Polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxmenow

Re: Polls

Post by laxmenow »

I took a shot at this including “Quad 1” wins (vs other top 15), like they do in BB:
1. NW (3-1) super high SOS, doesn’t get much easier from here
2. ND (2-2) NW win strongest, 4 top 10 games so far, really only BC remaining
3. MD (3-1) sched not as tough as ND to date
4. UNC (2-2) UVA win looking stronger
5. LOY (2-0) haven’t played the top, but looking really strong
6. UVA (1-1) one game makes us believers, but only blemish tight game against Carolina
7. SYR (1-3) like NW, playing the best, tight games against the top
8. SB (1-1) limited competition, Denver game only Top 15 comp remaining
9. JMU (1-1) played NC and MD pretty even, maybe should be higher?
10. MICH (1-0) only win here vs Den, need to win vs MD or NW (or come extremely close) to garner top 5 votes
11. BC (0-1) who have they played and beaten so far ? No one. Rest of the season (6 ranked teams) will tell it all.
12. HOP (1-2) not sure this is warranted, let’s see if they hang with NW next week
13. DEN (0-3) see BC,hung tight vs MD and NW, SB toughest game remaining then conf games won’t help
14. FLA (1-2) handled by LOY and UNC, got MD early
15. PENN (1-0) JHU squeaker, need to see more

Clearly the ACC and B1G conf schedules will sort a lot out. Harder to see who’s standing at the end in the ACC,
NW then MD still at the top in B1G …
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Week 5

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

BackOfTheNet wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:04 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:49 pm
BackOfTheNet wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:31 pm Not sure why you would discount a 5-0 Penn with a JHU win under them. We'll know more when they face michigan, but the last time they played a top 10 was NCAAs last year and played a close 9-7 to BC. Their defense happens to the lowest GA average of everyone in this group. Anyone can beat anyone in the top 15.
Last year was last year. Penn's played 5 games thus far. We know nothing conclusive yet about Penn. Numbers tallied from mostly mediocre to poor teams--also meaningless. The Quakers will have legitimate opportunities to prove their mettle soon enough however: Michigan 3.16; at Maryland 3.27; Loyola 4.17. Then we'll see what their numbers look like. I don't think they'll have a Sunday afternoon stroll through the rest of the Ancient Eight either. We shall see. Good to consider though. I like Penn. Love their coach. I hope they do well.

Point was, some of the top 10 has largely played mediocre to poor teams as well. And theyre sitting in their rankings based on LAST YEAR. this week's games proved the top 10 needed a shakeup.
1. Northwestern - Defeated Syracuse, BC, Denver
2. Maryland - Defeated JMU, Syracuse, Denver
3. Michigan - Defeated Denver, USC, Colorado
4. Virginia - Defeated Notre Dame
5. Loyola - Defeated Florida, Hop

6. Boston College - Yes--they haven't defeated anyone yet, agreed on them.
7. Johns Hopkins - Defeated Stony Brook, USC
8. Florida - Defeated Maryland
9. Stony Brook - Defeated Syracuse
10. James Madison - Defeated North Carolina
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:27 pm
BackOfTheNet wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:31 pm Not sure why you would discount a 5-0 Penn with a JHU win under them. We'll know more when they face michigan, but the last time they played a top 10 was NCAAs last year and played a close 9-7 to BC. Their defense happens to the lowest GA average of everyone in this group. Anyone can beat anyone in the top 15.
Last year was last year. Penn's played 5 games thus far. We know nothing conclusive yet about Penn. Numbers tallied from mostly mediocre to poor teams--also meaningless. The Quakers will have legitimate opportunities to prove their mettle soon enough however: Michigan 3.16; at Maryland 3.27; Loyola 4.17. Then we'll see what their numbers look like. I don't think they'll have a Sunday afternoon stroll through the rest of the Ancient Eight either. We shall see. Good to consider though. I like Penn. Love their coach. I hope they do well.

Point was, some of the top 10 has largely played mediocre to poor teams as well. And theyre sitting in their rankings based on LAST YEAR. this week's games proved the top 10 needed a shakeup.

I think you're missing the point.. which was that teams ranked 10-15 can easily shake up the top 10. Which happened this weekend.

UVA 's notre dame win: this weekend- proving my point. they were ranked 14.
Hopkins over SB: this weekend-- also proving my point! they were ranked 12.

As far as no quality/top 10 wins i specifically referred to BC and Michigan. For the rest of them yes they can beat each other, they also have all lost to each other.

James Madison 1-1 in top 10.
Maryland 1-1 , maybe 2-1 if you consider Denver in top 10
Michigan- 1 over denver
florida 1-2.. losing record in top 10

Not considering colorado and USC quality wins.. was specifically referring to top 10. Everyone has beat teams 16-25.

Not one of these top 10 teams has proven unbeatable, or to my point, better than the next 5.
OuttaNowhereWregget

BackOfTheNet wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:11 pm

I think you're missing the point.. which was that teams ranked 10-15 can easily shake up the top 10. Which happened this weekend.

As far as no quality/top 10 wins i specifically referred to BC and Michigan. For the rest of them yes they can beat each other, they also have all lost to each other.

Michigan- 1 over denver

Not considering colorado and USC quality wins.. was specifically referring to top 10. Everyone has beat teams 16-25.

Not one of these top 10 teams has proven unbeatable, or to my point, better than the next 5.
Gotcha. I wouldn't put it past me to miss your point. I can be thick on occasion. Actually, most occasions. 🤣
Thanks for taking the time to explain it.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

This is near totally uninformed, because I just haven't seen a sufficient number of games (for example, missed the Maryland-JMU game. But here goes:

1. Northwestern -- this is the only slot I am certain about; very good team with all of the elements necessary to run the rest of the table. Beatable, but requires a pretty perfect outing to do it.

2. Boston College -- understand the misgivings to have the Eagles here, but the fact is that they have held serve against everyone they have played save No. 1.

3. Maryland -- the resume, at this point, requires a high ranking. Good wins against a solid JMU, a scattered but talented Syracuse, and the Three-Second Team, Denver.

4. Michigan -- other than Denver, I don't think Michigan has beaten anyone and I don't think it has the offense necessary to win close games against better teams. But for now, No. 4.

5. UVA -- recall the Cavs lost narrowly to Carolina; but I think their trajectory has been better since the.

6. Notre Dame -- Catholics just didn't have any mojo at home against UVA. Is this a coaching issue?

6A. Loyola -- eager to see Loyola play Syracuse, when Hounds will be 9-0 and in the Dome.

7. Syracuse -- because I am a homer, I wanted to put them higher. I actually think this is a very good assemblage of players, who don't focus the entire game. Should have beaten SBU. Should have beaten Maryland. Love KT and Defleise, but the coaching is in the spotlight here.

8. UNC -- not much to say. Heels have enough defensive skill as a unit to stay in most any game. But the anemic offense against Notre Dame has me concerned for them (OK, I am so not concerned for UNC).

9. James Madison -- beat North Carolina about 100 years ago, it seems. Not sure they are getting better. They play for the Title of Best Team This Week In Virginia on Wednesday March 20 in Charlottesville.

10. Florida - the only meaningful thing on the resume is the win over/at Maryland. Loyola and UNC pretty much handled them.

I would have put SBU in this idiot's top ten were it not for the loss to Hopkins. Denver game looms really large for this team, as the remainder of the schedule (with the possible exception of Delaware -- something good going on there?) is pretty easy.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:18 am This is near totally uninformed, because I just haven't seen a sufficient number of games (for example, missed the Maryland-JMU game. But here goes:

1. Northwestern -- this is the only slot I am certain about; very good team with all of the elements necessary to run the rest of the table. Beatable, but requires a pretty perfect outing to do it.

2. Boston College -- understand the misgivings to have the Eagles here, but the fact is that they have held serve against everyone they have played save No. 1.

3. Maryland -- the resume, at this point, requires a high ranking. Good wins against a solid JMU, a scattered but talented Syracuse, and the Three-Second Team, Denver.

4. Michigan -- other than Denver, I don't think Michigan has beaten anyone and I don't think it has the offense necessary to win close games against better teams. But for now, No. 4.

5. UVA -- recall the Cavs lost narrowly to Carolina; but I think their trajectory has been better since the.

6. Notre Dame -- Catholics just didn't have any mojo at home against UVA. Is this a coaching issue?

6A. Loyola -- eager to see Loyola play Syracuse, when Hounds will be 9-0 and in the Dome.

7. Syracuse -- because I am a homer, I wanted to put them higher. I actually think this is a very good assemblage of players, who don't focus the entire game. Should have beaten SBU. Should have beaten Maryland. Love KT and Defleise, but the coaching is in the spotlight here.

8. UNC -- not much to say. Heels have enough defensive skill as a unit to stay in most any game. But the anemic offense against Notre Dame has me concerned for them (OK, I am so not concerned for UNC).

9. James Madison -- beat North Carolina about 100 years ago, it seems. Not sure they are getting better. They play for the Title of Best Team This Week In Virginia on Wednesday March 20 in Charlottesville.

10. Florida - the only meaningful thing on the resume is the win over/at Maryland. Loyola and UNC pretty much handled them.

I would have put SBU in this idiot's top ten were it not for the loss to Hopkins. Denver game looms really large for this team, as the remainder of the schedule (with the possible exception of Delaware -- something good going on there?) is pretty easy.
Watch out of Loyola. They beat Syracuse and they could run the table. Penn and Navy should be the only other games on their schedule that could be competitive, but they would be favored in both those. Most of the Patriot league games could be running clock. They have a legit shot at being 1-3 seed, who I assume still get a bye in first round this year?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Good lord, how can Penn State still be getting votes in the USA Lax Mag poll???
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

spidey44 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:10 am Good lord, how can Penn State still be getting votes in the USA Lax Mag poll???
Guess can't consider Rutgers at 5-2 when they lost to PSU if you don't consider PSU as well?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:18 am
spidey44 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:10 am Good lord, how can Penn State still be getting votes in the USA Lax Mag poll???
Guess can't consider Rutgers at 5-2 when they lost to PSU if you don't consider PSU as well?
They shouldn't be considered either, but what do I know :?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:18 am

Hounds 0-9 vs. Cuse in the last 9 games...losing 5 straight in the dome.

'nuff said
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:33 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:18 am

Hounds 0-9 vs. Cuse in the last 9 games...losing 5 straight in the dome.

'nuff said
Sounds like it's time to stop the schneid.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:18 am 2. Boston College -- understand the misgivings to have the Eagles here, but the fact is that they have held serve against everyone they have played save No. 1.
That's a great point.
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:30 am
BackOfTheNet wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:11 pm

Michigan- 1 over denver

Gotcha. I wouldn't put it past me to miss your point. I can be thick on occasion. Actually, most occasions. 🤣
Thanks for taking the time to explain it.
After all this, however--I still maintain none of the teams I mentioned can beat Northwestern.
OuttaNowhereWregget

forthelaxofit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:17 am Watch out for Loyola. They beat Syracuse and they could run the table. Penn and Navy should be the only other games on their schedule that could be competitive, but they would be favored in both those. Most of the Patriot league games could be running clock. They have a legit shot at being 1-3 seed, who I assume still get a bye in first round this year?
This is another team that gets overhyped (albeit mildly) every year, and every year they either drop out early or get dragged in the NCAA's. I find them dull--always have. Loyola will do this year the same thing they do every year. The perennially Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time players will get exposed as being mid-tier, always mid-tier, in the NCAA's.

2023 - Lost to Northwestern 16-6 in quarters
2022 - Lost to BC 20-13 in quarters
2021 - Lost to Syracuse 20-8 in 2nd round
2019 - Lost to Princeton 17-13 in 2nd round
2018 - Lost to Navy 19-15 in 2nd round
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:20 pm
forthelaxofit wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:17 am Watch out for Loyola. They beat Syracuse and they could run the table. Penn and Navy should be the only other games on their schedule that could be competitive, but they would be favored in both those. Most of the Patriot league games could be running clock. They have a legit shot at being 1-3 seed, who I assume still get a bye in first round this year?
This is another team that gets overhyped (albeit mildly) every year, and every year they either drop out early or get dragged in the NCAA's. I find them dull--always have. Loyola will do this year the same thing they do every year. The perennially Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time players will get exposed as being mid-tier, always mid-tier, in the NCAA's.

Seriously? The only time they got “dragged” in was ‘21. ‘18 and ‘19 were far from getting “dragged”. In ‘22 they lost by 7 in the quarters to the runner up and last year they lost by 10 to the eventual champs by 10 (who btw beat YOUR Eagles by 12 in the final - talk about getting dragged).

Wasn’t it you who only a few hours ago when talking about Penn said, “last year was last year”? Now you bring up a team’s performance from 5-6 years ago?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Justalaxdad wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:03 pm

Seriously? The only time they got “dragged” in was ‘21. ‘18 and ‘19 were far from getting “dragged”. In ‘22 they lost by 7 in the quarters to the runner up and last year they lost by 10 to the eventual champs by 10 (who btw beat YOUR Eagles by 12 in the final - talk about getting dragged).

Wasn’t it you who only a few hours ago when talking about Penn said, “last year was last year”? Now you bring up a team’s performance from 5-6 years ago?
Hi dad. Coming at me all pissy, are ya? bye dad.

cltlax

Post by cltlax »

I find it interesting that a certain multi-named poster continues to have issues with many, many different members on these forums. It's almost as if they're trying to piss people off.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

cltlax wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:25 pm I find it interesting that a certain multi-named poster continues to have issues with many, many different members on these forums. It's almost as if they're trying to piss people off.
He can't respond to facts so he resorts to the tired memes. Right now he's trying to figure out which alter-ego to log in to so he can defend himself.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Justalaxdad wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:32 pm
cltlax wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:25 pm I find it interesting that a certain multi-named poster continues to have issues with many, many different members on these forums. It's almost as if they're trying to piss people off.
He can't respond to facts so he resorts to the tired memes. Right now he's trying to figure out which alter-ego to log in to so he can defend himself.
He's just a hypocrite of massive proportions and can't take it when people call him out on his bs. He is narcissism personified.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

:(

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”