D1 Mens Lacrosse
NCC

UNC 2025

Post by NCC »

Let’s GO!!
CloutierPoutine

Re: UNC 2025

Post by CloutierPoutine »

Make or break year for sure. Pretty damn confident in every area besides midfield. One of our big time recruits has produce out of the box eventually! When does Owen Duffy enter the transfer portal?
coda

Post by coda »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:41 am Make or break year for sure. Pretty damn confident in every area besides midfield. One of our big time recruits has produce out of the box eventually! When does Owen Duffy enter the transfer portal?
This isnt uncommon in football. Kids threaten to enter the portal all the time. The idea isnt really to leave, but to use your leverage to increase your NIL money. Not sure that is what happened with Duffy, but I would guess it is greater than a 50% chance. It is just the world we live in.
Laxfan016

Post by Laxfan016 »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:41 am Make or break year for sure. Pretty damn confident in every area besides midfield. One of our big time recruits has produce out of the box eventually! When does Owen Duffy enter the transfer portal?
Is that the word on the street that he is leaving? I thought the portal recently closed for undergrads
CloutierPoutine

Laxfan016 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:47 am
Is that the word on the street that he is leaving? I thought the portal recently closed for undergrads
Just breaking balls. Highly doubt he ever considered the portal.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Someone said that a top attackman in the ACC was flirting with leaving. Found out who it was, and his last name is not Duffy.
CloutierPoutine

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:04 pm
Someone said that a top attackman in the ACC was flirting with leaving. Found out who it was, and his last name is not Duffy.
Spill the beans!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Obviously, not Petro.

A lot of speculation re: Spallina, though not as much lately.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:43 pm Obviously, not Petro.

Was it Balsamo?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

ChopMan23 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:28 pm

Was it Balsamo?
Technically, he was a midfielder at Duke and he wasn't just considering it. He left and that's dated news.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

blue angels wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:46 pm
ChopMan23 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:28 pm

Was it Balsamo?
Technically, he was a midfielder at Duke and he wasn't just considering it. He left and that's dated news.
Ya I know. I was just seeing if that is what the previous speculation was about. I assume that is now put to rest since undergrads can't enter anymore now?
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Lots of guys returning next year. With Gianforcaro likely replacing Krieg, the only real question mark is the 3rd spot at close defense. Not a whole lot in terms of experience among the returning long poles.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Top scorer from the midfield last year scored 12 goals. 9 different guys got time at midfield last year and combined for 63 goals. By contrast, the first midfields alone at UVA, Duke, Cuse, and ND scored 62, 70, 75, and 76 goals.

Two guys on UNC have scored 20 goals while playing some or predominantly midfield in the last 3 seasons total.

There’s been a total lack of any sort of production from that spot since the big line of Anderson-Cook-Perry graduated. It’s absolutely the most glaring issue with the team
CloutierPoutine

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:02 am Top scorer from the midfield last year scored 12 goals. 9 different guys got time at midfield last year and combined for 63 goals. By contrast, the first midfields alone at UVA, Duke, Cuse, and ND scored 62, 70, 75, and 76 goals.

Two guys on UNC have scored 20 goals while playing some or predominantly midfield in the last 3 seasons total.

There’s been a total lack of any sort of production from that spot since the big line of Anderson-Cook-Perry graduated. It’s absolutely the most glaring issue with the team
Maybe Antonio DeMarco can finally become the first line midfielder we have seen flashes of. Has to stay healthy. Do we know if Trevor Deubner can come back for a grad year? He payed very well at the end of the year.
coda

Post by coda »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:34 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:02 am Top scorer from the midfield last year scored 12 goals. 9 different guys got time at midfield last year and combined for 63 goals. By contrast, the first midfields alone at UVA, Duke, Cuse, and ND scored 62, 70, 75, and 76 goals.

Maybe Antonio DeMarco can finally become the first line midfielder we have seen flashes of. Has to stay healthy. Do we know if Trevor Deubner can come back for a grad year? He payed very well at the end of the year.
offense needs more movement (player and ball) and patience. That is not surprising, when you have freshmen at #1 and #2 in overall shots. Duffy is very talented, but he was not ready to carry an offense. I think that is more game IQ, than physical. Unfortunately, experience is the best teacher of game IQ. Asking them to be your top options highlighted their faults, not their strengths. UNC really needs Duffy and Petro to grow up and become solid decision makers.
CloutierPoutine

coda wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:13 pm
CloutierPoutine wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:34 am

offense needs more movement (player and ball) and patience. That is not surprising, when you have freshmen at #1 and #2 in overall shots. Duffy is very talented, but he was not ready to carry an offense. I think that is more game IQ, than physical. Unfortunately, experience is the best teacher of game IQ. Asking them to be your top options highlighted their faults, not their strengths. UNC really needs Duffy and Petro to grow up and become solid decision makers.
Give me a UNC version of Ament + O'Keefe please!
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

From a distant perspective seems late game production from Duffy was lacking. Seems to have run out of gas. With a huge roster, a 2 minute per quarter break likely would have helped him have some extra gas in the tank as the team lost a few games late due to the offense shutting down. Believe his knee injury might be an overuse injury. A two minute break would also give the time/ experience for someone on the huge roster.
Over-reliance on one player who was “given the keys to the offense” early i believe hurt him and the team.
The best offensive performance of the year by far was the last game when the ball was in the hands of an experienced distributer( McGovern) and multiple players scored goals in a surprising final performance. Makes one wonder what could have been. Team was also down 6-5 at half to ND, National Champs.
Hope next year the offense is more balanced and of course the midfield more productive,
Do feel they are bringing back a lot whereas other ACC teams may be losing more. Eternal optimist but next year results is critical.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Incoming freshmen Mason Szewczyk (I'm going to hate trying to remember how to spell this guy's name the next 4 years), Caden Harshbarger, Ben Fox, and Chase Cellucci played in the National All-Star Senior game a couple days ago.

I thought Harshbarger and Cellucci both had great games. Had only seen old highlights of Harshbarger before now and thought he looked a bit rough around the edges, but he seems to have doubled down on the fundamentals since then. Great speed, and finished the game with a couple goals and a nice assist. Reminds me a bit of Justin Anderson. Cellucci was consistently solid against his assignments and had a couple nice groundballs and double teams.

Szewczyk and Fox both had some good plays between them but were a bit streakier (expected in an all-star game). Szewczyk finished with 1g1a, and had two unlucky pipe shots on two slam dunks right in front of the goal.

I had already been planning to keep my eye on Szewczyk, Harshbarger, and Fox because I thought they have the best chance at playing time next year. Cellucci was a pleasant surprise.
CloutierPoutine

10 10 2 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:40 pm Incoming freshmen Mason Szewczyk (I'm going to hate trying to remember how to spell this guy's name the next 4 years), Caden Harshbarger, Ben Fox, and Chase Cellucci played in the National All-Star Senior game a couple days ago.

I thought Harshbarger and Cellucci both had great games. Had only seen old highlights of Harshbarger before now and thought he looked a bit rough around the edges, but he seems to have doubled down on the fundamentals since then. Great speed, and finished the game with a couple goals and a nice assist. Reminds me a bit of Justin Anderson. Cellucci was consistently solid against his assignments and had a couple nice groundballs and double teams.

Szewczyk and Fox both had some good plays between them but were a bit streakier (expected in an all-star game). Szewczyk finished with 1g1a, and had two unlucky pipe shots on two slam dunks right in front of the goal.

I had already been planning to keep my eye on Szewczyk, Harshbarger, and Fox because I thought they have the best chance at playing time next year. Cellucci was a pleasant surprise.
Harshbarger and Szewczyk certainly have the potential to contribute right away and we are desperate for Midfield production. Anticipating seeing one or both on the 2nd line early.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”