Your Most Memorable National Title Game Ever?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Your Most Memorable National Title Game Ever?

Post by gymman1031 »

Feel free to give your reasoning!
Farfromgeneva

Re: Your Most Memorable National Title Game Ever?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

04 or 09. 04 better game imm 09 had that ending
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

As a Denver fan, 2015 Denver vs Maryland in Philadelphia. Sure it was the first (and only) lax title for my school, so for that alone, it's my most memorable. Moreover, the game itself was no great shakes, compared to the Denver OT semi win over Notre Dame that preceded it, but the moment that Denver, a school from the Mountain Time Zone, won that NCAA title for the first time over the Terps, I think sports historians will mark that day as a major milestone in the college game's perceptual transition from a purely regional sport into a more national sport.

That transition remains long and slow, given Title IX and financial realities, but the player pool is already national, and someday, this great game will be coast to coast at the DI level, assuming college sports doesn't crumble...
CU77

Post by CU77 »

1976, undefeated defending champ and #1 seed Maryland vs undefeated #2 seed Cornell:
On the eve of Saturday's NCAA lacrosse championship at Brown University, Cliff Stevenson, the host school's lacrosse coach, sat in the stands in Brown Stadium watching the undefeated finalists, Maryland and Cornell, work out. Less than two weeks before, Stevenson's squad had played them back to back. "This could be the greatest lacrosse game of all time," he said. "I've been coaching 26 years and these are the two best teams I've ever seen."
https://vault.si.com/vault/1976/06/07/b ... -the-terps
Slim

Post by Slim »

1981 @ Princeton (Palmer Stadium?)
UNC 14 JHU 13
Mike Burnett v Jeff Cook
Awesomeness!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Memorable =/= best, so '09 Cuse>Cornell, wild finish, & 20?? Duke>ND OT win, longpole faceoff goal. Not great games overall, but memorable.
The pre-Great Recession games at Raven's Stadium are memorable, semis & finals, for the crowd sizes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Slim wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:41 am 1981 @ Princeton (Palmer Stadium?)
UNC 14 JHU 13
Mike Burnett v Jeff Cook
Awesomeness!
That was the game officials disallowed 3 hopkins goals including one that tore a hole in the net Cook was photographed holding his hand up and through. Another was a disallowed goal off a face off that the officials disallowed ruling a Dman came out of the box too early . He didn’t. Oddly tge officials were from Southern Lacrosse. Assigning officials methods changed as a result. Bob Scott et al were livid
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

OCanada wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:38 am
UNC 14 JHU 13
Mike Burnett v Jeff Cook
Awesomeness!
That was the game officials disallowed 3 hopkins goals including one that tore a hole in the net Cook was photographed holding his hand up and through. Another was a disallowed goal off a face off that the officials disallowed ruling a Dman came out of the box too early . He didn’t. Oddly tge officials were from Southern Lacrosse. Assigning officials methods changed as a result. Bob Scott et al were livid
Agreed. The most memorable are the nightmares, and Cook's no-goals in 1981 and Tillman Johnson in the mud in 2003 rank high.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

‘03 Hoos over Hop. Tillman Johnson showing why he’s the greatest goalie to ever play the game.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Scooping balls out of the mud doesn't define great goalie play... :roll:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse-Navy in '04. Epic battle, intensity level off the charts.
RIP Lt. Brendan Looney, Navy SEAL.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:26 am Scooping balls out of the mud doesn't define great goalie play... :roll:
More like drinking your milkshake.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfU6jo_ODI

Luckily for you there’s video evidence of Tillman emasculating your entire team at point blank range. No “scooping” involved.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

DMac wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:31 am Cuse-Navy in '04. Epic battle, intensity level off the charts.
RIP Lt. Brendan Looney, Navy SEAL.
In that game the Navy goalie played injured and could not raise one arm above his shoulder. Cuse scored high more than they might have.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:28 am Memorable =/= best, so '09 Cuse>Cornell, wild finish, & 20?? Duke>ND OT win, longpole faceoff goal. Not great games overall, but memorable.
The pre-Great Recession games at Raven's Stadium are memorable, semis & finals, for the crowd sizes.
2010 petty sure
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
thegman

Post by thegman »

Puck Swami wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:47 pm As a Denver fan, 2015 Denver vs Maryland in Philadelphia. Sure it was the first (and only) lax title for my school, so for that alone, it's my most memorable. Moreover, the game itself was no great shakes, compared to the Denver OT semi win over Notre Dame that preceded it, but the moment that Denver, a school from the Mountain Time Zone, won that NCAA title for the first time over the Terps, I think sports historians will mark that day as a major milestone in the college game's perceptual transition from a purely regional sport into a more national sport.

That transition remains long and slow, given Title IX and financial realities, but the player pool is already national, and someday, this great game will be coast to coast at the DI level, assuming college sports doesn't crumble...
Agreed with your take on game exposure. Before that '15 title for your guys, the MOST western home of any title team was Chapel Hill.
87Lax

Post by 87Lax »

'05 title game in Philly.
All-time great punch out of Virginia in the semis, then that tense back/forth final v Duke.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:39 am2009.
Yes. That ending.
blx9

Post by blx9 »

2010 duke-uva semi final game one of the greatest tilts ever
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

UNC 14 JHU 13
Mike Burnett v Jeff Cook
Awesomeness!
I was at that game - tremendous game.

Jeff Cook with one of the all-time individual efforts past 4-5-6 UNC players for the goal to get Hopkins within 1.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”