D3 Mens Lacrosse
choochooCharlie

Tufts 2025

Post by choochooCharlie »

Does coach try a different strategy?
laxrules

Re: Tufts 2025

Post by laxrules »

The strategy of losing games in regular season to wake his group up seems to have worked great. Don’t go undefeated! That hardly works. Teams that lose a couple games that they “shouldn’t” seems to be the formula. At least now people will understand why tufts loses to teams in regular season….it will all be part of the master plan.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

I don't think it is strategy but losing to an inferior team is humbling and sometime is a wake-up call. We saw that a number of times during the Daly era where they would lose mid-way through the season and it would reset the team. The best thing that happened to them this year was the loss to Hamilton, without that, we probably would have seen a different NC. The worst thing two years ago was not losing to Conn in that barnburner game. Losing is not bad if you improve from it which is what Tufts did this year.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

In a word, no. If the strategy yields the same results as 2024, HELL NO!! Losing games during the regular season or even during the conference playoffs isn't really that big of a deal. Just play as tough a schedule as possible, which Tufts did, and be prepared for the NCAA tourney. This example goes back a ways, over 10 years, but, Coach Danowski and Dook started 2013 2-4 and lost to UNC in their first ACC playoff game on their way to a NC. Obviously no Coach wants/tries to lose, that would be absurd. However, an early season loss, or even one near the end of the year, isn't the end of the world. Just need to be firing on all cylinders come May!! Roll Bos!!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I watched some of the Nike All America game last night, and since it's only 46 players selected from across the country I was stunned/psyched to see a DIII guy playing in Tufts commit Davis Owens out of Landon. One of four Lsm (the other three heading to Cornell, Notre Dame, Penn State) he played well in the part I caught. Offensively minded (see article below) he seems perfect for Tufts' style of play, and he's already excelled in one of the top high school leagues in the country. I know a lot returns defensively, but it's hard to imagine he doesn't get early opportunities next year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -md-/63027
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:21 am I watched some of the Nike All America game last night, and since it's only 46 players selected from across the country I was stunned/psyched to see a DIII guy playing in Tufts commit Davis Owens out of Landon. One of four Lsm (the other three heading to Cornell, Notre Dame, Penn State) he played well in the part I caught. Offensively minded (see article below) he seems perfect for Tufts' style of play, and he's already excelled in one of the top high school leagues in the country. I know a lot returns defensively, but it's hard to imagine he doesn't get early opportunities next year.

Making First Team All IAC is a big deal as well, albeit not as big as the Nike Senior AA Game. If you look at the All IAC list, it is littered with big time D1 commits. Nice pick up Casey! Roll Bos!
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

callaxdad wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:55 am [quote=Laxxal22 post_id=564872 time=<a href="tel:1719055266">1719055266</a> user_id=422]
I watched some of the Nike All America game last night, and since it's only 46 players selected from across the country I was stunned/psyched to see a DIII guy playing in Tufts commit Davis Owens out of Landon. One of four Lsm (the other three heading to Cornell, Notre Dame, Penn State) he played well in the part I caught. Offensively minded (see article below) he seems perfect for Tufts' style of play, and he's already excelled in one of the top high school leagues in the country. I know a lot returns defensively, but it's hard to imagine he doesn't get early opportunities next year.
Making First Team All IAC is a big deal as well, albeit not as big as the Nike Senior AA Game. If you look at the All IAC list, it is littered with big time D1 commits. Nice pick up Casey! Roll Bos!
[/quote]
People around here love to hate on D’Annolfo, but the reality is he’s a damn good recruiter. Don’t see that changing anytime soon.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:21 am I watched some of the Nike All America game last night, and since it's only 46 players selected from across the country I was stunned/psyched to see a DIII guy playing in Tufts commit Davis Owens out of Landon. One of four Lsm (the other three heading to Cornell, Notre Dame, Penn State) he played well in the part I caught. Offensively minded (see article below) he seems perfect for Tufts' style of play, and he's already excelled in one of the top high school leagues in the country. I know a lot returns defensively, but it's hard to imagine he doesn't get early opportunities next year.

I’m very surprised he wasn’t poached since his commitment to Tufts. I had the pleasure of coaching him and he could play at basically any place in the country and has the brains to get into some of the Ivy League schools.

Impressive pull for Tufts and will be a day 1 starter.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Laxguy703 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:03 pm

I’m very surprised he wasn’t poached since his commitment to Tufts. I had the pleasure of coaching him and he could play at basically any place in the country and has the brains to get into some of the Ivy League schools.

That's good to hear, doubt he beats out Frisoli tho.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:17 pm

I would guess is that all of the Ivy ‘25 classes are full at this point. He would probably have to reclass and do a PG year if he wanted to go to an Ivy. Also, while I don’t see him beating out Fris, Tufts plays 2-3 lsm’s and I could easily see him in the mix.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

callaxdad wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:05 pm

I would guess is that all of the Ivy ‘25 classes are full at this point. He would probably have to reclass and do a PG year if he wanted to go to an Ivy. Also, while I don’t see him beating out Fris, Tufts plays 2-3 lsm’s and I could easily see him in the mix.
I'd love to survey the "D1 or bust" kids/families that end up sitting for two years with a minimal chance at PT in their 3rd season. I have a friend with a kid on a local Ivy squad. Rising Junior. Has 1 point in two seasons. He was the man for his MIAA team, 3 star rating. The education is still awesome, but he would have been having a lot more fun overall if the dude chose a NESCAC/W&L.

We had a kid, Casey Grugan, make the UA AA list as the only D3 commit. He was going to head up to Hofstra. For his own reasons, switched to Cabrini. Dominated. Had a blast. IDK why more kids don't see it.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:41 am
callaxdad wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:05 pm

I'd love to survey the "D1 or bust" kids/families that end up sitting for two years with a minimal chance at PT in their 3rd season. I have a friend with a kid on a local Ivy squad. Rising Junior. Has 1 point in two seasons. He was the man for his MIAA team, 3 star rating. The education is still awesome, but he would have been having a lot more fun overall if the dude chose a NESCAC/W&L.

We had a kid, Casey Grugan, make the UA AA list as the only D3 commit. He was going to head up to Hofstra. For his own reasons, switched to Cabrini. Dominated. Had a blast. IDK why more kids don't see it.
MVP, I think that’s a great conversation topic/starter. The way I’ve phrased it is, would you rather get an offer and go to Virginia, win a national championship but play on the scout team for four years or, go to a lesser Lacrosse school with world-class academics, and play all four years, maybe a school like Dartmouth? Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and these are nice choice to have if you’re that fortunate. For me, I’d want to see the field. Also, I would take an Ivy offer, of which there are about 70/yr, over the NESCAC all day long. However, outside of the Ivies and a handful or two of other D1 schools, I’m going top level NESCAC program. Get a better sheepskin and have a chance to play on MDW. But, to each his own.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Lacrosse is finite but your degree / college is for life. Some people have short term views and others have long term views. I too, would choose a college with the greatest earning potential / long term life satisfaction but thats just me and everyone has their own short term and long term goals. But I also would be curious about athletes choices re: d1 v d3, starting vs riding the bench, NIL vs no NIL, long term lax plans vs becoming a working stuff after grad, etc.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

So, my perspective, I want to Cabrini. Originally, to be a teacher/coach. Got my degree in Bus Admin/HR in 2004. Started my career in HR technology then moved to pre-sales in like 2011 (PSFT, then ORCL, then CRM, NOW). I don't think my earning potential would be any different if I went anywhere else. The initial value of opening a door or two seems pretty minimal. Just my experience. My best friend from Cabrini works at CBRE Clarion as a REIT trader. Same for him. Did we have lines into NYC or Silicon Valley? No. Did we care? Also no. I've met hundreds of people that graduated from way better schools (plenty of Ivies and service academies), and a lot of them SUCKED in my field. They won the initial conversation of where we went to school. That's about it. I got to say I played on a top 10/20 D3 lacrosse team and chased my passion. No way I'd trade my stories and experiences playing lacrosse at an academically humble place like Cabrini (which taught me a heap of stuff about myself) for a name on a piece of paper, and saying I sat the bench (or didn't make the team) for some mid-level D1 squad.

I'm hijacking the Tufts thread. Mae culpa!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:51 am So, my perspective, I want to Cabrini. Originally, to be a teacher/coach. Got my degree in Bus Admin/HR in 2004. Started my career in HR technology then moved to pre-sales in like 2011 (PSFT, then ORCL, then CRM, NOW). I don't think my earning potential would be any different if I went anywhere else. The initial value of opening a door or two seems pretty minimal. Just my experience. My best friend from Cabrini works at CBRE Clarion as a REIT trader. Same for him. Did we have lines into NYC or Silicon Valley? No. Did we care? Also no. I've met hundreds of people that graduated from way better schools (plenty of Ivies and service academies), and a lot of them SUCKED in my field. They won the initial conversation of where we went to school. That's about it. I got to say I played on a top 10/20 D3 lacrosse team and chased my passion. No way I'd trade my stories and experiences playing lacrosse at an academically humble place like Cabrini (which taught me a heap of stuff about myself) for a name on a piece of paper, and saying I sat the bench (or didn't make the team) for some mid-level D1 squad.

LOL MVP! You’re welcome on the Tufts thread any time (not that you need my approval nor does anyone control that!! 🤣🤣), you’re way better than a few hijackers (trolls!!) I can think of. Anyway, as a known lax junkie I’ve had numerous people ask me if there is any money in professional lacrosse. When I reply, tongue in cheek but with a straight face, you can make millions, people are aghast. I then follow up with, well, you make about $25-$50k playing lax but if you network with a guy on Wall St. thru lacrosse you can make millions! Point being, school matters for sure but, companies also like to hire well rounded candidates, especially athletes. Oh well, lunch break is over, back to greeting shoppers!! 🤣🤣
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:51 am So, my perspective, I want to Cabrini. Originally, to be a teacher/coach. Got my degree in Bus Admin/HR in 2004. Started my career in HR technology then moved to pre-sales in like 2011 (PSFT, then ORCL, then CRM, NOW). I don't think my earning potential would be any different if I went anywhere else. The initial value of opening a door or two seems pretty minimal. Just my experience. My best friend from Cabrini works at CBRE Clarion as a REIT trader. Same for him. Did we have lines into NYC or Silicon Valley? No. Did we care? Also no. I've met hundreds of people that graduated from way better schools (plenty of Ivies and service academies), and a lot of them SUCKED in my field. They won the initial conversation of where we went to school. That's about it. I got to say I played on a top 10/20 D3 lacrosse team and chased my passion. No way I'd trade my stories and experiences playing lacrosse at an academically humble place like Cabrini (which taught me a heap of stuff about myself) for a name on a piece of paper, and saying I sat the bench (or didn't make the team) for some mid-level D1 squad.

Your comments are always welcome as well as your insight! I would agree that where you go is dependent on what you make of that opportunity. My post was not to say that the "better college you go to, the better you do" as we know plenty of successful people who didnt go to great colleges and plenty of people who went to great colleges who are not as "successful". My point was more about chasing the lax dream vs chasing the life dream and sometimes that first interview is important where your life trajectory starts. Many lax players do finance / econ and maybe back in the day it didnt matter as much (as I was a finance major) but in this day and age, where you go, at least for that first job is dependent on where you graduate as not all finance degrees are equal. I was more curious about the player who has the ability to go to a "better" college without lax vs those who choose a "lesser" college just to say they played D1 or committed to lax at all. Since this is a Tufts thread, I would say your exit point into life from college coming from Tufts (Without lax) may be higher than someone who went to "insert lower d1/d3 school" with lax with that same degree (I will again state that your college does not define your life trajectory)
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Two lsm with their level of handle and scoring prowess could make double-poled face-off wings the primary option.
dannyric

Post by dannyric »

Bring on Mike Daly as an assistant in '25?

Anyone heard what he might be doing next year? Not sure he will get a job as a D1 assistant with no playing experience.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

dannyric wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:32 pm Bring on Mike Daly as an assistant in '25?

Anyone heard what he might be doing next year? Not sure he will get a job as a D1 assistant with no playing experience.
I think he's still under contract with Brown, meaning they are paying him, so he could go somewhere as an unpaid assistant and be selective and wait for the right opportunity for him and his family. If he takes a paid job I think Brown is off the hook. Can someone fact check this. Would be great if he could join forces with Casey!
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

callaxdad wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:30 pm
dannyric wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:32 pm Bring on Mike Daly as an assistant in '25?

I think he's still under contract with Brown, meaning they are paying him, so he could go somewhere as an unpaid assistant and be selective and wait for the right opportunity for him and his family. If he takes a paid job I think Brown is off the hook. Can someone fact check this. Would be great if he could join forces with Casey!
I love Mike, but NFW.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”