York 2025

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

York 2025

Post by DeepPocket »

The incoming class, from what I can see is 10 (with 9 different states represented);
3- A
3- M
2- Poles
1- G
1- FO

Transfer in- HMAA D rising junior from Cabrini.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Re: York 2025

Post by Laxattackjack »

just checked instagram and i am seeing a few more. unless some changed. the following either tagged YCP lax as committed or show up on IL committed.

1 Golie
1 FO
10 short stick/ offensive
3 long poles

at least one portal from Cabrini Defense already mentioned

Rumors of a few more through portal.

so potentially adding 17-20

lost 12 to graduation (haven’t heard any of those names mentioned about returning). and heard of 2 in portal.

this could put the roster at plus 5 unless others have left
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Hearing 16 frosh and a least 2 transfers as of now
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Asgot wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:46 am Hearing 16 frosh and a least 2 transfers as of now
I know this will get hate from the York followers. But it seems that what made Childs such a special coach and York such a special program has been "lost". Ill be the first to admit I am an outsider, but York used to be the "culture" program and I saw Childs as the "Dabo Swinney" of d3 lacrosse. Home grown, a nice sized roster(not to big maybe 40-45 guys). And they developled their players within their program almost better then anyone. Is it just me or has that changed? Yorks roster has bloated. Im sure many will point to covid but I am sure Childs was aware of the guys who were considering coming back and could have kept the roster size down to 45-48. Maybe im wrong but Childs basicially started taking transfers (not just JUCO guys), and it feels York is "constantly trying to upgrade from the guys on their team." What does that do for your "culture"? 16 Freshman? How are those players going to get better when there are 55+ guys on the roster? I understand some of this may be out of his control and maybe this is admissions driven, im seeing the same thing at my alma mater(and I hate it. 53 guys last year and alumni are clamoring for more "transfer portal"). Does anyone do it the "right way" anymore? I guess im just an old fart who played back when each team had 18-35 guys but maybe what made those teams special was it was actually the
"tight knit" groups we had back then and not just what coaches talk about now. Guys got better becuase we actually had to practice and you might play a bit as freshman but as you aged you played more and didnt have to worry about "4 transfers and 16 freshman" that the coach all told would be "starting day 1". My two cents, and I know from my son who coaches in college lacrosse that it goes bother ways, players are less loyal than ever to programs so maybe coaches just adapting to the realities of todays college player but its a shame one of the few coaches I felt did it different has seemed to change

Ill go yell at some clouds now.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:24 pm … A program that prides itself on culture should not have this happening…
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:49 am Im sure we will have a full breakdown by mid morning from 10 different perspectives analyzing the new way Childs has them stretching.....
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:13 am … if this isn’t proof of the “Cult of York” I don’t know what is
And now
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:30 am I know this will get hate from the York followers. But…
You’ve been beating this drum for quite a while. The followers are passionate, and always want to chat York up, so here’s the reply you are looking for;

The same culture is there. It’s easy to view a strategy as fantastic when it’s successful, and then assume that they must have changed strategies when there is any failure.

50-55 men seems pretty standard for competitive DIII lacrosse rosters at this point. And teams with such rosters all seem to have managed to successfully develop their underclassmen.

Is there an example of a transfer to York that has been an immediate upgrade, like you elude to? I’ve never sat in on a recruiting call, but I can say with confidence that no one is being told they’re “starting day 1” as you say. (Not at York, and likely not anywhere)

They have always taken transfers. Dan Kaplan of inside lacrosse transferred in from Lynchburg in 2015, heck, the York team I was on a lifetime ago had 5 transfers on it (none of them JUCO). Additionally, GREAT players have left from time to time over the years. I recall Austin Glab (AA) leaving after his Sophmore year in 17’, and Jake Hvazda (2nd on the team in scoring as a freshman) leaving after his Sophmore year in 19’, to name a few. Those dynamics aren’t new on the scene, and it is a mistake to take their existence as indicators of any new culture change or shift.

The only real changes have been the new publicity given to such moves via the portal, and a down year for York in the W/L column. Together they present an opportunity welcoming some to criticize a program that for years has gotten a lot of positive attention in lacrosse media and on this forum. The road to the top isn’t a straight line. They had a tough year, but it’s the same old York, and they’ll be back.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:24 am
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:24 pm … A program that prides itself on culture should not have this happening…
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:49 am Im sure we will have a full breakdown by mid morning from 10 different perspectives analyzing the new way Childs has them stretching.....
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:13 am … if this isn’t proof of the “Cult of York” I don’t know what is
You’ve been beating this drum for quite a while. The followers are passionate, and always want to chat York up, so here’s the reply you are looking for;

The same culture is there. It’s easy to view a strategy as fantastic when it’s successful, and then assume that they must have changed strategies when there is any failure.

50-55 men seems pretty standard for competitive DIII lacrosse rosters at this point. And teams with such rosters all seem to have managed to successfully develop their underclassmen.

Is there an example of a transfer to York that has been an immediate upgrade, like you elude to? I’ve never sat in on a recruiting call, but I can say with confidence that no one is being told they’re “starting day 1” as you say. (Not at York, and likely not anywhere)

They have always taken transfers. Dan Kaplan of inside lacrosse transferred in from Lynchburg in 2015, heck, the York team I was on a lifetime ago had 5 transfers on it (none of them JUCO). Additionally, GREAT players have left from time to time over the years. I recall Austin Glab (AA) leaving after his Sophmore year in 17’, and Jake Hvazda (2nd on the team in scoring as a freshman) leaving after his Sophmore year in 19’, to name a few. Those dynamics aren’t new on the scene, and it is a mistake to take their existence as indicators of any new culture change or shift.

The only real changes have been the new publicity given to such moves via the portal, and a down year for York in the W/L column. Together they present an opportunity welcoming some to criticize a program that for years has gotten a lot of positive attention in lacrosse media and on this forum. The road to the top isn’t a straight line. They had a tough year, but it’s the same old York, and they’ll be back.
Juneteenth has allowed me the time to spend some time on lacrosse forums debating d3 lacrosse

1. Going back into my users posts proves my point correct. You guys are definitely an "passionate" bunch and will defend Childs and York to the death. I chat up York becuase much like my favoirte team you guys are interested in actually having a conversation.
2. I stated(while also mentioning my own school) that the 50- 55+ number is I believe to many. I prefer and believe Childs had it right when he was in the 40-45 number. I loved and admired the process of development of the players within it.
3. I cant remember his name but did York not take a Salisbury player from a few years ago? That was deemed as an upgrade then from what they had returning at midfield? It might have been right before the portal era but I remember at the time it being talked about on here. It seems he played atleast at the beginning of that season,and are you honestly telling me that York or any program in that manner is not atleast hinting at playing time? I mean a kid transfers for many reasons but I would say playing time is probably high on the list of reasons why. Maybe im just reading the forum posts saying, "York is in on multiple high level players", and assume the plugged in York posters are getting it from someone on the "inside" (player or coach) which leads me to believe that they are looking to upgrade.
4.Didnt Kaplan spend 2015 in JUCO? After a year at Lynchburg? That might have been around your time since your bring him up. According to his York bio he did. To your point im sure they had transfers but now at least from my perspective York has brought in 2 large freshman classes along with some transfers does this continue? Does it continue at CNU? Salisbury? Stevens Tech? Stevenson?

I just thought York would be different than the others and still be able to have success
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:46 pm
All good man.

You’re thinking of Gavin Dembeck. From Jacksonville-> Salisbury-> York. Loyola Blakefield kid. Great talent. I think he wanted to be an attackman, could be wrong. Either way, he didn’t get any more time, opportunity, or most importantly, yield any better results at York than players who “came up through the system.” They also had a highly billed kid transfer in from Tampa that same year as Dembeck, his name escapes me but his dad was an NFL player. Same results. Didn’t “take anyone’s spot.”

I did not know Kaplan did a year at JUCO, but I know he was on York in 2015. They’ve had transfers come from many Non-JUCOs pre-COVID, but you’d have to dig and search names, because there was no portal to plug it in on. Just pointing out that this isn’t a new phenomenon that is signaling some seismic cultural shift, it’s business as usual and it’s been going on since before Coach Childs.
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:46 pm … Maybe im just reading the forum posts saying, "York is in on multiple high level players", and assume the plugged in York posters are getting it from someone on the "inside" (player or coach) which leads me to believe that they are looking to upgrade…
You’re correct here. It’s just the natural response to each year, York losing ____(insert some stat stuffer) and people here say “oh boy who could replace HIM?” It’s easier for a internet poster with no inner knowledge (myself included) to say “the stud from Salisbury/Jacksonville/Tampa/Lynchburg will,” because there is a pedigree of college stats to back it up in theory. When in actuality, for York it has almost always been the case that the kid busting his butt at practice and seeing a few minutes of time a game here and there is actually the better fit, and winds up EARNING that spot.

Dembeck left, the NFL guy’s kid left, people leave. Before 55 man rosters, before 6th years, before COVID, people leave. If they lose a few players each class to attrition, as they and many schools have, I see no reason why they shouldn’t bring in as many of the best players as they can, from high school in addition to transfers in order to get that roster size to where the coach wants it (whatever that number may be).

Imagine being a coach in today’s world, where your players are actively shopping themselves out on the portal, and having the mindset that you refuse to utilize it yourself. I can’t see that being a very successful stance to take In 2024. The portal and COVID changed the landscape, and like you said, it’s a 2 way street. Kids are less “committed” to the process, they need instant gratification etc etc.

Either way, I enjoyed the off-season banter, so thanks. I’m pretty sure I just wrote more words than I did all last year. .. wishing your Shoremen well for 2025.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

interesting topic to single out York. many teams have players coming and going by transfer. york isn’t different.
i would hope that York is actively working the portal this season, they lost 3/4 of the rising junior class and just lost 3/4 of the starters to graduation. with only a hand full of upperclassman left, the coach should be looking to add a few more.
the 2024 roster size is listed at 46. i would say that’s low compared to the rest of the top 20
the comment about no longer using home grown talent vs transfers. of all the starters last season. only one was a transfer. that means 7 of 8 offense, 8 of 8 defense. fogo and goalie makes 17 of 18 were recruited.
as for the culture, even the york faithful have to admit something was wrong the past year. york lost (at least) 25 players in the past 12 months to transfer or just quitting the team. only those players know why, but that is a large amount no matter how you look at it.
slow2slide

Post by slow2slide »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:00 pm even the york faithful have to admit something was wrong the past year. york lost (at least) 25 players in the past 12 months to transfer or just quitting the team. only those players know why, but that is a large amount no matter how you look at it.
The york faithful has some insider info. If you’re not doing anything later, why don’t you join us at 9 o’clock on the 9th green.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

slow2slide wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:18 am If you’re not doing anything later, why don’t you join us at 9 o’clock on the 9th green.
Any dress code?
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

I don't know your personnel at all, beyond the big names. Transfers looking for an easier situation or running from something, they never seem to stick IMO. It's like a job in the real world. The ones that run to the position, embrace it, are energized by it, those usually work out. I think Childs has the EQ to differentiate those.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

2025 schedule talk….

predictions on who they might play, who you want to see them play?

i hope york takes a step back on the aggression of the schedule this year. york doesn’t need to face 7 of the top 10 teams. but i hope they still get some of the good games
with a 17 game schedule and 7 games in conference, there should be 10 out of conference
Hoping that Salisbury, W&L, Gettysburg, and Dickinson stay. that would give York 3 teams that should be preseason top 10
hoping they get an invite to the Mustang Classic. maybe vs a Lynchburg level team. but they don’t need two more top 10 games.
i am sure Grove city will still be on the schedule. childs must want a rematch.
that leaves room for two - three more teams. hopefully teams that should be regionally ranked. Maybe Denison again, would be nice to see some interaction between freedom and commonwealth. York vs Stevens would be nice.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I do not expect York to back away from there current schedule but their home and homes with Grove City and Denison are up so you could see a change there. Expect them to go to RPI and RIT and well as Mustang Classic. I am hearing of a fall 4 way scrimmage at York with St Mary’s, Catholic and one other team. I think that. Hilda has quietly added some pieces that will compensate for their losses and they will have to have some kids step up.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

2025 recruiting class is shaping up nicely.

2024 group looks strong too. Incoming DIII grad transfers, heard a 150 pt attackman and an AAHM SSDM. Haven’t seen and IG or X bio updates, so I guess we’ll see.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

150 pt attack? the D3 leading scorer only had 136pts
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:00 pm 150 pt attack? the D3 leading scorer only had 136pts
Career, which is essentially comprised of his 2 years starting.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:01 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:00 pm 150 pt attack? the D3 leading scorer only had 136pts
Career, which is essentially comprised of his 2 years starting.
that makes sense.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:56 am 2025 recruiting class is shaping up nicely.

2024 group looks strong too. Incoming DIII grad transfers, heard a 150 pt attackman and an AAHM SSDM. Haven’t seen and IG or X bio updates, so I guess we’ll see.
Plus three poles, where is the ssdm from
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Asgot wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:28 pm
Plus three poles, where is the ssdm from
PM sent
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Gotta think that SSDM is Hewitt. If so, Childs picked up two really good pieces up from the rubble. Kid is aggressive, really good in transition, and held his own in every match-up I saw last season.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”