Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lilax wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:48 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:39 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:55 pm I would hate for this to be the case, since he is well-liked and, all-together, has had a nice run. However, could Bucknell's Frank Fedorjaka be next? The Bison play their last game of the season Friday night at Navy.
Take this back. Bucknell has a very, very young team. I bet they give him at least one more year.
Are you arguing with yourself?
You old enough to have heard of a movie called Ski School

https://youtu.be/MXmYZJq6SLY?si=NoEO1YDFAsS328o9
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SkipPass wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:16 am When does OSU move on from Nick Myers? Another losing season and losing to Michigan twice. Not a good look.
He and Breschi may go same time which is ironic given their relationship.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JerrysWorld wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:08 am
SkipPass wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:16 am When does OSU move on from Nick Myers? Another losing season and losing to Michigan twice. Not a good look.
I’m sure it doesn’t help that OSU is hosting the Big Ten Tournament but are not playing in it.
Our HC flat out quit when we hosted the EcACs and weren't in it in 2013 where OSU happened to win and get a high seed (3?)
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxinmay wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:15 am Will they make a coaching change?:
- Ohio State
- UNC
- Marquette
- Brown
- Hobart
- Bucknell

Already Open
- Merrimack

Will they retire
- Danowski
- Corrigan

And who will possibly replace if those openings occur
Stake in the ground in Hobart-the decision here to me reflects whether the admin and board are going to get serious about running a fortress and resolute institution that will outlast my life. Things are a changing in the region and to the colleges and for a small school that has lacrosse embedded in its existence and culture as much as anyone. Some will say what’s one more year but everyone knows your first loss is your best loss in finance or gambling or life.
See Martin, Malcolm
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

What's the small college environment looking like across NY? Seems like Hobart will be just fine given their endowment and continuing to turn a "profit" (according to their 990). My guess is over the next decade a lot of these smaller schools will not be so lucky....Already starting to happen in other places...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NNELax wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 pm What's the small college environment looking like across NY? Seems like Hobart will be just fine given their endowment and continuing to turn a "profit" (according to their 990). My guess is over the next decade a lot of these smaller schools will not be so lucky....Already starting to happen in other places...
Falling apart. Hartwick has been in the ropes. Elmira hurting. Couple like Sarah Lawrence closed. Same as MA.

Trust me our opex has nearly a $20mm structural deficit as we shrink enrollment and our endowment barley grew between 2000 and last year and we had the forth largest endowment decline in the country in 23. Too many tenured profs who need to go hanging in there for a school 25% smaller than its 25yr avf. Jut got $100mm from two alums one of which has to be motorist stingy ABigail Johnson of fidelity dough but still well below $350mm which I peg as the min to survive (throwing off 5%-$15-$20mm for operating budget each year)
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm
Laxnation wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 am Mike Daley is undoubtedly the worst coach in division one Lacrosse. He has very limited knowledge of the game and relies on his assistant coaches. It is a complete fluke that he became a division one coach in the first place and for the good of Brown lacrosse, he needs to go!

Nick Meyers is a complete jerk and he ruins the experience for his players. Very few of his former players likes him or respects him.
WOW! Tell us how you really feel!! Daly won a natty or 2 while at Tufts, I guess he was just lucky? Can’t speak to OSU situation, but I’m sure the AD has an idea.
Brown ranks last or near last with the worst shooting percentage in D1. They rank near the bottom with 6 on 6 goals, man up offense and assists. They have terrible ball movement and run the most predictable offense I've ever seen. I don't care what Daly did at a d3 school because coaching D1 requires a much bigger emphasis on skill, personal, recruiting and IQ. The guy never played lacrosse and it shows in his coaching or lack of if. Maybe he could hide how bad of a coach he is, if he had an OC that knew what he was doing.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:24 pm
NNELax wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 pm What's the small college environment looking like across NY? Seems like Hobart will be just fine given their endowment and continuing to turn a "profit" (according to their 990). My guess is over the next decade a lot of these smaller schools will not be so lucky....Already starting to happen in other places...
Falling apart. Hartwick has been in the ropes. Elmira hurting. Couple like Sarah Lawrence closed. Same as MA.

Trust me our opex has nearly a $20mm structural deficit as we shrink enrollment and our endowment barley grew between 2000 and last year and we had the forth largest endowment decline in the country in 23. Too many tenured profs who need to go hanging in there for a school 25% smaller than its 25yr avf. Jut got $100mm from two alums one of which has to be motorist stingy ABigail Johnson of fidelity dough but still well below $350mm which I peg as the min to survive (throwing off 5%-$15-$20mm for operating budget each year)
Sarah Lawrence closed?
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

I honestly don't see why Hobart doesn't bite the bullet and go back down to d3. I understand their reasonings for transitioning up (it made perfect sense at the time), but the NCAA hogtied them and effectively prevented them from competing at the d1 level for over 3 decades, and I'm not sure I see them establishing the kind of foundation at this late date that lets them regularly compete in the NCAAs.

If they dropped down to d3, they would be competing in one of the two most elite conferences in the country when it comes to lacrosse. They would instantly be competitive on the national stage (after the transition period required to move down), they would have a dozen teams in easy driving distance, many of them regular top 10 and top 20 programs. I know there was outrage and protest when they announced the possibility of such a move several years ago, but I am not sure why.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I originally brought up Bucknell's Frank Fedorjaka. I think they give him another chance. Not only is his relationship with the university strong, but he had a super young team this year. All top ten scorers will return in 2025. And eight were either freshmen or sophomores. Two of the defenders, as well as the goalie return, too. Also, they were competitive in several games. Including an OT loss to Navy to end the season.

However, if the Bison miss the Patriot League Tournament for the third consecutive time in 2025, there may well be a change.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 pm

Sarah Lawrence closed?
I mistyped Brian fart it was the one in Albany that he a good long history. Little bit of basekball. Now I can’t recall the name .

Edit it was St Rose not Sarah Lawrence. Rose - Sarah I identify words by gender clearly and am a mysoginist but I blame that on my finishing at a college where the vast majority of alums including the brainwashed women just call it “Hobart” and most snicker or dismissively look at you if you ask about the whole William Msith greater than half of our campus.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:21 pm

I honestly don't see why Hobart doesn't bite the bullet and go back down to d3. I understand their reasonings for transitioning up (it made perfect sense at the time), but the NCAA hogtied them and effectively prevented them from competing at the d1 level for over 3 decades, and I'm not sure I see them establishing the kind of foundation at this late date that lets them regularly compete in the NCAAs.

If they dropped down to d3, they would be competing in one of the two most elite conferences in the country when it comes to lacrosse. They would instantly be competitive on the national stage (after the transition period required to move down), they would have a dozen teams in easy driving distance, many of them regular top 10 and top 20 programs. I know there was outrage and protest when they announced the possibility of such a move several years ago, but I am not sure why.
This isn’t taking a shot but the majority of alums believe in competing. Believe in fighting and punching above their weight. It’s such a fascinating incongruity between the famous culture which was boarding school fall back for kids who didn’t get into Bowdoin or Bucknell or such or could hut wanted to do an 8 ball and bottle of wild turkey on their parents credit card 4 days a week. The teams have been different mostly. Like an iteration of Atlanta finest Ludacris lyric “I want a lady in the streets and a freak the sheets” male version of that just shy of American Psycho. (And maybe we had a couple of those in the 80s and 90s… I can’t make a dope bar out of it but a gentleman in public and a psychopath on the
Field.

It’s just been that way for a long time but the titles and success didnt make that cukture so why have we lost it as we’ve struggled a bit in D1? Makes no sense.
See Martin, Malcolm
Finster

Post by Finster »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:24 pm I originally brought up Bucknell's Frank Fedorjaka. I think they give him another chance. Not only is his relationship with the university strong, but he had a super young team this year. All top ten scorers will return in 2025. And eight were either freshmen or sophomores. Two of the defenders, as well as the goalie return, too. Also, they were competitive in several games. Including an OT loss to Navy to end the season.

However, if the Bison miss the Patriot League Tournament for the third consecutive time in 2025, there may well be a change.

What happened with Dutch Furlong? He was their leading returning scorer, but didn’t play after first few games?
lilax

Post by lilax »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:24 pm I originally brought up Bucknell's Frank Fedorjaka. I think they give him another chance. Not only is his relationship with the university strong, but he had a super young team this year. All top ten scorers will return in 2025. And eight were either freshmen or sophomores. Two of the defenders, as well as the goalie return, too. Also, they were competitive in several games. Including an OT loss to Navy to end the season.

Have been told by a good source that Fed is staying, but is making Assistant Coaching changes.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

lilax wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Have been told by a good source that Fed is staying, but is making Assistant Coaching changes.
Yep! A good source told me that would probably happen, too!
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

Laxnation wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 am Mike Daley is undoubtedly the worst coach in division one Lacrosse. He has very limited knowledge of the game and relies on his assistant coaches. It is a complete fluke that he became a division one coach in the first place and for the good of Brown lacrosse, he needs to go!

Nick Meyers is a complete jerk and he ruins the experience for his players. Very few of his former players likes him or respects him.

Corrigan is not retiring anytime soon. He is excellent at fundraising and is having too much fun.

I think it’s time for Duke and NC to hire a new coaches. They can do better!

Is this a burner account? Or a bot? If not, would love to hear detailed reasoning why this is your opinion. It is an opinion shared by about generally nobody who have actual knowledge of the various situations, so would love to hear the reasoning
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

Corrigan is not retiring anytime soon. He is excellent at fundraising and is having too much fun.

I think it’s time for Duke and NC to hire a new coaches. They can do better!

Is this a burner account? Or a bot? If not, would love to hear detailed reasoning why this is your opinion. These are opinions shared by about generally nobody who have actual knowledge of the various situations (maybe outside of UNC), so would love to hear the reasoning. Also, no one who actually is familiar with the sport would say that about Daly. He may be having a bad year, but his career is overall decently successful
ToeDipper78

Post by ToeDipper78 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:39 pm

This isn’t taking a shot but the majority of alums believe in competing. Believe in fighting and punching above their weight. It’s such a fascinating incongruity between the famous culture which was boarding school fall back for kids who didn’t get into Bowdoin or Bucknell or such or could hut wanted to do an 8 ball and bottle of wild turkey on their parents credit card 4 days a week. The teams have been different mostly. Like an iteration of Atlanta finest Ludacris lyric “I want a lady in the streets and a freak the sheets” male version of that just shy of American Psycho. (And maybe we had a couple of those in the 80s and 90s… I can’t make a dope bar out of it but a gentleman in public and a psychopath on the
Field.

It’s just been that way for a long time but the titles and success didnt make that cukture so why have we lost it as we’ve struggled a bit in D1? Makes no sense.
Think Hobart finally gets more scholarship slots next year? Viewing it as a very big deal to finally be on equal footing as the competition when it comes to dangling offers to recruits. I don't know what it really changes but to them its a key to D1 success.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ToeDipper78 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:24 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:39 pm

Field.

Think Hobart finally gets more scholarship slots next year? Viewing it as a very big deal to finally be on equal footing as the competition when it comes to dangling offers to recruits. I don't know what it really changes but to them its a key to D1 success.
That Division I/Division III athletic scholarship rule never made any sense. Thank goodness Hopkins got the protection of a grandfather clause.

Hopefully, Hobart can eventually offer the full 12.6.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Laxnation wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:59 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

WOW! Tell us how you really feel!! Daly won a natty or 2 while at Tufts, I guess he was just lucky? Can’t speak to OSU situation, but I’m sure the AD has an idea.
Brown ranks last or near last with the worst shooting percentage in D1. They rank near the bottom with 6 on 6 goals, man up offense and assists. They have terrible ball movement and run the most predictable offense I've ever seen. I don't care what Daly did at a d3 school because coaching D1 requires a much bigger emphasis on skill, personal, recruiting and IQ. The guy never played lacrosse and it shows in his coaching or lack of if. Maybe he could hide how bad of a coach he is, if he had an OC that knew what he was doing.
I think you could make the argument coaching the D3 level requires you to be a better tactician because you are doing it with less talent? I watch some of these D1 games and it seems like a few coaches are rolling the ball out and letting their future PLL stars run the show. Obviously, I am being hyperbolic on both accounts. But you understand the point. Saying he is the worst coach in D1 because it requires more than D3 is just elitism at is worst. You realize that Sean Kirwan played AND coached with him at Tufts? If Daly is so bad, how was Kirwan developed?

Bottom line: Brown’s had a couple down years and Daly is deservedly in the crosshairs as the HC. But arguing they are down because he can’t coach his way out of a brown paper bag is just wrong on many levels. By your logic, Milliman at Hopkins is clueless (he played D3 and coached D2). Fire him.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”