Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Relax77 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:04 pm
Relax77 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:46 pm Lehigh with a good showing today. 😳
Hasn't been much excitement with that program since Dickey left.
18-0 is a joke. That’s a rec league score
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Relax77 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:28 pm
I dont like the optics, but not sure if it was piling on or F.U. goals situation. I am sure someone will comment.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:37 pm
I dont like the optics, but not sure if it was piling on or F.U. goals situation. I am sure someone will comment.
Well, it was 14-0 at end of third. The 4 goals scored in fourth quarter were by Georgia Latch, Allana Wray, Sydni Black and Anna Ruby so it wasn't bench players scoring. No goals were scored in the last 7:48 of the game though. What's a bit surprising is that Loyola only used 5 subs in the whole game. Seems a bit shortsighted with another game to play against Navy tomorrow. Why not give other girls some run and take advantage of the situation to rest your starters? It was hot in Baltimore yesterday.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

hmmm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:42 pm
Well, it was 14-0 at end of third. The 4 goals scored in fourth quarter were by Georgia Latch, Allana Wray, Sydni Black and Anna Ruby so it wasn't bench players scoring. No goals were scored in the last 7:48 of the game though. What's a bit surprising is that Loyola only used 5 subs in the whole game. Seems a bit shortsighted with another game to play against Navy tomorrow. Why not give other girls some run and take advantage of the situation to rest your starters? It was hot in Baltimore yesterday.
There is no reason some of those players should still be on the field going into the fourth when the score line is what it was.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

laxlaxlax wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:48 pm
There is no reason some of those players should still be on the field going into the fourth when the score line is what it was.
Even left Lauren Spence in for the full 60. Maybe wanted her to be able to close out the shutout?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

The coaching staff is obviously top class there but this is a head scratcher - and not the first time this season she's done it. Probably trying to impress the committee to get a seed. IF that's the case, hopefully they wouldn't be swayed by such nonsense.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I get that some may look at this with Loyola playing their starters at the end as a problem. But you can not get shut out in a women’s lacrosse game. That is a joke and clearly Lehigh has to look to see if this is a coaching problem. They beat Army yes but lost to Colgate and Lafayette. They should be better than they are.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Justalaxdad wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:00 pm
The coaching staff is obviously top class there but this is a head scratcher - and not the first time this season she's done it. Probably trying to impress the committee to get a seed. IF that's the case, hopefully they wouldn't be swayed by such nonsense.
I kind of baited the conversation...knew what would come. I didn't know the particulars of who played or who didn't, but after a few years of watching the Hounds, I expected what you all have posted. Still one of those things I don't understand about that coaching staff. So many reasons to have starters safe on the bench after the result was known...
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Relax77 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:30 pm I get that some may look at this with Loyola playing their starters at the end as a problem. But you can not get shut out in a women’s lacrosse game. That is a joke and clearly Lehigh has to look to see if this is a coaching problem. They beat Army yes but lost to Colgate and Lafayette. They should be better than they are.
Coach has not been able to keep up with the times.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Brownlax wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:39 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:30 pm I get that some may look at this with Loyola playing their starters at the end as a problem. But you can not get shut out in a women’s lacrosse game. That is a joke and clearly Lehigh has to look to see if this is a coaching problem. They beat Army yes but lost to Colgate and Lafayette. They should be better than they are.
Coach has not been able to keep up with the times.
Wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t step down and the Penn St assistant becomes HC.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:46 pm
I kind of baited the conversation...knew what would come. I didn't know the particulars of who played or who didn't, but after a few years of watching the Hounds, I expected what you all have posted. Still one of those things I don't understand about that coaching staff. So many reasons to have starters safe on the bench after the result was known...
I have to believe they are pushing for a seed because it just doesn’t make sense (btw, this is not only a Loyola thing, many coaches do it). My question to the coaches would be, “if 5 or 11 got hurt in such meaningless minutes, would a seed matter?”
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:57 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:46 pm
I have to believe they are pushing for a seed because it just doesn’t make sense (btw, this is not only a Loyola thing, many coaches do it). My question to the coaches would be, “if 5 or 11 got hurt in such meaningless minutes, would a seed matter?”
Maybe I’m not sure how it works, but is there a goal differential factor involved with seeding? If not - makes zero sense to me.

Back in 2016 Brown men’s coaches played Dylan Molloy (their best player & Tewaarton Winner) in the 4th quarter of a blow out playoff game and he broke his foot. This cost Brown a shot at the D1 championship.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I don’t see how Loyola can possibly get a seed
They are 1-2 against top 10 rpi teams. Best win is hop at 8.
They also hold a win over Florida, but they are 17.

Their wins against top teams are meaningfully below notre dame and uva, whose rpis are stronger.
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

laxdadpat wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:54 am It's an amazing accomplishment to be accepted into any of the Ivies. They have the lowest acceptance rates along with MIT, Duke, Stanford, etc. It's a given that any of those school will provide amazing job opportunities for their students that keep their grades up. Kudos to any young women going to an Ivy, you are a select few! I have seen several girls my daughters know over the last few years get into an Ivy and not get accepted into some of the big popular state schools, it does happen fairly frequently, but most go the Ivy route. I have no idea what the Ivies acceptance criteria is, but checking boxes is absolutely part of the equation, not groundbreaking news here.
I can confidently say that going to a good school, getting good grades and playing lacrosse will open a lot of doors for any young woman. I have seen it work for my daughter that choose wanting to play over getting into the best possible school she could. At first, I completely questioned myself about how lacrosse may be the reason she settled for a school that was only being considered because of lacrosse. Going to college and practicing every day for 4 years requires an immense amount of energy and dedication. It's hard to put in all the work and not be rewarded with playing time for any motivated person. The Gladwin theory is valid, yet contradictory to the idea of constantly competing (going to school) with the best student leads to success. The problem arises here because everyone's definition of success is different.
I can happily report that great grades, the ability to take criticism(from coaches and bosses in the future), not being a snowflake and being much happier getting to play as opposed to the celebration squad led to several big-name summer internships opportunities and a confident young lady that has set herself up for success. The bottom line is there are many paths to be happy and successful.
Excellent post and very well said!!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Brownlax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:59 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:35 am
Relax77 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:06 am
tothedraw wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:35 pm
lax410 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:33 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:32 am Williamsburg is glorious, as is the W&M campus. I agree 100% that this program, given the academic profile of the school, proximity to lax hotbeds, and the ability to give athletic $$ sets them up for success. Hope it happens.
The last time they went to the NCAA Tournament...2001

The last time they had a winning season...2011

Last time they had 2 or more consecutive years of .500 or better...2008-11(Christine Halfpenny)

William & Mary used to be a great program(under HOFer, Feffie Barnhill) and then they seemed to stop caring.
There are a number of other similar schools to W&M that I don’t understand why they aren’t terribly successful. The Patriot League schools (taking out the service academies and Loyola) come to mind in particular.
I think location of PL Schools (Northeast), and academic requirements hurts the league overall. There are only so many talented lacrosse players with great academics. Why would you pick Bucknell/Lehigh over Hopkins/Duke?
Agree with this regarding location. Why play games on a small campus in icy 30 degree rainy weather when you can go play in the warmer weather? Although Lehigh seems to have a top 5-10 goalie that no one has ever heard of. So some kids don’t mind.

Pretty sure most of them are fully funded.

YOU may have never heard of her, but I am very familiar with her. She was a HS AA, if memory serves me correctly. She was pretty highly recruited. Maybe you need to "tap in"? Just because these athletes don't play at the Elite level of D1, that doesn't mean they can't play the game. Remember there are levels in each division. How many of you knew who Molly Laliberty was before the end of last season? Jane Earley? Did you know who Dylan Rhatigan was when she was at Mercer? Unless you are a real Lacrosse wonk, you probably didn't know...but now you do.
Hailey Rhatigan
Thanks for the correction. I realized I made that mistake a day later and hadn't gone back to fix it.
scrantonlax

Post by scrantonlax »

Gail Wallach announced as new Head Coach at Furman.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

scrantonlax wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:27 am Gail Wallach announced as new Head Coach at Furman.

Furman clearly doesn’t care.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:44 pm
scrantonlax wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:27 am Gail Wallach announced as new Head Coach at Furman.

Care about what?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

glaxer24 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:01 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:44 pm

Care about what?
Women’s lacrosse.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Furman fired up their programs by hiring Richie Meade and Rachel. They even held a press conference at the final four. So much promise.

Here we are 10-12 years later with a cancelled men’s lacrosse program and Gail Wallach leading the women’s program. Yikes.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”