New programs

D2 Mens Lacrosse
cuseman4133

Re: New programs

Post by cuseman4133 »

I've heard Mercyhurst is thinking about a move to Division I for next year. Don't know much after that, would think NEC or MAAC would be their landing spot.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

StuckinD2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm Anyone have any insight on Point Park University? They recently released they are transitioning from NAIA to DII and will be joining the mountain east conference. They also just posted their Men's Lacrosse HC position. This would be a start up program.. I would assume they'd be a GMAC School? Looks like a serious City campus, not sure how appealing that is to Student Athletes.. BUT it does look they have successful athletics in NAIA. Their basketball and soccer teams look like they've had a ton of success not sure if they offer enough to be a successful Lacrosse School.
As a former D2 guy who went to school in a rural area. I could see PPU being a solid D2. I looked into their majors, and they have engineering (but no health sciences). Smaller school, only about 3300 undergrad. But they're next to Pitt and Carnegie Mellon (high enrollment numbers). Not far from RMU either. Small school experience but in a big city. Think kids will like this.

I'm not the only one to think so. I have a couple buddies throwing in HC app's already.
Yeti_33

Post by Yeti_33 »

I think the only drawback I would see for Point Park right now would be facilities. Looks like their soccer team plays at Highmark stadium which is where the USL team plays. Not sure the Riverhounds would like lacrosse lines and extra usage on their field in the middle of their season, so I'm guessing PPU would need to find somewhere else to play.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Hearing Mercyhurst really is going d1. Announcement tomorrow.
leeatu

Post by leeatu »

Point Park has posted openings for head coaches in men's and women's lacrosse. The article states all new teams to begin next year but it seems a little late to be hiring a coach to start recruiting for the 2024-25 season. The lacrosse teams will primarily play at Highmark Stadium (home of the Pittsburgh minor league soccer team). The Pioneers will join the Mountain East in August provided they are approved for D2 membership in July.

https://ppuglobe.com/2024/04/university ... e-coaches/

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”