Polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Madlax59

Re: Top 25 - Week 6

Post by Madlax59 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:15 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:53 am Just FTR, I don't think any of this is crazy; I think this is a little bit of a crazy year. I am just a doubter on Virginia being the third best team in the country, and I think BC plummets too far after the loss to the Catholics. I think tothedraw is right: it's going to be a really interesting April and May.
Sometimes I rank teams based on what I hope they do--which is the case with Ginny. Plus their win over Notre Dame at South Bend looks bigger now. I stuck them at 3, in much the same way I have (10-0) Michigan at 2--there until they prove me wrong. We'll find out soon enough this week with Virginia playing both JMU and Syracuse at Klockner.

BC falling that far I think is warranted, from my perspective anyway, due to the way they played Saturday. Too casual. Sloppy careless passing and too many missed point blank scoring opportunities. For all BC's talent and experience, when it's all said and done their biggest win of the year so far has been #22 UMass who has since fallen off the planet. I'm in a Missouri state of mind when it comes to BC at this point. I appreciate the input though--as always.
I believe the IWLCA poll is more accurate .
Lax Mag hs too many biases (sp) as to teams they like not always subjective . Also they have UNC with 4 losses and they only have 3.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 am
3. Virginia
Come on man.....#3? Living in the Commonwealth, i cant buy this.

And it's not that I'm a hokie....just doesnt seem right :o

[Edit] looking forward to seeing hoo is the best team in VA.on Wednesday
Womenslaxxfan

Re: Polls

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Game is at klockner. UVA and jmu have traditionally been very tight games. I think Hoos win 13-10
eastcoastlax

Post by eastcoastlax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 pm Game is at klockner. UVA and jmu have traditionally been very tight games. I think Hoos win 13-10
I am rooting for the hoos as the JMU fans and their barking is truly annoying but looks to me as JMU is a 2 goal favorite.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 am 3. Virginia
HOW BOUT THEM GINNY CAVS!!

THE feel good story in the ACC thus far this season for me. Love this team! Seems like they've finally been liberated to play to their full potential. Vets are producing, frosh are producing. New coach, new inspiration, new energy. As I wrote to Sea earlier in the thread, sometimes I rank based on what I hope a team does, or continues to do. Or another way to put it, based on the potential I see. This team has one (OT loss to then #8 NC) blemish on their resume from the 2nd week of the season. I'm hoping they continue to win and prove the doubters wrong (even in their own state 😉). They will be truly tested this week with games vs. #6 JMU and #7 Syracuse. I hope they keep the train a-rollin'. The Wednesday game vs JMU with a 5pm start time--I get home from work at 4. BIG bucket of popcorn for that one!
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 am
3. Virginia

Looking forward to this game. My eye test on Virginia is that the coaching change has been good for them. UVA in Charlottesville, 14-13.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Early line UVA -1.5
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:10 am Early line UVA -1.5
I wouldn't bet this game with your money.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:53 am
You know you want to
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:14 am
You know you want to
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

I have watched 3 Virginia games this year and have found them fun to watch. Their passing is top notch and they are 2nd in D1 in assists per game. In the 2 wins I have seen against Stanford and ND they had 22 goals and 16 assists. In the loss to UNC, they only had 5 assists and 9 goals. Their success so far has been on assists/feeds and not 1v1 to goal play. When JMU played UNC, Godine and Humprey combined for 7 assists so that has to make Virginia confident. I think JMU will score their share of goals, so to me the key to this game is will Virginia generate the successful feed/assist play, or will JMU be able to take that away and force more 1v1 play. Like you though, I wouldn't bet this game but will enjoy watching it.
eastcoastlax

Post by eastcoastlax »

forthelaxofit wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:36 pm
I have watched 3 Virginia games this year and have found them fun to watch. Their passing is top notch and they are 2nd in D1 in assists per game. In the 2 wins I have seen against Stanford and ND they had 22 goals and 16 assists. In the loss to UNC, they only had 5 assists and 9 goals. Their success so far has been on assists/feeds and not 1v1 to goal play. When JMU played UNC, Godine and Humprey combined for 7 assists so that has to make Virginia confident. I think JMU will score their share of goals, so to me the key to this game is will Virginia generate the successful feed/assist play, or will JMU be able to take that away and force more 1v1 play. Like you though, I wouldn't bet this game but will enjoy watching it.
JMU plus 30 on draw controls for season ; UVA is minus 30 for the season. Going to be a long day playing defense for UVA . UVA goalie been playing well but the draws may be too lopsided.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

eastcoastlax wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:47 pm
forthelaxofit wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:36 pm
JMU plus 30 on draw controls for season ; UVA is minus 30 for the season. Going to be a long day playing defense for UVA . UVA goalie been playing well but the draws may be too lopsided.
This will be the deciding factor in the game. UVA has to do better in this area to stand a chance. JMU is too efficient on offense to allow them to have the ball all day.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 am

THE feel good story in the ACC thus far this season for me. Love this team! Seems like they've finally been liberated to play to their full potential. Vets are producing, frosh are producing. New coach, new inspiration, new energy. As I wrote to Sea earlier in the thread, sometimes I rank based on what I hope a team does, or continues to do. Or another way to put it, based on the potential I see. This team has one (OT loss to then #8 NC) blemish on their resume from the 2nd week of the season. I'm hoping they continue to win and prove the doubters wrong (even in their own state 😉). They will be truly tested this week with games vs. #6 JMU and #7 Syracuse. I hope they keep the train a-rollin'. The Wednesday game vs JMU with a 5pm start time--I get home from work at 4. BIG bucket of popcorn for that one!
No one...I repeat, no one in the Mid-Atlantic calls the University of Virginia, "Ginny". It is a slang term for rural areas with high poverty. UVA is not that.

I don't think I will change your use, but, I just wanted you to know that folks down here don't use that term.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:18 pm No one...I repeat, no one in the Mid-Atlantic calls the University of Virginia, "Ginny". It is a slang term for rural areas with high poverty. UVA is not that.

I don't think I will change your use, but, I just wanted you to know that folks down here don't use that term.

I know, doc--that's what makes me all the more tickled that I came up with it organically.

I remember telling all-a yiz (you specifically) about it when it occurred to me:

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:15 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:57 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:43 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:44 am Sunny in the mid 40’s with a slight breeze forecast for the game. I’ll be rooting for the Ginny’s but I doubt they’ll pull the upset. I just think Reese will have the troops better prepared and more disciplined in their execution. But hey—that’s why they play the games. Just ask the Dukes 😉
C'mon man....Cavaliers, Cavs, Hoos are all good names, but Ginny's?
Oh I love making up new nicknames. Like the Hokes is another one I was recently inspired to coin. They’re all terms of endearment in one degree or another.
I can even explain the etymology. I had an old Rolling Stones song in my head this morning, a line of which is:

“Looking down a forty-four in West Virginny”

The loose pronunciation of “Virginia” is Mick’s, but it occurred to me as I was thinking about the team and the game this afternoon. Hoo knows—maybe it will catch on. I’m kidding. But then again Hoo was the first person to coin that nickname? All in good fun.
Honestly, do you (and others) realize what stuffed shirts and fuddy-duddies you sound like protesting my use of "Ginny"? Yiz should really get over yourselves. And you of all people should talk. You use a couple of nicknames for teams that I can't stand. But they're nicknames you choose to use, so I don't get in the way of your fun. And in the end, isn't that all it is--having a little fun?

Oh, and a slightly notable anecdote to add—I used that exact phrase “How bout them Ginny Cavs!” in Twitterville, and didn’t a certain well known Hoo alum who is still very active and visible in the lacrosse world “like” the tweet? If she doesn’t have a problem with it—why do youse?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:18 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 am

No one...I repeat, no one in the Mid-Atlantic calls the University of Virginia, "Ginny". It is a slang term for rural areas with high poverty. UVA is not that.

I know, doc--that's what makes me all the more tickled that I came up with it organically.

I remember telling all-a yiz (you specifically) about it when it occurred to me:

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:15 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:57 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:43 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:44 am Sunny in the mid 40’s with a slight breeze forecast for the game. I’ll be rooting for the Ginny’s but I doubt they’ll pull the upset. I just think Reese will have the troops better prepared and more disciplined in their execution. But hey—that’s why they play the games. Just ask the Dukes 😉
C'mon man....Cavaliers, Cavs, Hoos are all good names, but Ginny's?
Oh I love making up new nicknames. Like the Hokes is another one I was recently inspired to coin. They’re all terms of endearment in one degree or another.
I can even explain the etymology. I had an old Rolling Stones song in my head this morning, a line of which is:

“Looking down a forty-four in West Virginny”

The loose pronunciation of “Virginia” is Mick’s, but it occurred to me as I was thinking about the team and the game this afternoon. Hoo knows—maybe it will catch on. I’m kidding. But then again Hoo was the first person to coin that nickname? All in good fun.
Honestly, do you (and others) realize what stuffed shirts and fuddy-duddies you sound like protesting my use of "Ginny"? Yiz should really get over yourselves. And you of all people should talk. You use a couple of nicknames for teams that I can't stand. But they're nicknames you choose to use, so I don't get in the way of your fun. And in the end, isn't that all it is--having a little fun?

Oh, and a slightly notable anecdote to add—I used that exact phrase “How bout them Ginny Cavs!” in Twitterville, and didn’t a certain well known Hoo alum who is still very active and visible in the lacrosse world “like” the tweet? If she doesn’t have a problem with it—why do youse?
I dont really give a F**K about what you want to call UVA. I am not a stuffed shirt nor a fuddy-duddy. I just wanted you to know that it was more of a slur than a cute nickname.

I went to a land grant school (VT), hardly upper crust. You are always trying to put me in some blue-blood bucket. Let's get the record straight, please do not lump me in your holier than though richie-rich definition that you have been trying to apply to me over the years. It isn't close to the truth of who or what I am and it is personally insulting.
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 pm
And you of all people should talk. You use a couple of nicknames for teams that I can't stand
Since you are calling me out, what are the nicknames that you hate that I use? Cuse? Meechicken? Please let me know so I can be sensitive to your feelings.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:12 pm I dont really give a F**K about what you want to call UVA. I am not a stuffed shirt nor a fuddy-duddy. I just wanted you to know that it was more of a slur than a cute nickname.

I went to a land grant school (VT), hardly upper crust. You are always trying to put me in some blue-blood bucket. Let's get the record straight, please do not lump me in your holier than though richie-rich definition that you have been trying to apply to me over the years. It isn't close to the truth of who or what I am and it is personally insulting.
Ah doc...and here I was thinking we were getting along, and that your presumptuous hair-trigger had ebbed. Appropriate song for your sendoff. Hit it, Pete!

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:30 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:12 pm I dont really give a F**K about what you want to call UVA. I am not a stuffed shirt nor a fuddy-duddy. I just wanted you to know that it was more of a slur than a cute nickname.

Ah doc...and here I was thinking we were getting along, and that your presumptuous hair-trigger had ebbed. Appropriate song for your sendoff. Hit it, Pete!

And I will ask again...what nicknames do I use that you dislike?

presumptuous hair trigger? please elaborate...and lets not talk about BC vs Loyola.

[edit] have some common decency and stop the martyr angst. We are not all against you. I have tried to be decent with you. Please have respect for others that comment on your posts. I didn't attack you, just wanted you to know that some might take your nickname as less than what you think it is.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:54 pm Oh, and a slightly notable anecdote to add—I used that exact phrase “How bout them Ginny Cavs!” in Twitterville, and didn’t a certain well known Hoo alum who is still very active and visible in the lacrosse world “like” the tweet? If she doesn’t have a problem with it—why do youse?
Another anecdote. I am a graduate of Mr. Jefferson's fine university and I find it extremely grating to see the use of the term Ginny.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't like the Ginny thing at all, first time I saw I had no idea what it meant.
I agree that for some reason it's grating, sounds ridiculous (to me). Not gonna
lose any sleep over it, different strokes for different folks. DD-Tech (miss him
a lot, great story teller, great sense of humor) used to tell a story about his
bro-in-law (sore&old) coming to his house and putting ketchup on his spaghetti dinner.
That Irishman put ketchup on everything. I'm sure his in-laws found that grating
(putting it very mildly). Can you imagine that at an Italian family's table when
Momma spent the whole day making and stirring the sauce? :o :o :o What appeals
to some doesn't to others for sure.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”