Tufts Lacrosse Rhabdo Hospitalizations

D3 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Tufts Lacrosse Rhabdo Hospitalizations

Post by The Orfling »

Just read the story that 12 Tufts lacrosse players got rhabdo (with five still in the hospital four days later) after participating in a workout led by, apparently, a university alum who had been a Navy SEAL. Yes, Tufts is a Division III but lacrosse is a small world and Division I also has its share of programs enamored with SEALs/military workouts -- so I think this is relevant even in the Division I forum.

My take as a former Division I athlete (and proud veteran):

1. First, praying all 5 of the guys who are still hospitalized make a full and speedy recovery. Terrifying.

2. I've found the lacrosse world's fetishizing of military special forces screening physical training weird and wannabe and have heard of more than a few high school or college guys injured lifting telephone poles a la BUD/s training. If this scary incident has a silver lining perhaps we can move away from that. (This is separate from honoring people like Brendan Looney or Jimmy Regan, which I wholeheartedly support.)

3. Coaches -- they know their teams and athletes; so important for them to be careful not to totally offload responsibility for intense training to the strength and conditioning staff (or an outside guest). Heat exhaustion can kill and rhabdo can cause permanent organ damage or death. After the University of MD football player died of heat exhaustion, thousands of high school and college programs started using wet bulb measurements to avoid such a situation. Again, if this situation could have a good effect, raising awareness about rhabdo would be finding some good in a tough situation.

4. If there's lasting damage (god forbid worse) Tufts (or their insurance carrier) will be paying out enormous figures in settlement. That too will change behavior.

I end where I start -- hopefully the guys in the hospital can make a full recovery.
Last edited by The Orfling on Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdlaxdad

Re: Tufts Lacrosse Rhabdo Hospitalizations

Post by mdlaxdad »

Completely agree. First off, I want to wish all these gentlemen a safe recovery. Not sure how or why they were put into this situation, but their health should be the most important thing right now, not the fall out for the program. Secondly, what is the point of this exercise? These are division 3 athletes, and while some may join the elite force after college, putting 18-22 year olds through a grueling environment, known for its brutality, is inhumane and disturbing that an adult would think this is ok. I’m sure this alum will receive some backlash, but it was the coach’s decision to invite him and thus his responsibility. Also let’s cut this “voluntary workout” bs, everyone knows that so stop hiding. At the end of the day, this is division 3 not the special forces. Let boys be boys, sure have fall ball and workouts while they enjoy their off-season, but this, I don’t know how to explain it.
nelaxman

Post by nelaxman »

I hope the Tufts players are okay and get released soon. It's shocking that the Tufts coaches are still posting on social media as if nothing's happening. With five kids in the hospital, their focus seems to be on getting clicks—you really can't make this up! As a consequence, they should lock down the social media accounts. If that happens, Casey might even resign.

The Tufts AD could be in serious trouble over this. Someone had to approve the team’s access to the field for those workouts, and that responsibility will likely fall on him. With the national attention this situation is getting and the severity of it, unfortunately, someone—either the coach or the AD—will likely have to take the fall.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

I remember that York College did something similar several years ago without the some results. The question to ask was the intent actual physical improvement or just a team-building exercise. In both cases there are other, safer options to achieve those results.

BTW: I think you are referring to Brendan Looney, a Navy Seal who was killed on a rescue mission in Afghanistan along with many other Seal personnel.
DMac

Post by DMac »

SEAL is anacronym, Seal is a sea mammal.
Little pet peeve of mine.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

I wonder if blood work will reveal something else in their systems....
laxr

Post by laxr »

The fact that so many players developed rhabdo and that 5 are still in hospital (and at their age and relative health and fitness) is scary. The alum / staff should definitely be held accountable. If this was my kid I'm chasing those accountable. The literature on rhabdo is limited (football players and crossfitters being alot of it) and the recovery protocol we do have for return to sport is very lengthy (or at least should be). Its true that if the players were dehydrated before, lacking sleep, etc (and or recovering from any other substances) their vulnerability to rhabdo likely much greater. But I feel for these kids as they likely felt they had no choice but to just keep going. The athletes I've worked with recovering from rhabdo was difficult. Any pre existing injuries in the same area were also a factor in recovery (and for 2 of them - still are). We don't have much long term data. I chime in only as a physical therapist and lacrosse mom with just enough knowledge to know how bad on many levels this actually is.
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

laxr wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:31 am The fact that so many players developed rhabdo and that 5 are still in hospital (and at their age and relative health and fitness) is scary. The alum / staff should definitely be held accountable. If this was my kid I'm chasing those accountable. The literature on rhabdo is limited (football players and crossfitters being alot of it) and the recovery protocol we do have for return to sport is very lengthy (or at least should be). Its true that if the players were dehydrated before, lacking sleep, etc (and or recovering from any other substances) their vulnerability to rhabdo likely much greater. But I feel for these kids as they likely felt they had no choice but to just keep going. The athletes I've worked with recovering from rhabdo was difficult. Any pre existing injuries in the same area were also a factor in recovery (and for 2 of them - still are). We don't have much long term data. I chime in only as a physical therapist and lacrosse mom with just enough knowledge to know how bad on many levels this actually is.

Well done here!
Whole scenario is beyond comprehension.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Read about it and had to wonder why college athletes are performing SEAL training.

That should just be for The United States Navy Sea, Air, and Land (SEAL) Teams who are conditioned for it; and even there are isolated bad occurrences during training.
The parent, not the coach.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

SEALs accept very few of their applications all of whom are in top physical m shape for training. The Attrition rate even among those candidates is very high.

I ssked my brother in law what he looks for in a candidate who will be successful. His reply was he wants the guy that gets there first and leaves last and does that day after day after day. That cannot be taught. College lax players are very rarely ever prepared mentally or physically for even one day.

https://www.sandboxx.us/news/special-op ... tion-data/
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

What exactly makes a 45 minute workout "Navy SEAL training"? Burpees, jogging, calisthenics, lifting a log over your head?
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's a question I'd like the answer to too. 45 minutes.
What really separates those who successfully make it
through SEAL training is the head game, you're tested
to the limit that 99.9% of the population is just not going
to be able to handle (I'm a SEAL washout who bit off more than he
could chew) mind over matter pretty much regardless of circumstances
and conditions. They're the creme de la creme, the elite of the elite.
Been around a lot of them from Coronado, to Little Creek, to the Cua
Viet River. I have to wonder if this guy took these players to a limit that
only he and his ilk can handle, but it was only 45 minutes. Very interested
in the details here.
AOD

Post by AOD »

OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:18 pm SEALs accept very few of their applications all of whom are in top physical m shape for training. The Attrition rate even among those candidates is very high.

I ssked my brother in law what he looks for in a candidate who will be successful. His reply was he wants the guy that gets there first and leaves last and does that day after day after day. That cannot be taught. College lax players are very rarely ever prepared mentally or physically for even one day.

Probably want to check with Mike Burns (UNC 2011) about that.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Seahawk wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:06 am I remember that York College did something similar several years ago without the some results. The question to ask was the intent actual physical improvement or just a team-building exercise. In both cases there are other, safer options to achieve those results.

BTW: I think you are referring to Brendan Looney, a Navy Seal who was killed on a rescue mission in Afghanistan along with many other Seal personnel.
Corrected now — thanks. (Mistakenly used his brother’s name.)
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:30 pm What exactly makes a 45 minute workout "Navy SEAL training"? Burpees, jogging, calisthenics, lifting a log over your head?
Were I conducting the internal investigation, the first thing I’d lock down is the timeline. I’m slightly skeptical of the announced 45 minute duration ; although one must assume the college did some due diligence before issuing their statement so perhaps it was 45 minutes of squats and burpees and mountain climbers and log raises and kettle bells on a hot day with an already dehydrated group if they had already run not to mention all the parties of Tufts Homecoming weekend.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:30 pm What exactly makes a 45 minute workout "Navy SEAL training"? Burpees, jogging, calisthenics, lifting a log over your head?
For instance Mike Murphy popularized his Body Armor workout of a 1 mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200pushups and 300 air squats and then another 1 mile run. This was a workout done by SEALS in country and is done every Memorial by people to Honor Murphy sacrifice.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Moved to D3 Forum
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

AOD wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:20 pm
OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:18 pm SEALs accept very few of their applications all of whom are in top physical m shape for training. The Attrition rate even among those candidates is very high.

Anout what? I talked w my BIL who among other things trained several thousand. Or are tou questioning the link
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OCanada wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:39 am
AOD wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:20 pm

Anout what? I talked w my BIL who among other things trained several thousand. Or are tou questioning the link
I do hear the same things.....they are not overly concerned about run times, etc. It's more about effort, "being under the boat" for the team, and as you noted earlier.....being all in.

Might also want to listen to Capt. Brad Geary's 'legal' story. It's on the SRS Podcast, youtube.....it is rather revealing and goes even further in to PED's.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

+1

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”