FBS/FCS Approach in D1 lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Late Slide

FBS/FCS Approach in D1 lacrosse

Post by Late Slide »

Given where NIL is going and how many of the dominant D1 lacrosse programs are budget happy, is there any benefit or value to moving NCAA D1 lacrosse to an FBS/FCS model? There may not be enough teams to pull this off, but as more and more schools create have and have not situations due to NIL, fully funded scholarships, and other school-based resources, it would seem to make sense. The LBS schools could use a small playoff and the LCS could involve an all school tournament.
mdk01

Re: FBS/FCS Approach in D1 lacrosse

Post by mdk01 »

Get back to me when the Ivies aren't competitive and not one of the 3 top conferences along with the ACC and the Big 10.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Late Slide wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:49 pm Given where NIL is going and how many of the dominant D1 lacrosse programs are budget happy, is there any benefit or value to moving NCAA D1 lacrosse to an FBS/FCS model? There may not be enough teams to pull this off, but as more and more schools create have and have not situations due to NIL, fully funded scholarships, and other school-based resources, it would seem to make sense. The LBS schools could use a small playoff and the LCS could involve an all school tournament.
Some of the Inside Lacrosse guys would appreciate this post. The concentration of players and resources in the ACC and B1G is becoming really apparent and widening. As mdk says above, the Ivy is the only thing probably stopping those 2 conferences from really pulling away. If Dartmouth and Brown can get stronger, then the Ivy from top to bottom will be just as strong as the ACC and B1G from top to bottom.

But the Big East and the other conference are falling behind for sure. The top of the Big East is good, but the bottom falls out pretty quickly in that conference.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Nah. The Inside Lacrosse guys would ask why you put the B1G into the equation as they kneel before the alter of the ACC.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

mdk01 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:47 pm Nah. The Inside Lacrosse guys would ask why you put the B1G into the equation as they kneel before the alter of the ACC.
LOLOLOLO!!!!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

There have been wider gaps between the top xx teams and the next call-it tier in the past.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

In Quint’s recent podcast with ND assistant coach Wellner he said that btw scholarship and NIL they have about 16 scholarships for their program.
a fan

Post by a fan »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:47 pm There have been wider gaps between the top xx teams and the next call-it tier in the past.
+1
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:35 pm
Late Slide wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:49 pm Given where NIL is going and how many of the dominant D1 lacrosse programs are budget happy, is there any benefit or value to moving NCAA D1 lacrosse to an FBS/FCS model? There may not be enough teams to pull this off, but as more and more schools create have and have not situations due to NIL, fully funded scholarships, and other school-based resources, it would seem to make sense. The LBS schools could use a small playoff and the LCS could involve an all school tournament.
Some of the Inside Lacrosse guys would appreciate this post. The concentration of players and resources in the ACC and B1G is becoming really apparent and widening. As mdk says above, the Ivy is the only thing probably stopping those 2 conferences from really pulling away. If Dartmouth and Brown can get stronger, then the Ivy from top to bottom will be just as strong as the ACC and B1G from top to bottom.

But the Big East and the other conference are falling behind for sure. The top of the Big East is good, but the bottom falls out pretty quickly in that conference.
So have a 15-20 teams d1? And want tv and national recognition for that? Regressive like when hop was winning titles at 3-0 over holy innocents school
For nuns and ywcas.

What’s good for the game isn’t what IL wants.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:47 pm There have been wider gaps between the top xx teams and the next call-it tier in the past.
As is other sports, our economy etc.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:05 am

So have a 15-20 teams d1? And want tv and national recognition for that? Regressive like when hop was winning titles at 3-0 over holy innocents school
For nuns and ywcas.

I don't think that's what the IL guys would advocate for. More like that's what they see happening due to $$.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

I think lax is more like hoops. Football needs to have two divisions for many reasons - including attrition. There are not enough lax teams to split either. And yes Big east middle to bottom is not good but georgetown will win a natty soon enough. As stated by a pp the Ivy league rosters are littered with kids who chose the “40 year” v “4 year” decision route e g had offers to acc big
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:05 am

For nuns and ywcas.

I don't think that's what the IL guys would advocate for. More like that's what they see happening due to $$.
You may be giving them too much credit but maybe not.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”