both kids in tow sitting in a little wagon, heading to the local dirt pile to go get muddy. We always tell our boys they are so smart b/c they at the same Pro Plan dogfood sitting side-by-side with the dogs as they are....it got to the point where our dogs would not eat unless the boys where near them.

💯 for this excellent note!

It reminds me of my old pal from Brooklyn who said just how affectionate these pooches were with children. As I recall, he told me that he did not have to spend any time in teaching them how to deal with kids as treating kids well came naturally to them. Now we all know why they are often called man's best friend. :)

I forgot to mention above that Dobies are also excellent dogs to have if you live in City apartments. They do not need as much space as other big dogs do. Just a little daily walk for exercise is all they need to keep them vigorous.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

this is the first thing that happens to you when/if you go to Heaven:

https://youtu.be/OnwkgclZmYc

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.81f9a36ed13 ... ImgRaw&r=0

old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:09 pm
youthathletics wrote:

ardilla secreta wrote:

That 'killer dog' reputation is what slowed the breeding down....thankfully, I believe it was intentional, b/c Dobermans, Rotties, and then later, Pit Bulls became so over-bred / inbred, that a stigma took over the breed by storm....this was the early 80's through the 90's. The reputable breeders took a very deliberate approach to screening applicants and making certain the lineage got back in line.

Just for me to adopt, was like an act of congress....a ton of paperwork and because I have previously owned two AKC Champion line Dobermans in the past, it helped move me closer to the front of the line.

I could share many stories about my previous two males. And yes, they are fabulous with children...especially babies. It was a site to see when my wife was walking to 90+ pound Dobermans, with both kids in tow sitting in a little wagon, heading to the local dirt pile to go get muddy. We always tell our boys they are so smart b/c they at the same Pro Plan dogfood sitting side-by-side with the dogs as they are....it got to the point where our dogs would not eat unless the boys where near them. Wife asked the Dr. if it was okay for them to be eating it and said....its probably better than some of the crap they eat from the store.... :lol:

Congrats. Do you have a dog park nearby ? Good way to socialize with other dogs & open minded dog owners.
Makes that breed much less intimidating when encountering new people & dogs (dog-to-dog body language).
I've seen it work well with Bully breeds, Dodermans & Rotties. They make for good play-pals.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:13 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:09 pm
youthathletics wrote:

ardilla secreta wrote:

Congrats. Do you have a dog park nearby ? Good way to socialize with other dogs & open minded dog owners.
Makes that breed much less intimidating when encountering new people & dogs (dog-to-dog body language).
I've seen it work well with Bully breeds, Dodermans & Rotties. They make for good play-pals.
Yes, have been taking her on the regular, she does wonderfully, and has yet to meet a dog that can keep up with her endurance. No fights at all. Yesterday on the beach, we encountered two huskies (same age and both females) that swam in from an anchored boat to the empty beach. They played for about 45 minutes.

My biggest problem with her, are her two lost years of disciplined training, primarily recall. I can keep her off the leash in the yard, but if another dog is walking by....she is gone wanting to bark and play, but scares the hell out of them. She is still a young girl, work in progress.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

You're a little light on the pictures, youth.
How much does that lady weigh?
She looks like a big gal.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Fit and trim at 60lbs.

~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks, very nice. Fit and trim indeed. Love that top picture (not sayin' I don't like the bottom one too), looks like she's saying come out, come out wherever you are squirrels, I'm up for a game of chase.
I would have guessed more than 60 lbs but that's plenty big enough.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:30 am Fit and trim at 60lbs.

Damn, she's a beauty YA.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:45 pm

Damn, she's a beauty YA.
Beautiful dog. A Dobie’s musculature is always so impressive.

While in MA I had a real estate relationship with a family whose husband was heavily involved in Schutzhund (IGP) obedience training. He trained and personally worked alongside many “police” breeds and has won national and international events but always said Dobie’s were his favorites, as evidenced by him only having Dobies himself.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:47 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:45 pm

Damn, she's a beauty YA.
Beautiful dog. A Dobie’s musculature is always so impressive.

While in MA I had a real estate relationship with a family whose husband was heavily involved in Schutzhund (IGP) obedience training. He trained and personally worked alongside many “police” breeds and has won national and international events but always said Dobie’s were his favorites, as evidenced by him only having Dobies himself.
Thank you, both.

With my first two over 20 years ago, both males, I did some of the Schutzhund training. It certainly helps when you get them as pups. My first two would primarily respond to hand signals, only verbal for recall when off the leash and praise, then hand signals upon return.

She has been trying my patience the past couple days, not that she has been with us for just over a month. Pushing the boundaries a bit. It is rewarding to walk the neighborhood and receive compliments on how far she has come in only a short time.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Everything you need for watching the game.
Dog sitting again.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Great picture.

What I want to know is how you got the dog to sit like that with steak strips in lunging (to use a newly popular word) range.

Any dog I've been around would have said, "stay? FU pal. Didn't you hoomans learn in training class that there is an exception to the 'stay' command when steak strips are close by?"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

dmac is the Labrador whisperer.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:05 am Great picture.

What I want to know is how you got the dog to sit like that with steak strips in lunging (to use a newly popular word) range.

Any dog I've been around would have said, "stay? FU pal. Didn't you hoomans learn in training class that there is an exception to the 'stay' command when steak strips are close by?"
He's pretty good, if you tell him to wait he will. Not to mention he had already had a couple of strips, but I've got to admit I was surprised by how patient he was as that took a couple of minutes to get. Must have been an exciting part of the game that had his attention. He's a good boy.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I want to know if that plate is for dmac or dogmac? Looks like a setup.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Definitely dogmac, saved it for him from a couple of days ago.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”