Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:42 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:13 pm There's always that rumor that Dan Chemotti is waiting for Dino to retire at Duke, but Brown would be really smart to kick the tires on him. Started his coaching career at Dartmouth.
Can’t imagine chemotti would leave Richmond for any Ivy program seriously but I i suppose doesn’t hurt to get a no. Same w Polley. They founded those programs remember. And have had success. You don’t leave that for anything but an elite opportunity

Andy Baxter could be interesting though..
The Ivy League is the 3rd best conference in the country, and Brown would be a higher profile job than Richmond, where you're always pretty much AQ or bust. UR has really supported that program, but I'd be surprised if Brown wouldn't commit more resources to that program than UR could. No doubt Chemotti has done a phenomenal job there, but UR is still a mid-major job. Brown isn't.

Same thing goes for Polley at BU.

Who knows. Maybe Cassese finally gets his upgrade from Lehigh.
WestcoastLaxer

Post by WestcoastLaxer »

Many of these schools recruit themselves, ie great educations, vibrant campus communities and career opportunities. Many of these schools also have amazing brand new sports facilities. So attracting quality student athletes does not seem like the issue.
At some point not winning more than 2 or 3 conference games (Brown State and others) per year becomes unacceptable. I am sure that there are many valid excuses but how many years do you give the HC? 6 yrs or 20yrs? HC's can make adjustments ie. Colgate (new creative coordinators) or continue to stick to a plan that has produced mediocre results year in and year out..
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Of course, Brown is an attractive destination, but it has to play in a conference with HPY (arguably the three most attractive destinations in the country) and Cornell with its legendary lax history.

And following Lars has to be a tough act.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:51 pm Crossposting from my Brown thread comment

I can guarantee a deep and quality pool of applicants: search committee letter heading:
Come to Brown! Do well here and you can win multiple Natties at Virginia!
Now this is funny.
coda

Post by coda »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:32 am Of course, Brown is an attractive destination, but it has to play in a conference with HPY (arguably the three most attractive destinations in the country) and Cornell with its legendary lax history.

not trying to be offensive, but it is a solid job... It is certainly not a destination job, there are very few of those. I am not sure is a better job, than Richmond if money is equal. You could argue Richmond has recruiting advantages over the A10. That is not the case at Brown. Sometimes being the biggest fish in a small pond is better.
lorin

Post by lorin »

coda wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:46 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:32 am Of course, Brown is an attractive destination, but it has to play in a conference with HPY (arguably the three most attractive destinations in the country) and Cornell with its legendary lax history.

not trying to be offensive, but it is a solid job... It is certainly not a destination job, there are very few of those. I am not sure is a better job, than Richmond if money is equal. You could argue Richmond has recruiting advantages over the A10. That is not the case at Brown. Sometimes being the biggest fish in a small pond is better.
Yeah it’s cheap you live in a tent on campus
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

Whats most important:
Attracting High Quality Student Athletes- ie. RECRUITING.

Starts and ends there. Who recruits the best and who will represent the program, hire the best coordinators and get the best players
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:26 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:52 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:14 am
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:09 am
10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:55 am Hens coming to the A-10 next year ?

Bonnies will have to deal with that additional competition.
While it makes sense I would be surprised if Delaware is in the A-10 next year
I think they're aiming for 2026
If they expand the NCAA tournament to 24 I could see this happening. When AQ is the only realistic hope of making the tournament, SJU and Richmond were close for at large consideration this year, bringing in Delaware makes winning the A-10 AQ that much more difficult. Would think Big East teams feel the same way about it.
They’re enjoy not going to out 1/3 of teams in the playoffs unless NCAA completely disappears. You’ll hear the same form others. Forget the target but it’s like 20-24% (I have 16-17% in my head for some reason) in proportion of postseason to programs. We have low 70s and for every add we lose a limdenwood, presby, Furman. So you really are just praying when you say you could see this happening.

Now would ncaa approve a for profit program to put on an NIT like tourney? Would colleges w liability go for it? For all these early season double headers you’d think a Corrigan sports who’s all inbred would try to get a money making NIT style tourney adopted for the next next 12-18 teams.
Didn’t suggest they would go to 24. I think it’s crazy not to as competitive as the teams btw 15-25 are these days. More May lacrosse please. Attendance is exploding. Cash in on it.
Why would a conference add an Uber competitive team without an expanded NCAA tourney?
last january, the nc$$, in response really to all the goings on with regard to athletes vs nc$$, the trajectory of $ coming in to conferences, losing court cases... proposed and approved a very wide ranging reform agenda.

notable are sport specific committees to make a lot of decisions without today's bureacracy (including scholly limits) at higher levels. also notable, a push for 25% participation for sports that sponsor over 200 teams.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/1/3/medi ... eport.aspx

the report is 48 pages, reference pps 15-16, 39-40, 44 and other pages. obviously, lax doesn't have 200 teams, but they will have their own committee, some decisions on sports' expansion by june. div 1 will have 76 teams next year, i think. they've officially had 16 teams not including playins since there were about 60 teams. 76 x 25% is 19. my own estimation is within a year or 2, we'll see 2-4 more at larges.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chemotti pulled out of the running for the Hopkins gig in 2020 and got an extension (and likely pay bump) out of it. I don't think anything has changed at either Richmond or Brown since then to suggest this is the job he'd leave for. I bet he stays where he is unless Duke comes calling. Richmond's got a good thing going — yes they are generally AQ or bust every year, but that's an AQ they are usually the favorites to win. Good school, good location, good job security...he's in a good spot. Again, unless The Big Job shows interest.

I think Brown is looking at hiring a high-end assistant (likely with Ivy experience at some point). I really don't think the number of current D1 head coaches who would be a smart hire and would also be interested in the job is very high. They've pretty much all been listed in this thread already. There are a couple guys who are looking for a status upgrade/higher-profile job and are seemingly up for every remotely intriguing opening. Cassese was one of them before he left for UVA.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:01 pm I think Brown is looking at hiring a high-end assistant (likely with Ivy experience at some point). I really don't think the number of current D1 head coaches who would be a smart hire and would also be interested in the job is very high. They've pretty much all been listed in this thread already. There are a couple guys who are looking for a status upgrade/higher-profile job and are seemingly up for every remotely intriguing opening. Cassese was one of them before he left for UVA.
Can Brown handle all the f bombs of a KC , he would be in DEI training every Monday morning... ;)
Army might want to give Georgalas some extra love?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Brown assets:
* Second best lacrosse facility behind only Yale
* Indoor practice facility is imminent
* Lacrosse is one of the few high priority sports at Brown and receives strong admin support
* Most flexible curriculum in the Ivies with zero core commitments. If you don't like foreign languages or science, you never have to take a class in those departments.
* Perceived as a fun and generally happy campus (has dealt with current protests better than peers)
* Thayer Street is a vibrant college hangout zone
* Stronger lacrosse tradition than Harvard or Dartmouth -- roughly equivalent to Penn; geographically more desirable than Cornell; lighter course load than Yale; Princeton... uh, I got nuthin'
* Supportive alumni network for lax contributions and career opportunities
coda

Post by coda »

Can Opener wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:26 pm

Brown assets:
* Lacrosse is one of the few high priority sports at Brown and receives strong admin support
* Most flexible curriculum in the Ivies with zero core commitments. If you don't like foreign languages or science, you never have to take a class in those departments.
* Perceived as a fun and generally happy campus (has dealt with current protests better than peers)
* Stronger lacrosse tradition than Harvard or Dartmouth -- roughly equivalent to Penn; geographically more desirable than Cornell; lighter course load than Yale; Princeton... uh, I got nuthin'
I cant speak on Admissions, which is bigger factor than most people would care to admit.. I am not saying Brown is not a step up from Richmond. It is. My point is Richmond is arguably the #1 job in the A10. Just my opinion (its subjective), Brown is middle of the pack job at best in the Ivy (Princeton #1 and Cornell #2). The path to success and a long tenure is easier at Richmond. I am coming more from the stand pt of the old joke. I dont need to out run the Bear (win a NC). I need to out run you (conference mates)
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:14 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:01 pm I think Brown is looking at hiring a high-end assistant (likely with Ivy experience at some point). I really don't think the number of current D1 head coaches who would be a smart hire and would also be interested in the job is very high. They've pretty much all been listed in this thread already. There are a couple guys who are looking for a status upgrade/higher-profile job and are seemingly up for every remotely intriguing opening. Cassese was one of them before he left for UVA.
Can Brown handle all the f bombs of a KC , he would be in DEI training every Monday morning... ;)
Army might want to give Georgalas some extra love?
It didn't prevent Princeton from hiring and keeping one of the f-bomb kings in Tierney.Of course, winning helps.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:42 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:13 pm There's always that rumor that Dan Chemotti is waiting for Dino to retire at Duke, but Brown would be really smart to kick the tires on him. Started his coaching career at Dartmouth.
Can’t imagine chemotti would leave Richmond for any Ivy program seriously but I i suppose doesn’t hurt to get a no. Same w Polley. They founded those programs remember. And have had success. You don’t leave that for anything but an elite opportunity

Andy Baxter could be interesting though..
The Ivy League is the 3rd best conference in the country, and Brown would be a higher profile job than Richmond, where you're always pretty much AQ or bust. UR has really supported that program, but I'd be surprised if Brown wouldn't commit more resources to that program than UR could. No doubt Chemotti has done a phenomenal job there, but UR is still a mid-major job. Brown isn't.

Same thing goes for Polley at BU.

Who knows. Maybe Cassese finally gets his upgrade from Lehigh.
Ill put a beer and a crab bomb or whatever nasty form of crab you like on Chemotti if he's offered. They dropped soccer, have a FBS champion level football program and endowment is fine. He's not going to a second tier, respectfully, IVY. Chemotti is building a legacy there unlike any others and he's getting into the playoffs more frequnetly than he would at Brown for the shot at maybe one at large? More downside than upside and I doubt they'd spend enough to get him to move. Chemotti can retire there already if he wants to. That's something.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:45 am
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:26 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:52 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:14 am
Laxbuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:09 am
10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:55 am Hens coming to the A-10 next year ?

Bonnies will have to deal with that additional competition.
While it makes sense I would be surprised if Delaware is in the A-10 next year
I think they're aiming for 2026
If they expand the NCAA tournament to 24 I could see this happening. When AQ is the only realistic hope of making the tournament, SJU and Richmond were close for at large consideration this year, bringing in Delaware makes winning the A-10 AQ that much more difficult. Would think Big East teams feel the same way about it.
They’re enjoy not going to out 1/3 of teams in the playoffs unless NCAA completely disappears. You’ll hear the same form others. Forget the target but it’s like 20-24% (I have 16-17% in my head for some reason) in proportion of postseason to programs. We have low 70s and for every add we lose a limdenwood, presby, Furman. So you really are just praying when you say you could see this happening.

Now would ncaa approve a for profit program to put on an NIT like tourney? Would colleges w liability go for it? For all these early season double headers you’d think a Corrigan sports who’s all inbred would try to get a money making NIT style tourney adopted for the next next 12-18 teams.
Didn’t suggest they would go to 24. I think it’s crazy not to as competitive as the teams btw 15-25 are these days. More May lacrosse please. Attendance is exploding. Cash in on it.
Why would a conference add an Uber competitive team without an expanded NCAA tourney?
last january, the nc$$, in response really to all the goings on with regard to athletes vs nc$$, the trajectory of $ coming in to conferences, losing court cases... proposed and approved a very wide ranging reform agenda.

notable are sport specific committees to make a lot of decisions without today's bureacracy (including scholly limits) at higher levels. also notable, a push for 25% participation for sports that sponsor over 200 teams.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/1/3/medi ... eport.aspx

the report is 48 pages, reference pps 15-16, 39-40, 44 and other pages. obviously, lax doesn't have 200 teams, but they will have their own committee, some decisions on sports' expansion by june. div 1 will have 76 teams next year, i think. they've officially had 16 teams not including playins since there were about 60 teams. 76 x 25% is 19. my own estimation is within a year or 2, we'll see 2-4 more at larges.
Then we will decline and be wildly overrepresented. Lindenwood. Half the maac is in trouble. NEC schools have issues as well. jax.

But I can wait two years to see if we get more plyaoff spots.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:01 pm Chemotti pulled out of the running for the Hopkins gig in 2020 and got an extension (and likely pay bump) out of it. I don't think anything has changed at either Richmond or Brown since then to suggest this is the job he'd leave for. I bet he stays where he is unless Duke comes calling. Richmond's got a good thing going — yes they are generally AQ or bust every year, but that's an AQ they are usually the favorites to win. Good school, good location, good job security...he's in a good spot. Again, unless The Big Job shows interest.

I think Brown is looking at hiring a high-end assistant (likely with Ivy experience at some point). I really don't think the number of current D1 head coaches who would be a smart hire and would also be interested in the job is very high. They've pretty much all been listed in this thread already. There are a couple guys who are looking for a status upgrade/higher-profile job and are seemingly up for every remotely intriguing opening. Cassese was one of them before he left for UVA.
Still thinking Baxter
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Can Opener wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:26 pm

Brown assets:
In my day it was the best party school in the ivys.
See Martin, Malcolm
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:46 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:01 pm Chemotti pulled out of the running for the Hopkins gig in 2020 and got an extension (and likely pay bump) out of it. I don't think anything has changed at either Richmond or Brown since then to suggest this is the job he'd leave for. I bet he stays where he is unless Duke comes calling. Richmond's got a good thing going — yes they are generally AQ or bust every year, but that's an AQ they are usually the favorites to win. Good school, good location, good job security...he's in a good spot. Again, unless The Big Job shows interest.

Still thinking Baxter
His tenure at Fairfield hasn't been awful but it's not screaming out "this is a guy who needs a bigger job." They're 27-33 since he took over and finish between 4th and 6th in the CAA each year — about exactly what they were doing in the three years before he was hired. This is a program that is capable of CAA titles and NCAA tourney appearances...they haven't sniffed that. He might be interested in Brown but I dunno if it'll be mutual.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:45 pm

Still thinking Baxter
His tenure at Fairfield hasn't been awful but it's not screaming out "this is a guy who needs a bigger job." They're 27-33 since he took over and finish between 4th and 6th in the CAA each year — about exactly what they were doing in the three years before he was hired. This is a program that is capable of CAA titles and NCAA tourney appearances...they haven't sniffed that. He might be interested in Brown but I dunno if it'll be mutual.
What was Tillman’s record at Harvard? 20-19 with IL top classes to boot. Fairfield was falling sort forward towers left that place in shambles if you talk to anyone invoked.
See Martin, Malcolm
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Still thinking Baxter
Maybe Danehy from Mercer.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”