2024 HS season

HS Girls Lacrosse
njbill

Re: 2024 HS season

Post by njbill »

Iron Peak sports in Hillsborough, New Jersey.

https://ironpeakse.com/
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:19 am Iron Peak sports in Hillsborough, New Jersey.

https://ironpeakse.com/
I assume it will be played on one of the outside fields there?

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

Don’t know.
njbill

Post by njbill »

McDonogh 5 Darien 4. Very exciting game. The officials let them play as though it was a college game.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:56 pm McDonogh 5 Darien 4. Very exciting game. The officials let them play as though it was a college game.
Wow! Was it played outside? Thanks!

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yup. VERY windy.
njbill

Post by njbill »

A few more details.

I got there with about 5 minutes to go in the first half. Score was 1–1. McD scored two goals to go up 3-1. Then Darien scored a disputed goal. Sounded like the refs had blown a whistle. Everybody stopped except the ball carrier who continued on to goal, shot, and scored. After the three officials conferred, the goal was counted. Never got an explanation for what happened.

So 3-2 McD at the half.

The Eagles scored in the middle of the third quarter to retake their two goal lead. But then the Blue Wave tallied twice, and the third quarter ended tied at 4.

The fourth quarter was very tense, back-and-forth, back-and-forth. Each team had multiple possessions. Darien got the ball back with about 2 1/2 minutes to go, but then turned the ball over right in front of their defensive goal circle. A McDonogh player scooped the ball up and stuffed it in. That proved to be the game winner.

First time I have seen Kate Levy play. She is definitely a player.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:50 pm A few more details.

I got there with about 5 minutes to go in the first half. Score was 1–1. McD scored two goals to go up 3-1. Then Darien scored a disputed goal. Sounded like the refs had blown a whistle. Everybody stopped except the ball carrier who continued on to goal, shot, and scored. After the three officials conferred, the goal was counted. Never got an explanation for what happened.

So 3-2 McD at the half.

The Eagles scored in the middle of the third quarter to retake their two goal lead. But then the Blue Wave tallied twice, and the third quarter ended tied at 4.

The fourth quarter was very tense, back-and-forth, back-and-forth. Each team had multiple possessions. Darien got the ball back with about 2 1/2 minutes to go, but then turned the ball over right in front of their defensive goal circle. A McDonogh player scooped the ball up and stuffed it in. That proved to be the game winner.

First time I have seen Kate Levy play. She is definitely a player.
Jenny's daughter I assume?

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes. Committed to UNC.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:52 pm Yes. Committed to UNC.
WOW. Her son is on UNC as well. Nice.

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

Let me finish your sentence.

. . . break on tuition. :)
njbill

Post by njbill »

Link to the DAF Media full game video of Saturday's McDonogh vs. Darien game (neutral site in NJ).

Not up to their usual quality (I assume because they were off-site and the wind was really blowing). Still, a decent video.

No explanation given for the controversial Darien goal at the end of the half (0:05). Possible guess: refs blew the whistle for a foul outside the critical scoring area, which would be a play-on and no stoppage of play or the clock. The Darien player very smartly kept playing and tossed the ball into the net while virtually all the other players stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_7Wf3VOcQ
njbill

Post by njbill »

Last night St. Anthony's beat Darien (at Darien) 5-4 in 3OT.

Scoreless 1st Q. SA had three two goal leads. Darien tied it up with 9:30 to go in the 4th. Winning goal was at 0:33 of the third OT.

No shot clock.

Calabria had 3 for the Friars.

DAF video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pmj9eZ6Qis
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

2024 Gains For Brains Tournament

Saturday, April 27 2024 Gains for Brains Tournament held at Cold Spring Harbor High School (N.Y.)

Greenwich Academy (Conn.) vs St. Dominic’s (N.Y.) | 10:00am UPPER FIELD Greenwich Academy wins by more than a few.[/color]

Wilton (Conn.) vs West Islip (N.Y.) | 11:00am LOWER FIELD Wilton takes this one, don't think West Islip is strong enough to hang this year.[/color]

Nyack (N.Y.) vs Eastport South Manor (N.Y.) | 12:00pm UPPER FIELD Nyack is absolutely a force this year. They take this one.

New Canaan (Conn.) vs Ward Melville (N.Y.) | 1:00pm LOWER FIELD New Canaan by 5 or 6. Too strong.[/color]

Sacred Heart (N.Y.) vs Ridgewood (N.J.) | 2:00pm UPPER FIELD This is a tossup. Sacred Heart takes it, more battle-tested.
[/color]
St. Anthony’s (N.Y.) vs Summit (N.J.) | 3:00pm LOWER FIELD St Anthony's takes it. I know Summit is strong, but not enough to take it this year.

Massapequa (N.Y.) vs Suffern (N.Y.) | 4:00pm UPPER FIELD Massapequa by 2 or 3.

Oak Knoll School (N.J.) vs Garden City (N.Y.) | 5:00pm LOWER FIELD This is going to be very close. I think Oak Knoll wins a tight one.

Darien (Conn.) vs Manhasset (N.Y.) | 6:00pm UPPER FIELD Darien wins but it will be close, Manhasset nearly knocked off GC on Saturday Evening.

Cold Spring Harbor (N.Y.) vs William Floyd (N.Y.) | 7:00pm LOWER FIELD I think CSH takes this but it will be very close. William Floyd is the wild-card and has the best player on the field in this game. First time in this tournament. Kayla Gilmore is the real deal! Should be an interesting nightcap.

Predictions anyone? Mine are above. I won't be able to attend to but hopefully somebody will be able to provide color.
Joe
totc

Post by totc »

Winding back a couple of days ....

Anyone notice that the CIAC mandates that a game only have a maximum of two overtime periods? Yep, New Canaan and Darien finished in a 5-5 tie after some wonderful and tense lacrosse. The game was leveled in the last ten seconds of regulation. Overtime had some tense possessions and good chances. The players were visibly upset that the game was ended after double-OT, tied.

(It could be worse; this could be Massachusetts, where they didn't break ties for the longest time ...)
totc

Post by totc »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:34 pm 2024 Gains For Brains Tournament

Saturday, April 27 2024 Gains for Brains Tournament held at Cold Spring Harbor High School (N.Y.)

Greenwich Academy (Conn.) vs St. Dominic’s (N.Y.) | 10:00am UPPER FIELD Greenwich Academy wins by more than a few.[/color]

Wilton (Conn.) vs West Islip (N.Y.) | 11:00am LOWER FIELD Wilton takes this one, don't think West Islip is strong enough to hang this year.[/color]

Nyack (N.Y.) vs Eastport South Manor (N.Y.) | 12:00pm UPPER FIELD Nyack is absolutely a force this year. They take this one.

New Canaan (Conn.) vs Ward Melville (N.Y.) | 1:00pm LOWER FIELD New Canaan by 5 or 6. Too strong.[/color]

Sacred Heart (N.Y.) vs Ridgewood (N.J.) | 2:00pm UPPER FIELD This is a tossup. Sacred Heart takes it, more battle-tested.
[/color]
St. Anthony’s (N.Y.) vs Summit (N.J.) | 3:00pm LOWER FIELD St Anthony's takes it. I know Summit is strong, but not enough to take it this year.

Massapequa (N.Y.) vs Suffern (N.Y.) | 4:00pm UPPER FIELD Massapequa by 2 or 3.

Oak Knoll School (N.J.) vs Garden City (N.Y.) | 5:00pm LOWER FIELD This is going to be very close. I think Oak Knoll wins a tight one.

Darien (Conn.) vs Manhasset (N.Y.) | 6:00pm UPPER FIELD Darien wins but it will be close, Manhasset nearly knocked off GC on Saturday Evening.

Cold Spring Harbor (N.Y.) vs William Floyd (N.Y.) | 7:00pm LOWER FIELD I think CSH takes this but it will be very close. William Floyd is the wild-card and has the best player on the field in this game. First time in this tournament. Kayla Gilmore is the real deal! Should be an interesting nightcap.

Predictions anyone? Mine are above. I won't be able to attend to but hopefully somebody will be able to provide color.
Joe
Thanks for the capsules. St. Anthony is an extremely strong side with a goalkeeper who is noticeably better than most others I have seen. New Canaan is very "runnerish" up front -- sometimes you want them to pull back but they do balance risk and reward well.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Per nj.com, St. A’s 9 Summit 2. Not surprised by the result, but I am surprised that the Hilltoppers were held to only two goals. When has that ever happened?

Garden City 12 Oak Knoll 8. Not surprised by that result either. I’d seen Morristown take apart Oak Knoll last week, which was before OKS beat Summit. Is this the first time Oak Knoll has returned to the GfB since that fateful day in 2016?

The Ridgewood vs. SH (LI) result should be reported on nj.com at some point tonight.

Hopefully someone else can add additional scores.

Unfortunately, for the Garden State, NJ‘s OOS results this year are not good at all. We have been whacked and whacked and whacked.
njbill

Post by njbill »

totc wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:21 am Winding back a couple of days ....

Anyone notice that the CIAC mandates that a game only have a maximum of two overtime periods? Yep, New Canaan and Darien finished in a 5-5 tie after some wonderful and tense lacrosse. The game was leveled in the last ten seconds of regulation. Overtime had some tense possessions and good chances. The players were visibly upset that the game was ended after double-OT, tied.

(It could be worse; this could be Massachusetts, where they didn't break ties for the longest time ...)
Wasn’t aware of that. How archaic.

But then, you know, those dainty delicate little girls can only play so long before they get all tuckered out. You simply can’t make them play on and on and on. It will stunt their growth or do something else nefarious.

The wizards who ran the NJ TOC actually had a similar rule on the books for the TOC finals. I think it was a maximum of two overtimes as well. Off the top of my head, I think only two TOC finals went to overtime and both, fortunately, were resolved before the “kiss your sister” rule had to be made to apply.

As to Darien and New Canaan, I suspect they will have two more chances to meet this year, in the Fairfield County finals and then in the state finals.
ertrader

Post by ertrader »

I was bouncing between games so I dont know exact scores but:

Sacred Heart LI beat Ridgewood in 3OT
ESM beat Nyack by a couple goals (big upset I believe?)
Suffern beat Massapequa by a bunch
Darien beat Manhasset by quite a bit - Manhasset dealing with injuries
New Canaan beat Ward Melville not particularly close
Wilton over West Islip by 3
njbill

Post by njbill »

According to nj.com, Sacred Heart Long Island beat Ridgewood 7–6 in three overtimes.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”