laxlaxlax wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:32 pm
laxlaxlax wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:02 pm Harvard up 5-2 over Yale
7-6 to Harvard at the half
Yale 14 Harvard 10 - FINAL!

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/game/76751/2024
laxlaxlax

Re: Games Today

Post by laxlaxlax »

According to IL Women, today we have a busy day of conference championship games:

Denver v UConn at 12pm
Robert Morris v Detroit Mercy at 12pm
Stony Brook v Drexel at 12.30pm
Jacksonville v Coastal Carolina at 1pm
Florida v JMU at 1pm
Sacred Heart v LIU at 1pm
Loyola v Navy at 2.30pm
Stanford v Colorado at 3pm
Northwestern v Penn State at 5.30pm
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

laxlaxlax wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:25 am According to IL Women, today we have a busy day of conference championship games:

Denver v UConn at 12pm
Florida v JMU at 1pm
Loyola v Navy at 2.30pm
And the channels they're on: (Bold = televised)

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/tv-listings
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

Looking at the schedule - what an incredible day of womens lacrosse! (whispers - but I don’t have all these different networks )
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

Looking at the schedule - what an incredible day of womens lacrosse! (whispers - but I don’t have all these different networks )
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

hmmm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:45 am
GratefulRed wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:09 am
hmmm wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:20 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:12 pm
Lax101 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 3:55 pm To say they are beatable is fairly obvious and not sure it takes perfect game plan and execution - granted both have to be very good. Lost to ND, lost to Penn State, and nailbiters that could have gone either way vs Michigan and Hopkins. Penn State and Hopkins are not top 10 teams. Something may be off slightly at NU. Did you watch the game? Any onbservations. They lost the draw by quite a few which is unusual..
I watched the second half. In my view, NU defense and goalkeeping kept them in this game. Lost a lot of draws, and the NU defense did a lot to bring that back into balance. The game was, I think, exceptionally physical -- I'd be interested in hmmm's and Grateful Red's view of that, given the fact that I think their daughters are pretty well engaged in experienced in high level defensive lacrosse.

NU will play better in the NCAA tournament, and that is where I am talking about the perfect game from someone to defeat them. I could certainly be wrong. But KAH is a very able coach. And you could see that she was appreciative of the effort today, but not the execution. NU still the overall favorite, maybe even by a lot. But beatable.
The game was very physical. NU always plays very physical and I think Hop learned from the first game and realized they needed to match the intensity on defense. Obviously, they came out a little too physical and took 4 cards in the first 16 mins. Playing at NU is tough. There's a reason they've won 45 straight games at home. There were definitely some situations NU could have been carded for, such as the blatant shot to the side of the head on 27, that the refs ignored. Considering cards were 6-0, 5 yellow and 1 green, Hop really hung in there and hopefully the girls are coming home proud of the effort they put forth. Lax101 saying Michigan and Hop aren't top 10 teams and questioning why NU struggled with them is pretty disrespectful of UM and Hop. Both those teams have shown through the season that they can beat anyone they play.(Not to mention they're 6 and 7 in RPI so they actually are top 10 teams)
Sports can be so cruel. One day you score the gw in OT, the next you foul out in the first half. Tough day for Hop #12. And at least one (if not both) was a dive, imo. First one, not a good play extending arms though I think there was embellishment (NU bench seemed to be entertained). Second play, she hustles all the way back and checks a hanging stick…

To hmmm’s point, Hopkins landed body blows early and it was effective. But cross checks and swinging sticks get the officials’ attention. Defenders are more likely to get away with hard fouls if the stick is quiet/vertical and the contact is initiated with the body, as in the play that knocked #27 out of the game. Again, I’m curious…is there any aspect of that play the offensive coach can challenge so refs can see that on the replay? In the ACC final, SU coach KT asked for a review of the goal in which her defender was hit with a stick follow-through. The challenge was for a goal circle violation, even though the play was nowhere near the crease. She won the challenge because the foul was seen on the replay. In the B1G game #27 scored, so I don’t know if there is anything coach TM can challenge? What if he challenged his own goal?

On the whole, I thought the refs did a nice job letting them play. Defenses were allowed to play physically and many dives weren’t rewarded. Players weren’t bailed out with fouls when forcing into traffic. Ground ball scrums were decided by the players. Touch fouls between the 30s didn’t disrupt flow. Still plenty of offense and goals. Great game.
If you watch the replay from the second angle on the hit on 27 she was basically punched in the face. I don't know how to post video unfortunately but it was blatant and a pretty prominent head coach thought it was a borderline red card. While I had heard that the Big Ten had chosen to use replay for the tournament while it was rejected for the regular season games, I have not seen anything reviewed in any of the 4 B1G tourney games yet so I'm assuming replay is not being used.

I agree the refs let them play and did not reward a lot of the flopping that went on yesterday. I will ask again though, it's great to not reward them, but a rule was put in this year to give a green card for simulation or embellishment. I've still yet to see one given out. Why isn't the rule being enforced? If a girl goes down and the ref doesn't see a foul, she's embellishing.

I had 3 problems with the refs yesterday, not including that cards were 6-0.

1. The aforementioned hit on 27 on her goal that put Hop up 10-9. It was a blatant shot to the head as she was shooting. At a MINIMUM, it should have been a yellow card and Hop should have been rewarded with possession after the goal as the foul was committed as she shot. If you watch the replay, the ref didn't even call a foul and there was no discussion on whether it should have been a card and possession awarded. There was no ref conference at all on the play.
2. On one of Madison Taylor's goals, she clearly stepped in the crease and then fell into it. The ref right there waved off the goal but was overruled by a ref with a worse angle saying she was pushed. If you watch the replay she was barely touched and stepped on the line before she actually threw herself into the crease. This is another play that should have been reviewed, so my assumption is that replay wasn't an option. Rewatched the game this morning and realized the 2 announcers were too busy fawning over NU all game to even mention that the goal was waved off initially or mention anything about replay.
3. When the game was 12-11 late, Doucette made a save and the ball was sitting in front of the crease. Hopkins #37 had a free path to the GB and as she went to pick it up was pushed directly from behind causing her to fall over the ball. NU ended up picking up the ball and scoring a goal to make it 13-11. It was a clear push from behind.

I'm sure NU fans will say Hopkins was knocking NU players down and it wasn't being called so it is what it is. I will say, I've never seen Izzy flop before like she did yesterday. Maybe she was frustrated because Hopkins had a decent plan for her as shown by her stat line of 1 G on 9 shots and 6 TO.
Can’t say there is anything here I disagree with (I’m sure you’ll sleep better) and I share your frustration watching the ‘Cats getting the breaks. Gonna have to overcome a lot to beat NU in the playoffs (esp at home). Used to tell my kids that you will have to win by 3 goals in order to come away with the W against the champs. As you and others suggest, though, there are signs of cracks in the foundation in Evanston. Hopkins spotted them 20 turnovers and 7 cards, and NU still needed some luck and couple huge saves to survive.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

laxlaxlax wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:25 am According to IL Women, today we have a busy day of conference championship games:

Denver v UConn at 12pm
Florida v JMU at 1pm
Loyola v Navy at 2.30pm
Sad Detroit Mercy lost to Robert Morse.

This Jacksonville vs Coastal Game is pretty good! On to the 4th!
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Any updates on if this JMU/UF game is going to happen today?
DMac

Post by DMac »

spidey44 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:54 pm Any updates on if this JMU/UF game is going to happen today?
Started 2 hrs 10 min late.
2-1 Fla, 4 min in.
eastcoastlax

Post by eastcoastlax »

got to watch florida for the first time , thought i was watching stony brook , flop city.
DMac

Post by DMac »

JMU in big trouble, down 9-15 heading into the 4th.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

eastcoastlax wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 4:58 pm got to watch florida for the first time , thought i was watching stony brook , flop city.

That's funny. I don't watch Florida often, but when I do there is an attacker I've thought embellishes contact a lot.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

CMM is actually addressing it right now, lol.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gametime, dinner's on.
NU, 16-8.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Is it too late to flip that?
NU's completely lost their mojo, not in rhythm, not in a flow.
Been struggling with that a little lately.
Scane with 1.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

DMac wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:46 pm Is it too late to flip that?
Scane with 1.
Momentum flipped again!

4-4 all now.

Joe
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Scane with 1.
I don't know about the score, but I do think you have the result right. We'll see; 4-4, Scane with three so far.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:11 pm
Scane with 1.
I don't know about the score, but I do think you have the result right. We'll see; 4-4, Scane with three so far.
How many falls for Taylor so far? 5? wow shes on the ground a lot
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

OMG, what a killer. lightning delay with 1:36 left in 4th. :shock:

Cats leading 14 -10. Min. 30 min delay.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”