Mikey Powell appreciation thread

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hooz123

Mikey Powell appreciation thread

Post by Hooz123 »

UVa guy, but damn...Mikey Powell was an absolute freak. He walked so PKav et al could run.
youthathletics

Re: Mikey Powell appreciation thread

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mike Powell reminds me a little bit of Freedy Johnson.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Some fun clips / shorts.

Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Dude was awesome. I wonder if kids these days understand how much of a superstar this guy was...
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:49 am Some fun clips / shorts.

Watched both of those and it was quick reminder of his brilliance on the field.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

The greatest of all time. I know this would make Paul Rabil cringe because he doesn’t have the professional accolades of others, but the pinnacle of lacrosse is the college game, and there hasn’t been a better college lacrosse player than him. While I think the skill level of today’s game has grown exponentially from early 2000’s lacrosse, he could dominate in today’s game just as easily as he did in his era.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Certainly the best in the modern era (post offset ~1995).

4x 1st Team All-America
4x Attackman of the year (Turnbull award)
2x Tewaaraton Winner
2x National Champion (+ runner up and final four)

Numerous other awards. Only 7 D1 guys have earned first team AA honors all four years. That's some rarefied air.

I'm not sure who would even be in the discussion with him since 2004. Lyle Thompson if he had a better freshman year? He's got 2 Tewaaratons and 2x Attackman of the year. Shellenberger is now a 4x first team All America selection with a Natty, 1x Attackman of the year, but I'm not sure he's a transformative talent like Powell or Thompson.

No one has had that kind of sustained talent since him though.
Last edited by NattyBohChamps04 on Fri May 24, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I didn't see it mentioned above so I'll chime in that he also won a world championship in Australia in 2002. MLL guys weren't allowed to compete, and the USA team had a number of college players on it plus at least one of the Lowe brothers.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Sometimes I go back and watch the 2004 Syracuse final four games vs. JHU and Navy. The SU offense, especially in the final vs. Navy, was so efficient. Navy won the face off battle of Pieczonka vs. Brennan (a freshman), but SU scored with scary efficiency and Russell didn't seem 100% in goal and even had to come out in the 4th quarter.

I think that Syracuse offense was a great example of how to play with a star player. Other guys could and did dodge, like Lindsay, Dougherty, Crockett and Vallone, but when Powell dodged, guys were cutting with the expectation of getting the ball or finding a soft spot for a skip pass.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Interesting also that for a smaller guy, even the biggest, fastest, and strongest poles had trouble with him physically. That speed, stick, body leveraging, and lightning quick change of direction provided nightmares and fits for the best defensemen of the day. Great on the ride, too.

It shouldn't be forgotten that his freshman year in the championship game he was given the ball and the burden of tying things up with 16 seconds left in regulation against Princeton. Result: Unassisted goal forcing OT for the title (which SU lost on a BJ Prager goal). Not many Freshmen in the history of the game in a situation along those lines would have their coaches and team hand them the ball in complete confidence.

Freshman year of 30 goals, 40 assists and 69 GB's. What the actual heck?!?!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not the only place outstanding lacrosse players have played but we fans in Cuse have been mighty lucky to watch some of the best of the best to play the game here over the years. Mikey was sure one of them.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Hooz123 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:29 pm UVa guy, but damn...Mikey Powell was an absolute freak. He walked so PKav et al could run.
Not saying he is in his wheelhouse . But Pat Kavanaugh does play w that MP relentless attitude and why he is successful . Same w Chris. MP first step was better than anyone in the history of lacrosse. His ability as a playmaker is the GOAT. Not the best stick. But a pure playmaker. Pat K has that resemblance to make plays and his grit & tuffness are similar.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

What the he££! What brought about this thread? I read the title of this thread and thought he had died! Thank FSM It's not a eulogy!! Whew😳
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Sometimes people on this thing take them to seriously! It’s ok If u want to post a MP post . It’s forum about lacrosse. Come up for air.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

When I saw this thread I assumed the same.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:41 am Sometimes I go back and watch the 2004 Syracuse final four games vs. JHU and Navy. The SU offense, especially in the final vs. Navy, was so efficient. Navy won the face off battle of Pieczonka vs. Brennan (a freshman), but SU scored with scary efficiency and Russell didn't seem 100% in goal and even had to come out in the 4th quarter.

I think that Syracuse offense was a great example of how to play with a star player. Other guys could and did dodge, like Lindsay, Dougherty, Crockett and Vallone, but when Powell dodged, guys were cutting with the expectation of getting the ball or finding a soft spot for a skip pass.
Russell indeed was not 100%. He injured his shoulder and started the game not being able to lift his arm over his shouoder.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Love this song...not sure if he is still playing gigs, his website hasnt been updates since 2022.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
blx9

Post by blx9 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:09 am
Hooz123 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:29 pm UVa guy, but damn...Mikey Powell was an absolute freak. He walked so PKav et al could run.
Not saying he is in his wheelhouse . But Pat Kavanaugh does play w that MP relentless attitude and why he is successful . Same w Chris. MP first step was better than anyone in the history of lacrosse. His ability as a playmaker is the GOAT. Not the best stick. But a pure playmaker. Pat K has that resemblance to make plays and his grit & tuffness are similar.
Steele stanwick had the best stick skills in NCAA history. younger brothers not far behind. go watch the tape
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

blx9 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:52 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:09 am
Steele stanwick had the best stick skills in NCAA history. younger brothers not far behind. go watch the tape
Did you read what I said? I think SS was incredible. Have to think about best stick skills. But MP was more of burner and play maker!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”