WLAX Bracketology

D1 Womens Lacrosse
hmmm

Re: WLAX Bracketology

Post by hmmm »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:00 am
Carolinagrad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:17 pm
hmmm wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:05 pm Hmm. In the history of the NCAA tournament. Duke this year at 31 RPI and PSU last year at 32 are the lowest to ever make the tournament. I’ve been saying for a month. Don’t discredit that factor. The Ole Girl network saved Missy last year and tried to save Kimel this year. It was written.
Well said !!!
Does anyone have the roster of Selection Committee members?
I believe it is:
Bonnie Rosen, Temple University.
Cathy Reese, University of Maryland.
Jessica Grasso, Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
Lindsey Thomas, University of Florida.
Samantha Eustace, Mercer University.
Suzette McQueen, Kent State University
gbswingames

Post by gbswingames »

hmmm wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:05 pm Hmm. In the history of the NCAA tournament. Duke this year at 31 RPI and PSU last year at 32 are the lowest to ever make the tournament. I’ve been saying for a month. Don’t discredit that factor. The Ole Girl network saved Missy last year and tried to save Kimel this year. It was written.
Save job? Or farewell tour?
DMac

Post by DMac »

hmmm wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:59 am
Madlax59 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:57 am
DMac wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:36 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:41 am Here is the bracket:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/lacrosse-wome ... ule-scores

A lot of good games.
Awful day for Cuse to be playing. Graduation day, begins at 0930 hrs, ends at about 1230 hrs, game time at 1400 hrs, lot of seniors on this team. Could you have a bigger distraction?
I thought in past Cuse couldn’t host due to graduation in dome? How are they doing that this year ?
Last year they played the games outside at the soccer stadium
They are again this year, mlaxers in the Dome at 1930 hrs. Have watched many a first round upsets (see Bryant) in the Dome on graduation day...it's just not good for Cuse to playing on this day.

For those who might not know, graduation ceremony is held in the Dome, hence the wlaxers are at the soccer stadium.
Predicted forecast is 60 degrees, 10% chance of rain.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

flushlax77 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 am Duke getting in is a farce. They looked like a talented JV team last time out against BC. They need to get Loyola to OT in order to save face at all. If they get running clocked, the committee has explaining to do.

This comes down to the committee bringing in personal relationships from outside. It’s the only thing that makes any sense. Not sure if that’s part of the selection criteria?

Navy should have been in. The committee uses RPI in some cases (Fairfield getting in with the 50+ ranked strength of schedule) and ignores it other cases (Duke getting in with a top 10 ranked SOS and one good win). 6 ACC teams get in.

There needs to be a better way to do this. If I’m navy, I’m dropping Duke next year and trying to get as many top 20 ranked RPI teams as possible in order to get the golden win. Forget your record, you will be .500 with the Patriot League cupcakes. Add NW, Cuse, Maryland, Virginia, etc.
The committee get a grade of F-. Duke getting in is an absolute joke. The Navy head to head win over Duke should have gotten Navy in. I also think that a very talented Notre Dame team that has won 10 of their last 11 is a dangerous opponent for 2 seed Boston College. I think Maryland got a very favorable seed. That was a really bad loss at home to Rutgers. Penn beat them at Maryland. The Terps are ranked 11th but receive a 4 seed and home field?
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Carolinagrad

Post by Carolinagrad »

suffolk wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:19 am
flushlax77 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 am Duke getting in is a farce. They looked like a talented JV team last time out against BC. They need to get Loyola to OT in order to save face at all. If they get running clocked, the committee has explaining to do.

This comes down to the committee bringing in personal relationships from outside. It’s the only thing that makes any sense. Not sure if that’s part of the selection criteria?

Navy should have been in. The committee uses RPI in some cases (Fairfield getting in with the 50+ ranked strength of schedule) and ignores it other cases (Duke getting in with a top 10 ranked SOS and one good win). 6 ACC teams get in.

There needs to be a better way to do this. If I’m navy, I’m dropping Duke next year and trying to get as many top 20 ranked RPI teams as possible in order to get the golden win. Forget your record, you will be .500 with the Patriot League cupcakes. Add NW, Cuse, Maryland, Virginia, etc.
The committee get a grade of F-. Duke getting in is an absolute joke. The Navy head to head win over Duke should have gotten Navy in. I also think that a very talented Notre Dame team that has won 10 of their last 11 is a dangerous opponent for 2 seed Boston College. I think Maryland got a very favorable seed. That was a really bad loss at home to Rutgers. Penn beat them at Maryland. The Terps are ranked 11th but receive a 4 seed and home field?
“For Duke, their win over UVA was what put them in,” Eustace said. “It’s always really tough when you get to the last couple of teams, and they don’t play each other or have common opponents.”

Umm, does someone want to inform Eustace that Navy did play Duke and Navy was victorious. I mean her saying this shows the gross incompetence of the committee. The men's selection committee nailed it. The women's selection committee failed miserably. Bad losses should also be part of the equation. Duke lost by 12 to Notre Dame and 14 to BC.

I also agree Maryland got a generous seed. UNC at Florida is a tough first round match-up.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

"'For Duke, their win over UVA was what put them in,' Eustace said."

And Duke's nine goal drubbing by a team in its second season, and head-to-head loss to Navy, another bubble team, simply didn't count. It's actually a little disgraceful.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

suffolk wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:19 am I think Maryland got a very favorable seed. That was a really bad loss at home to Rutgers. Penn beat them at Maryland. The Terps are ranked 11th but receive a 4 seed and home field?
Totally.

At the same time, I'm not sure how much of a home field advantage exists for Maryland right now given their recent performances there.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ultravisitor wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:45 am
suffolk wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:19 am I think Maryland got a very favorable seed. That was a really bad loss at home to Rutgers. Penn beat them at Maryland. The Terps are ranked 11th but receive a 4 seed and home field?
Totally.

At the same time, I'm not sure how much of a home field advantage exists for Maryland right now given their recent performances there.
Agreed, but I would have still given the Terps a road trip based on their performances this year. CNR was on the committee.....
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

New Polls out.

MD ranked 13th and seeded 4th. Cathy is on the committee so....

Duke not in top 25. 4 ranked teams(Navy, Colorado, Harvard, USC) left out of tournament in favor of Duke.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

(deleted)
Last edited by glaxer24 on Mon May 06, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

hmmm wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:49 am New Polls out.

MD ranked 13th and seeded 4th. Cathy is on the committee so....

Duke not in top 25. 4 ranked teams(Navy, Colorado, Harvard, USC) left out of tournament in favor of Duke.
Maryland limps into the NCAA’s with a brutal loss to unranked Rutgers for their 5th loss of the year - and they get seeded 4th - Wow!!

Duke getting a spot is mind blowing as well.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

The committee is far from unbiased here and I am not a fan.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

hmmm wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:14 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:00 am
Carolinagrad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:17 pm
Well said !!!
Does anyone have the roster of Selection Committee members?
I believe it is:
Bonnie Rosen, Temple University.
Cathy Reese, University of Maryland.
Jessica Grasso, Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
Lindsey Thomas, University of Florida.
Samantha Eustace, Mercer University.
Suzette McQueen, Kent State University
People are taking the angle that this is an Ole Girl network saving Missy and Kimel. Maybe? I have no knowledge or background on relationships here. But any thoughts if it is the other way? Navy seems the team left out, any bad blood or burnt bridges with the Navy coach? Wasn't she at Maryland before?
harflax

Post by harflax »

What an embarrassment for the sport of women's lacrosse to have a team (Maryland) ranked 13th, yet seeded 4th. Can you imagine the outcry if football or men's or women's basketball playoffs were seeded this way?
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

harflax wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:11 pm What an embarrassment for the sport of women's lacrosse to have a team (Maryland) ranked 13th, yet seeded 4th. Can you imagine the outcry if football or men's or women's basketball playoffs were seeded this way?
I think it's definitely embarrassing for Maryland--is there ANYONE who honestly thinks they are the fourth-best team in the country with the record they hold and their performance the past few weeks?--but I don't think it's fair to say it's embarrassing for the sport as a whole.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

forthelaxofit wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:44 pm
People are taking the angle that this is an Ole Girl network saving Missy and Kimel. Maybe? I have no knowledge or background on relationships here. But any thoughts if it is the other way? Navy seems the team left out, any bad blood or burnt bridges with the Navy coach? Wasn't she at Maryland before?
I assume that you are "new" to wlax so I will give you the benefit of doubt, BUT you are talking about Cindy Timchal, a hall of fame coach and the all time leader in D1 wlax wins. I doubt ANYONE has malice towards Cindy. Her former players are now the head coaches at 4 of the top 5 seeds (NU, BC, Maryland & UVA)

https://navysports.com/sports/womens-la ... imchal/410
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

suffolk wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:19 am

This might be the 3rd year in a row that ND has traveled to BC for the NCAA. Would be nice to see some variety from the committee. ND is a good team but BC is not a favorable match-up for them. The game between MI and ND is a toss up. ND may never face BC. Wonder how much Cathy Reese being part of the selection committee impacted MD favorable seeding?
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

I am not a fan of MD but you guys are being over the top about them being seeded 4th. Their final RPI ranking was 5th and SOS was close to the same. Their record against top 20 RPI teams was as good as anyone except NW.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”