Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:17 pm Add William and Mary to the list of openings.
Great school, nice area, within range of any of a number of hotbeds...you'd think someone could take this job and turn things around?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Re: FSU

Ask yourself, do you truly expect an ACC (soon to be SEC) athletic director to hire…a high school coach? Chris Robinson is fantastic. A legend. A hall of famer. But come on…

“Dear Mrs. 15-20 year coach with top tier playing and coaching experience, who has worked hard to climb the ranks, our athletic department has decided to hire a male high school coach for our ACC program. We appreciate your interest in our program and wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

The old boys/tone deaf club.”
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 pm Re: FSU

Ask yourself, do you truly expect an ACC (soon to be SEC) athletic director to hire…a high school coach? Chris Robinson is fantastic. A legend. A hall of famer. But come on…

“Dear Mrs. 15-20 year coach with top tier playing and coaching experience, who has worked hard to climb the ranks, our athletic department has decided to hire a male high school coach for our ACC program. We appreciate your interest in our program and wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

Not to mention…

Wasn’t the genesis of this program the fact that a group of club lacrosse players sued the university for title nine violations? Or something to that effect? And their response to that would be… To hire a male high school coach to run the program?
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:49 pm

Sincerely,

Not to mention…

Wasn’t the genesis of this program the fact that a group of club lacrosse players sued the university for title nine violations? Or something to that effect? And their response to that would be… To hire a male high school coach to run the program?
Are you saying that you don't believe they would be that clueless and stupid? Because I do believe they would be.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:49 pm

Sincerely,

Not to mention…

Are you saying that you don't believe they would be that clueless and stupid? Because I do believe they would be.
I have faith they won’t be that clueless and stupid.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:17 pm Add William and Mary to the list of openings.
Great school, nice area, within range of any of a number of hotbeds...you'd think someone could take this job and turn things around?
Is that a nice area? It's near Norfolk I think, which has horrible congestion. That general area seems to be crowded and looks so run down. Maybe W&M is far enough out of the chaos?
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

WLaxdad wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:19 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 pm
Is that a nice area? It's near Norfolk I think, which has horrible congestion. That general area seems to be crowded and looks so run down. Maybe W&M is far enough out of the chaos?
W&M is in Williamsburg VA. Norfolk is about 1 hour away
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Williamsburg is glorious, as is the W&M campus. I agree 100% that this program, given the academic profile of the school, proximity to lax hotbeds, and the ability to give athletic $$ sets them up for success. Hope it happens.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:32 am Williamsburg is glorious, as is the W&M campus. I agree 100% that this program, given the academic profile of the school, proximity to lax hotbeds, and the ability to give athletic $$ sets them up for success. Hope it happens.
Agree, Williamsburg is a great location (if you don't mind all the tourists. :lol: )
They haven't had much success since Halfpenny left to take the ND job.

Its a head scratcher. They should do better.

But then again Halfpenny was only 53 - 44 (54%) over 5 years. :roll:
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:32 am Williamsburg is glorious, as is the W&M campus. I agree 100% that this program, given the academic profile of the school, proximity to lax hotbeds, and the ability to give athletic $$ sets them up for success. Hope it happens.
The last time they went to the NCAA Tournament...2001

The last time they had a winning season...2011

Last time they had 2 or more consecutive years of .500 or better...2008-11(Christine Halfpenny)

William & Mary used to be a great program(under HOFer, Feffie Barnhill) and then they seemed to stop caring.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:33 pm

Last time they had 2 or more consecutive years of .500 or better...2008-11(Christine Halfpenny)

William & Mary used to be a great program(under HOFer, Feffie Barnhill) and then they seemed to stop caring.
There are a number of other similar schools to W&M that I don’t understand why they aren’t terribly successful. The Patriot League schools (taking out the service academies and Loyola) come to mind in particular.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

lax410 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 pm

There are a number of other similar schools to W&M that I don’t understand why they aren’t terribly successful. The Patriot League schools (taking out the service academies and Loyola) come to mind in particular.
I think location of PL Schools (Northeast), and academic requirements hurts the league overall. There are only so many talented lacrosse players with great academics. Why would you pick Bucknell/Lehigh over Hopkins/Duke?
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

tothedraw wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:35 pm

I think location of PL Schools (Northeast), and academic requirements hurts the league overall. There are only so many talented lacrosse players with great academics. Why would you pick Bucknell/Lehigh over Hopkins/Duke?
With the number of private schools in those areas of the NE, there are plenty of girls to choose from that would get into the Patriot League schools academically.

Looking at the 3 PL Pennsylvania schools, the biggest issue they face is a lack of connection to the Philly club/high school teams. If you look at Lehigh, Lafayette and Bucknell's rosters and their 2024 class, there are very few field players from Philly. The CAA and MAAC have much better Philly relationships than most PL teams with the exception of Loyola and Navy.

If the league does a better job of recruiting its backyard it will improve significantly.
spinnersend2

Post by spinnersend2 »

Add Duquesne to the list of teams in search of a new head coach
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Regarding Patriot League teams, are most of them fully funded (I have no idea). I had heard AU only had 4 scholarships for womens lacrosse. Again, no clue if that is true or not, but what someone told me...
spinnersend2

Post by spinnersend2 »

spidey44 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:31 am Regarding Patriot League teams, are most of them fully funded (I have no idea). I had heard AU only had 4 scholarships for womens lacrosse. Again, no clue if that is true or not, but what someone told me...
When my daughter was being recruited American told us they were fully funded.
Regarding Bucknell and Lafayette they do not recruit the local hotbed hard. Knew a few high academic recruits in the 21/22 classes that could not get offers and really wanted to be at those schools yet had them from low end B1G and ACC.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

spidey44 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:31 am Regarding Patriot League teams, are most of them fully funded (I have no idea). I had heard AU only had 4 scholarships for womens lacrosse. Again, no clue if that is true or not, but what someone told me...
Loyola is
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

tothedraw wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:35 pm

Agree with this regarding location. Why play games on a small campus in icy 30 degree rainy weather when you can go play in the warmer weather? Although Lehigh seems to have a top 5-10 goalie that no one has ever heard of. So some kids don’t mind.

Pretty sure most of them are fully funded.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:01 am
Loyola is
The one that I assumed was...
spinnersend2

Post by spinnersend2 »

Additionally, not all PL schools combine academic and athletic money. Specifically Bucknell does not and PL schools carry a healthy price tag.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”