Stanford Player Gets Red Card for Hit

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Shootinducks

Re: Stanford Player Gets Red Card for Hit

Post by Shootinducks »

forthelaxofit wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:50 am
Shootinducks wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:43 pm
forthelaxofit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:49 pm
Shootinducks wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:24 pm 18-19 year old kid makes a mistake. Not exactly uncommon. Will have to sit out a game and you can see on film one of the senior players clearly talking to her after the incident. She let her team down and I am sure she knows it. Plenty of punishment for a freshman IMHO. Clearly a very talented player with a bright future who just had a major learning moment. Despite the resident vindictive narcissist spin this should be a one and done.
I don't know where you daughter plays, but you think that play was "not uncommon"? How many of those hits do you see a year? Maybe a couple? In how many minutes of lacrosse in a season? That was cheap and dirty and thankfully very uncommon.

Also, have you watched the game? This same player had 3 Green Cards in the game as well. One a solid cross check to a player torso where the Yale player stayed on her feet. And another (after she turned the ball over) where she chased the girl down from behind and knocked her to the ground just 3 minutes before the Red card. Even after 3 Green cards in the game, still went after the player with a dirty hit. I hope the coach does not share you opinion and a senior talking to her is punishment enough. I have no doubt she is talented with a bright future as you say. All the more reason the coach needs to step in after a game like this and make it a true learning moment.

You are not comprehending my statement. Read slowly and carefully. 18-19 year old kids make mistakes. They make them in all facets of life. I did not say anything about a foul of this nature being common in the women’s game. Yes I watched the game. Personally I did not notice this player being overly aggressive and I thought the referees were calling a good game. If she was playing dirty as you say and with the quality of officiating I saw I presume she would have been disciplined. There are whole discussions going on about green cards. It seems that the general consensus is a green card is not being handed out for overly aggressive play but new rules designed to prevent any form of aggressive press from the team opposing the clear.
I think you need to reread my post. I said the PLAY was dirty, you are implying I said the PLAYER is dirty.

As far as green cards, it doesn’t matter what you, me or the posters on this website think of the rule. It exists. You yourself said you watched the game and the refs did a good job – and you did not claim or dispute her green cards were bad calls. There were only 5 green cards called in the game, 3 on her. So let’s talk about mistakes and consequences. I am 95% sure Yale scored on her second green card or maybe seconds after (you can go check – I don’t have time). The third one was with 3 minutes in game, team down by 1 allowing Yale to easily run another minute off clock. Both seriously hurt team’s chances to win in a 1 goal game. You don’t think someone (coach or player) at some point after her second or third green card spoke to her about penalties and playing under control? Behavior could have changed at that point, but didn’t. Two minutes after coming on field after 3rd green hits the Yale player. Now common vs uncommon. The argument of whether the game was over or not is no excuse for that type of play – ever! That hit alone – very, very, very uncommon. Consequences are meant to match the offense. For instance – speeding consequence a ticket, Drunk Driving – lost license or worse. Up to the coach to step up here.

I will say another uncommon occurrence was the Ref stopping the game toward the end of the game due to language coming from the stands. I don’t recall ever seeing that in college? I couldn’t hear it on TV, but hope the parents weren’t a factor in any of this cranking up the players.

I guess this comes down to views on behavior and parenting. My child does that in a game, I am upset and disappointed and think consequences are warranted. Apparently, as a parent you see a several second talk from a senior as punishment enough. We will not be able to convince each other so I will let it drop.

My last word on the topic is thankfully the Yale women handled it with class and went to check on their player rather than confront the Stanford player. If this were men hockey, lacrosse or football, not sure we would have been so lucky and a women lacrosse game ending brawl is not something anyone wants to see on SportsCenter.
I did read your post. I interpreted what you were implying correctly. You cited instances of play from this player that you felt were poor sportsmanship and thus part of this young ladies style of play. It produced green cards. I pointed out the green card rule is new and it is designed to reduce aggressiveness during the clear but it is not for overly aggressive plays which would still produce a yellow card or red in extreme circumstances. These were not awarded during these plays from competent officials. You also still fail to read and comprehend my words or just wish to parse and omit conveniently to support your outrage. I can't fix this but I will reiterate my point again. She is not being punished solely by a talking to from a senior, although if you have any concept of peer pressure at this age, especially from senior members on the team, you would realize this is effective. As stated earlier she is also missing the game today and she in no uncertain terms has let her team down and is certainly aware of this. I think the parents of the kid in question probably are upset that their daughter made this error and I also believe parents, coaches and all affiliated with the Stanford team feel the same. It is not a standard of play any of them want to see or expect out of someone wearing a Stanford uniform. It was publicly embarrassing, unwarranted and there is no excuse but it was committed by a very young person whose peers at that age are prone to making mistakes. It's how they learn to be responsible adults with good judgement. Regards to my parenting skills, my children are now adults who's are productive and responsible members of society. And yes they made plenty of mistakes getting there but I am very proud of the adults they have become. Lastly, good luck to your bulldogs this season.
sanelaxparent

Post by sanelaxparent »

"I will say another uncommon occurrence was the Ref stopping the game toward the end of the game due to language coming from the stands. I don’t recall ever seeing that in college? I couldn’t hear it on TV, but hope the parents weren’t a factor in any of this cranking up the players."

That was jeering and foul language from one of the Yale Mens teams who were on the opposite side of the stadium. The ref warned the Yale bench that a card would be issued if they didnt stop.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

This redshirt frosh attacker, and starter, (not bad for a veritable rookie) also scored 2 goals and 2 assists vs Yale. She also rode hard from what I saw. So...she didn't only deal out a nasty hit. She blew it in the heat of the moment a few times (3 greens 1 red) yes--I don't think anyone here is justifying what she did at the end of the game. She'll learn from it and everyone will move on. Reign in the aggression a bit and you have a promising young player.

And the let-down-the-team angle? Technically, okay. But the Cardinal won't need all hands on deck to dispatch Holy Cross, (even with a Belichick coaching...)
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

If the girl had the ball, probably a yellow card. Her not having the ball results in a red card. I think that is a bigger issue than whether happened before or after horn.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Shootinducks wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:54 am
Shootinducks wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:24 pm 18-19 year old kid makes a mistake. Not exactly uncommon. Will have to sit out a game and you can see on film one of the senior players clearly talking to her after the incident. She let her team down and I am sure she knows it. Plenty of punishment for a freshman IMHO. Clearly a very talented player with a bright future who just had a major learning moment. Despite the resident vindictive narcissist spin this should be a one and done.
I don't know where you daughter plays, but you think that play was "not uncommon"? How many of those hits do you see a year? Maybe a couple? In how many minutes of lacrosse in a season? That was cheap and dirty and thankfully very uncommon.

Also, have you watched the game? This same player had 3 Green Cards in the game as well. One a solid cross check to a player torso where the Yale player stayed on her feet. And another (after she turned the ball over) where she chased the girl down from behind and knocked her to the ground just 3 minutes before the Red card. Even after 3 Green cards in the game, still went after the player with a dirty hit. I hope the coach does not share you opinion and a senior talking to her is punishment enough. I have no doubt she is talented with a bright future as you say. All the more reason the coach needs to step in after a game like this and make it a true learning moment.

You are not comprehending my statement. Read slowly and carefully. 18-19 year old kids make mistakes. They make them in all facets of life. I did not say anything about a foul of this nature being common in the women’s game. Yes I watched the game. Personally I did not notice this player being overly aggressive and I thought the referees were calling a good game. If she was playing dirty as you say and with the quality of officiating I saw I presume she would have been disciplined. There are whole discussions going on about green cards. It seems that the general consensus is a green card is not being handed out for overly aggressive play but new rules designed to prevent any form of aggressive press from the team opposing the clear.
I think you need to reread my post. I said the PLAY was dirty, you are implying I said the PLAYER is dirty.

As far as green cards, it doesn’t matter what you, me or the posters on this website think of the rule. It exists. You yourself said you watched the game and the refs did a good job – and you did not claim or dispute her green cards were bad calls. There were only 5 green cards called in the game, 3 on her. So let’s talk about mistakes and consequences. I am 95% sure Yale scored on her second green card or maybe seconds after (you can go check – I don’t have time). The third one was with 3 minutes in game, team down by 1 allowing Yale to easily run another minute off clock. Both seriously hurt team’s chances to win in a 1 goal game. You don’t think someone (coach or player) at some point after her second or third green card spoke to her about penalties and playing under control? Behavior could have changed at that point, but didn’t. Two minutes after coming on field after 3rd green hits the Yale player. Now common vs uncommon. The argument of whether the game was over or not is no excuse for that type of play – ever! That hit alone – very, very, very uncommon. Consequences are meant to match the offense. For instance – speeding consequence a ticket, Drunk Driving – lost license or worse. Up to the coach to step up here.

I will say another uncommon occurrence was the Ref stopping the game toward the end of the game due to language coming from the stands. I don’t recall ever seeing that in college? I couldn’t hear it on TV, but hope the parents weren’t a factor in any of this cranking up the players.

I guess this comes down to views on behavior and parenting. My child does that in a game, I am upset and disappointed and think consequences are warranted. Apparently, as a parent you see a several second talk from a senior as punishment enough. We will not be able to convince each other so I will let it drop.

My last word on the topic is thankfully the Yale women handled it with class and went to check on their player rather than confront the Stanford player. If this were men hockey, lacrosse or football, not sure we would have been so lucky and a women lacrosse game ending brawl is not something anyone wants to see on SportsCenter.
I did read your post. I interpreted what you were implying correctly. You cited instances of play from this player that you felt were poor sportsmanship and thus part of this young ladies style of play. It produced green cards. I pointed out the green card rule is new and it is designed to reduce aggressiveness during the clear but it is not for overly aggressive plays which would still produce a yellow card or red in extreme circumstances. These were not awarded during these plays from competent officials. You also still fail to read and comprehend my words or just wish to parse and omit conveniently to support your outrage. I can't fix this but I will reiterate my point again. She is not being punished solely by a talking to from a senior, although if you have any concept of peer pressure at this age, especially from senior members on the team, you would realize this is effective. As stated earlier she is also missing the game today and she in no uncertain terms has let her team down and is certainly aware of this. I think the parents of the kid in question probably are upset that their daughter made this error and I also believe parents, coaches and all affiliated with the Stanford team feel the same. It is not a standard of play any of them want to see or expect out of someone wearing a Stanford uniform. It was publicly embarrassing, unwarranted and there is no excuse but it was committed by a very young person whose peers at that age are prone to making mistakes. It's how they learn to be responsible adults with good judgement. Regards to my parenting skills, my children are now adults who's are productive and responsible members of society. And yes they made plenty of mistakes getting there but I am very proud of the adults they have become. Lastly, good luck to your bulldogs this season.
18-19 year old kid???? She is a young adult. A young kid is 5, 6,7 or 8 years old. Don't think it was a mistake, it was incredibly poor judgement by a young adult.
Hello

Post by Hello »

I was at the game and believe this does deserve its own thread. The hit was ridiculous. It was against a very good offensive Yale player who had just completed a very good game on both draw controls and points. She had clearly given the ball to the goalie which the other player could see. And if you watch the clip you see her walk away afterwards, leaving the opposing player lying on the ground with no ball in play. It was a terrible way to end what had been a competitive fun game to watch. And yes, she did have some other questionable hits that seemed to be more related to what happened to her on the field than just game strategy. I find it strange that supposedly an announcer mentioned profanity from the stands which I did not hear from either side of spectators (Yale or Stanford). To suggest that might have ramped up players to encourage illegal hits is just very wrong.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seems to me that this choice was way, way outside the bounds of both safety and sportsmanship. I don't think the excuse of being a freshman in college is remotely correct. Players at this level have played many years of highly competitive sports, adrenaline high, winning and losing, physical play, jawing, whatever... so plenty of 'learning opportunities' previously.

Of course, that doesn't mean the end of this young woman's reputation, but it is indeed a stain. It should take time to recover, and that will only happen if there's real contrition. Punishment isn't the point, sincere contrition is what matters.

I'd have the same response to a men's player hitting an opponent without the ball and away from the ball gratuitously at the end of a game. It doesn't matter whether before or after the horn, there's absolutely no benefit to the hit, and egregious given no expectation of such.

Though I want flags (men), cards (women), thrown for late hits and dangerous hits, I do understand a pop happening right after a shot. Bang bang, don't run through this crease kind of adrenaline mistake; throw the flag/card for time etc....but this is way beyond that, it's just being ticked to have lost the game.

True contrition is key.

Hopefully that will be there already.
If not, then no place on the field until then.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:21 pm Seems to me that this choice was way, way outside the bounds of both safety and sportsmanship. I don't think the excuse of being a freshman in college is remotely correct. Players at this level have played many years of highly competitive sports, adrenaline high, winning and losing, physical play, jawing, whatever... so plenty of 'learning opportunities' previously.

Of course, that doesn't mean the end of this young woman's reputation, but it is indeed a stain. It should take time to recover, and that will only happen if there's real contrition. Punishment isn't the point, sincere contrition is what matters.

I'd have the same response to a men's player hitting an opponent without the ball and away from the ball gratuitously at the end of a game. It doesn't matter whether before or after the horn, there's absolutely no benefit to the hit, and egregious given no expectation of such.

Though I want flags (men), cards (women), thrown for late hits and dangerous hits, I do understand a pop happening right after a shot. Bang bang, don't run through this crease kind of adrenaline mistake; throw the flag/card for time etc....but this is way beyond that, it's just being ticked to have lost the game.

True contrition is key.

Hopefully that will be there already.
If not, then no place on the field until then.
+1
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

I agree that the Yale team really does a good job of keeping cool after the hit (maybe the win helped). Last year in winter league my daughter was fouled hard. The girl got a red card & the rest of the game got out of hand as our team focused on retribution (and that's 10-11 year olds). Glad to see the composure here but it could have got ugly.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WLaxdad wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:04 pm

I agree that the Yale team really does a good job of keeping cool after the hit (maybe the win helped). Last year in winter league my daughter was fouled hard. The girl got a red card & the rest of the game got out of hand as our team focused on retribution (and that's 10-11 year olds). Glad to see the composure here but it could have got ugly.
Hopefully the 10-11 year olds got some stern coaching afterwards and learned that 'retribution' does no one any good ! Want 'revenge'? go score more goals...
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

If your son put this hit on someone in college would there be this discussion?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:31 pm If your son put this hit on someone in college would there be this discussion?
Yes - got to the D1 Men's thread and look up Johns Hopkins. They have video and screen shots of a hit in the Loyola game. So yes it would be discussed. It's on page 101.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I will preface my comment by saying that the Stanford player delivered a cheap shot and deserved the red card. After watching both video angles several times, however, my guess is that the Stanford player believed that the Yale defender still possessed the ball when she cross checked her. Prior to the hit, the Yale player had crossed behind the net, blocking the Stanford woman’s view of transferring the ball to the Yale goalie. When the Yale player emerged without the ball, she was making a cradling motion with her arms and stick that I doubt was an attempt at a hidden ball trick, but was just the natural motion of running with both hands on the stick. Since the last thing she was expecting at that point was a cross check, I think it helps explain why she went down in a heap from a very firm, but not vicious hit from the Stanford player. She tumbled because she was not bracing for impact. Again, that doesn’t excuse the Stanford player’s actions, since she is responsible for knowing who has the ball before delivering a check, but I do think it mitigates her actions somewhat.
#AbrahamZapruder #TonyRoma
DMac

Post by DMac »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:31 pm If your son put this hit on someone in college would there be this discussion?
Unquestionably, yes. Ad nauseam, also unquestionably.
Hello

Post by Hello »

Please don't try to excuse the behavior. Everyone at the game knew the goalie had the ball. You were not there. Just look at her body language walking away after the hit. She got a green and a red card in the last few minutes of the game. First she made a cheap shot at the defender in transition causing a green card that meant they were man down for a third of the final three minutes of the game. Then she made a bad pass that was almost a turnover and there was also a missed shot attempt in the last few minutes. Add to that not winning the game and boom. Bad behavior.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxfan9999 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:10 am If the girl had the ball, probably a yellow card. Her not having the ball results in a red card. I think that is a bigger issue than whether happened before or after horn.
Red card regardless...having the ball in your crosse does not make a cross-check less of a foul in severity. That is the Men's game...
Last edited by Dr. Tact on Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Women lacrosse players understand sportsmanship probably more than any other sport. Lacrosse is a tight knit community and alot of these girls grew up playing with eachother, they know eachother, alot have friends on other teams. So when there is a blatantly dirty play, it stands out. And i'm sorry to say but this was a dirty play. Yes maybe out of frustration. Perhaps they were chirping at eachother all game long and emotions got the better of her. Still doesn't excuse it. Let's hope she learns from it
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:15 pm
laxfan9999 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:10 am If the girl had the ball, probably a yellow card. Her not having the ball results in a red card. I think that is a bigger issue than whether happened before or after horn.
Red card regardless...having the ball in your crosse does not make a cross-check less of a foul severity. That is the Men's game...
Exactly - an intentional cross check is just as illegal either way. This sort of contact/hit shouldn't happen in the women's game, period.
Hello

Post by Hello »

What I think is also interesting is that sportsmanship being paramount, players also know their coaches. And this player was a red shirt freshman who had been around her coach for several semesters. You know what is acceptable and unacceptable both off and on the field and no one wants to get in the crosshairs of the HC.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

NutmegCrunch wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:37 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:15 pm
Red card regardless...having the ball in your crosse does not make a cross-check less of a foul severity. That is the Men's game...
Exactly - an intentional cross check is just as illegal either way. This sort of contact/hit shouldn't happen in the women's game, period.
+1. It should be a red card regardless of whether the attacker had the ball. Furthermore, the fact that this was committed as time expires, knowing this makes retribution hard makes the play even more cowardly.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”