PLL 2024 Draft

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CoachMatthews2001

PLL 2024 Draft

Post by CoachMatthews2001 »

Through the first quarter of the season, I've created a big board based off in-depth film. These rankings are based on skillset that fits the mold of the PLL and that I believe have a shot to make a roster. Open to providing more context, but these are pretty accurate based on the film. Yes, some guys are listed under a different position because its where they will most likely have the best chance to play in the PLL.

Attack:
1. Brennan O’Neill
2. Connor Shellenberger
3. Pat Kavanagh
4. Matt Brandau
Midfield:
1. Shane Knobloch
2. Jake Stevens
3. Eric Dobson
4. Graham Bundy
5. Jacob Angelus
6. JJ Sillstrop
7. Scott Cole
LSM:
1. Mason Woodward
2. Jake Piseno
3. Roy Meyer
SSDM:
1. Brett Martin
2. Dylan Hess
3. Beau Pederson
4. Ben Ramsey
Defense:
1. Kenny Brower
2. Scott Smith
3. Ajax Zapitello
4. Patrick Morrison
Goalies:
1. Liam Entenmann
2. Logan McNaney
3. Chayse Ierlan
getitdone

Re: PLL 2024 Draft

Post by getitdone »

Your midfield names are interesting. I am not sure I agree. Can you share your reasoning? Dobson and Bundy are easy. Silstrop can shoot the lights out. Teams hope he can be a full time middie. Scott Cole? At the end of the day, your opinion is welcome. I enjoyed your perspective
CoachMatthews2001

getitdone wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:36 am Your midfield names are interesting. I am not sure I agree. Can you share your reasoning? Dobson and Bundy are easy. Silstrop can shoot the lights out. Teams hope he can be a full time middie. Scott Cole? At the end of the day, your opinion is welcome. I enjoyed your perspective
Its almost impossible to get a starting attack spot unless youre one of the top 3 picks this year. Full time attackmen have made the transition to PLL midfield very easily.. EX: Jake Carraway, Cole Kirst, Xander Dickson, Ryan Drenner, and the list goes on.

Knobloch is #1 because he's been a better dodging threat than all, and he can shoot on the run with both hands incredibly well which absolutely translates well to the PLL. Bundy and Dobson have not been great dodgers and are better spot up shooters. Jacob Angelus is one of the most underrated players in all of D1. He's got elite speed and vision can see him being utilized in the invert set very often. Scott Cole is super athletic and can draw slides very easily. I've seen him dodging from high wings and beating his pole almost every time through the first few games, also has a nice shot on the run from 10-15 yards. He also is athletic enough to get back on defense and that trait is an asset in the PLL.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CoachMatthews2001 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:57 am Through the first quarter of the season, I've created a big board based off in-depth film. These rankings are based on skillset that fits the mold of the PLL and that I believe have a shot to make a roster. Open to providing more context, but these are pretty accurate based on the film. Yes, some guys are listed under a different position because its where they will most likely have the best chance to play in the PLL.

Attack:
1. Brennan O’Neill
2. Connor Shellenberger
3. Pat Kavanagh
4. Matt Brandau
Midfield:
1. Shane Knobloch
2. Jake Stevens
3. Eric Dobson
4. Graham Bundy
5. Jacob Angelus
6. JJ Sillstrop
7. Scott Cole
LSM:
1. Mason Woodward
2. Jake Piseno
3. Roy Meyer
SSDM:
1. Brett Martin
2. Dylan Hess
3. Beau Pederson
4. Ben Ramsey
Defense:
1. Kenny Brower
2. Scott Smith
3. Ajax Zapitello
4. Patrick Morrison
Goalies:
1. Liam Entenmann
2. Logan McNaney
3. Chayse Ierlan
Since I also love MOCK DRAFTS, my top 5 to draft in order, and like Adler last year, I love defense first so here goes:
1. Ajax Zapitello
2. Brennan O'Neil
3. Connor Shellenberger
4. Liam Entenmann
5. Graham Bundy

I know O'Neil will probably be the consensus #1 , but again, I love defense 1st and that's why I would choose Ajax first.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
coda

Post by coda »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:17 pm
CoachMatthews2001 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:57 am Through the first quarter of the season, I've created a big board based off in-depth film. These rankings are based on skillset that fits the mold of the PLL and that I believe have a shot to make a roster. Open to providing more context, but these are pretty accurate based on the film. Yes, some guys are listed under a different position because its where they will most likely have the best chance to play in the PLL.

Attack:
1. Brennan O’Neill
2. Connor Shellenberger
3. Pat Kavanagh
4. Matt Brandau
Midfield:
1. Shane Knobloch
2. Jake Stevens
3. Eric Dobson
4. Graham Bundy
5. Jacob Angelus
6. JJ Sillstrop
7. Scott Cole
LSM:
1. Mason Woodward
2. Jake Piseno
3. Roy Meyer
SSDM:
1. Brett Martin
2. Dylan Hess
3. Beau Pederson
4. Ben Ramsey
Defense:
1. Kenny Brower
2. Scott Smith
3. Ajax Zapitello
4. Patrick Morrison
Goalies:
1. Liam Entenmann
2. Logan McNaney
3. Chayse Ierlan
Since I also love MOCK DRAFTS, my top 5 to draft in order, and like Adler last year, I love defense first so here goes:
1. Ajax Zapitello
2. Brennan O'Neil
3. Connor Shellenberger
4. Liam Entenmann
5. Graham Bundy

I know O'Neil will probably be the consensus #1 , but again, I love defense 1st and that's why I would choose Ajax first.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
maybe I am off (covid years and all), but I am not taking Entenmann top 5. This looks to be a very deep year at Goalie. I know popular opinion is he is the best, but I am not sure he is clearly better than Gianfarcaro or McNaney.
CoachMatthews2001

Attack:
1. Brennan O’Neill
2. Connor Shellenberger
3. Pat Kavanagh
4. Matt Brandau
Midfield:
1. Shane Knobloch
2. Jake Stevens
3. Eric Dobson
4. Graham Bundy
5. Jacob Angelus
6. JJ Sillstrop
7. Scott Cole
LSM:
1. Mason Woodward
2. Jake Piseno
3. Roy Meyer
SSDM:
1. Brett Martin
2. Dylan Hess
3. Beau Pederson
4. Ben Ramsey
Defense:
1. Kenny Brower
2. Scott Smith
3. Ajax Zapitello
4. Patrick Morrison
Goalies:
1. Liam Entenmann
2. Logan McNaney
3. Chayse Ierlan
1. Ajax Zapitello
2. Brennan O'Neil
3. Connor Shellenberger
4. Liam Entenmann
5. Graham Bundy

Gobigred
Joewillie78
This is one of the worst takes ive ever seen. I doubt Zapitello is a first-round pick and putting him over O'Neill is a waste of time typing. Many teams dont need poles and Zapitello is not close to the level Adler is at either. Adler is faster, stronger, a lefty, and better off the ground while also dominating matchups of every size. What scares me about Zapitello is he's had Makar cover all of the big bodies throughout his entire career and has only covered the small speed dodgers. The PLL consist of a ton of physical dodgers and I am yet to see him cover one of them, besides Kirst in a scrimmage (from highlights and word of mouth) Kirst dominated him. Zapitello also gets beat way too often for my liking. Hes not a PLL #1 cover guy, I think he may start for a team, but wouldn't use a first on him. After watching last night, I thought AJ Pilate was far and away better than him, I dont have Army guys on here because I don't know their eligibility. I ranked guys positionally for a reason. A mock draft will be based off team needs
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I didn't see CJ Kirst on your list. Is he taking a 5th year at Cornell. Also, doesn't Shellenberger have another year of eligibility that he is going to use?
CoachMatthews2001

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:11 pm I didn't see CJ Kirst on your list. Is he taking a 5th year at Cornell. Also, doesn't Shellenberger have another year of eligibility that he is going to use?
From reliable sources, Kirst is going back to Cornell and Shellenberger is going to the PLL. I could be wrong
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:11 pm I didn't see CJ Kirst on your list. Is he taking a 5th year at Cornell. Also, doesn't Shellenberger have another year of eligibility that he is going to use?
Kirst is definitely coming back for a 5th year in 2025.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CoachMatthews2001 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:04 pm

Attack:
1. Brennan O’Neill
2. Connor Shellenberger
3. Pat Kavanagh
4. Matt Brandau
Midfield:
1. Shane Knobloch
2. Jake Stevens
3. Eric Dobson
4. Graham Bundy
5. Jacob Angelus
6. JJ Sillstrop
7. Scott Cole
LSM:
1. Mason Woodward
2. Jake Piseno
3. Roy Meyer
SSDM:
1. Brett Martin
2. Dylan Hess
3. Beau Pederson
4. Ben Ramsey
Defense:
1. Kenny Brower
2. Scott Smith
3. Ajax Zapitello
4. Patrick Morrison
Goalies:
1. Liam Entenmann
2. Logan McNaney
3. Chayse Ierlan
1. Ajax Zapitello
2. Brennan O'Neil
3. Connor Shellenberger
4. Liam Entenmann
5. Graham Bundy

Gobigred
Joewillie78
This is one of the worst takes ive ever seen. I doubt Zapitello is a first-round pick and putting him over O'Neill is a waste of time typing. Many teams dont need poles and Zapitello is not close to the level Adler is at either. Adler is faster, stronger, a lefty, and better off the ground while also dominating matchups of every size. What scares me about Zapitello is he's had Makar cover all of the big bodies throughout his entire career and has only covered the small speed dodgers. The PLL consist of a ton of physical dodgers and I am yet to see him cover one of them, besides Kirst in a scrimmage (from highlights and word of mouth) Kirst dominated him. Zapitello also gets beat way too often for my liking. Hes not a PLL #1 cover guy, I think he may start for a team, but wouldn't use a first on him. After watching last night, I thought AJ Pilate was far and away better than him, I dont have Army guys on here because I don't know their eligibility. I ranked guys positionally for a reason. A mock draft will be based off team needs
Wow, where is ICGRAD when I need him?

Worst takes you have ever seen? Did you just start reading my material? I've had far worse than this.

By the way, I was the first person last year to predict Adler #1, don't I get a little street cred for that?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

joewillie78 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:46 pm
Kirst is definitely coming back for a 5th year in 2025.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

He should go pro..... :?
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

coda wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:59 pm

Attack:
1. Brennan O’Neill
2. Connor Shellenberger
3. Pat Kavanagh
4. Matt Brandau
Midfield:
1. Shane Knobloch
2. Jake Stevens
3. Eric Dobson
4. Graham Bundy
5. Jacob Angelus
6. JJ Sillstrop
7. Scott Cole
LSM:
1. Mason Woodward
2. Jake Piseno
3. Roy Meyer
SSDM:
1. Brett Martin
2. Dylan Hess
3. Beau Pederson
4. Ben Ramsey
Defense:
1. Kenny Brower
2. Scott Smith
3. Ajax Zapitello
4. Patrick Morrison
Goalies:
1. Liam Entenmann
2. Logan McNaney
3. Chayse Ierlan
1. Ajax Zapitello
2. Brennan O'Neil
3. Connor Shellenberger
4. Liam Entenmann
5. Graham Bundy

Gobigred
Joewillie78
maybe I am off (covid years and all), but I am not taking Entenmann top 5. This looks to be a very deep year at Goalie. I know popular opinion is he is the best, but I am not sure he is clearly better than Gianfarcaro or McNaney.
Gianforcaro is in the transfer portal for next year, don’t think he will be in this years PLL Draft.
coda

Post by coda »

Powellfan22 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:07 pm
coda wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:59 pm

Attack:
1. Brennan O’Neill
2. Connor Shellenberger
3. Pat Kavanagh
4. Matt Brandau
Midfield:
1. Shane Knobloch
2. Jake Stevens
3. Eric Dobson
4. Graham Bundy
5. Jacob Angelus
6. JJ Sillstrop
7. Scott Cole
LSM:
1. Mason Woodward
2. Jake Piseno
3. Roy Meyer
SSDM:
1. Brett Martin
2. Dylan Hess
3. Beau Pederson
4. Ben Ramsey
Defense:
1. Kenny Brower
2. Scott Smith
3. Ajax Zapitello
4. Patrick Morrison
Goalies:
1. Liam Entenmann
2. Logan McNaney
3. Chayse Ierlan
1. Ajax Zapitello
2. Brennan O'Neil
3. Connor Shellenberger
4. Liam Entenmann
5. Graham Bundy

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Gianforcaro is in the transfer portal for next year, don’t think he will be in this years PLL Draft.
thanks. This Covid nonsense is killing me. At least I know the #1 portal player for next year.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Attack:
1. Brennan O’Neill
2. Connor Shellenberger
3. Pat Kavanagh
4. Matt Brandau
Midfield:
1. Shane Knobloch
2. Jake Stevens
3. Eric Dobson
4. Graham Bundy
5. Jacob Angelus
6. JJ Sillstrop
7. Scott Cole
LSM:
1. Mason Woodward
2. Jake Piseno
3. Roy Meyer
SSDM:
1. Brett Martin
2. Dylan Hess
3. Beau Pederson
4. Ben Ramsey
Defense:
1. Kenny Brower
2. Scott Smith
3. Ajax Zapitello
4. Patrick Morrison
Goalies:
1. Liam Entenmann
2. Logan McNaney
3. Chayse Ierlan
Fogo?
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

I 100% agree with Knobloch. EXTREMELY underrated and your comment about his ability to shoot on the run is spot on. I don't see many of his goals via spot up shooting. Dobson is the exact opposite but when he is on, he is tough to stop. Will be a solid pro. Angelus is very good. There is still some doubt about him being a playmaking middie in the PLL. Small but some he is not a lock. Cole is good. Is he good enough to go against the PLL SSDM or poles TDD. You have Jake Stevens as #2. He is a horse. Is he hurt though? English- does he have another year? He is also going to be a very good pro. Why not love there?
Goalies I agree with one poster that felt that Liam was very good but is worth a top 5 pick versus the others. McNaney is special. Fun topic thank you

Post by 1766 »

getitdone wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:47 pm I 100% agree with Knobloch. EXTREMELY underrated and your comment about his ability to shoot on the run is spot on. I don't see many of his goals via spot up shooting. Dobson is the exact opposite but when he is on, he is tough to stop. Will be a solid pro. Angelus is very good. There is still some doubt about him being a playmaking middie in the PLL. Small but some he is not a lock. Cole is good. Is he good enough to go against the PLL SSDM or poles TDD. You have Jake Stevens as #2. He is a horse. Is he hurt though? English- does he have another year? He is also going to be a very good pro. Why not love there?
Goalies I agree with one poster that felt that Liam was very good but is worth a top 5 pick versus the others. McNaney is special. Fun topic thank you
Spot on about Shane Knobloch. I stated preseason if he stays healthy he is the best midfielder in the country. He shoots on the run equally well right and left handed. His IQ is extremely high, he's strong and quick, and he can play both ways and help in the clearing. What's old is new. He's a modern midfielder who can play both ways. He will do very well in the PLL.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

getitdone wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:47 pm I 100% agree with Knobloch. EXTREMELY underrated and your comment about his ability to shoot on the run is spot on. I don't see many of his goals via spot up shooting. Dobson is the exact opposite but when he is on, he is tough to stop. Will be a solid pro. Angelus is very good. There is still some doubt about him being a playmaking middie in the PLL. Small but some he is not a lock. Cole is good. Is he good enough to go against the PLL SSDM or poles TDD. You have Jake Stevens as #2. He is a horse. Is he hurt though? English- does he have another year? He is also going to be a very good pro. Why not love there?
Stevens has an “upper body” injury. Not sure when he is due back. English does have another year of eligibility left.
molo

Post by molo »

Stevens played against HPU.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”