Stanford Player Gets Red Card for Hit

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxfan8019

Stanford Player Gets Red Card for Hit

Post by laxfan8019 »

This was wild. Yale’s player didn’t even have the ball.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3d10xuLZK8 ... k0ZDlwOQ==

Also, shoutout to Lacrosse Extras for always posting what none of the other accounts will. If you want the best coverage, follow them.
spidey44

Re: Stanford Player Gets Red Card for Hit

Post by spidey44 »

laxfan8019 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:18 pm This was wild. Yale’s player didn’t even have the ball.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3d10xuLZK8 ... k0ZDlwOQ==

Also, shoutout to Lacrosse Extras for always posting what none of the other accounts will. If you want the best coverage, follow them.
Little discussion on this in the "Games Today" thread. Dirty hit for sure. First time I watched I didn't realize she flipped the ball to the goalie.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

As a coach do you do a self-imposed suspension? Just a really dirty play.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:17 am As a coach do you do a self-imposed suspension? Just a really dirty play.
Kind of doubtful that Coach will do anything more than the rules strictly require.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:22 am
Brownlax wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:17 am As a coach do you do a self-imposed suspension? Just a really dirty play.
Kind of doubtful that Coach will do anything more than the rules strictly require.
+1 ^ As mentioned on the "Games Today" thread, this player is the Standford HC's flavor of the month. And as such, is the cornerstone of the attack this season. Much to the frustration of #33, I am sure. Cue the transfer portal :lol:
Shootinducks

Post by Shootinducks »

18-19 year old kid makes a mistake. Not exactly uncommon. Will have to sit out a game and you can see on film one of the senior players clearly talking to her after the incident. She let her team down and I am sure she knows it. Plenty of punishment for a freshman IMHO. Clearly a very talented player with a bright future who just had a major learning moment. Despite the resident vindictive narcissist spin this should be a one and done.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Shootinducks wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:24 pm 18-19 year old kid makes a mistake. Not exactly uncommon. Will have to sit out a game and you can see on film one of the senior players clearly talking to her after the incident. She let her team down and I am sure she knows it. Plenty of punishment for a freshman IMHO. Clearly a very talented player with a bright future who just had a major learning moment. Despite the resident vindictive narcissist spin this should be a one and done.
Now that's a wise and reasonable perspective. Well said.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

Shootinducks wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:24 pm 18-19 year old kid makes a mistake. Not exactly uncommon. Will have to sit out a game and you can see on film one of the senior players clearly talking to her after the incident. She let her team down and I am sure she knows it. Plenty of punishment for a freshman IMHO. Clearly a very talented player with a bright future who just had a major learning moment. Despite the resident vindictive narcissist spin this should be a one and done.
Well said!
sanelaxparent

Post by sanelaxparent »

+1 and should not be its own thread on this forum
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

I don't know where you daughter plays, but you think that play was "not uncommon"? How many of those hits do you see a year? Maybe a couple? In how many minutes of lacrosse in a season? That was cheap and dirty and thankfully very uncommon.

Also, have you watched the game? This same player had 3 Green Cards in the game as well. One a solid cross check to a player torso where the Yale player stayed on her feet. And another (after she turned the ball over) where she chased the girl down from behind and knocked her to the ground just 3 minutes before the Red card. Even after 3 Green cards in the game, still went after the player with a dirty hit. I hope the coach does not share you opinion and a senior talking to her is punishment enough. I have no doubt she is talented with a bright future as you say. All the more reason the coach needs to step in after a game like this and make it a true learning moment.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

sanelaxparent wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:18 pm
+1 and should not be its own thread on this forum
I think I agree that it shouldn't have its own thread on the forum. But the kid -- and here, just my opinion -- is properly chastised for this blatant act of violence. My guess is that she has played sports long enough and played enough games in all of those sports to understand -- before it happened -- that this was basically an assault on another player, who didn't have the ball, who was away from the focus of play, and who was totally unprotected because that kid was playing within the norms of the sport. "Not exactly uncommon"? Beg to differ. I have been around and been involved in lacrosse for almost twenty years now, and have coached and watched countless women's and girl's games. And I have only seen that level of stupidity a very small handful of times. The "learning moment" is more effective if the malefactor learns by the opprobrium of the community. Indulgence for this stuff normalizes it. I would -- I hope politely and respectfully -- suggest we don't allow that to happen.
Shootinducks

Post by Shootinducks »

forthelaxofit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:49 pm
I don't know where you daughter plays, but you think that play was "not uncommon"? How many of those hits do you see a year? Maybe a couple? In how many minutes of lacrosse in a season? That was cheap and dirty and thankfully very uncommon.

Also, have you watched the game? This same player had 3 Green Cards in the game as well. One a solid cross check to a player torso where the Yale player stayed on her feet. And another (after she turned the ball over) where she chased the girl down from behind and knocked her to the ground just 3 minutes before the Red card. Even after 3 Green cards in the game, still went after the player with a dirty hit. I hope the coach does not share you opinion and a senior talking to her is punishment enough. I have no doubt she is talented with a bright future as you say. All the more reason the coach needs to step in after a game like this and make it a true learning moment.

You are not comprehending my statement. Read slowly and carefully. 18-19 year old kids make mistakes. They make them in all facets of life. I did not say anything about a foul of this nature being common in the women’s game. Yes I watched the game. Personally I did not notice this player being overly aggressive and I thought the referees were calling a good game. If she was playing dirty as you say and with the quality of officiating I saw I presume she would have been disciplined. There are whole discussions going on about green cards. It seems that the general consensus is a green card is not being handed out for overly aggressive play but new rules designed to prevent any form of aggressive press from the team opposing the clear.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Shootinducks wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:43 pm

You are not comprehending my statement. Read slowly and carefully. 18-19 year old kids make mistakes. They make them in all facets of life. I did not say anything about a foul of this nature being common in the women’s game. Yes I watched the game. Personally I did not notice this player being overly aggressive and I thought the referees were calling a good game. If she was playing dirty as you say and with the quality of officiating I saw I presume she would have been disciplined. There are whole discussions going on about green cards. It seems that the general consensus is a green card is not being handed out for overly aggressive play but new rules designed to prevent any form of aggressive press from the team opposing the clear.
I agree. I also wonder if the player knew she didn’t have the ball which seems to have colored the card. I had to watch the clip and second time to see that. Still a cheap shot to be sure. But in the end of a tie game it makes it more understandable.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

lax410 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:32 pm

I agree. I also wonder if the player knew she didn’t have the ball which seems to have colored the card. I had to watch the clip and second time to see that. Still a cheap shot to be sure. But in the end of a tie game it makes it more understandable.
The game was not tied. Yale won the game. Horn sounded.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:51 pm
lax410 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:32 pm

The game was not tied. Yale won the game. Horn sounded.
2 seconds left when she made the hit. Stanford has just lost the ball and was down by one.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Watch the clip. The horn had not yet sounded when she applied the hit. There was still time on the clock.

forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 am Watch the clip. The horn had not yet sounded when she applied the hit. There was still time on the clock.

Game over or not - no excuse or justification. You are better than that
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

I think you need to reread my post. I said the PLAY was dirty, you are implying I said the PLAYER is dirty.

As far as green cards, it doesn’t matter what you, me or the posters on this website think of the rule. It exists. You yourself said you watched the game and the refs did a good job – and you did not claim or dispute her green cards were bad calls. There were only 5 green cards called in the game, 3 on her. So let’s talk about mistakes and consequences. I am 95% sure Yale scored on her second green card or maybe seconds after (you can go check – I don’t have time). The third one was with 3 minutes in game, team down by 1 allowing Yale to easily run another minute off clock. Both seriously hurt team’s chances to win in a 1 goal game. You don’t think someone (coach or player) at some point after her second or third green card spoke to her about penalties and playing under control? Behavior could have changed at that point, but didn’t. Two minutes after coming on field after 3rd green hits the Yale player. Now common vs uncommon. The argument of whether the game was over or not is no excuse for that type of play – ever! That hit alone – very, very, very uncommon. Consequences are meant to match the offense. For instance – speeding consequence a ticket, Drunk Driving – lost license or worse. Up to the coach to step up here.

I will say another uncommon occurrence was the Ref stopping the game toward the end of the game due to language coming from the stands. I don’t recall ever seeing that in college? I couldn’t hear it on TV, but hope the parents weren’t a factor in any of this cranking up the players.

I guess this comes down to views on behavior and parenting. My child does that in a game, I am upset and disappointed and think consequences are warranted. Apparently, as a parent you see a several second talk from a senior as punishment enough. We will not be able to convince each other so I will let it drop.

My last word on the topic is thankfully the Yale women handled it with class and went to check on their player rather than confront the Stanford player. If this were men hockey, lacrosse or football, not sure we would have been so lucky and a women lacrosse game ending brawl is not something anyone wants to see on SportsCenter.
OuttaNowhereWregget

forthelaxofit wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:44 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:23 am Watch the clip. The horn had not yet sounded when she applied the hit. There was still time on the clock.
Game over or not - no excuse or justification. You are better than that
Who is better than that--the player?

Whatever the answer, I think we've had just about enough of the self-righteous indignation from those who are spouting it. Which one among us hasn't done mindless things in our late teenage years or early 20's? Which one among us hasn't hurt another human being, either with our words or actions or physical interactions? Step right up – I'd like to shake your hand and acknowledge that you are a rarity in the long line of human nature. We screw up. We make bad decisions in the heat of the moment. Enough already.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

I stand corrected - I thought horn had sounded.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”