Northwestern at Maryland, 4/6 6 p.m.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
jff97

Northwestern at Maryland, 4/6 6 p.m.

Post by jff97 »

Making a thread for this may backfire if it's a blowout but here we go anyway. Lot on the line in this one at the greatest lacrosse facility ever built. #1 vs. #2, even if I'm not sure Maryland is the #2 team in the country. A chance for both teams to keep building momentum in the latter parts of the season. Maryland coming off a so-so week but got it done at Michigan. Northwestern looked like last year's team against Rutgers. I'm not sure Northwestern is as good as they were last year, but if I had to pick one team to win the title in this crazy season, they'd be it. Maryland is better on defense than last year but the offense has a lot of the same question marks.

Two other interesting storylines in this game:
1. Izzy Scane has never played at Maryland. The only time Northwestern has played in College Park in her collegiate career was in 2022 when she was out for the season.
2. Maryland has never lost a conference home game with Cathy Reese as a head coach. Northwestern has a pretty good shot of ending that streak.

If I had to make a prediction for this one, I'd say Northwestern wins by a couple. Feels similar to last year where Maryland can hang with Northwestern for a half or so but doesn't have enough firepower in the end. But if Sterling is hot and Maryland gets in a groove early, who knows. Anyone else have thoughts on this one?
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Northwestern at Maryland, 4/6 6 p.m.

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I am afraid that Maryland is in for a pounding. I will get a rabbit's foot, toss salt over my shoulder, go to church somewhere and light a candle, help an old lady across the street, and buy the old fella in front of me his bagel if it'll help Maryland win.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

TFF! NO ONE is as funny as Seacoaster when he talks about his hatred for Northwestern--or anyone about any team, for that matter. Just gold.

DMac

Post by DMac »

What time ya thinkin' about going to the bagel shop, Sc? I don't go too nuts, just a sesame with scallion and bacon cream cheese (a little on the heavy side with the cream cheese).
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:13 pm What time ya thinkin' about going to the bagel shop, Sc? I don't go too nuts, just a sesame with scallion and bacon cream cheese (a little on the heavy side with the cream cheese).
Whatever you want, man. I am usually there around 7:45. They know me, and have the order going as I wander up to the counter. Couple of weeks ago a woman -- elderly, and I mean 80 or so and infirm, DMac -- is rummaging desperately in her little purse and I give the eye to Josh, who runs the franchise, that I'll get it if he lets her go with her food. She gets her stuff, thanks Josh, and then he and I argue over who's paying -- me or him. I can be as sh*tty as the next guy.
But small kindnesses are what saves us from the brutalism of contemporary life. I can afford to pay for some person's modest breakfast. So can most of us.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice....can't say I'm at all surprised.
njbill

Post by njbill »

jff97 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:46 pm Lot on the line in this one at the greatest lacrosse facility ever built.
Nice! Well played. :lol:
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:33 pm I am afraid that Maryland is in for a pounding. I will get a rabbit's foot, toss salt over my shoulder, go to church somewhere and light a candle, help an old lady across the street, and buy the old fella in front of me his bagel if it'll help Maryland win.
NU will win it
Maryland just don't have it
NU by 6 ish

Haiku
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:27 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:33 pm I am afraid that Maryland is in for a pounding. I will get a rabbit's foot, toss salt over my shoulder, go to church somewhere and light a candle, help an old lady across the street, and buy the old fella in front of me his bagel if it'll help Maryland win.
NU will win it
Maryland just don't have it
NU by 6 ish

Haiku
Love it lol.

Maryland Defense
key to a Terp victory
Otherwise they lose

Meh…. I’m out of practice. Terps need to keep NU under 10 to have a shot. Not sure they can do it but pulling for them.

NU -2.5
jff97

Post by jff97 »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:57 pm
jff97 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:46 pm Lot on the line in this one at the greatest lacrosse facility ever built.
Nice! Well played. :lol:
Sometimes I can't tell if the snark will come through because this is a message board, but glad someone picked up on it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:33 pm I am afraid that Maryland is in for a pounding.
Here we have a perfect example of the Reverse Jinx Method. One puts it out into the cosmos that one team will win hoping the opposite will happen.

I hope you're right in this instance. I abhor losing to Maryland--above all other teams.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

At this point the games for all the flawed contenders are to figure out how to maximize strengths and cover weaknesses for the tournament. UMD has the greatest potential for improvement but the great potential just hasn’t fired on all cylinders.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Haiku

Kind of a cool exercise to compose one of these.

a Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five, traditionally evoking images of the natural world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:47 am At this point the games for all the flawed contenders are to figure out how to maximize strengths and cover weaknesses for the tournament. UMD has the greatest potential for improvement but the great potential just hasn’t fired on all cylinders.
Most the MD offensive players have been there for 5 years with the same mediocre results(with the exception of the one year Rory was there). What is up with Libby May this year? I'm thinking after 5 years, they are what they are. Not sure how they have the greatest potential for improvement unless Cathy is going to start playing some of the younger girls.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

hmmm wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:24 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:47 am At this point the games for all the flawed contenders are to figure out how to maximize strengths and cover weaknesses for the tournament. UMD has the greatest potential for improvement but the great potential just hasn’t fired on all cylinders.
Most the MD offensive players have been there for 5 years with the same mediocre results(with the exception of the one year Rory was there). What is up with Libby May this year? I'm thinking after 5 years, they are what they are. Not sure how they have the greatest potential for improvement unless Cathy is going to start playing some of the younger girls.
My nemesis here;
Terp offense stuck in neutral,
Game, only to lose?
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

That's why I didn't understand why anyone would be excited for those players to come back for their extra year: they haven't improved that much over the years they've been at Maryland, and they're just keeping the younger players from being able to develop.

I mean, if Maryland's offense isn't that great this year with the grad students, what are they even going to be like next year when they lose all that experience and have to replace it with players who have barely seen the field during actual games?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:18 am
My nemesis here;
Terp offense stuck in neutral,
Game, only to lose?
Nice!!
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

I think Northwestern's style of flopping (Taylor) and diving (Scane & some of the offense) is going to knock them out on Maryland's hard field. Plus home field advantage, NW better prepare for a Maryland crowd.

I'm not a Maryland fan, I haven't been watching their games much this season but my call is the score will be close, low scoring and we'll see NW bruised up by the end of it. Hmm lets say 11-10 NW wins
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

I get smarter every day on this board.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Most of the MD offensive players have been there for 5 years with the same mediocre results (with the exception of the one year Rory was there). I'm thinking after 5 years, they are what they are. Not sure how they have the greatest potential for improvement unless Cathy is going to start playing some of the younger girls.
Excellent points.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”