movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
youthathletics

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by youthathletics »

Saw the previews while at the theatre on 4July. Looking forward to seeing it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Jimmy Cagney. Never saw this before. One of the best actors of all time. Angels with Dirty Faces is an absolute classic. Brook, I'm sure you will agree!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NYqp-UblWE

Joe
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:20 pm Jimmy Cagney. Never saw this before. One of the best actors of all time. Angels with Dirty Faces is an absolute classic. Brook, I'm sure you will agree!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NYqp-UblWE

Joe

^ 💯

Thanx for that excellent link.

Like most families in those days we watched movies together at home. Believe it or not Angels With Dirty Faces was our absolute favorite. That dramatic scene at the end was beyond all description. I also loved the Yankee Doodle Dandy dance scene. Very memorable. But one movie that was overlooked was " One, Two, Three", a Cold War comedy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055256/

Gotta see this gem again some day soon.

A sandwich shop owner who had a business near where I lived was a good friend of Jimmy Cagney. He idolized and practically worshiped him. Had many photos of themselves together. Said he was the nicest guy he ever met in his life. Over my many years of living in NY I came across a number of folks who said that he, indeed, was just a great guy.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Grant — Hepburn

Bringing Up Baby

Mr Bone
Intercostal Clavicle

:lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Ambush - https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJ ... e&ie=UTF-8

When three Emirati soldiers are ambushed in a hostile territory, their commander leads a daring mission to rescue them.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13445076/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:03 pm Saw the previews while at the theatre on 4July. Looking forward to seeing it.
YA - saw Oppenheimer today - buckle up it's a LONG movie....quite esoteric and pretty deep when one breaks it all down. '

The biography which forms the basis to for film - American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin is quite appropriate - as the myth of Prometheus is quite the allegory for J. Robert Oppenheimer
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer

Read that quite a while ago. Not the most exciting reading but it is highly informative.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
molo

Post by molo »

Great line from 1,2,3: “Put your pants on, Spartacus.” Tracy to Bucholtz.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:01 pm Too 50 dystopian movies - https://thehardtimes.net/lists/50-dysto ... -waS_ZzKkk
Gattaca, Metropolis, They Live and Clock Work Orange are great. I need to try Stalker again. I liked Minority Report too. Surprised I Robot didn’t make the least, despite my dislike of Will Smith.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:24 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:01 pm Too 50 dystopian movies - https://thehardtimes.net/lists/50-dysto ... -waS_ZzKkk
Gattaca, Metropolis, They Live and Clock Work Orange are great. I need to try Stalker again. I liked Minority Report too. Surprised I Robot didn’t make the least, despite my dislike of Will Smith.
You mean dislike of Jada Pinkett right?

There’s a few ok the list I haven’t seen but would like to. Sadly given living there and my affinity for The Warriors I’ve never seen Escape from
NY.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:15 am
You mean dislike of Jada Pinkett right?

There’s a few ok the list I haven’t seen but would like to. Sadly given living there and my affinity for The Warriors I’ve never seen Escape from
NY.
Both. Escaping from NY is classic. Saw it in the theater.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I've watched a hand full of those flics but am not sure about those rankings. Just now I watched one that deserves to be in the Top 10 or 20: Orson Welles' The Trial (1963). Filmed in black & white using film noir angles and lighting. Critics did not like it when it was released and it did not generate a profit. A fair viewing of it reveals that it was yet another example of Welles' artistic genius. Anthony Perkins was absolutely brilliant as the victim of injustice in a dystopian society. Support cast was excellent as well. The setting was very striking. And to think that Welles found that setting when he looked out the window of his hotel room! He had the interior redesigned to give it a labyrinthian appearance which further the feel of alienation within that corrupt and tormentous society. Background music was striking as well. The ending with Tomaso Albioni's tragic Adagio in G minor gave the movie a finality which punctuated the theme of this black comedy. All throughout the movie you get a deep sense that it is one prolonged nightmare.

The movie was based on Kafka's novel of the same name. He was truly a genius in that he predicted the Soviet and fascist totalitarian hells that would arise real soon (one that our right wing pals are so determined to bring back). During the movie there were scenes reminiscent of the Holocaust where innocents were lined up to be sent into their deaths as there was no justice to be had for any of them.

I understand this movie was not in circulation for many years. This, I guess, is why I cannot recall ever seeing it before. Newly restored, it is worth your viewing.

IMDb gave it 7.6
Rotten Tomatoes gave it 86 to 87%

The movie is now public domain and can readily be found online.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:54 pm

I've watched a hand full of those flics but am not sure about those rankings. Just now I watched one that deserves to be in the Top 10 or 20: Orson Welles' The Trial (1963). Filmed in black & white using film noir angles and lighting. Critics did not like it when it was released and it did not generate a profit. A fair viewing of it reveals that it was yet another example of Welles' artistic genius. Anthony Perkins was absolutely brilliant as the victim of injustice in a dystopian society. Support cast was excellent as well. The setting was very striking. And to think that Welles found that setting when he looked out the window of his hotel room! He had the interior redesigned to give it a labyrinthian appearance which further the feel of alienation within that corrupt and tormentous society. Background music was striking as well. The ending with Tomaso Albioni's tragic Adagio in G minor gave the movie a finality which punctuated the theme of this black comedy. All throughout the movie you get a deep sense that it is one prolonged nightmare.

The movie was based on Kafka's novel of the same name. He was truly a genius in that he predicted the Soviet and fascist totalitarian hells that would arise real soon (one that our right wing pals are so determined to bring back). During the movie there were scenes reminiscent of the Holocaust where innocents were lined up to be sent into their deaths as there was no justice to be had for any of them.

I understand this movie was not in circulation for many years. This, I guess, is why I cannot recall ever seeing it before. Newly restored, it is worth your viewing.

IMDb gave it 7.6
Rotten Tomatoes gave it 86 to 87%

The movie is now public domain and can readily be found online.
Thanks! Will check it out!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:02 pm
Thanks! Will check it out!

You bet!

Interestingly, Welles said it was his best film ever. There is more that I can say about it but don't want to spoil. Please do enjoy this complex but interesting movie.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Freat film on Prime last evening. "The Covenant" , about a
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s October Yo!

Haunted Mansion on Disney now. (Not that good)

Burton:

Nightmare Before Christmas
corpse Bride
Beetle juice
Coralline
Franke weenie
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Great Escape (1963)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057115/

Allied prisoners of war plan for several hundred of their number to escape from a German camp during World War II.

Very intense movie.

old salt

Post by old salt »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Lady of Burlesque (1943)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x82yhdh

Gypsy Rose Lee's story made into a film. I believe Ben Hecht was the ghost writer for it but am not sure. The burlesque theater was in decline during and after WW II. Some were only too happy to see it go completely.

Barbara Stanwyck was such a beauty. Great dancer, great actress. She stole the show.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”