Best Examples Of DI Coaches Who Do More With Less?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Best Examples Of DI Coaches Who Do More With Less?

Post by gymman1031 »

Coaches that get very few, if any, blue-chip recruits but yet are successful and regularly battle talented to much more talented programs to the end. And sometimes even win.
houndace1

Re: Best Examples Of DI Coaches Who Do More With Less?

Post by houndace1 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:46 pm Coaches that get very few, if any, blue-chip recruits but yet are successful and regularly battle talented to much more talented programs to the end. And sometimes even win.
A few come to mind for me

Nadelen at Towson
Torpey at High Point
Cannella at UMass
Alberici at Army
Toomey at Loyola
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
coda

Post by coda »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:38 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:46 pm Coaches that get very few, if any, blue-chip recruits but yet are successful and regularly battle talented to much more talented programs to the end. And sometimes even win.

Nadelen at Towson
Torpey at High Point
Cannella at UMass
Alberici at Army
Toomey at Loyola
I would add Richmond and BU. Undecided on Army. They get a lot of scholarships that other programs do not have. Dont have the mass appeal like Uva, but I feel like they are positioned above mid-majors.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

coda wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

Nadelen at Towson
Torpey at High Point
Cannella at UMass
Alberici at Army
Toomey at Loyola
I would add Richmond and BU. Undecided on Army. They get a lot of scholarships that other programs do not have. Dont have the mass appeal like Uva, but I feel like they are positioned above mid-majors.
Breschi at Carolina. Oh wait, that's a textbook example of doing less with more. Never mind.
Finish Strong
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Nadelen/Towson in 2016-2017 remains the best recent example of this. It's been pretty tough since then, however.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Mason Poli has done a good job building up the Quinnipiac program. Gradual improvement up through this year's undefeated start; has now beat Brown two years in a row. Getting some nice institutional support from the U's powers that be.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:50 pm Nadelen/Towson in 2016-2017 remains the best recent example of this. It's been pretty tough since then, however.
Well, he did have a good 15’ class, to include ‘Big Cat’.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
palaxoff

Post by palaxoff »

Corrado of Villanova. Not a fully funded program, less then stellar facilities yet he gets the recruits, consistently in the top 20 and regularly has wins against a few top 10 teams.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Toomey has a nice advantage of Van Arsdale at asst HC.

Going to also vote for Alberici at Army. I know what the other poster said about scholarships (which they don’t have but I know what he meant) but along with that comes a lot more that mid majors don’t even come close to. Plus if it were just the scholarship aspect, USNA & USAFA should be better.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

palaxoff wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:22 pm Corrado of Villanova. Not a fully funded program, less then stellar facilities yet he gets the recruits, consistently in the top 20 and regularly has wins against a few top 10 teams.
Absolutely correct; without any doubt, one of the best if not the best to do more with less.

Not fully funded. Mandated small roster. Very strict academic requirements. Yet, defining wins against legacy powerhouse programs like Maryland and Syracuse, and notable programs like Duke, Denver, Penn, Yale, etc.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

palaxoff wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:22 pm Corrado of Villanova. Not a fully funded program, less then stellar facilities yet he gets the recruits, consistently in the top 20 and regularly has wins against a few top 10 teams.
This is my sneaky underrated answer

No doubt because of Simon Conor…
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:29 pm Toomey has a nice advantage of Van Arsdale at asst HC.

Going to also vote for Alberici at Army. I know what the other poster said about scholarships (which they don’t have but I know what he meant) but along with that comes a lot more that mid majors don’t even come close to. Plus if it were just the scholarship aspect, USNA & USAFA should be better.
You sure MVA is an advantage? I wasn’t well received suggesting maybe there’s another answer for their issues.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Nadelen at Towson
Torpey at High Point
Cannella at UMass
Alberici at Army
Toomey at Loyola

Not so sure about BU. They enroll a lot of Long Island kids so have a well establish presence to recruit from.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:54 pm

Good call with Corrado of Villanova! What a shame they aren't a fully-funded program! They could be much better!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:40 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:54 pm

Good call with Corrado of Villanova! What a shame they aren't a fully-funded program! They could be much better!
I've heard Villanova does have athletic scholarships. 8 or 9 is the number I've read. I'm not sure how accurate that is. Obviously having the full 12.6 would help. Hobart should be up to 9 scholarships for the '25 class and the full 12.6 for '26. For this season we had only 3. St. Joes Coach Wray said being a fully funded program was the thing that changed the programs fortunes. Does anyone know how many schools aren't fully funded?
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:50 pm Nadelen/Towson in 2016-2017 remains the best recent example of this. It's been pretty tough since then, however.
19’ they were legit. Lost on a fluky play to MD at home in the playoffs. Since 20’ they have struggled but this years team has shown to be better in areas that beat yourself.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Late to the thread, but I'm impressed with what Delaware has been doing the past few years.

Villanova and SJU would be my other votes.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Delaware should be a perennial top 15-20 program every year, same with their women's program. Great location, great stadium, great campus, strong enough academics. I put them in the underachieve category.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

livelovelax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:16 am Delaware should be a perennial top 15-20 program every year, same with their women's program. Great location, great stadium, great campus, strong enough academics. I put them in the underachieve category.
Ehhh. The question was: "Coaches that get very few, if any, blue-chip recruits but yet are successful and regularly battle talented to much more talented programs to the end. And sometimes even win." Compare recruiting classes of Delaware vs UPenn, Gtown, and Duke. On paper, Duke and Penn shouldn't be one goal games. And, they definitely shouldn't have beaten G-town in NCAA's.

If we were basing it off of campus and location, High Point should be considered a perennial power by your metrics. Amazing campus and athletic fields, "strong enough" academics.

I'm curious, what would your top 15 (or top 20) be if it was solely based on location, stadium, campus, and academics?
coda

Post by coda »

mdk01 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:31 pm

Nadelen at Towson
Torpey at High Point
Cannella at UMass
Alberici at Army
Toomey at Loyola

Not so sure about BU. They enroll a lot of Long Island kids so have a well establish presence to recruit from.
that is basically every school in the D1. Lots of Long island and Maryland kids being signed. If we take schools that sign Long Island kids off the list, we are left with Denver.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”