Possible Tournament Upsets?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Possible Tournament Upsets?

Post by faircornell »

Of the first eight games, I can think of four where the home team might not make it through:

UVA vs St. Josephs: UVA has tremendous talent, but has not been winning. Granted they have been playing the top programs in the country. In contrast, St. Joe's has one of the longest unbeaten streaks in the country.

Denver vs. Michigan: Michigan is "hot', with recent wins over Hopkins and PSU. Denver has some quality wins, but dropped a surprising game to Villanova. Denver does, however, have a unique home field advantage between distance and altitude.

Maryland vs. Princeton: Maryland, generally, has had an "off" back half of the season, dropping games to Hopkins and PSU. Princeton has some really impressive talent and finished the season strong, beating Penn twice and Yale twice. A "hot" Princeton team could surprise some.

Georgetown vs PSU: These teams seem fairly even. Penn State was 11-4 with several quality wins. Georgetown at 11-3 boasts a win against Notre Dame. Massey ranks them #7 and #8 respectively.
BigTurn

Re: Possible Tournament Upsets?

Post by BigTurn »

Towson will not be a cake walk
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Towson over Cuse, Michigan over Denver, Princeton over Maryland, Penn State over Georgetown, Saint Josephs over UVa would not surprise me.

Slightly less probably but Lehigh over a dumpster fire Hopkins offense wouldnt shock me either.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:56 am Towson over Cuse, Michigan over Denver, Princeton over Maryland, Penn State over Georgetown, Saint Josephs over UVa would not surprise me.

Slightly less probably but Lehigh over a dumpster fire Hopkins offense wouldnt shock me either.
I think Crawley and PM can fix the problems on O. They know they can’t survive in the tournament by scoring 7 goals a game.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

norcalhop wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:56 am Towson over Cuse, Michigan over Denver, Princeton over Maryland, Penn State over Georgetown, Saint Josephs over UVa would not surprise me.

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

On the other hand, though - just about every team is a dumpster fire in one way or another.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:36 am Of the first eight games, I can think of four where the home team might not make it through:

UVA vs St. Josephs: UVA has tremendous talent, but has not been winning. Granted they have been playing the top programs in the country. In contrast, St. Joe's has one of the longest unbeaten streaks in the country.

Denver vs. Michigan: Michigan is "hot', with recent wins over Hopkins and PSU. Denver has some quality wins, but dropped a surprising game to Villanova. Denver does, however, have a unique home field advantage between distance and altitude.

Maryland vs. Princeton: Maryland, generally, has had an "off" back half of the season, dropping games to Hopkins and PSU. Princeton has some really impressive talent and finished the season strong, beating Penn twice and Yale twice. A "hot" Princeton team could surprise some.

Georgetown vs PSU: These teams seem fairly even. Penn State was 11-4 with several quality wins. Georgetown at 11-3 boasts a win against Notre Dame. Massey ranks them #7 and #8 respectively.
St. Joe's lost its first three games of the season, and hasn't lost since; beat Penn 12-7 in March. This should be a very entertaining game, and I could see UVA losing.

Perhaps Denver's home-field advantage is over-rated? Easy to imagine the Wolverines taking this one.

Can Princeton win face-offs? If not, then the Terps hold serve. If Princeton can hold its own at the dot and goalie Gianfocaro plays well, then this should be a good, close game with an upset possible.

Once you get to the 8th seed, it's not much of an upset if the home team loses. Assuming Penn State shows up to play at Georgetown, this is anyone's game.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

SJU is probably the only real upset. Michigan, PSU and Princeton are expected. Cuse is better but young.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

SJU is probably the only real upset. Michigan, PSU and Princeton are expected. Cuse is better but young.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:13 am

If Cuse D and goalie don't show, like they didn't vs Duke other night, they're done early.
DMac

Post by DMac »

It's graduation day for Cuse, begins at 0930 hrs, ends at about 1230 hrs.
Not a good day for Cuse to be playing a lose and go home game. There's
that factor.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:04 am
faircornell wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:36 am Of the first eight games, I can think of four where the home team might not make it through:

St. Joe's lost its first three games of the season, and hasn't lost since; beat Penn 12-7 in March. This should be a very entertaining game, and I could see UVA losing.

Perhaps Denver's home-field advantage is over-rated? Easy to imagine the Wolverines taking this one.

Can Princeton win face-offs? If not, then the Terps hold serve. If Princeton can hold its own at the dot and goalie Gianfocaro plays well, then this should be a good, close game with an upset possible.

Once you get to the 8th seed, it's not much of an upset if the home team loses. Assuming Penn State shows up to play at Georgetown, this is anyone's game.
McMeekin is one heck of a FOGO...
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

faircornell wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:40 am

McMeekin went 1-16 against Weirman in the first matchup.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

St. Joe's had a goalie issue early in the year.
They put in the 2nd(?) line goalie and he has played well, they really tightened up the defense - and they were still working on moving on from Zach Cole at faceoff.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If Michigan over Denver qualifies as an upset, then that's the one I'd go with. Momentum is a real thing this time of year and the Wolverines have it.

At the end of the day I think the other significant home favorites (Hopkins, Syracuse, Virginia) get the job done though it may be too close for comfort for some of them.

Maryland-Princeton and Georgetown-PSU both seem like true tossups to me.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

When the two teams played early on this year, Maryland won 21 of 24 face-offs. McKeekin went 1-16 that game. Was he playing injured? I know that people are seeing this game as a toss-up, but it's difficult to overcome the sort of face-off deficit Princeton had in the first meeting.
coda

Post by coda »

MIchigan and Penn State are favored, so technically not an upset.
laxlax29

Post by laxlax29 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:34 am

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

On the other hand, though - just about every team is a dumpster fire in one way or another.
Seriously. Does any team besides Notre Dame and Duke not have serious, serious flaws? And sometimes Duke just doesn't show up, though it seems they're locked in and playing to their full potential right now and I expect that to continue.
coda

Post by coda »

He had an odd split.. He was 65% vs teh Ivies and was 39% vs tournament teams
Maryland: 1-16 6.25%
UNC: 11- 28 - 39.29%
DUke: 13-20 65.0%
Lehigh: 7-18 38.9%
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxlax29 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:26 am

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

Seriously. Does any team besides Notre Dame and Duke not have serious, serious flaws? And sometimes Duke just doesn't show up, though it seems they're locked in and playing to their full potential right now and I expect that to continue.
Not showing up isn't a serious flaw?
coda

Post by coda »

laxlax29 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:26 am

Hah !
Dumpster fire !

I would add Cuse next to Duke. I dont see a fatal flaw there.

PSU is dangerous, if they learn how to face off
Hopkins is dangerous, if the offense reverts to about a month ago
UVA is dangerous, if the defense finds discipline
Princeton is dangerous, if they can continue to win face offs

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”