Adult Beverages

General Chatter
a fan

Re: Adult Beverages

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote:question for afan - are there any merits (or the opposite) to a 100% corn based bourbon?
From the perspective of grain recipes, corn contributes sweetness. Bourbon must be at least 51% corn, as you know.

If it's 100% corn, the distiller is trying to give you a very, very sweet Bourbon.

Rye, when used with the proper yeast, gives baking spice notes to a whiskey...and by it's addition, you're obviously using less corn. So the distiller
is looking to give balance to that sweetness, as well as depth. Adding rye also dries out the finish, as corn is very oily.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote:
youthathletics wrote:Curious, why is Scotch much more pricey as compared to Bourbon. Is it because it takes longer than bourbon to get to the sweet spot for bottling? and because it takes longer, more of the product has evaporated?
I think it is because "they can".

Although there are some ridiculously expensive Bourbons out there (Old RIp Van WInkle and Old Fitzgerald at several thousand a bottle come to mind). afan can add far more to this discussion than I, but my understanding is that high-end bourbons have become very popular in the Asian markets which has pushed the prices up at the top end of the market - same thing that happened to scotch.
Yep. It's more expensive because that's what the market will bear. Most single malts have doubled in price over the last five years as demand has surged.

Remember how long a Scotch distilleries timeline. When the first ferment, distill, and fill a barrel...they have to guess what the marketplace will look like fifteen years
from that day. This is an impossible task. And if you're wrong, and make too much that you can't sell--------you go out of business.

It's why Johnnie Walker is so critical. The vast, vast majority of distilleries in the UK are sending their whiskies to Johnnie Walker. They keep the lights on in bad times....when no one else is buying their whisky---they can call Johnnie walker.

They curtailed gift giving limits to Chinese politicians, and that slowed the high end market. But as more and more Silicon bro's get into whiskies? The high end market is in good shape for, at least, several years.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote:
HooDat wrote:question for afan - are there any merits (or the opposite) to a 100% corn based bourbon?
From the perspective of grain recipes, corn contributes sweetness. Bourbon must be at least 51% corn, as you know.

If it's 100% corn, the distiller is trying to give you a very, very sweet Bourbon.

Rye, when used with the proper yeast, gives baking spice notes to a whiskey...and by it's addition, you're obviously using less corn. So the distiller
is looking to give balance to that sweetness, as well as depth. Adding rye also dries out the finish, as corn is very oily.
awesome - I knew there would be some science behind it.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I never understood the science and chemistry involved in making spirits. The discussion is enlightening. I heard words like congeners, genever, aquavit, cherry zing and Benedictine (I thought that was religious order) for many years.

Before I TOOK THE PLEDGE, I rather enjoyed quaffing a wee dram...on occasion. ;) While I no longer imbibe, I have learned some fascinating details about that, which I'm now missing.

SLAINTE!
richard

Post by richard »

The Christmas toddy is in the crock on the front porch doing its magic. Apples cloves, sugar, bourbon, brandy and rum. Something to keep you warm on cold winter evenings.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

richard wrote:The Christmas toddy is in the crock on the front porch doing its magic. Apples cloves, sugar, bourbon, brandy and rum. Something to keep you warm on cold winter evenings.
Do you have recipe to share with amounts?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
richard

Post by richard »

15 winesap apples cored and peeled
Whole cloves
Brown sugar
1 gallon bourbon
1 qt brandy
1 qt rum
Do not use expensive booze and do not use Kentucky Gentleman
Put cloves into apples, stuff cores with the sugar.
Bake apples at 350 for about 25 minutes
Put apples into a crock and cover with the liquor.
Put crock onto the porch cover top and let it age.
Try some after Thanksgiving just to check.
It should be good about a week before Xmas.
All the tastes come through with the clove coming through the strongest.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thank you Sir!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

richard wrote:15 winesap apples cored and peeled
Whole cloves
Brown sugar
1 gallon bourbon
1 qt brandy
1 qt rum

how cold does the front porch need to be / can be? Down south I'm worried those apples might rot!?!

richard

Post by richard »

HooDat wrote:
richard wrote:15 winesap apples cored and peeled
Whole cloves
Brown sugar
1 gallon bourbon
1 qt brandy
1 qt rum
how cold does the front porch need to be / can be? Down south I'm worried those apples might rot!?!
Autumn temperatures, if that season ever arrives, are good. This is a Maryland recipe and I have seen some that call for a full year of aging. Based on that I figure that the alcohol keeps rot from occurring. I also don't know if any hardening of the apple juices happens. If it did I would think that there would be a vinegar taste to the finished product which there isn't. So, what I think happens here is an infusion of tastes from the ingredients.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Any liquid that's north of 20% abv will kill any bacteria....no risk of spoiling the apples, etc.

All you have to do is make sure there's no headspace, and the lid is airtight.....that way the alcohol won't evaporate, risking infection.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote:Any liquid that's north of 20% abv will kill any bacteria....no risk of spoiling the apples, etc.

All you have to do is make sure there's no headspace, and the lid is airtight.....that way the alcohol won't evaporate, risking infection.
thanks!

richard

Post by richard »

Had a taste of the toddy today. It is quite nice. Next year I might lighten up on the cloves. I will decant it next weekend. :P
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I mixed up a quick Hot Toddy with what I could pull together in the cabinet...actually came out nice.

Heated up about 8-10oz of water in a cup.
In my drinking cup I mixed the following,
1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
2-3 tbsp of Lemon Juice
1-2 shots of Bourbon (I had Jim Beam on hand)
Poured in water hot water then added 1-2 tbsp of honey, stir well.

Just finished up some yard work and will be making another and for pre Army-Navy Football game.

Surely not going to be as nice as your Front Porch Toddy brew Richard.
~Livy
richard

Post by richard »

Back at the old site and many years ago I posted a recipe from Kenneth Roberts book Rabble in Arms for hot buttered rum. At the time I had younger kids and on Christmas Eve had to stay up and put together things for underneath the tree. As a reward I would whip up the concoction, knock it back and head North for my long winters nap. Boy did this do its job.

Dark rum, heated apple cider, a touch of real maple syrup, all mixed together topped with a large dollup of butter.

A once a year drink.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

richard wrote:Back at the old site and many years ago I posted a recipe from Kenneth Roberts book Rabble in Arms for hot buttered rum. At the time I had younger kids and on Christmas Eve had to stay up and put together things for underneath the tree. As a reward I would whip up the concoction, knock it back and head North for my long winters nap. Boy did this do its job.

Dark rum, heated apple cider, a touch of real maple syrup, all mixed together topped with a large dollup of butter.

A once a year drink.
Just made one of these! Yes that was perfect on a chilly evening sitting by the fire! Good night! :shock:
richard

Post by richard »

After bottling the Xmas toddy I was left with all the apples. I took out all the cloves and put the apples in a vita mixer and drained the liquid through cheese cloth. That liquid is much different than what was bottled and I don't know what will happen with it. Also I'm going to make an apple sauce cake with the left over chopped apples,it will need lots of sugar added to it but the hope is that the boozy taste will come through.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A buddy of mine handed me an early xmas gift on Friday...Basil Vodka. I sipped it neat, and it was rather tasty all by itself. He says he mixes it with tea and a splash of lemon juice or half and half tea/lemonade.

Any other ideas?
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Richard, I bet it would also be a great addition to stuffing.
~Livy
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

youthathletics wrote:A buddy of mine handed me an early xmas gift on Friday...Basil Vodka. I sipped it neat, and it was rather tasty all by itself. He says he mixes it with tea and a splash of lemon juice or half and half tea/lemonade.

Any other ideas?
youthathletics wrote:Richard, I bet it would also be a great addition to stuffing.
I’d like to try that Basil Vodka in a Bloody Mary garnished with a nice crispy slice of thick bacon and a piece of cold jumbo shrimp cocktail!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”