New Pro Lacrosse League / Paul Rabil

D1 Mens Lacrosse
xxxxxxx

New Pro Lacrosse League / Paul Rabil

Post by xxxxxxx »

This has been rumored for a long time and has some serious people involved. I don't think the MLL has been much of a success, and their recent salary cap raise is a direct result of this coming. Personally I think the biggest challenge is the summer months. They are competing with all the youth events, vacations, camps, etc. The rotating locations is unique and don't know of anything working like this in sports. Any additional lacrosse is great, I hope it is successful.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... oor-league
laxerdad66

Re: New Pro Lacrosse League / Paul Rabil

Post by laxerdad66 »

Ice Cubes "Big 3" tours and has been a huge success
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting that I have also been seeing the Chesapeake Bayhawks promote signing players, like IDA, Heacock, etc. I wonder if he approached the MLL and attempted to find a way to be a spokesman for them or even considered a front office position with them. The way this is presented almost seems like the door was slammed in his face by the MLL and he said "I'll show them". The part I do get is that discontent from the players on salary, benefits, etc is a real thing and needed addressed. What I also believe, is PR is trying to get waaaay out in front of "global" lacrosse....hence the "Premiere" moniker like soccer...which he is fond of.

This may also have been a way to turn the screws on the MLL to benefit players, while also building a model for the remaining 6 continents.

Good luck to him and team.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
laxfan355

Post by laxfan355 »

Hmm.... Sounds very similar to the LXMPro concept from a few years back.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Disclosure: Cannons season ticket holder since ‘02 or ‘03.

MLL certainly has issues, but it has survived through LXM (whatever that was supposed to accomplish) and the severe ‘01 and horrific ‘07 recessions. The talent level (at least post-NLL season) is undeniable, and the product is good. Ownership? Venues? Well... all leagues have their weak franchises. The plateau then decline in attendance needs to be addressed. I don’t know much about the league office/officers, but hopefully they can reverse the current dip and survive the new challenger, or join with it if it proves to have a superior product.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MLL's biggest problem is the sport of lacrosse itself. Tough to make a Cannons, etc. games if you are at a "destination-vacation" spot like Hempstead, NY, Amish country, PA or even the much closer Devens, Ma club tournaments. Last thing you want to do is drive to Brighton, then back to Duxbury or Wenham, after trasping the historic parades grounds all day for 4 minutes of playing time. (thanks for the check johnny )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Lets see if this concept works, personally I think one of the biggest factors against the Pro league is Summer. Its just too active a time of the year, people are on vacation, at camps, going to the beach. Who would want to see outside in 60% or higher humidity and watch a game?

Who is the main demographic for Pro Lacrosse? That should be the first question asked and then do the what, where, when.
crusader66

Post by crusader66 »

I agree. NLL has stranglehold on fall/winter season with high attendance. Dont know if MLL or Rabil league can survive summer with main spectators playing in their own weekend tournaments. Plus with Rabil league not sure you get a local fan base if moving around country every week
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the MLL had their teams dictated by where the players went to college, much like the Lacrosse Tourneys before the MLL, I'd be substantially more interested. And, for the D3, NJCAA, etc., they could be free agents. Maybe.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Admin, I pretty much agree, but with a different team pairing concept. Need to have teams made up of kids from different leagues. Big East v Ivy intriguing. MAC/NEC v ACC intriguing. Yes, needs tweaking.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”