D Day + 80 years

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

D Day + 80 years

Post by cradleandshoot »

I was happy to see the tribute to these very few remaining WW2 veterans. I only hope that their personal first hand experience will live on for future generations. The biggest mistake we could ever make is that 20 years from now future HS students might say ...what was D Day? IMO the magnificent book The Longest Day should be mandatory reading for all HS students. Cornelius Ryan researched his book brilliantly. He talked to all sides that were a part of Operation Overlord.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Re: D Day + 80 years

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:19 am I was happy to see the tribute to these very few remaining WW2 veterans. I only hope that their personal first hand experience will live on for future generations. The biggest mistake we could ever make is that 20 years from now future HS students might say ...what was D Day? IMO the magnificent book The Longest Day should be mandatory reading for all HS students. Cornelius Ryan researched his book brilliantly. He talked to all sides that were a part of Operation Overlord.
Agreed, and thanks for noting it. It is already slipping away from the TikTok generation. Another good one is Max Hastings' book, Overlord.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:41 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:19 am I was happy to see the tribute to these very few remaining WW2 veterans. I only hope that their personal first hand experience will live on for future generations. The biggest mistake we could ever make is that 20 years from now future HS students might say ...what was D Day? IMO the magnificent book The Longest Day should be mandatory reading for all HS students. Cornelius Ryan researched his book brilliantly. He talked to all sides that were a part of Operation Overlord.
Agreed, and thanks for noting it. It is already slipping away from the TikTok generation. Another good one is Max Hastings' book, Overlord.
My dad landed on Omaha Beach around D +14. His outfit began to assemble as a part of Georgie Pattons US Third Army. He had a front row seat from the breakout at St Lo until crossing the Rhine River on the same day Georgie Patton tinkled in it.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Andy Rooney (who was there as a war correspondent) and his famous take on D-Day - please give it a listen

DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:41 am
You betchya, we don't need to wait twenty years to see that.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Kismet wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:45 am Andy Rooney (who was there as a war correspondent) and his famous take on D-Day - please give it a listen

Unfathomable. You only truly know what this was like if you were there.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Biden came of very well in his remarks in Normandy today. They say he is too old. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:03 pm Biden came of very well in his remarks in Normandy today. They say he is too old. :lol:
Who would " they" be? Bidens greatest achievement today in Normandy was that he didn't do a face plant on the beach. Maybe if there were some random stones scattered hither and yon Biden could have made a cross out of random stones scattered hither and yon on the beach. No wait I think another former president already did that. :D The rumor is that was a staged photo op. ;) Who would have guessed that?
Bob Ross:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Get a grip. Trump’s mental state has deteriorated greatky. He is often bareky, if that, coherent. We have probably all seen him stumble upstairs or wearing soiked pants. What we do know about Bisen is he has never been tried fir felonies. Never penalized for taking charitable donations fir kids cancer. Never defrauded student at his university, never been a serial adulterer,, never a ysed any wife, never bought a teen beauty pagent so he could enter dressing rooms, never flown in young women from eastern europe for parties, never directed tax payer money to his family, never revesled tge nation’s secrets to our enemies, never referred to the military as sucjers and losers, never been a chronic liar, never threatened to create camps for classes of people, never threatened the press, never threatened freedom of speech, never tgrestened to murder people ….,,
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrUAHQkLKtY

Actor Tom Hanks sat down with CNN's Christiane Amanpour as celebrations for the 80th anniversary of D-Day, marking the beginning of the end of World War II, are underway.

Return to “POLITICS”