2024 HS season

HS Girls Lacrosse
cltlax

Re: 2024 HS season

Post by cltlax »

ProudPapa wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:03 pm
AroundTheWorld wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:14 pm

The IL list is a joke. I believe Darien lost 18 starters from last year's team.

18 starters? No wonder they went undefeated.
Easy to score when you start the game with six extra players on the field...
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

Bayport beats American Heritage 4-1
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

4-1? Is that a typo? If not that is the lowest scoring game I’ve ever heard of. Was there a shot clock?
njbill

Post by njbill »

SoCal wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:56 pm 4-1? Is that a typo? If not that is the lowest scoring game I’ve ever heard of. Was there a shot clock?
The score appears to be correct.

Got me thinking. I can't recall a lower scoring game either. I was at the last HS game (in 2019) between Choma and Lamparter which Mt. Sinai won 5-3. E. Tyrrell and Jenny Markey were on that team as well. In checking that result I see ESM had a 2-1 (!) game that year. Yikes!

https://www.laxnumbers.com/team_info.php?y=2019&t=22471

The game I saw was very well played. As the score suggests, a tight defensive struggle. Well worth the drive waaaay out onto the eastern end of the Island.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Down goes McDonogh.
AroundTheWorld

Post by AroundTheWorld »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:56 pm Down goes McDonogh.
And? Any insight? Episcopal Academy is legit. Does their league play with a shot clock yet?
njbill

Post by njbill »

EA is one of the best teams in SE Pa. In Jan. 2023 they won the national indoor at Spooky Nook. This past summer they lost in the playoffs of the Connecticut post season high school tourney to New Canaan.

Haven't seen them in a regular season game since 2022. Back then they had an excellent goalie (a 2025) who is committed to BC.

This year they have beaten Notre Dame Prep and John Carroll, both of Maryland's IAAM league. They also beat Penn Charter and Conestoga, two very good SE Pa. teams.

Not sure if EA's league uses a shot clock. The IAAM still does, right? Don't know if a shot clock was used in the EA v. McD game.

I was at the Good Counsel (Md.) vs. Penn Charter game last weekend. They had a shot clock but (I think) the person who was running it had difficulties so they turned it off for portions of the game.

I see that McD beat EA 9-8 last year at McD so today's (what's with these HS games on Sundays?) result doesn't seem unusual.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:02 pm EA is one of the best teams in SE Pa. In Jan. 2023 they won the national indoor at Spooky Nook. This past summer they lost in the playoffs of the Connecticut post season high school tourney to New Canaan.

Haven't seen them in a regular season game since 2022. Back then they had an excellent goalie (a 2025) who is committed to BC.

This year they have beaten Notre Dame Prep and John Carroll, both of Maryland's IAAM league. They also beat Penn Charter and Conestoga, two very good SE Pa. teams.

Not sure if EA's league uses a shot clock. The IAAM still does, right? Don't know if a shot clock was used in the EA v. McD game.

I was at the Good Counsel (Md.) vs. Penn Charter game last weekend. They had a shot clock but (I think) the person who was running it had difficulties so they turned it off for portions of the game.

I see that McD beat EA 9-8 last year at McD so today's (what's with these HS games on Sundays?) result doesn't seem unusual.
;)
njbill

Post by njbill »

Article on the Episcopal McDonogh game.

https://phillylacrosse.com/2024/les-goa ... school-md/
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

SoCal wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:56 pm 4-1? Is that a typo? If not that is the lowest scoring game I’ve ever heard of. Was there a shot clock?
Not a typo, no shot clock. Bayport is known for playing deliberately on offense. They also play a low pressure zone on D. Tough to measure and rank teams nationally when some play with shot clocks and others don't.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Some Early Season LI Scores

St Anthony's 12 Wantagh 6 Final (3/26/24). St Anthony's is loaded this season and gets a visit from Victor next week.

Garden City 5 Radnor(PA) (3/23/24) Don't know much about Radnor this season but traditionally a strong public school program on the main line.

BBP 4 American Heritage Delray 1 (FL) (3/21/24) Dominant defensive performance from BBP! American Heritage had beaten Eastport South-Manor 11-3 the night prior. Love the fact they came all the way up in late March to take on two of Suffolk County's top teams.

Garden City 7 BBP 6 (3/27/24) Game was played at Farmingdale State last night. Nice win for GC!

Sacred Heart 6 St Dominic 2 (3/27/24) Has St Dominic improved? I know that former Northwestern Wildcat Christina Esposito is now coaching them up.

Cold Spring Harbor 15 Farmingdale 4 (3/27/24) Total domination from a still young CSH squad.

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

Thanks Joe. Very interesting early season results up on the Island.

I saw BBP at the Spooky Nook indoor tournament. They looked good, but not world beaters. St. Anthony’s won the indoor this year, beating St. Pauls in the finals. Didn’t see St. Anthony’s, but did see St. Pauls, which looked to be quite strong.

I miss the days when I used to be able to get up onto the Island to watch games. Great lacrosse up there (said Captain Obvious).

I had hoped to be able to get up to the Gains for Brains this year, but a conflict has developed and I won’t be able to make it. Really disappointed as the slate looks fantastic. Hopefully you will be there and be able to give some reports, or at least the results.

I watched Sacred Heart of Greenwich CT beat Penn Charter yesterday. Didn’t have a roster, but Sacred Heart has a couple of really good players. Don’t know their names. Very strong team.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:31 am Thanks Joe. Very interesting early season results up on the Island.

I saw BBP at the Spooky Nook indoor tournament. They looked good, but not world beaters. St. Anthony’s won the indoor this year, beating St. Pauls in the finals. Didn’t see St. Anthony’s, but did see St. Pauls, which looked to be quite strong.

I miss the days when I used to be able to get up onto the Island to watch games. Great lacrosse up there (said Captain Obvious).

I had hoped to be able to get up to the Gains for Brains this year, but a conflict has developed and I won’t be able to make it. Really disappointed as the slate looks fantastic. Hopefully you will be there and be able to give some reports, or at least the results.

I watched Sacred Heart of Greenwich CT beat Penn Charter yesterday. Didn’t have a roster, but Sacred Heart has a couple of really good players. Don’t know their names. Very strong team.
Sacred Heart of Greenwich is a burgeoning powerhouse. To a lesser extent, Greenwich Academy is very strong as well.

Joe
njbill

Post by njbill »

Sacred Heart (Greenwich) is coming down to play Oak Knoll next Saturday. Having now seen them, I really wish I could make it to that game, but unfortunately I have another game I have to cover that day (times conflict). Would really like to see SH again.

Just looked up their schedule. Upcoming games: Stone Ridge, Geo. Visitation, Lawrenceville, Agnes Irwin, Chatham, Darien, and Greenwich Acad. Good stuff.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 pm Sacred Heart (Greenwich) is coming down to play Oak Knoll next Saturday. Having now seen them, I really wish I could make it to that game, but unfortunately I have another game I have to cover that day (times conflict). Would really like to see SH again.

Just looked up their schedule. Upcoming games: Stone Ridge, Geo. Visitation, Lawrenceville, Agnes Irwin, Chatham, Darien, and Greenwich Acad. Good stuff.
Ally Messinger coaching SH?? Like old times for you Bill, seeing an old friend from North Jersey?
njbill

Post by njbill »

She’s not the coach there anymore.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Episcopal takes down NJ no. 1 Summit 10-4. I expected the Churchmen to win but thought the game would be closer.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:50 pm Episcopal takes down NJ no. 1 Summit 10-4. I expected the Churchmen to win but thought the game would be closer.
I believe they are #2 in the country now...they are typically top 10, but are legit top 5 this year. The media has a hard time giving a #1 ranking to a non-LI or non-MD team
njbill

Post by njbill »

Darien 9 St. Paul's of Maryland 7.

Edit to add link to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAggkiX ... wg&index=1

As always, the DAF production is tip top.

SP had two three goal leads in the first half, but the Blue Wave came back to tie the game in the 3rd Q and take the lead. Very impressive win for Darien in their first game of the season (this was SP's 12th game).

McDonogh is playing Darien next weekend in Central Jersey. I'm gonna try to make it to the game.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:37 pm Darien 9 St. Paul's of Maryland 7.

Edit to add link to the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAggkiX ... wg&index=1

As always, the DAF production is tip top.

SP had two three goal leads in the first half, but the Blue Wave came back to tie the game in the 3rd Q and take the lead. Very impressive win for Darien in their first game of the season (this was SP's 12th game).

McDonogh is playing Darien next weekend in Central Jersey. I'm gonna try to make it to the game.
Where is that game being played?

Joe

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”