NU at UNC 3/25

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: NU at UNC 3/25

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:26 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:54 pm It gets harder and harder to watch--even for me. I have to think the coaching staff encourages it for the goals she regularly converts on free position. What a contrast to tough-as-nails Hailey Rhatigan from last years edition of the Wildcats.
I am certain it is coached. Totally on brand for that staff.
Okay--I can buy that. The rest seems to make sense with that as a foundation.

What about the refs not calling flops? Any theories on that?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

uncfan1013 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:58 pm They already won so why score another to make it a 6 point game. Our run at the end was nice and I hope we start off the BC game like that.
Why? Because UNC has done that to many teams over the past several years and when the score was much worse than 15-10. Don’t whine about it now when it happens to them.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Today’s game broadcast was an example to me of announcers treating wlax differently than mlax. When NU got the free position with 10 secs left, Sheehan commented that she was sure they would pull the ball out and end the game. When NU scored, she commented something along the lines of when you play a big rival you want to make a statement. She should have called it what it was, poor sportsmanship. If this had happened in a men’s game, Quint, Carc and Anish would be appalled and rip into the team that did it. Why won’t Sheehan do the same? Especially considering NU has a history of doing this? We have a lot of wlax personalities calling for equal coverage to men, such as TC and CN, which they absolutely should. But, they have the ability to make their feelings known on things like this that aren’t good for the game. We never hear wlax commentators say anything negatively. Why is that?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:05 pm Today’s game broadcast was an example to me of announcers treating wlax differently than mlax. When NU got the free position with 10 secs left, Sheehan commented that she was sure they would pull the ball out and end the game. When NU scored, she commented something along the lines of when you play a big rival you want to make a statement. She should have called it what it was, poor sportsmanship. If this had happened in a men’s game, Quint, Carc and Anish would be appalled and rip into the team that did it. Why won’t Sheehan do the same? Especially considering NU has a history of doing this? We have a lot of wlax personalities calling for equal coverage to men, such as TC and CN, which they absolutely should. But, they have the ability to make their feelings known on things like this that aren’t good for the game. We never hear wlax commentators say anything negatively. Why is that?
Not true. SSB criticised Wurtzburger for that terrible FP shot. The only shot she took. which is crazy.
She mentioned it was. a poor shot esp when UNC desperately needed a goal. She went on to further criticise her since she is a veteran player and should know better AND further said she needed to change levels to make a better shot.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:06 am I am hopeful that NU's No. 2 is healthy.

She was. Played the whole game. Had a goal and 4 assists

Northwestern needs players like Amonte

4 goals, (2-3 FPS) 1 GB, 1 CT

...and Taylor

3 goals 1 assist 6 DC's

to show up. Just to make this thread more lively, I think Northwestern will come, enjoy the nice grass and good (or at least temperate) weather in North Carolina and thump the daylights out of UNC. 15-10.
But for Amonte's FU goal at the end, you would have nailed the final score, too. Seastradamus over here.

How many would like to sign a petition to have Seacoaster fill in for Spidey during his (sabbatical? vacation?)? 😉
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Justalaxdad wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:58 pm They already won so why score another to make it a 6 point game. Our run at the end was nice and I hope we start off the BC game like that.
Why? Because UNC has done that to many teams over the past several years and when the score was much worse than 15-10. Don’t whine about it now when it happens to them.
Agreed. This is the way among some of these teams. KAH is well-known for putting the hurt on any opponent that NU may see in future. They're all grown ups.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree as well. I thought Scane's 15th was the right play. I didn't see the 16th but Lord knows, anytime you've got an opportunity to practice FPSs take it and put it in fer chrissakes!!
Was nice to have a pretty good wlax game on on a Monday afternoon when the 5' 10" ex laxer Alicia is on at the
watering hole. Jus' sayin'. Had a few fellas who never watch wlax (game wouldn't have even been on had we not
been there) a bit blown away by the game....promote, promote, promote, sell, sell, sell ya know!!! Wlax is such
a pretty game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:37 am
Agreed. This is the way among some of these teams. KAH is well-known for putting the hurt on any opponent that NU may see in future. They're all grown ups.
Case in point for the Powder Blue Crew:

OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:46 am Agree as well. I thought Scane's 15th was the right play. I didn't see the 16th but Lord knows, anytime you've got an opportunity to practice FPSs take it and put it in fer chrissakes!!
Was nice to have a pretty good wlax game on on a Monday afternoon when the 5' 10" ex laxer Alicia is on at the
watering hole. Jus' sayin'. Had a few fellas who never watch wlax (game wouldn't have even been on had we not
been there) a bit blown away by the game....promote, promote, promote, sell, sell, sell ya know!!! Wlax is such
a pretty game.
Another primo matchup tomorrow afternoon at 4pm on ESPNU. Loyola at Syracuse from the Dome.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Right up top, I acknowledge that I'm riffing off a previous post without quote/tagging because this is a sentiment that often gets voiced in the mainstream. I am addressing that general sentiment, not a specific poster. They just happened to be the one who inspired these thoughts.

For my part, I was glad to see Dylan Amonte rip her FU goal at the end. She took a lot of abuse out on the field during the course of the game. She'll have plenty of bumps and bruises to show for it. Meaghan Tyrrell recently shared on The Meg Show about a particular game with Boston College where she said she was tattooed after it was over with all the physical abuse she took.

This was not a pleasant game. Izzy Scane's gestures on her last goal spoke volumes of the bad blood that had come to a boil by game's end during yesterday's grudge match.

I'm glad when players get a little FU revenge at the end of a game like that. It obviously has the desired affect of aggravating the opponent and their fan base. BC's Belle Smith at the end of the Loyola quarterfinal in 2022. Hailey Rhatigan at the end of the '23 final versus Boston College. And Dylan Amonte last night.

Players are human. Sometimes they want to get the last word in for themselves or their teammates or both by sticking a goal with less than a minute left. I don't care who does it and I don't care what their rationale is for doing it--whether one of my favorite teams does it, or it's done to one of my favorite teams.

I'm sure every year, every team out there scores goals in less-than-a-minute-left garbage time. Does it make a difference if they were FU goals? Does it make a difference if the team just wanted the bench players/frosh to get on the scoresheet? What constitutes poor sportsmanship in that instance exactly?

Again--as I say--I don't care either way. You'll never read me complaining about it. It's between the players/coaches and only adds to the drama of the rematch, should one ever occur. As former Virginia Tech goaltender Angie Benson often says, our sport is too soft. She references instances like complaining about FU goals as evidence. I am in full agreement with her. Plus--if a team doesn't like FU goals, or garbage time goals, then they should do everything in their power to stop them. Stuffing an FU goal attempt I imagine would be immensely satisfying, and one thing, at least, for the defeated team to hang their hat on in the aftermath of a tough loss. You don't think Stella Harrison or the defenders around her would have occasion to jeer back at Amonte had Harrison made the save last night? How about Shea Dolce had she stymied Rhatigan? Or Lauren Spence on Belle Smith?
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:36 am Another primo matchup tomorrow afternoon at 4pm on ESPNU. Loyola at Syracuse from the Dome.
Has no effect on playing conditions but it does for those fans going in and coming out of the Dome. Predicted mid 60s and sunny for both coming and going. I won't be at the watering hole for this one. Bit of a scary game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:19 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:14 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:09 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:02 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:59 pm Don’t have any inside knowledge and am really just exercising my inherent poster-right to speculate, but if Ingrilli was healthy, wouldn’t she be playing? I thought there used to be a 50% rule, that is, if you played more than 50% of the year, you couldn’t red shirt even if you got injured. Is that still the rule?
Ita awful to watch. Great player….but scane needs to take her aside and say “great players don’t flop. Tewaarton players certainly don’t”

I agree, if she were healthy I assume she'd be playing. No reason to believe that Nelson is injured. I don't think there's any set rule on how long you can play before injury to get the year back. It's totally at the discretion of NCAA.
Taylor falls a lot...I feel like im watching Stony Brook... :roll:
I was shocked that she stayed on her feet the first half. There's been at least 3 times this half that she's gone down and rolled around with no call against the defense. I ask again, why isn't that a card for flopping? I give the refs credit for not giving her a FP for the phantom foul but why no card for flopping? And again, she's a fantastic player. She doesn't need to do that.

They just said the averages 2 FP goals a game. I guess that's why she does it.
It’s awful to watch. Scane needs to take her aside and say “stop. Great players don’t flop”.
I've been communicating with an official who no longer refs. The lack of enforcement on the flopping rule is to be totally and completely laid at the feet of the referees and the organization that runs and assigns which refs to which games, etc. They don't want to do anything about it and they're largely not qualified and/or trained to do anything about it. And obviously the NCAA doesn't care. They're just glad they no longer have a powerful pissed-off corporate executive nipping at their heels. What do they care about a little harmless flopping.

It's obviously a team-trying-to-work-an-advantage issue. Taylor's the berries on free position. If the team can factor in a couple FP goals per game because she falls down easily, and there's no danger of playing short-handed because of it...

I've gone back and forth with how I feel about her flopping and how it looks. But I've come to the conclusion that if her coach is fine with her doing it, then what do I care. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of her game--and she's got Big Time Game. Tough-as-nails Hailey Rhatigan is much more my style if we're building the perfect beast. But Madison Taylor is a very special player, so to quote Phil Collins,"I don't care anymore!"
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:59 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:36 am Another primo matchup tomorrow afternoon at 4pm on ESPNU. Loyola at Syracuse from the Dome.
Has no effect on playing conditions but it does for those fans going in and coming out of the Dome. Predicted mid 60s and sunny for both coming and going. I won't be at the watering hole for this one. Bit of a scary game.
One of the few opponents where I'm all kinds of on board waving an Orange pendant.

Barkeep! Order me up another bottle of that vintage 2021, please.

"Hair o' the dog that bit me."

forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:19 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:14 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:09 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:02 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:59 pm Don’t have any inside knowledge and am really just exercising my inherent poster-right to speculate, but if Ingrilli was healthy, wouldn’t she be playing? I thought there used to be a 50% rule, that is, if you played more than 50% of the year, you couldn’t red shirt even if you got injured. Is that still the rule?
Ita awful to watch. Great player….but scane needs to take her aside and say “great players don’t flop. Tewaarton players certainly don’t”

I agree, if she were healthy I assume she'd be playing. No reason to believe that Nelson is injured. I don't think there's any set rule on how long you can play before injury to get the year back. It's totally at the discretion of NCAA.
Taylor falls a lot...I feel like im watching Stony Brook... :roll:
I was shocked that she stayed on her feet the first half. There's been at least 3 times this half that she's gone down and rolled around with no call against the defense. I ask again, why isn't that a card for flopping? I give the refs credit for not giving her a FP for the phantom foul but why no card for flopping? And again, she's a fantastic player. She doesn't need to do that.

They just said the averages 2 FP goals a game. I guess that's why she does it.
It’s awful to watch. Scane needs to take her aside and say “stop. Great players don’t flop”.
Sure Scane can say something to her, but more surprised the head coach supports it. I didn't follow women's lacrosse when she was a player and never saw her play, but can't help to think she wasn't that kind of player. 4 time All American and winner of a couple defensive player of the year awards. Doesn't she seem like she would have been a tough, gritty player who would have had no respect for that type of player in her day? Seems she models her team in that tough, gritty style and no one else stands out as a flopper. "The buck stops here" and if the coach told her to stop, I am sure she would.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:37 am

While the outcome of this game was never in doubt, the late rally by the home team did seem to stir a few demons from the '22 semi-final. With a 23-6 draw advantage, NU struggled to put this one away. Credit UNC who kept playing hard. I don't care about the last goal, but I would say it's more of a ... than it was an !
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

hmmm wrote the following about NU scoring the final goal in yesterday's game : "Especially considering NU has a history of doing this?"
REALLY?

Give this Thread "the history of doing this." Keep in mind the word History. Show that History.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:27 pm hmmm wrote the following about NU scoring the final goal in yesterday's game : "Especially considering NU has a history of doing this?"
REALLY?

Give this Thread "the history of doing this." Keep in mind the word History. Show that History.
Well Larry, I actually listed the most recent example. Rhatigan scored with no time remaining just last year in the NCAA Championship game to make the game 18-6. That recent enough history for you?
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:40 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:27 pm hmmm wrote the following about NU scoring the final goal in yesterday's game : "Especially considering NU has a history of doing this?"
REALLY?

Well Larry, I actually listed the most recent example. Rhatigan scored with no time remaining just last year in the NCAA Championship game to make the game 18-6. That recent enough history for you?
Respectfully--naming one incident does not a history make.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

REALLY?

In addition to the Championship game, the following occurred just within the last 1.5 seasons. I think I've proven my point, but maybe you don't consider this to be "History" so you can do the rest of the research yourself.

Just this year:
Scored with 30 seconds left against Albany to make the score 25-8(Scored 3 goals in last 4.5 mins)
Scored with 1:17 left against Central Michigan to make the score 27-3(It was 19-3 after 3 qtrs so scored 8 more in 4th including 4 goals in last 5.5 mins)
Scored with 1:08 left against Marquette to make the score 21-3 (Scored 3 goals in last 4.5 mins)

Last Year:
Scored with 47 seconds left against Vandy to make the score 24-7
Scored with 1 second left against Youngstown St to make score 24-3
Last edited by hmmm on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:48 pm
hmmm wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:40 pm
REALLY?

Respectfully--naming one incident does not a history make.
Yes, I realized some of the folks here wouldn't be satisfied with one example and either are not willing to do the easy search to see I'm correct or just would rather play dumb to it.

I hope 7 examples in the last 1.5 seasons fits the definition of history.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”