Conference Merry-Go-Rounds

D1 Womens Lacrosse
WashedUpLaxDad

Conference Merry-Go-Rounds

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

UMass leaving A10 for MAC. However, they are asking for an exception for mens and women's lax.

Can't see MAC letting UMass women stay in MAC. Would be a boost to the MAC long-term, even though UMass may win most of their conference games by 10+ goals over first couple years.
MolonLaxe

Re: Conference Merry-Go-Rounds

Post by MolonLaxe »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:25 pm UMass leaving A10 for MAC. However, they are asking for an exception for mens and women's lax.

Can't see MAC letting UMass women stay in MAC. Would be a boost to the MAC long-term, even though UMass may win most of their conference games by 10+ goals over first couple years.
This one is interesting to me. I think they have a great shot of winning the MAC in lacrosse and honestly, their football team puts them squarely within the MAC. Maybe squarely towards the bottom of football, but it makes sense.

Will be curious if they get an exception, but I'm thinking that is unlikely. Conferences are constantly shifting.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Nice article and some thoughts from Florida head coach on making the change to a new conference.

https://www.gainesville.com/story/sport ... 716391007/
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:21 am
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:25 pm UMass leaving A10 for MAC. However, they are asking for an exception for mens and women's lax.

This one is interesting to me. I think they have a great shot of winning the MAC in lacrosse and honestly, their football team puts them squarely within the MAC. Maybe squarely towards the bottom of football, but it makes sense.

Will be curious if they get an exception, but I'm thinking that is unlikely. Conferences are constantly shifting.

They absolutely better win the MAC! The LEAGUE has a combined record of 3-23 currently. Oof.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:02 am

They absolutely better win the MAC! The LEAGUE has a combined record of 3-23 currently. Oof.
It's a new conference and while a few of the schools have had lax for some time, most have not.

TNLAX--

Thanks for sharing the article!
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

TNLAX wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:58 am Nice article and some thoughts from Florida head coach on making the change to a new conference.

The point about getting to play in CA and CO for recruiting is an interesting angle I hadn't thought of. The part about more flexibility to play higher ranked OOC opponents, I don't know? Yes they played Loyola, UNC and MD already and a game still with Princeton, but rest of OOC schedule isn't exactly pushing the strength of schedule envelope this year. Jacksonville, ASU, UC Davis, San Diego State, Mercer, Furman & Liberty. If coach really wanted to up the OOC schedule, she could have this year and didn't. If I was a betting man, I bet they end up like Jacksonville and play 75% of their games within the state of Florida as teams are willing to travel south for better weather games.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

forthelaxofit wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:31 am
TNLAX wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:58 am Nice article and some thoughts from Florida head coach on making the change to a new conference.

The point about getting to play in CA and CO for recruiting is an interesting angle I hadn't thought of. The part about more flexibility to play higher ranked OOC opponents, I don't know? Yes they played Loyola, UNC and MD already and a game still with Princeton, but rest of OOC schedule isn't exactly pushing the strength of schedule envelope this year. Jacksonville, ASU, UC Davis, San Diego State, Mercer, Furman & Liberty. If coach really wanted to up the OOC schedule, she could have this year and didn't. If I was a betting man, I bet they end up like Jacksonville and play 75% of their games within the state of Florida as teams are willing to travel south for better weather games.
I found that portion interesting as well. They also fail to factor in Cincy leaving so USF and UNCC only nets 1 additional in conference game. As someone else pointed out, the move ensures that a worthy team gets the auto-bid to the tourney. Not sure the Big12 is going to be anymore competitive than the AAC as they are trying to claim in the article.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

I’m not following…UMass wants to stay A10 for lacrosse right? The MAC doesn’t fit UMass at all.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Seems official. UMass lacrosse just posted that they are joining the MAC for the 25-26 season.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

The MAC is committed to football and they seem to be equally committed to Women's Lacrosse. With the Big 10 stretching from sea to shining sea in football, there's no reason UMass couldn't jump to the MAC. IMO it all hinges on football and how committed a school is to that particular sport.

The 2025 season should be all UMass on the women's lacrosse field and hopefully, it will help improve the conference.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Tough for UMass recruiting. Can’t see these midwestern MAC schools garnering much excitement from potential recruits.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

lax410 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 am Tough for UMass recruiting. Can’t see these midwestern MAC schools garnering much excitement from potential recruits.
On the lax side or football?

Looking through the rosters right now--CMU has 11 of the players from out east. See below.

Central Michigan
NY - 5
MD - 2
NJ - 2
MA - 1
PA - 1

Ohio - 6
IL - 5
MI - 3
IN - 1

Texas - 3
GA - 2
FL - 1
Ontario - 1
CO - 1
KY - 1

Eastern Michigan
MD - 8
NY - 4
NJ - 3
PA - 4
DE - 1

I think most every MAC school does recruit decently out east. Each seem to do a good job selling some of their own advantages. CMU has a medical school and it can be easier for someone in their undergrad to get in. Kent State has a solid reputation for their dentistry program, with kids deciding to go on there or move on to Ohio State's program, etc.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 am
lax410 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 am Tough for UMass recruiting. Can’t see these midwestern MAC schools garnering much excitement from potential recruits.

Looking through the rosters right now--CMU has 11 of the players from out east. See below.

Central Michigan
NY - 5
MD - 2
NJ - 2
MA - 1
PA - 1

Ohio - 6
IL - 5
MI - 3
IN - 1

Texas - 3
GA - 2
FL - 1
Ontario - 1
CO - 1
KY - 1

Eastern Michigan
MD - 8
NY - 4
NJ - 3
PA - 4
DE - 1

I think most every MAC school does recruit decently out east. Each seem to do a good job selling some of their own advantages. CMU has a medical school and it can be easier for someone in their undergrad to get in. Kent State has a solid reputation for their dentistry program, with kids deciding to go on there or move on to Ohio State's program, etc.
Hmm I’m not sure girls who were hoping to play in a reasonably competitive conference like the A10 will be wowed by the MAC. It’s really not at the same level.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

lax410 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:35 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 am

Central Michigan
NY - 5
MD - 2
NJ - 2
MA - 1
PA - 1

Ohio - 6
IL - 5
MI - 3
IN - 1

Texas - 3
GA - 2
FL - 1
Ontario - 1
CO - 1
KY - 1

Eastern Michigan
MD - 8
NY - 4
NJ - 3
PA - 4
DE - 1

Hmm I’m not sure girls who were hoping to play in a reasonably competitive conference like the A10 will be wowed by the MAC. It’s really not at the same level.
With UMass being 0-3 this year it’s not a bad move. :lol:
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Ha well for sure UMass would win that conference 😆
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Some perspective from Florida about why they moved to the Big 12. O'Leary said it was to schedule more tough non-conference games. Also said she's working on scheduling a non-conference series with JMU.
https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... ig-12-2025
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

jff97 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:19 am Some perspective from Florida about why they moved to the Big 12. O'Leary said it was to schedule more tough non-conference games. Also said she's working on scheduling a non-conference series with JMU.
https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... ig-12-2025
They will only net one extra OOC game with this move. No one is forcing them to play Mercer and Furman.
*amending to say I guess they'll have two extra since only 6 teams in Big12. I also wouldn't put Florida in the camp that only schedules cupcakes OOC.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”