ohmilax34

Re: Week Four - 2024

Post by ohmilax34 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:27 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:31 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:14 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 pm My record is 2-2. Am I back in this thing? Can I make a playoff run? 28 points for a big win. I just looked who I face off against in the next few weeks. Not a favorable schedule for me, so I'm thinking I need to do some early draft prep.
Every time he checks a kid this season which just started (1-1, lost yest but got his first goal in two rebounds, own a teammate then his first which stick off Gb into goalies body, while taking baseball hacks but got it again on the Fraser and dumped it in-new team walks off like he scores more than the entire Thompson clan and it ain’t no thing but the nets was he took a blasting setting a pick and just tricked but fine and his teammate was free to shoot from 6 yards out in full extension motion sweeping across the top-event the coaches loved that)

You all will enjoy his banter more than mine.
I don't know. Have you considered a career in play-by-play?
Wouldn’t work, I don’t like kids that aren’t my own!

But I can probably write a book better than Catcher in the Rye. Key difference is mine would be closer to the Henry Miller version if you get to know me. Or even some letters to the editor from an old publication related to someone named Guccione.

Joking, when I coached Jrs other rec team at first I didn’t know how to deal with the back talk and rat behavior of kids not my own. At first my visceral reaction was to make them run until they puked. By the end of the first season I was ready to fight opposing teams parents in the exurbs/sticks who were a-holes to my kids. Even the one I’m sure is autistic or something and once got checked on the wrist and audited his arm was on fire running around with the glove off on sideline while I promised him it wasn’t and had to use half my water bottle on his stupid arm to help him feel better.

But as play by play, im more color commentator!

But let’s not get distracted from the whipping my boy has coming for you. He wins with grace though. His idiot father? Grace is situational. ;)
I'm probably going to be coming to you for advice. This will be my first spring REALLY coaching young kids, including my son.
Happy to share, my family rolls by knowledge is to be shared not hoarded in order to get ahead information asymmetry (anachronistic in this world where we’ve broke all social walls down even the important ones via social media).

Quick hits:

1. The hardest thing is to balance focus in your son. I paid him too little attention as his coach IMO - he’s gonna read this too for the record so you know it’s accurate from my view.
2. One of the best things was watching the messed up kid who was afraid of everything at least run back and get a backup or even put his body in front of a ball carrier and get run over. Hes never going to be Rabil but watching that growth is pretty sweet and he became functional me useful to his teammates. (who’s parents were very nice and seemed to believe this changed his life as they mention end of last spring to me, I think that’s extreme but whatever)
2a. I was too weak but occasionally fun you have a kid challenged its ok to talk to parents to learn how they optimize their kids activities and behavior. Just make sure you’ve practiced the words before you go to them. It should be about helping the kid and “growth mindset” (over utilized term today) and try to avoid discussing his weaknesses in that approach.
3. Man defense. Kids suck at it. They hack as everyone knows. I had two assistant who I pulled in and didn’t know the sport and one hated it but while you have to be careful I ran two drills that work well. One is have a rope or bungee and ball on line on ground and have two kids at angles go after it. Forces getting low and driving through but be very very careful about how they make contact being low and make sure their heads are still up.
The other one that really improved young kid defense is set up between the inner lines in the box one on one. Ten seconds so get a SOG or you do five pushups (2-3 if young). Have to stay inside lines and has to be on cage. If you get a shot in cage the d kid does the pushups. That relatively tight inner play forces them to use body on D.
4. Give explicit instructions to assistants when breaking up in practice. Unless they are your homeboys they will deviate and it’s hard to manage when you don’t know what they are actually doing.

But in a neophyte so others may have better advice. It’s a blast though. I’m weird though I have this what seems like murderous voice and energy in the sideline but it’s all positive. Work the refs like they’re your clients. Cradle the sack and all that and it works better than being a Tierney to them (honey over vinegar).
Thanks! There's some great stuff in here. Regarding #4, what worked for you and your assistants to show them what you want and get them to do things the way you've imagined them?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:52 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 pm My record is 2-2. Am I back in this thing? Can I make a playoff run? 28 points for a big win. I just looked who I face off against in the next few weeks. Not a favorable schedule for me, so I'm thinking I need to do some early draft prep.
Every time he checks a kid this season which just started (1-1, lost yest but got his first goal in two rebounds, own a teammate then his first which stick off Gb into goalies body, while taking baseball hacks but got it again on the Fraser and dumped it in-new team walks off like he scores more than the entire Thompson clan and it ain’t no thing but the nets was he took a blasting setting a pick and just tricked but fine and his teammate was free to shoot from 6 yards out in full extension motion sweeping across the top-event the coaches loved that)

But I can probably write a book better than Catcher in the Rye. Key difference is mine would be closer to the Henry Miller version if you get to know me. Or even some letters to the editor from an old publication related to someone named Guccione.

Joking, when I coached Jrs other rec team at first I didn’t know how to deal with the back talk and rat behavior of kids not my own. At first my visceral reaction was to make them run until they puked. By the end of the first season I was ready to fight opposing teams parents in the exurbs/sticks who were a-holes to my kids. Even the one I’m sure is autistic or something and once got checked on the wrist and audited his arm was on fire running around with the glove off on sideline while I promised him it wasn’t and had to use half my water bottle on his stupid arm to help him feel better.

But let’s not get distracted from the whipping my boy has coming for you. He wins with grace though. His idiot father? Grace is situational. ;)
I'm probably going to be coming to you for advice. This will be my first spring REALLY coaching young kids, including my son.
Happy to share, my family rolls by knowledge is to be shared not hoarded in order to get ahead information asymmetry (anachronistic in this world where we’ve broke all social walls down even the important ones via social media).

Quick hits:

1. The hardest thing is to balance focus in your son. I paid him too little attention as his coach IMO - he’s gonna read this too for the record so you know it’s accurate from my view.
2. One of the best things was watching the messed up kid who was afraid of everything at least run back and get a backup or even put his body in front of a ball carrier and get run over. Hes never going to be Rabil but watching that growth is pretty sweet and he became functional me useful to his teammates. (who’s parents were very nice and seemed to believe this changed his life as they mention end of last spring to me, I think that’s extreme but whatever)
2a. I was too weak but occasionally fun you have a kid challenged its ok to talk to parents to learn how they optimize their kids activities and behavior. Just make sure you’ve practiced the words before you go to them. It should be about helping the kid and “growth mindset” (over utilized term today) and try to avoid discussing his weaknesses in that approach.
3. Man defense. Kids suck at it. They hack as everyone knows. I had two assistant who I pulled in and didn’t know the sport and one hated it but while you have to be careful I ran two drills that work well. One is have a rope or bungee and ball on line on ground and have two kids at angles go after it. Forces getting low and driving through but be very very careful about how they make contact being low and make sure their heads are still up.
The other one that really improved young kid defense is set up between the inner lines in the box one on one. Ten seconds so get a SOG or you do five pushups (2-3 if young). Have to stay inside lines and has to be on cage. If you get a shot in cage the d kid does the pushups. That relatively tight inner play forces them to use body on D.
4. Give explicit instructions to assistants when breaking up in practice. Unless they are your homeboys they will deviate and it’s hard to manage when you don’t know what they are actually doing.

But in a neophyte so others may have better advice. It’s a blast though. I’m weird though I have this what seems like murderous voice and energy in the sideline but it’s all positive. Work the refs like they’re your clients. Cradle the sack and all that and it works better than being a Tierney to them (honey over vinegar).
Thanks! There's some great stuff in here. Regarding #4, what worked for you and your assistants to show them what you want and get them to do things the way you've imagined them?
Explicit instructions if it’s a drill and set of having them run it right and sometimes full speed. The other thing is make sure they understand the goal-move the ball in 3 seconds, don’t let a player get their hands free without a body on them, etc. the desired “outcome” and why (in less words that I typically use be more concise) the activity gets them there.

I’m weird though.l because while I’ve learned the game well and super close to many at the highest levels I played football in college. So I spent a lot of time on the CNY not explicitly HHH but I taught them about the little brother of war and how they are a tribe and that they should do everything for their tribe while competing. By end of second season I had them screaming tewarrton before games. I didn’t teach them tricks like “kick the ball away secretly on an out of bounds restart” or how to run moving screens and not get caught like the other coaches who care about winning over all else (it’s under 11 rec league) we also had 15 most seasons and rarely more than 12 for a game so a lot of ties, 1 goal leads and close halftimes that ended up 9-3 or something because our kids were dead by q4 and other suburban teams pull down older kids and carry 18-20 so they run waves of lines out. But because I got them animalistic a bit they never gave up at the end.

Footwork is the biggest thing and getting body on body defense is a challenge.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:31 pm

Quick hits:

Explicit instructions if it’s a drill and set of having them run it right and sometimes full speed. The other thing is make sure they understand the goal-move the ball in 3 seconds, don’t let a player get their hands free without a body on them, etc. the desired “outcome” and why (in less words that I typically use be more concise) the activity gets them there.

I’m weird though.l because while I’ve learned the game well and super close to many at the highest levels I played football in college. So I spent a lot of time on the CNY not explicitly HHH but I taught them about the little brother of war and how they are a tribe and that they should do everything for their tribe while competing. By end of second season I had them screaming tewarrton before games. I didn’t teach them tricks like “kick the ball away secretly on an out of bounds restart” or how to run moving screens and not get caught like the other coaches who care about winning over all else (it’s under 11 rec league) we also had 15 most seasons and rarely more than 12 for a game so a lot of ties, 1 goal leads and close halftimes that ended up 9-3 or something because our kids were dead by q4 and other suburban teams pull down older kids and carry 18-20 so they run waves of lines out. But because I got them animalistic a bit they never gave up at the end.

Cool! This is part one of a long series, I can feel it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ohmilax34 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:31 pm

Quick hits:

Cool! This is part one of a long series, I can feel it.
Also learn to live w parents who will get sucked into the club stuff then make life harder by mixing messages to the kid. Just assertively communicate that this is how it is here on this team and enforce it with “natural consequences”.

Some of this is learned from my mistakes FYI. Just care and it all works out ultimately. Just never ever be this guy as head coach:

https://youtu.be/2UBYT9teTIs?si=h6ogFAFwJSUqGuyy
See Martin, Malcolm
Lax1

Post by Lax1 »

wow I came so close to picking Goldstein in the 2nd round. And again in the 3rd. Was my second option both times, agonized both times. Looks like I may feel that pain for 4 years. Good player, will be fun to watch albeit with a side of regret…
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bundy at attack again. As long as he keeps going back and forth, he's an A/M. As soon as he plays A for several (three) games in a row, he's an A.
G'town up 5-0 on Dartmouth with 8:30 left in the 1st. This could get ugly.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

Nice of the Gtown coach to leave the starters in late for the 21-9 blowout. Good win for Call lmao. A long year for me.....
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tough loss for Greenie. Put up 18 and played ohmi this week who put up 28...
Caddy Day
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

Thanks for all you do Mr. Commish - it is appreciated by all.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

maddog29 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:40 pm Nice of the Gtown coach to leave the starters in late for the 21-9 blowout. Good win for Call lmao. A long year for me.....
I have been busier than a pair of jumper cables at one of my family picnics all day and just saw the score.....thank you coach Warne!! How bout that Aiden Carroll pick (that no one has said boo about!!)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

callaxdad wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:44 pm
maddog29 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:40 pm Nice of the Gtown coach to leave the starters in late for the 21-9 blowout. Good win for Call lmao. A long year for me.....
I have been busier than a pair of jumper cables at one of my family picnics all day and just saw the score.....thank you coach Warne!! How bout that Aiden Carroll pick (that no one has said boo about!!)
I’m still pissed I had jr drop a soph middie we had and he’s starting to look very good but guess I can’t name names now
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS FANTASY LACROSSE”