Average roster sizes?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NattyBohChamps04

Average roster sizes?

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Was looking at the UNC vs Fairfield replay and there were like ~55+ kids suited up for UNC and ~45+ suited up for Fairfield.

I know that there are scholly limits and travel limits based on tournament restrictions and bus/plane sizes, but what are teams carrying these days? Are we on 45-55 team rosters as normal based on motor coach size? I've seen a lot of D2, D3 and club teams traveling with full bus loads the past 5 years.
Lax4love

Re: Average roster sizes?

Post by Lax4love »

UNC has a large number of 5th years (many of whom do not see the field but who wouldn't want to spend one more year in Chapel Hill) and also a large number of seniors (again, many of whom do not see the field). UNC's roster next year should be considerably smaller....
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Lax4love wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 am UNC has a large number of 5th years (many of whom do not see the field but who wouldn't want to spend one more year in Chapel Hill) and also a large number of seniors (again, many of whom do not see the field). UNC's roster next year should be considerably smaller....
Lots of teams have this current issue. IIRC, this is the last year of the extra year for COVID. So much, but not all, of this should work its way out next year.

Another issue is because if COVID you had a number of Ivy league kids have an extra year but couldn't play in the Ivy league becaue they are grad students.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

An interesting anomaly at Cabrini happening. DIII obviously. They went from the typical 45-55+ to 27 players. The circumstances surrounding the shrunken roster are unique, and there aren't enough outcomes to draw any conclusions. They lost a number of high impact (DIII level) players. Those who chose to stay onboard for the last season are getting a level of practice involvement and playing opportunity that most squads don't see at any collegiate level. I don't think it's going to change anything about how rosters are constructed. It's still an aberration in today's bloated roster landscape.

ECD video: https://youtu.be/jtXdxrr_j34?si=A2UTQK_j9ROPey1E
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Rosters of a few contenders this year.

Virginia 48
Maryland 48
Yale 49
Duke 52
Penn St. 55
Cornell 56
ND 57
JHU 60
Cuse 61
UNC 63

Personally I can’t imagine running an efficient practice or keeping players engaged with roster in the 60s (I think High Point is >70) but agree that these will drop closer to normal next year when the 5th and 6th year foolishness gets flushed out.
Last edited by pcowlax on Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:52 pm Rosters of a few contenders this year.

Virginia 48
Maryland 48
Duke 52
Penn St. 55
Cornell 56
ND 57
JHU 60
Cuse 61
UNC 63

Personally I can’t imagine running an efficient practice or keeping players engaged with roster in the 60s (I think High Point is >70) but agree that these will drop closer to normal next year when the 5th and 6th year foolishness gets flushed out.
Yes. High Point with SEVENTY FOUR players. Yikes!
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:47 pm An interesting anomaly at Cabrini happening. DIII obviously. They went from the typical 45-55+ to 27 players. The circumstances surrounding the shrunken roster are unique, and there aren't enough outcomes to draw any conclusions. They lost a number of high impact (DIII level) players. Those who chose to stay onboard for the last season are getting a level of practice involvement and playing opportunity that most squads don't see at any collegiate level. I don't think it's going to change anything about how rosters are constructed. It's still an aberration in today's bloated roster landscape.

ECD video: https://youtu.be/jtXdxrr_j34?si=A2UTQK_j9ROPey1E
I believe Cabrini College is closing. That likely explains the shrinking roster.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”