Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxlaxlax

Re: Games Today

Post by laxlaxlax »

ACClaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 pm
Hello wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 pm Well yes Denver had a down game Saturday and Yale had a down game Monday. We will see how it all plays out. While Denver has lost an important player to injury, they have plenty of depth given their steady supply of grad students and grad transfers while Yale is starting four freshmen and does not have the luxury of fifth and sixth year players. Overall it was a well fought game with some mistakes made by both teams but fewer by Denver in the end. Yale also does not have the experience that a team like Denver has, coming off a final four, so will definitely have to find their footing on the larger stage going forward.
It’s a little misleading to say Yale and other Ivies do not have the benefit of 5th year players as they have plenty of 2019 high school grads who have been out of high school for 5 years .
Also having grad transfers doesn’t necessarily translate into success.

Also the observation about the freshman starters, did they play more freshmen than usual in this game?

Yale has 17 in the junior class I think someone said on here recently, so I would have thought that they have a good amount of experience/leadership within that group.

I’m sure they learnt from the game yesterday and will head into their final Ivy game excited since they likely win the regular season outright this weekend as their remaining game is against Columbia.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

ACClaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 pm
Hello wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 pm Well yes Denver had a down game Saturday and Yale had a down game Monday. We will see how it all plays out. While Denver has lost an important player to injury, they have plenty of depth given their steady supply of grad students and grad transfers while Yale is starting four freshmen and does not have the luxury of fifth and sixth year players. Overall it was a well fought game with some mistakes made by both teams but fewer by Denver in the end. Yale also does not have the experience that a team like Denver has, coming off a final four, so will definitely have to find their footing on the larger stage going forward.
It’s a little misleading to say Yale and other Ivies do not have the benefit of 5th year players as they have plenty of 2019 high school grads who have been out of high school for 5 years .
Yeah, quite a few Ivy players took a gap year to be able to play as a senior. So while they may not have 4 years of experience playing, they are older.
Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

Thankfully the “grad” part of grad transfer will start to fade next season a bit, and the only ones doing it will be women that missed a season due to injury.

That being said Stony Brook, Denver and the ACC / Big 10 will continue to get the great transfers (and some meh) and the Ivies will not.

Of the 50 Tewaaraton finalists across Men and Women - 24 are grad students.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse-L'ville, a combined 1 for 11 on FPSs.
As a coach I'd have nightmares for a week over this.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Bystanders wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm Thankfully the “grad” part of grad transfer will start to fade next season a bit, and the only ones doing it will be women that missed a season due to injury.

That being said Stony Brook, Denver and the ACC / Big 10 will continue to get the great transfers (and some meh) and the Ivies will not.

There will be Ivy transfers still due to them shutting down for 2 years. Niki Miles from Penn for instance.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Let’s go Tigers!
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

Bystanders wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm Thankfully the “grad” part of grad transfer will start to fade next season a bit, and the only ones doing it will be women that missed a season due to injury.

There will be a lot of 5th years for a while - and not just due to injury. Plenty of schools are still redshirting many of their freshman classes because they know they won’t play (no injuries). Time will tell if this practice will stick around permanently at some schools or fade in time with the COVID years phasing out.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

That’s interesting. Would like to know if those 24 were on the list last year. I would imagine most. If so, then no big deal.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

According to IL women, today we have the following scheduled:

Stony brook v Stanford 3pm
Colgate v Army 5pm
Navy v American 6pm
Holy Cross v BU 6pm
Loyola v Bucknell 6pm
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:38 am

There will be a lot of 5th years for a while - and not just due to injury. Plenty of schools are still redshirting many of their freshman classes because they know they won’t play (no injuries). Time will tell if this practice will stick around permanently at some schools or fade in time with the COVID years phasing out.
For most players, this was the last class to ever get a Covid year. There will be a few Ivey players who took 1 years off, but the number of players eligible for a 5th year will shrink dramatically next year. Limited to true redshirt or other injury (ie, back to pre2020 levels).
I’ll be glad when all the whining about the Covid players is finally over.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Stony Brook just beat Stanford 11-10 in OT.

Crazy ending - SBU gets a YC at the end of regulation deep in the Stanford defensive zone. Stanford then starts with the ball below goal line extended and a woman up.

Stanford player with the ball is double-teamed - that means 3 Stanford players should be open. Stanford tries to run the ball out rather than passing it. The player gets stripped of the ball by Masera but a foul is called - Stanford gets the ball back. The same player tries to run it out again and gets stripped a 2nd time and SBU gets the ball.

Stanford sinks back into a zone, and they run one cutter from up top and make one pass for the game-winning goal. Stanford gets caught completely ball-watching.

Not a good way to end the game for Stanford - congrats to SBU for being aggressive.

Also - almost had a little controversy on the game-winning goal. Multiple SBU players dropped their sticks. I'm not sure how the ref determined who's stick to check. I'm also nit sure of the rule when this happens. I thought I had seen this once before and the refs called no goal.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:27 pm Stony Brook just beat Stanford 11-10 in OT.

Crazy ending - SBU gets a YC at the end of regulation deep in the Stanford defensive zone. Stanford then starts with the ball below goal line extended and a woman up.

Stanford player with the ball is double-teamed - that means 3 Stanford players should be open. Stanford tries to run the ball out rather than passing it. The player gets stripped of the ball by Masera but a foul is called - Stanford gets the ball back. The same player tries to run it out again and gets stripped a 2nd time and SBU gets the ball.

Stanford sinks back into a zone, and they run one cutter from up top and make one pass for the game-winning goal. Stanford gets caught completely ball-watching.

Not a good way to end the game for Stanford - congrats to SBU for being aggressive.

Also - almost had a little controversy on the game-winning goal. Multiple SBU players dropped their sticks. I'm not sure how the ref determined who's stick to check. I'm also nit sure of the rule when this happens. I thought I had seen this once before and the refs called no goal.
It wasn’t that deep in the defensive zone . And masera tripped up #20 and she should have been given the YC. I was shocked at how close this game was ….i don’t expect SB to go far in NCAAs . When Masera leaves after this year SB gonna be a up. A creek without a paddle . Also the constant falling and flopping by SB is tough to watch.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Was this televised?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:41 pm Was this televised?
It was on their wacky Flo channel
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ah, thanks.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:40 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:27 pm Stony Brook just beat Stanford 11-10 in OT.

It wasn’t that deep in the defensive zone . And masera tripped up #20 and she should have been given the YC. I was shocked at how close this game was ….i don’t expect SB to go far in NCAAs . When Masera leaves after this year SB gonna be a up. A creek without a paddle . Also the constant falling and flopping by SB is tough to watch.
The ball started below the goal line extended - not sure how much deeper you are going to get except the actual endline.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:41 pm Was this televised?
The game was streamed for FREE on YouTube.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:40 pm

They’ll go as far as always Nowhere
And I heard a rumor he may be retiring Not sure how credible but this time
Of year lots of chatter
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Interesting to hear the announcer list all the Loyola starters still in the game at 13-0 - Definitely was a hint of sarcasm there.

15-0 as Boyle gets her 6th 🙄
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Sleepdrifter wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:27 am It’s posts like this that make me think folks like you, LaxDadMax and ONW (or Cletus) which ever handle he goes by are reminiscent of a folk lore hero football star from Polk High, who scored 4 touchdowns in a 1966 city championship game. Having zero clue about what it takes to play and coach at this level. Maybe sitting listening to the boss’s “Glory Days” while being a keyboard critic should be reconsidered.

You all need to get some new hobbies. Here is a question for your so called downswingers. Having beaten NW, UNC and BC (past 3 National Champs). What other team holds this accomplishment?

Also, maybe brush up on some geography for ONW! Having previously referred to ND as the frauds from Nap City. Indianapolis is often called Nap City, so just a quick reminder, ND is in South Bend!

Take a lap fellas. Or just simply put me on ignore as you conveniently do with any other poster that calls you out! Back to your regularly scheduled nonsense boys. Go get it!
Like I was sayin...Frauds from Nap City. I'm only through the first half of the game and just beginning the 2nd, but it's so apparent this team wasn't ready for this particular big moment. I wonder if the fact that it took place in the postseason had anything to do with it. (That's a rhetorical question.) Same old Irish--choking in the big games. 19 turnovers was the final tally--many of them unforced. 0 saves in the 2nd half. That's how you play when you're frauds--regardless of how many veteran players fill out your starting lineup.

Obviously--I have nothing against the players. My beef with Notre Dame is, and always has been, the industrial strength hype that gets flatulated from South Bend Town every preseason. Thank goodness these pretenders will now be knocked from their perch at number one at the offices of USA Lacrosse Magazine. (I'll bet the USALM staff there are breathing a sigh of relief themselves.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Sleepdrifter is either Halfpenny herself, or a member of her staff. In any event--enjoy your crow this morning. And get ready for another plate soon enough in The Tournament.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”